Default Best hero vs. another heros's villain story?

What are the best stories where a hero temporarily battles a villain belonging to another character?

Strangely, in the early days of the Avengers before they truly had an established cast of villains (Ultron, amazingly, didn't show up until the fifth or sixth year or so) they did this story quite a bit. AVENGERS #25 had them battle Doctor Doom, who used a rumor to lure them into Latveria, where he used a gigantic plexiglas bubble that surrounded the entire COUNTRY! (Even by Silver Age standards, that's a grandiose piece of equipment).

One of the best stories of this type would have to be the Mad Thinker vs. the Avengers in AVENGERS #30, especially because of the incredible art by Don Heck; the Thinker here had perfectly normal hair, but had EYES - oh, what EYES - that were dark and totally evil, to see how rotten to the core he is. The Thinker assumed a Rodan-like pose while coming up with plans. The Thinker had a logical motivation to attack the Avengers: he wanted to steal Tony Stark's electronic secrets. The reason this story stands out is that the Mad Thinker with his supreme tactical ability, WON the day...he only lost because of Hercules's appearance, a technicality.

Another would be Magneto's battle against the Avengers in SUPER-VILLAIN TEAM-UP, where he defeats Yellowjacket and Wasp in a profoundly novel way, by magnetizing iron dust around them, and changing it into spheres, starving them of air.

Over at DC, one of the better such "villain fighting a different hero" stories is in DETECTIVE COMICS #353 (1966) “The Weather-Wizard’s Triple-Treasure Thefts” by Gardner Fox back when trading foes was infinitely less common. The premise had Weather Wizard trading his digs in Central City for Gotham.
    "Golf is a mental disorder."
    - Edgar Rice Burroughs, LOST ON VENUS (1932)

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
    - Peter David

julianperezconquerstheuniverse.blogspot.com

Barnstaple,Devon soon to be a ghost town with 11 supermarkets and no high street!

this is a really difficult question to answer - a random suggestion is Marvel Team-up 59 and 60 with Spidey, Yellowjacket and the Wasp fighting Equinox, who, if memory serves originally fought the Torch and Iceman.
    That may not be what you meant but this is the first I came up with:o

Its also a superb story I might add
    Nothing to see here folks, go home

Oxygen Promotes Rust! Mike Kuypers's Avatar

The first time the Legion of Super-Heroes fought Darkseid ("The Great Darkness Saga"), by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen.
    Mike Kuypers

“Not to know what happened before you were born is to forever remain a child.” — Cicero

“If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.” — Earl Wilson, columnist (1907-1987)

I've always had a soft spot for Thor vs. Magneto in Journey into Mystery #109. Those who see Mags as above mere crime should get an eyeful of the swag he keeps in his cabin aboard his sub... including, if memory serves, the Mona Lisa! Thor and Mags take turns underestimating each other before Thor gets royally p.o.'d. Magneto runs off like a pussy but it's because the X-Men show up, not because he's scared of Goldilocks. You gotta admire Lee and Kirby's chutzpah tossing Thor into the middle of the X-Men's running war with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and leaving him all wtf at the end of the story.

I also enjoyed seeing Thor hand the Super-Skrull his ass in Thor #142.

Cei-U!
    I summon le creme de la crossovairs!
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 10-02-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

DC: Mordru versus the Justice Society, in JSA #1-4. EDIT: Actually, it's looking like Mordru is now more of a JSA villain than a Legion villain. In that case... I loved the one-time match-up between Etrigan and Lobo. Not because it was cool, but because it was fun.

Marvel: Daredevil versus Kingpin, in Daredevil #170. Kingpin versus Daredevil was such a better matchup than Kingpin versus Spider-man that it became permanent. I guess that doesn't count as temporary, in which case I fall back on Defenders versus Zodiac, in Defenders #48-50. That story was wildly fun at times, but also unexpectedly mature in certain scenes.
    Last edited by Shellhead; 10-02-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Mr. Fantastic vs. Dr. Octopus in Fantastic Four #267. This fight is overshadowed by the revelation at the end of the issue (that Sue lost the baby), but it's still a fun fight between two guys with huge tentacles. ;)
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Cei-U, speaking of Kirby tossing his classic villainous creations about from title to title, made me think of another example from the King's masterful run on Thor. Though Galactus was introduced in the pages of the Fantastic Four in one of the most memorable story arcs ever brought to comics, I still look back to the planet-eater's first epic serial within Kirby's own Thor title as responsible for not only some of the best Galactus visuals ever rendered, but for a pretty decent story arc as well.

Great fight between Venom + Superman in ALL Access #1. Venom really gave Superman a battle

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Welcome to CBR, mos3l3y.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Len Wein? and Dick Dillin? JLA issue circa... 110? Ish?

Where the JLA fought the Injustice Gang and randomly decided which hero should fight which villain. I think they threw all the names in a hat or something. Batman was mad.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

I thought Spider-Man's battle with Typhoid Mary was pretty crazy. I forget what issue it is, but I know I have it. The story was great too.

One of the most interesting crossovers of this type was when Loki appeared in a Doc Strange story and temporarily tricked Strange into hijacking Thor's hammer. Strange acts really stupidly in order to make the unbelievable plot work, but the tale's redeemed in a sense by the very believable ending: as with the Avengers tale someone else mentioned, the story's lead hero is actually on the ropes at the climax, in this case being battered by the way superior godly power of Loki, and is only saved because the guest hero starts to home in on the situation. Loki runs off, Thor loses the "scent" and never knows wtf was going on, and Strange is left to feel realistically chastened by having met a superior power that would have finished him.

Supes SO should've taken out Venom easy
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...