Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Default The Nerds Are Breeding - Baby Names!

This came in the paper. Now I've met parents who've named their kids Arwyn and the like. There's also a fearsome number of gothchicks who go from naming themselves Lilith5646 on livejournal to burdening their offspring with that handy moniker. But this takes the biscuit - Blade?

Blade, Bronte and Spike among new baby names
    Parents are naming babies after film and TV characters, with Blade and Bronte among the more unusual names registered in recent months. Mylo, Kofi, Spike, Kiki and Luna are other quirky names identified by Bounty, which provides support packs for new mothers. Details were recorded for more than half the 700,000 babies born in the past year, the Times Educational Supplement reported. Six boys were named Blade, and 22 babies were called Spike. Simon Williamson, Bounty's managing director, said: "Jack was the number one boy's name again, for the 11th year running."
    Press Association

Some Buffy fans in the mix there too.

BANNED

What parent would name their kid Spike? You name your dog Spike, not your kid. Man, that is just asking for psychological problems down the road.

I want to name my kid after a chain-smoking, remorseless vampire that is permanently stuck in the '80s.
    --

"Yay now is fighty time fighty time, blood blood blood."

BANNED

as long as there's a Kal-el and a Harley Quinn walking this earth, I have no problem with any of the name's above.....

We're expecting in March, and I've (rightly) been handed down a "no comic book names" rule. What the hell are these parents thinking?
    ____
    Dan

What ever happened to good christian names?

Y'know. Like Eegah and Yor.
    Last Son of Detroit

WRTA / Twitter
    / Bijou In Midnight Blue

Veteran Member Spackling Compound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March
    This came in the paper. Now I've met parents who've named their kids Arwyn and the like. There's also a fearsome number of gothchicks who go from naming themselves Lilith5646 on livejournal to burdening their offspring with that handy moniker. But this takes the biscuit - Blade?

Parents are naming babies after film and TV characters, with Blade and Bronte among the more unusual names registered in recent months. Mylo, Kofi, Spike, Kiki and Luna are other quirky names identified by Bounty, which provides support packs for new mothers. Details were recorded for more than half the 700,000 babies born in the past year, the Times Educational Supplement reported. Six boys were named Blade, and 22 babies were called Spike. Simon Williamson, Bounty's managing director, said: "Jack was the number one boy's name again, for the 11th year running."
    Press Association

Some Buffy fans in the mix there too.
    Oh, Bounty...now that's a hell of a name.
    Spack, I don't agree with you on much, and I rather think you're something of a dick, but you are occasionally funny as hell. Jeffrey W.Kramer
    “Those stories do what superheroes do best - they save you." Tom Batuik on Superman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrank
    as long as there's a Kal-el and a Harley Quinn walking this earth, I have no problem with any of the name's above.....
    I don't really see the problem with Kal-el and Harley Quinn, though. I mean, Harlene is at least a normal name, and Kal-el can be just shortened to Kal, which sounds normal enough. The only problem will be that most people will assume that it's spelled "Cal".

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grazzt
    I don't really see the problem with Kal-el and Harley Quinn, though. I mean, Harlene is at least a normal name, and Kal-el can be just shortened to Kal, which sounds normal enough. The only problem will be that most people will assume that it's spelled "Cal".
    Jon Bogdanove's son is named Kal-El.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Hey, you're not dead! Gilda Dent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March
    Press Association
    Blade is a little unusual, and Spike seems like a bit much of a tough guy expectation, but I see no real problem with the rest.

Gilda "shining child" Dent
    Passion is nice wherever you find it. Character is what matters, not gender or race.

~Kelly Chambers

Well, I get no points for originality. My son will be born in January. His name will be "Jackson" but we are already calling him "Jack".

Several years ago, before the first X-Men movie, my wife and I decided that we would name our son "Logan" because it was a semi-unusual name that everyone didn't have. Now there are a shitload of little Logans running around, probably due to moms that thought that Hugh Jackmon was hot in X-Men.

I read somewhere that the frequency of "Xander" has shot up in the last few years.

Whedon probably shouldn't have waited until the sixth season to clarify that it was short for "Alexander."
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake
    Jon Bogdanove's son is named Kal-El.
    Didn't Nick Cage name his spawn Kal-El too?
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pullmann
    I read somewhere that the frequency of "Xander" has shot up in the last few years.

Whedon probably shouldn't have waited until the sixth season to clarify that it was short for "Alexander."
    <--- Tina

While short for many names that's what appears on my birth certificate
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pullmann

Actually, when Buffy first started, I went to wb.com to get an episode guide and they listed everyone's full name. Xander was listed as "Alexander 'Xander' Harris." So it was Alexander from the start, just off-screen.

Also, Kal-El is a Jewish name of somesort. And, yes, Nicholas Cage did name his son Kal-El.
    Free your soul and let it fly....