Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gambit has one of the best X-names, a great set of powers, and dialogue that could write itself under a decent writer. I never understood how this character lost my interest. I understand a "faux" step, but for the majority of his career as an X-Man? I always like when a character can pick a lock by charging a toothpick with kinetic energy. I'm not worried about Gambit's future. Some writer will force his comeback down our throats.

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi
    You said all that needed to be said. We can close this thread now.
    Agreed CE_Rap nailed it. Any suggestions for who we should discuss next? I vote Storm myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CE_Rap
    Fun-loving, sauve, bad-ass-----anyone part of a creative team with Gambit only need follow these three steps. Stir in a jar, and you've got a homegrown Ragin'-Cajun.

Is anyone familiar with the Jim Lee "X-Men/Wildcats" story that came out years ago? In it, Gambit wore pretty much the same outfit (his classic one), but instead of magenta, it was silver, as were his boots. THAT was my favorite look. But if he were to, say, actually have a role in teh "X-Men" movies, i think i'd want him to have a costume like this.

My alterations would be an all black breastplate. Since it's metallic-like, the reflections off of lights (different colored lights, specifically) would allow for interesting effects. The boots would be the same, all black, then just give him a long leather black coat. Long dark hair, black eyes with red irises, four day old stuble, and there you go. The X-Treme costume would have worked if the coat was black too.

Anyway, onto the character himself. Everyone who said care-free, fun-loving, carpe diem-esque, woman loving charmer with a dark past---BRAVO! He's lost that appeal horribly, dragging not only him, but Rogue as well.

I think the problem was that he just got too serious. I wanted him to be really witty and stay that way. But he didn't. Gambit and Rogue's relationship should have been the most fun to observe of all the other X-relationships. The way it was in the beginning of vol. 2 (X-Men) is the way it should have stayed. Even AFTER they were an item!! He should always be flirting and being suave to every female in the mansion, pissing Rogue off, but in a comical way. I think the cartoon did this REALLY well for the most part. They were so funny together. Then, every ONCE in a while, you show that the scoundrel has a heart. Maybe he'll finally say just the right words that really make Rogue melt. He'd be so sauve about it that she'd blush, but she'd still keep her guard up. And of course, he'll be charming some other girl the very next day. ;)

And by charming, i mean being witty, not being a desperate, snatch hungry, immature boob! Gambit's should be the epitome of cool, not a stupid teenager who can't keep his hormones in check. He and Rogue should be in love, but i wish they never fell so hard/so fast/so foolishly. It should have been played with for much longer. They should've really had to "court" each other, both of them attracted to the other and feeling the chemistry, but never devulging their pasts, unsure if they can trust each other.

What i loved about Nicieza (if that's wrong, sorry) is that Gambit was being very inventive with his powers. GAmbit #1, vol. 3-----I think Gambit was in the air for that entire issue. :p
    I never even knew Gambit could channel his abilty through other places besides his hands. Spitting a charged piece of gum at Executioner was SICK!! Charging someone's belt in a fight, OMG!! That's stuff he should've been always doing! The cards are a very nice graphic element to him, so that's why i like them. They've become like Cyke's visor/Wolverine's claws/Kitty's dragon---an extension of him that makes him recognizable.

I like his connection to Sinister, personally. The mutant massacre is a bit much though. I wish instead of having something that retconned the massacre, he was just a long time partner of Sinister's. As in, Sinister was his "agent" for most of his jobs for years. I mean, that alone is bad enough. And i think that would have maintained the element of his mystique. Maybe he found out about Sinsiter's hand in the massacre, and that's why he quit.

When he comes back, i hope he loses the gas S___, cuz that's just stupid!! Turn him back to normal, give him kinetic eye beams (:D that'd be fun:D ), and call it a day. No more whining "Roguie-this--Remy-that"
    If you aren't working for Marvel, you should be.

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

In addition to what has already been said, I think some characters can be rejuvenated by being associated with another character. Most people agree that the Gambit/Rogue pairing has been disastrous for both characters, and that it's time to put an end to that association.

Now, if Remy and say, Scott Summers were to become friends, I think it would create all kinds of interesting developments for both characters, not unlike what has happened throughout the years with the Logan/Kurt friendship. The uncontrollable charming scoundrel and the straightlaced neurotic leader would be great foils for each other.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mirrorball Man
    In addition to what has already been said, I think some characters can be rejuvenated by being associated with another character. Most people agree that the Gambit/Rogue pairing has been disastrous for both characters, and that it's time to put an end to that association.

Now, if Remy and say, Scott Summers were to become friends, I think it would create all kinds of interesting developments for both characters, not unlike what has happened throughout the years with the Logan/Kurt friendship. The uncontrollable charming scoundrel and the straightlaced neurotic leader would be great foils for each other.
    This is just one of the reasons why i'm not a big fan of seperate casts. No intereaction.

There are actually a number of characters who I'm aware (from what I've read) have never really interacted much.

Gambit - Shadowcat
    Gambit - Nightcrawler
    Bishop - Havok

Those are just off the top of my head.

I do seem to recall Scott and Remy having increasingly friendly conversations towards the end of Fabes run. Not that Gambit let his guard down, but he wasn't out n out antagonistic towards Cyclops.

feck feckity feck feck feck
    Last edited by Tobias March; 10-01-2006 at 09:32 AM.

damn double damn daymn
    Last edited by Tobias March; 10-01-2006 at 09:31 AM.

As far as friendships go, the ones that interested me the most were ones with Logan and Nightcrawler. Logan draws out the brooding badass part of Gambit while I imagine NC would bring out the mischevious scoundrel aspect of him. A friendship with Colossus could be interesting.

I find the idea of Gambit and Nightcrawler interesting, but I've always had a thing for Gambit and Bishop.

Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar

That's the kind of dynamic he has with Storm. Why repeat it?

Hi-Fi, Tobias March, and Canemacar/

Thanks for your kind words. Very appreciated.:) (Marvel is getting within my grasp, in case anyone cared)

Tobias March, one conversation between Gambit and Cyke that i really loved was during Uncanny #318/ the issue where Jubes was leaving for Generation X. They had a great convo in which Gambit was teasing/admiring Scott for having found in Jean such a good woman.

When Cyke asks Gambit "And what you have with Rogue, what do you call that?" --to which Remy replies (with a sinister grin) "I guess it depends on what day of the week it is." That's always been one of my favorite interactions between X-characters. (And Lobdell wrote that )

If anyone wants to tackle Storm, too, I'm game. Although we'll have to change the Thread's name:)

I wouldn't exactly call storm straightlaced and neurotic, i think most of that was washed away after her Mohawk period, long before Gambit came around.
    If anything Storm can sometimes be a little too secure about herself, almost aloof is she doesn't guard herself against it, remnants of the time she was called goddess and the fact she can fend for herself quite well.

Scott on the other hand is pretty uptight, brooding and filled with selfdoubt even when he tries to put up a tough front.

Not exactly the same dynamic.

Plus Storm and Gambit kissed one time, i haven't seen that kind of dynamic between Scott and Gambit yet ;p

Then stay away from fanfics.

Vicious and Delicious mastaflan's Avatar

Gambit should have stopped hanging out with the X-mena long time ago. He should have joined the Thunderbolts instead or become a regular in Cable Deadpool.
    Marvel's underappreciated characters: The Shroud, The Ringer, Trapster, Blackwing, Darkhawk, Prodigy, Annex, Nightwatch, Force, CPT Ultra, Solo, Pulsar, Sabra, Wonder Man, Speed Demon, Blizzard, Tristam Silver, Taskmaster. Underappreciated X Characters: Gambit, Deadpool, Phantomex, Exodus, Dazzler, Stacy X, DC's underappreciated characters: Azrael, Catman, Jack Knight, Jason Blood, Triumph, The Ray, Richard Dragon, Prometheus, Conner Hawk, Anarchy, Firestorm.