Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    30th-century wonder SamuraiJack's Avatar

*re-reads above posts*

Glad to see I'm not the only well-balanced person here!

I use longboxes. Recently I started to not put my comics back into the bag after re-reading, because I have the feeling that they are starting to smell strange after being polybagged for several years.

The Survivor Grouch Hulkamaniac's Avatar

I use both long and short boxes (depending on the runs and contents of the box) and I bag and board all my stuff inside those boxes and double board certain issues depending on value and how much I love that comic:D .
    Most of my stuff are in boxes but like 5% are out in stacks, drawers etc. and a small percentage of that are not boarded.

no one puts them on a shelf?

i have a really small room in my house next my bedroom that i believe was made to put towels and other stuff in there (i really dont know). but they have shelves so i put all my comics on there

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

I put them on bookshelves! Does that count?

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Well, I must say... the future looks pretty bright for those of us collectors that actually take care of our collections. ;P muahaHAHAHAHA

To answer the question, though:

I store all of my comics, bagged and boarded, in long boxes (some short). The Drawer Boxes seem like a really good idea, IF you have a lot of room to stack. I have about 7000 comics, so that's not going to work for me, unless I get myself some warehouse/office space in a remote location (coming soon!). ;P

I keep all books in the same way. New books are bagged/boarded, old books are bagged/boarded, etc, etc. This is done for organizational purposes. All books are kept in alphabetical order, as well. I've been keeping them in order or release date, lately, though... too lazy to insert new comics where they should go, etc, etc. It's a lot of work. =/

lost in the cyber dungeon The Xenos's Avatar

I put issues in bags and boards. I finally got all my comics sorted into boxes, regular short boxes. I have about 41 boxes of issues. I also have some boxes of trade paperbacks and graphic novels as I need to get new bookshevles for them. We're rearranging the house, so hopefully I will finally get shelf space to put all my trades and also my manga and smaller sized graphic novels.

I do have a number of older comics piled up in paper bags. Some are in bags/sleeves and some are loose. All are in paper bags from the newstand or comic store I bought them at. They're piled up in a what used to be a liquor cabinet. Those could go into boxes after getting bagged and boarded.

Oh wait. I also used to store comics in binders with plastic sleeves, no backings. Not too keen of that in hindsight. I have a number of those around that I should transfer into bags and boards. I have a row of them in a bookshelf.
    Xenos

I use these boxes, from the Container Store: http://www.containerstore.com/browse...RODID=10017276
    They fit about 200+ books each (unbagged/unboarded)

I think they look a little classier than the standard long box. I've labelled each box with a P-Touch, indicating what books are inside. I then keep the boxes on shelves, along with my trades and hard covers.

I don't generally bag and board, except for the occasional book that I think will potentially have some real value.

Default Safe collecting

All mine are bagged, backed, and boxed. I'm looking foward to getting some millcases for some of them and then on to display they go.

Not the Real Dee Snider DeeSnider's Avatar

Hmmm, have to say I'm suprised by how casually a lot of you store your comics. I recently got back into collecting after a 10-15 year hiatus, and have been sturggling with where to store mine. They're all bagged and borded in short boxes, but where to put those boxes is starting to be an issue. I can't leave them unboxed (if they're bagged) because I have two cats who like to eat plastic more then tuna. A few chewed up comics on the floor taught me that lesson quick.
    I've got a short box on my desk that all new comics go into, and whenever I feel like reading, I sit down and pull some from that box. Every month or so I file the ones I've read into the big collection.

Weird for weirdness' sake ACertainMrDoe's Avatar

Default Collecting for reading's or for collecting's sake?

I read my comics and put them on a shelf. In times where even golden age material is reprinted for cheap, and where even moderately successful series get republished in TBP, I don't see any need for collecting comics and putting them in plastic bags where the poor things can't breath and slowly but surely die of loss of social interaction and human attention.
    But then I'm the type of reader who wouldn't even think in my wildest dreams of spending more than 40 bucks for ANY kind of comic (and even then, i would want to have at least 400 pages!). Why should I buy a 30 year old printing of an old title, when i can get a new printing in higher quality of it?

Quote Originally Posted by ACertainMrDoe
    But then I'm the type of reader who wouldn't even think in my wildest dreams of spending more than 40 bucks for ANY kind of comic (and even then, i would want to have at least 400 pages!). Why should I buy a 30 year old printing of an old title, when i can get a new printing in higher quality of it?
    Damn right. I get mosts of my books of eBay these days where I pretty much never have to pay more than £5 for a GN

do any of you guys NOT bag and board your comics?

because lately.. it's been more of a chore than anything.

one side of me says i should bag and board all my comics because for the most part i'm not going to read them anytime soon and just in case if i ever wanted to sell some stuff on ebay i can.

then there's another part of me that says man none of these new comics i buy every wednesday are ever going to go up in value, just put them in the comic box and even though it may "degrade" in 20 years, it should still be fine.

of course i'd bag and board anything i'd consider valuable.. just talkin bout the modern comics

so what do most of u guys do?

oh and i'm a little twisted on how i store my comics, i seem to change my mind every few weeks or so. but at the mean time, i bought 8 of these comic drawer short boxes here

http://www.comicsupply.com/product_i...ab6e006c6694f3

i guess they're imitation to the other infamous one, but i prefer short boxes over long boxes. well i think i have more than 8 boxes worth of comics so i think i'm going to be in a dilema

i previously stored all my comics on a shelf, but the thing is, it's a huge shelf so if i pull out comics in the middle of it, everything starts to collapse and fall over and it gets real messy. can't seem to find a good solution for it atm, any suggestions? ^__^

Weird for weirdness' sake ACertainMrDoe's Avatar

Default I had an evil idea...

... to solve your storage problem:

for 32-page-comics simply get yourself a hole-puncher and a big folder... ;-)

NAAAA! Even me wouldn't recommend that to anyone! Please don't quote me! ;-)