Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question about storage of comics

I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have recently started collecting comics again. I collected them when I was younger but stopped several years ago. I have between 1,500 and 2,000 in my collection. I just wanted to know how most of you stored you collection. Mine are currently in comic book bags with the cardboard backing. Then I store them in a large rubbermaid container. Does it hurt to lay them flat or should I get the cardboard boxes that store them upright? How do you all store them. Thanks.

bump to the top

30th-century wonder SamuraiJack's Avatar

I'm probably in a small minority here, but I store mine, bagless no less, in the standard cardboard comic boxes you can find in your LCS. Since I have no intention of reselling them or ever getting rid of them (I have two kids, ages 7 and 4, who LOVE superheroes and having daddy read to them) they're gettting no special treatment from this collector. Plus they get used so much that the concept of 'preserving' them in plastic bags seems silly IMO.

I think about it like toy collecting. I don't want to have it in the package, I want to USE it...

I'm the Best at What I Do Sorcerer Supreme's Avatar

I store mine bagged, boarded and boxed, with the nmore valuable ones bagged, boarded and in a couple of carboard backed envelopes.

Does anyone use Millcases or Drawerboxes, if you dont know what I'm talkin about, check these:

http://www.millcase.com/

http://collectiondr.temp.powweb.com/

The drawer boxes look awesome, I dunno about the milcases though.
    Defenders | PunisherMAX | Winter Soldier

Also constantly picking up old limited runs.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer Supreme
    Does anyone use Millcases or Drawerboxes, if you dont know what I'm talkin about, check these:

http://www.millcase.com/

http://collectiondr.temp.powweb.com/

The drawer boxes look awesome, I dunno about the milcases though.

I've been using the Drawer Boxes for about a year now and love them. They are much sturdier than normal long boxes and much more convenient. I've got about 174 of them and I think that they are far superior to normal long and short boxes.
    CBR Staff Writer
    www.ComicBookPage.com

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    I'm probably in a small minority here, but I store mine, bagless no less, in the standard cardboard comic boxes you can find in your LCS. Since I have no intention of reselling them or ever getting rid of them (I have two kids, ages 7 and 4, who LOVE superheroes and having daddy read to them) they're gettting no special treatment from this collector. Plus they get used so much that the concept of 'preserving' them in plastic bags seems silly IMO.

I think about it like toy collecting. I don't want to have it in the package, I want to USE it...
    You're obviously too well balanced for this board!

Back in Black...again Pheonix-NoRelation's Avatar

Does anyone use Volstor? They look really good. I don't know where to buy them though b/c I'm in America & it seems as though they only sell them in the UK.

30th-century wonder SamuraiJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj
    You're obviously too well balanced for this board!
    That's not what the therapist says, but I agree! I just wish more people could see it that way.

I need a life- or something...

i have all of mine, new and old, mixed in together, stacked in piles, in draws under the bed. only a few issues have any sort of plastic bag on them, and even then, its usually a larger one that contains a bunch of issues in one go. i have a large collection of old stuff now, but thats only because i went on some insane quest to actually collect up all the old issues i'd lost and then was so zapped by the nostalgia bug that i decided to complete some of the runs. jli ftw!

i read them so often that i don't see the point in bagging them up - plus, theyre not ancient....only from the late eighties / nineties. if one of my jla comics fell out the window or whatever, its not like there isn't a gigantic supply available from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack

I agree.

While I don't necessarily store them in boxes, I do store them in a stack in one of my drawers. I have some in those plastic bags with cardboard backs, but only because I bought them like that.

Basically, my Manga collection is shelved, while my graphic novels and comic books are stacked side by side inside the drawers.

I have nowhere near 1,000 to 2,000 comics though. I've only recently started re-collecting them again.

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

I should have them in boxes. I mostly have them in piles on bookshelves.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Boxes here, too. Or else pile on the floor. They do get a little bendy, which is sort of annoying. But I'm too lazy to stick cardboard backers on all of them.

My "expensive" comics are in kind of bad shape, but I've got a few books in the 50-100 buck range even counting that. Those usually just get bagged, 'cause I don't have any boards big enough for them, but I do try to stuff enough other crap in it so that they stay upright.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin
    I should have them in boxes. I mostly have them in piles on bookshelves.

-Brian
    Take out the bookshelves and you've got my situation.

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Apodaca
    Take out the bookshelves and you've got my situation.
    Really?

Wow - how the heck do you keep them from falling?

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin
    Really?

Wow - how the heck do you keep them from falling?

-Brian
    I pretty much don't. They're definitely piles, and not stacks.

I live in a very messy house.