Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin
    What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?

You're certainly very welcome to assume that it's lame. You're justified in avoiding it based on your dislike of the genre. But you really don't know that it's lame without watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazzt
    I hate Titanic, despite never having seen it. And I'm willing to stand by that hate, as well, despite how illogical it is to hate something you've never seen.

Thank you for making my point.

At least you recognize that it's illogical. That's a beginning.

BTW, your opinion of Titanic has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega
    Slam, you're edging into heated territory here, brother!

Don't you recall the many vociferous, angry debates Joe and I have been on the bad-guy side of?

If you say that objective quality does not always equal personal enjoyment, and most uninformed opinions are meaningless, you become an "elitist", and people will get very angry.

I don't really post on the Superman bpard anymore, after the mod told me that "all opinions are valid". Um, no they're not. many people talk out of their ass, and Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.

For a recent example of a variation on this debate, check this out: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=144869

Yeah, I'm aware. I've even been involved in a few of those discussions peripherally.

If I'm elitest, so be it.

I'm not really sure how a butchers son from Idaho who reads "Yellow Peril" lit can be elitest, but so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    BTW, your opinion of Titanic has no meaning.
    Of course my opinion on Titanic has no meaning. I have no skill or experience in any field to give my opinions any real worth, least of all in movies (even those I have seen).

Hey, you're not dead! Gilda Dent's Avatar

I think all informed opinions are valid, but they don't all carry the same weight. How much weight an opinion should be given varies depending on the amount of information a person has regarding X specifically, the amount of education, training, and practical experience with the artform of which X is a member, and the skill with which that opinion can be expressed, defended, and adapted to new information.

There's nothing wrong with making initial judgements based on limited information. It's how we choose what to read, which movies to see, what comics to read. Such initial judgements should, however, be presented and interpreted as just that, judgements made for the purpose of self selection. They tend to be of little value regarding the worth of a work as a whole.

However, it is sometimes possible to gather information enough to make a relatively reasonable initial judgement without direct experience. I haven't seen every Ed Wood movie, but I have seen three of them, and I am aware of his professional reputation enough that I don't think it's unfair of me to say that it's very likely that Night of the Ghouls is a bad movie.

Of course, someone who's seen it will have more information on which to base her opinion, so, depending on other factors, that one would likely carry more weight.

Gilda
    Passion is nice wherever you find it. Character is what matters, not gender or race.

~Kelly Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by TheTen-EyedMan
    P.P.S. I remember California.
    I remember traffic jams...
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

I agree with Mr. Bradley.

If something doesn't appeal to you, don't say, "I hate it" if you haven't seen it.

You can say, "I'm not going to watch it because there's a damned good chance I'll hate it." That's logical.

Like That Moulin Rouge movie - there's a damned good chance I'll hate it, so I won't see it.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    You're certainly very welcome to assume that it's lame. You're justified in avoiding it based on your dislike of the genre. But you really don't know that it's lame without watching it.
    Patrick Swayze?
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Quote Originally Posted by Valmore

If something doesn't appeal to you, don't say, "I hate it" if you haven't seen it.

You can say, "I'm not going to watch it because there's a damned good chance I'll hate it." That's logical.

Like That Moulin Rouge movie - there's a damned good chance I'll hate it, so I won't see it.
    But if we follow your advice, there will be no thread. Do you really want the blood of this thread on your hands?

And for me at least, saying you hate something sight unseen is usually just shorthand for saying "I'm not going to watch it because there's a damned good chance I'll hate it." I mean, look at the reasons I gave for hating Titanic. Most of them were reasons for not watching it in the first place.
    Last edited by Grazzt; 09-28-2006 at 11:15 AM.

We really need to stop agreeing. This is getting scary.

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin
    What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?
    Lame it may well be but it's an excellent make-out-on-the-couch-while-watching-it-with-your-girlfriend movie.

Cei-U!
    Gets horny whenever he hears "Unchained Melody"!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega
    Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.
    That *is* a compliment, right?

Cei-U!
    I summon the insecurity!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Bad luck on you. Baz Luhrmann is a lot of fun. I'd recommend checking out Strictly Ballroom as a taster, though. Or his Romeo and Juliet.
    one of the highest principles of America is that we're a nation of people from different backgrounds living in equal dignity and mutual loyalty - Eboo Patel.

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U!
    That *is* a compliment, right?

Cei-U!
    I summon the insecurity!
    But of course. I needed, for that example, someone I have disagreed with from time to time, but whose critical skills and knowledge I respect.

And also, we're pals. So I could point out that you are a better human being than the average "spwn rulzzzz!11!!!1!!!!" jerk-off.

I hate groin injuries.