Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 106
  1. #1
    Idaho Spuds Slam_Bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    16,477

    Default I hate "X", even though I've never read, seen, heard it.

    Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine. But increasingly I see the statement, I hate (insert movie, book, etc.), but I haven't seen, read, heard it. You're wasting perfectly good hate on something you've never experienced?

    Worse than "I hate it" is "it sucks...I just know it does." You don't know shit. You may suspect it sucks, but you don't know diddly.

    I have no problem with "it's not something that interests me." I'm even ok with "it doesn't look good." No problem. We all have limited time and certainly can't be expected to read every book, see every movie, listen to every album. I make choices based on what I can expect to like or dislike.

    What I don't do is Hate for no reason or decide something "sucks" when I have no basis to do so.

    Maybe this all comes back to the phenomenon of the worth of opinions. At some point in the recent past it seems to have become standard to say that all opinions are valid.

    Hogwash! You certainly have a right to your opinion (at least in this country). However, that doesn't mean that your opinion is valid. Opinions based on nothing are useless and should be given no credence.

    Maybe I shouldn't expect people to think logically. Or even to think at all before they speak or write. But I keep hoping.

    End of rant...

    for now.

  2. #2
    BANNED TheTen-EyedMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wonderland?
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    I've never had homosexual sex but I'm sure I'll hate it.

    Not Homosexuals though.

    There is a difference.

    You can like men but not have sex with them.

  3. #3
    The only prescription... HomerJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    Opinions based on nothing are useless and should be given no credence.
    Thank you.
    Couldn't agree more. Ironically, this happens a lot in both the fanboy community and right-wing protestors. When someone tears something up without EVER HAVING SEEN IT, it drives me nucking futs. Anytime a close friend or family member does it I just straight-up tell them, "I won't respect your opinion on this until you actually read/see/hear it." Some get irritated with me and some realize what they said and agree with me.
    If what I said can be interpreted as something else and I offended you, I meant the OTHER thing.
    Otherwise, refer to this link: http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/humor.htm


    "With great genitals, comes great responsibility." - Ray R

  4. #4

    Default

    "Hate" is the wrong word for me. I'd be more in the category of "unwilling to give it a chance." I won't form a criticism of it or denounce it sight unseen, but life is short. Sometimes you have to take a best guess and go with what you consider the safe plays and avoid the low percentage stuff.

    Now I admit that, in the past, this attitude caused me to miss out on something I later found out I'd really like. The recent (vol 1) She-Hulk is a good example, comics wise.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

    Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Stellar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Paramaribo, Suriname
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    you know, i learned this last year when i was working at an internet cafe. we had fames like medal of honor and every time the guys invited me to play i declined cuz i felt the game was stupid. after some persuasion i tried it, and i've been addicted ever since. so yeah, i learned to try something before i make a statement about it

  6. #6
    Idaho Spuds Slam_Bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    16,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar
    "Hate" is the wrong word for me. I'd be more in the category of "unwilling to give it a chance." I won't form a criticism of it or denounce it sight unseen, but life is short. Sometimes you have to take a best guess and go with what you consider the safe plays and avoid the low percentage stuff.

    I have no problem with this. We all make choices based on limited time. I generally don't watch horror movies. Not my cup of tea. I don't read romances. Not my thing.

    I have no problem with those choices and they're perfectly logical.

    What doesn't make sense to me is going on a tirade about something you've never experienced. And then...the capper...getting upset when it's pointed out that you have no idea what you're talking about.

    If I ever do this, you have my permission to smack me upside the head with a two-by-four.

  7. #7
    internet pope howyadoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    35,945

    Default

    What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

    song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

  8. #8
    BANNED TheTen-EyedMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wonderland?
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin
    What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?
    No...it's a fait accompli.

  9. #9
    CotM Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,924

    Default

    Slam, you're edging into heated territory here, brother!

    Don't you recall the many vociferous, angry debates Joe and I have been on the bad-guy side of?

    If you say that objective quality does not always equal personal enjoyment, and most uninformed opinions are meaningless, you become an "elitist", and people will get very angry.

    I don't really post on the Superman bpard anymore, after the mod told me that "all opinions are valid". Um, no they're not. many people talk out of their ass, and Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.

    For a recent example of a variation on this debate, check this out: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=144869

  10. #10
    Swing your razor wide. Grazzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    6,852

    Default

    I hate Titanic, despite never having seen it. And I'm willing to stand by that hate, as well, despite how illogical it is to hate something you've never seen.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Stellar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Paramaribo, Suriname
    Posts
    2,775

    Default

    is there a reason you hate it?

  12. #12
    BANNED TheTen-EyedMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wonderland?
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar
    is there a reason you hate it?
    Leonardo Di Caprio.

    The only two things that stopped me from doing something bad to James Cameron were Kate Winslet's boobies and the fact that he was married to Linda Hamilton, which is punishment enough.

  13. #13
    Ruby Quartz Club Band Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Posts
    6,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTen-EyedMan
    Leonardo Di Caprio.
    I have a somewhat similar attitude towards DiCaprio, BUT I'm eagerly waiting for The Departed. With a cast and director that strong, plus the fact that it's a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time (Infernal Affairs) makes me all giddy with joy, and it might be the movie where I become a fan of DiCaprio.

  14. #14
    Swing your razor wide. Grazzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    6,852

    Default

    It wasn't so much DiCaprio. I dislike most romance movies and most disaster movies, so Titanic had nothing to offer as far as the genre was concerned. It is also an incredibly long film, making it hard for me to allot time to sit through it (particularly because when my family rented movies, I always rented a video game. I can't remember what distracted me when they rented Titanic, but I think it was probably a SNES RPG, maybe Ogre Battle). I also consider "My Heart Will Go On" to be the worst Celine Dion song ever (and I actually liked her older stuff, like "It's All Coming Back To Me Now").

  15. #15
    BANNED TheTen-EyedMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wonderland?
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grazzt
    It wasn't so much DiCaprio. I dislike most romance movies and most disaster movies, so Titanic had nothing to offer as far as the genre was concerned. It is also an incredibly long film, making it hard for me to allot time to sit through it (particularly because when my family rented movies, I always rented a video game. I can't remember what distracted me when they rented Titanic, but I think it was probably a SNES RPG, maybe Ogre Battle). I also consider "My Heart Will Go On" to be the worst Celine Dion song ever (and I actually liked her older stuff, like "It's All Coming Back To Me Now").
    Dear Condi...please close the border with Canada now.

    Love

    Ten-Eye.

    P.S. Thank you for the candid shots you sent me of yourself. They helped during those long winter months.

    P.P.S. I remember California.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •