Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default I hate "X", even though I've never read, seen, heard it.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine. But increasingly I see the statement, I hate (insert movie, book, etc.), but I haven't seen, read, heard it. You're wasting perfectly good hate on something you've never experienced?

Worse than "I hate it" is "it sucks...I just know it does." You don't know shit. You may suspect it sucks, but you don't know diddly.

I have no problem with "it's not something that interests me." I'm even ok with "it doesn't look good." No problem. We all have limited time and certainly can't be expected to read every book, see every movie, listen to every album. I make choices based on what I can expect to like or dislike.

What I don't do is Hate for no reason or decide something "sucks" when I have no basis to do so.

Maybe this all comes back to the phenomenon of the worth of opinions. At some point in the recent past it seems to have become standard to say that all opinions are valid.

Hogwash! You certainly have a right to your opinion (at least in this country). However, that doesn't mean that your opinion is valid. Opinions based on nothing are useless and should be given no credence.

Maybe I shouldn't expect people to think logically. Or even to think at all before they speak or write. But I keep hoping.

End of rant...

for now.

I've never had homosexual sex but I'm sure I'll hate it.

Not Homosexuals though.

There is a difference.

You can like men but not have sex with them.

i'm pretty good at determining things i'd not like before i experience them. so if i say "i never (verbed)-ed it, but i don't like it", i'm saying it with near 100% certainty.

The only prescription... HomerJay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    Opinions based on nothing are useless and should be given no credence.
    Thank you.
    Couldn't agree more. Ironically, this happens a lot in both the fanboy community and right-wing protestors. When someone tears something up without EVER HAVING SEEN IT, it drives me nucking futs. Anytime a close friend or family member does it I just straight-up tell them, "I won't respect your opinion on this until you actually read/see/hear it." Some get irritated with me and some realize what they said and agree with me.
    If what I said can be interpreted as something else and I offended you, I meant the OTHER thing.
    Otherwise, refer to this link: http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/humor.htm

"With great genitals, comes great responsibility." - Ray R

"Hate" is the wrong word for me. I'd be more in the category of "unwilling to give it a chance." I won't form a criticism of it or denounce it sight unseen, but life is short. Sometimes you have to take a best guess and go with what you consider the safe plays and avoid the low percentage stuff.

Now I admit that, in the past, this attitude caused me to miss out on something I later found out I'd really like. The recent (vol 1) She-Hulk is a good example, comics wise.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar
    "Hate" is the wrong word for me. I'd be more in the category of "unwilling to give it a chance." I won't form a criticism of it or denounce it sight unseen, but life is short. Sometimes you have to take a best guess and go with what you consider the safe plays and avoid the low percentage stuff.

I have no problem with this. We all make choices based on limited time. I generally don't watch horror movies. Not my cup of tea. I don't read romances. Not my thing.

I have no problem with those choices and they're perfectly logical.

What doesn't make sense to me is going on a tirade about something you've never experienced. And then...the capper...getting upset when it's pointed out that you have no idea what you're talking about.

If I ever do this, you have my permission to smack me upside the head with a two-by-four.

What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin
    What about Ghost? I know it's a chick movie with Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg in it. Do I need to sit down and actually watch it to know it's lame?
    No...it's a fait accompli.

You're certainly very welcome to assume that it's lame. You're justified in avoiding it based on your dislike of the genre. But you really don't know that it's lame without watching it.

Lame it may well be but it's an excellent make-out-on-the-couch-while-watching-it-with-your-girlfriend movie.

Cei-U!
    Gets horny whenever he hears "Unchained Melody"!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Howy has a point, some movies just plain suck, and you actually can tell by looking at the box.

CotM Member

Slam, you're edging into heated territory here, brother!

Don't you recall the many vociferous, angry debates Joe and I have been on the bad-guy side of?

If you say that objective quality does not always equal personal enjoyment, and most uninformed opinions are meaningless, you become an "elitist", and people will get very angry.

I don't really post on the Superman bpard anymore, after the mod told me that "all opinions are valid". Um, no they're not. many people talk out of their ass, and Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.

For a recent example of a variation on this debate, check this out: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=144869

I hate Titanic, despite never having seen it. And I'm willing to stand by that hate, as well, despite how illogical it is to hate something you've never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega
    Slam, you're edging into heated territory here, brother!

Don't you recall the many vociferous, angry debates Joe and I have been on the bad-guy side of?

If you say that objective quality does not always equal personal enjoyment, and most uninformed opinions are meaningless, you become an "elitist", and people will get very angry.

I don't really post on the Superman bpard anymore, after the mod told me that "all opinions are valid". Um, no they're not. many people talk out of their ass, and Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.

For a recent example of a variation on this debate, check this out: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=144869

Yeah, I'm aware. I've even been involved in a few of those discussions peripherally.

If I'm elitest, so be it.

I'm not really sure how a butchers son from Idaho who reads "Yellow Peril" lit can be elitest, but so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega
    Cei-U's views hold more sway than some Newsarama-Roxxors! dimwit.
    That *is* a compliment, right?

Cei-U!
    I summon the insecurity!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me