Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men #191 : Summary. Spoilers. Discussion!!!

This issue wasn't as good as the previous three ones, maybe because it was mostly exposition and no action. It also feels weird with Clayton Henry pencilling instead of Bachalo, not to mention that there's no Bobby in it!!!

It begins with Serafina in Sam's head, creating an illusionary life where they're co-workers in some company firm and they begin to know each otehr better- and flirt. Serafina looks really dorky in that goth-doll costume now that Bachalo's not the one drawing her!!

Meanwhile, Sabretooth spills the beans about how he met the Children. He says he was had a blind contract on killing two dozens of over-aged scientists in Peru, and while killing the last one he made a discovery. That the last scientist was the one who hired him, and that he did it because he was guilty over something and he wanted to cover it (and that the other scientists were part of it too.) But now the scientist changed his mind about dying. Sabres kill him anyway (:p ), but not before he gets some information. The scientist talked about a ship named "Conquistador" that hid the most precious thing in the world.

Cut to Sam's imaginary life. In a fast-forward montage, he dates with Serafina ("Sarah" in the illusion) they get married and have two kids. Sam thinks that something feels wrong, that something's missing, but Serafina throws more illusions on him and erases the kids off his mind, cuz "she liked it better when it was the two of them".

INTERLUDE: A zombie-like guy walks to the institute's gates and is intercepted by two O*N*E guards. Zombie-guy dies by himself, after saying some weird stuff. My bet is someone's jumping from body to body (Proteus-style) and used that body to get to the mansion.

So Sabres' flash-backing about himself and this other mutant henchman named Pasco finding the ship in the middle of the ocean, where it went unchecked by everyone. It was M-Day, and just as they were banging on some walls trying to open them up the flash hits them and Pasco loses his powers. Then the Children of the Vault come out (at least 8 of them) and kick their asses with intimidating ease. Ferro makes Pasco a barbecued piggy, but Sabretooth escapes, and he's been on the run ever since.

Mewanwhile, Sam is getting more and more sure that something in his imaginary life ain't right. Wolverine finds Serafina and Sam at the infirmary and cuts the illusion short. Serafina kicks their asses and promptly leaves, saying that the Children of the Vault reproduce asexually, and that she wanted to see what the other options were like by herself. Then why did she have to force herself on Bobby's man, huh?? Little biatch! :evilangry

Meanwhile, Cable does a little research on his internet-mind or something and and conveniently finds out the Children's origin. Turns out those scientists that Sabes killed did some serious scientific mojo on that ship since the 70's and they grew people on the ship, that was secluded from the time-space continuum. The Children of the Vault that were left there spent 30 years in fast-forward, which means that ship actually houses a little community 6000 years old!!! The Children are normal people with abilities and science of humans 6000 years in the future, which explains why they are so bloody powerful!! Nice one. Then Cable brings out his signature big-ass gun and Rogue looks like a MILF the way C.Henry draws her!! (although I overall like his art, it seems to lack punch). They announce that they have to find why the Children need to keep their existence secret so much.

Back in the Children's ship, Agua scolds Serafina for exposing their species to the X-Men. Then he says that the time of hiding is over, and then promises a species war and mucho mucho carnage!!!!

Can't wait for the carnage, myself!!!:D
    After three issues of action, a little exposition was needed, so I can't really blame Carey or the inclusion of Henry as fill-in. There was no action in the issue, except for Sabretooth's flashback. So it's ok, I guess. But why is Bobby left out, Mr.Carey???:(
    Last edited by Mitsaso; 09-27-2006 at 01:49 PM.

I expected and wanted an issue like this explaining where The Vault came from and what was going on with Sabretooth. Hopefully we'll get a showdown in the next issue.

After three issues of action, a little exposition was needed, so I can't really blame Carey or the inclusion of Henry as fill-in. There was no action in the issue, except for Sabretooth's flashback. So it's ok, I guess. But why is Bobby left out, Mr.Carey???
    Because he's recuperating in a bath of liquid hydrogen, and the events of the issue were spread over like ten minutes of time.
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Because he's recuperating in a bath of liquid hydrogen, and the events of the issue were spread over like ten minutes of time.
    All the more reason to show us some Iceman bath beefcake scene!!!!!:evilangry
    Ahh, the opportunities Marvel misses nowadays....:(

Cable's "internet mind" is beginning to annoy me almost as much as Sage's did. Oh, and why does he need a gun the size of his torso these days? Isn't he packing an incredibly powerful force field now?

As for the rest of the issue, I honestly thought it was pretty "meh." I've been enjoying the story up to this point, but this was the turning point for me. The art was kind of bland and the origin story of the Children of the Vault was better the first time I read it in Grant Morrison's 'Assault on Weapon Plus.' I mean, seriously, artificially speeding up time in order to hyper-evolve people? Been there, done that, folks. Hopefully Carey will pick up on that and toss in a throwaway line down the road about the Conquistador project being the precursor to the Weapon Plus "World Dome" project.

Ferro = Perro, Mitsaso lover? Or Fuego? Cuz Fuego has the fire powers...

Me loves me some Perro. Can't wait for the issue. :D And yes, judging from the previews, Serafina just looks silly without Bachalo.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane
    Ferro = Perro, Mitsaso lover? Or Fuego? Cuz Fuego has the fire powers...

Me loves me some Perro. Can't wait for the issue. :D And yes, judging from the previews, Serafina just looks silly without Bachalo.
    Oh, right, nyssie honey,looks like my spanish ain't as good as they used to be...:( (that explains why I didn't score with any spanish tourist this summer!)

It's Fuego, not Ferro/Perro;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsaso
    Oh, right, nyssie honey,looks like my spanish ain't as good as they used to be...:( (that explains why I didn't score with any spanish tourist this summer!)

It's Fuego, not Ferro/Perro;)
    Thank you, Mitsaso baby.

Wait, what?! MISTASO? NOT SCORE? BLASPHEMY!!!
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Go take a chill pill ProfeZZor X's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    My guess is that he'll do a "Cable" entrance to save one of his team members in the nick of time. Then Fuego will step in to fight him... cliche'd, but worth the wait to see what new abilities Carey will give Iceman.

One of the only things I can say is, Bring Back Psylocke, she's pretty :)
    Can't wait to read this.

So this issue has more story and less action? To me that is a HUGE plus. And it sounds like a LOT happens in this issue. I cannot wait to pick it up. :D
    Farewell hair icon and glove model Anna Marie Sugah Stackhouse Darkholme O’Hara, better known as Rogue. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsmith
    Cable's "internet mind" is beginning to annoy me almost as much as Sage's did. Oh, and why does he need a gun the size of his torso these days? Isn't he packing an incredibly powerful force field now?
    Well, yeah, but a force field can't blow shit up.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

As for the rest of the issue, I honestly thought it was pretty "meh." I've been enjoying the story up to this point, but this was the turning point for me. The art was kind of bland and the origin story of the Children of the Vault was better the first time I read it in Grant Morrison's 'Assault on Weapon Plus.' I mean, seriously, artificially speeding up time in order to hyper-evolve people? Been there, done that, folks. Hopefully Carey will pick up on that and toss in a throwaway line down the road about the Conquistador project being the precursor to the Weapon Plus "World Dome" project.
    Actually, I think he's going to connect both on purpose.

It's his allies among the X-Men that need the force field. Cable is swinging that rifle around at waist level with his finger on the trigger in a room full of fellow X-Men, and no visible or apparent threat. If he sneezes, he's going to cut someone in half.

If I walked into my local gun shop/shooting range like that, they'd kick me out with a warning never to return.

Meanwhile, I really enjoyed the issue, storywise. Carey is not disappointing.

Peace,
    Syzygy
    Last edited by Syzygy; 09-27-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

This was the weakest so far, but still good. Perhaps because it was most exposition than anything else. But still a good read. Carey writes a really good Sabretooth.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.