Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default NYC proposes banning Krispy Kreme doughnuts

Well, in an indirect way:

City Wants to Ban Some Fatty Foods in Restaurants

"Thousands of city eateries may have to revise their recipes for French fries, doughnuts, cookies, and other baked goods under a proposal by the Bloomberg administration to ban the use of trans fats in all restaurants across the five boroughs...

"Dunkin Donuts said it would also look at the proposal, while Krispy Kreme issued a statement saying it was "very proud" of its signature "Hot Original Glaze" doughnuts, which contain 200 calories and contain trans fat."

I don't think this kind of proposal would be quite so popular in my part of the country. A few years back, there was a bill in the Georgia legislature that would've *required* restaurants serving iced tea to serve sweet tea. It didn't pass, but it got a fair amount of support (and some derision).

You fucker!!!!!

Dick "Don't call me Colonel Flagg" Daley wouldn't dare do that.

There'd be a fatty march on City Hall.

People would die.

While I don't agree with the smoking bans, I can understand the rationale behind them to protect waiters and restaurant workers form second hand smoke.

If workers in Krispy Kreme aren't "force fed" the donuts . . then this legislation is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren
    I don't think this kind of proposal would be quite so popular in my part of the country. A few years back, there was a bill in the Georgia legislature that would've *required* restaurants serving iced tea to serve sweet tea. It didn't pass, but it got a fair amount of support (and some derision).
    Sorry for getting drifty so early, but now I realize the connection between the overly-sweet Krispy Kreme donuts I hate and the overly-sweet Sweet Tea that I hate--is that a Southern thing, the sweet tooth? I mean, is it reflected in other foods?

I just read this. They want to get rid of all trans fats in food served in the city.

It'll never happen. The NYPD aside, far too many restaurants in the city, especially the ones in the great outdoor mall that is Times Square, would be unable to meet the requirements.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Trans-fats are an ingredient, and ingredients fall to the Food and Drug Administration, not Mayor Bloomberg.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

If they're going to be banning anything, they should start with high fructose corn sugar.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Not that I support this ban, but they're not proposing banning ANY foods.

Just an unneccessary method of production that only benefits corporations and actually endangers consumers and society as a whole.

Make the damn foods without trans fats.
    Ed Contradictory: The Webcomic
    It's got pandas and robots and and stuff.
    Read it and stuff!
    Become a columnist for YourMomsBasement!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pullmann
    I just read this. They want to get rid of all trans fats in food served in the city.

It'll never happen. The NYPD aside, far too many restaurants in the city, especially the ones in the great outdoor mall that is Times Square, would be unable to meet the requirements.
    If you tolerate this, then your adipose tissue will be next!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ontir
    Trans-fats are an ingredient, and ingredients fall to the Food and Drug Administration, not Mayor Bloomberg.
    The City Department of Health is allowed to make its own additional regulations, as long as they don't conflict with the federal guidelines.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Why can't they just require restaurants to specify items that contain TFA and how much they contain?

If I want McDonald's fries, I am not there for my health - I am there because the fries taste damn good.
    John Hancock

My wife called me about this earlier this morning. Both of us have been predicting the banning of "unhealthy foods" for quite some time.

Smoking
    Fatty foods
    Alcohol.

Apparently the lessons of prohibition have been forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by EdContradictory
    Not that I support this ban, but they're not proposing banning ANY foods.

Just an unneccessary method of production that only benefits corporations and actually endangers consumers and society as a whole.

Make the damn foods without trans fats.
    Sounds nice on the surface..........

......but eventually people will say "Stop producing food with calories in them!" and laws will be passed doing just that.

Then we're eating gov't approved rations and anyone eating other types of food are hunted down in the streets and re-educated in Guantanamo-like prisons.

This is what happens when we give 'em a little bit of rope: they'll find a way to hang us with it eventually... :p

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    My wife called me about this earlier this morning. Both of us have been predicting the banning of "unhealthy foods" for quite some time.

Smoking
    Fatty foods
    Alcohol.

Apparently the lessons of prohibition have been forgotten.
    Slam, how's about you, me, and Dread get the ball rolling and start some Breatheheavies?

Can't wait for the movie on fatty food-running:

The Undigestables.

Wonder who'll play Eliott Mess?

Doc 'These Aren't the Donuts You're Looking For' Absurd
    'And if *that* doesn't leave me without a stain on my conscience, then I don't know *what* it doesn't leave me without a stain on.' -- Bertie Wooster