Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pee-Wee Football is starting

Pee-wee football is starting. Nathan is playing on a grade 3-5 team. Connor is on a K-2 team. Nathan is the tallest on his team (by far) and the second biggest overall. Connor is the smallest...by a bit.

I've been helping out with practices. Nathan has been playing offensive tackle (they really aren't putting a lot of work in to defense beyond get the guy with the ball). And I've been going up against him to work on his blocking. He can't stop me but he's trying really hard and I think he'll be good against the smaller guys he'll be playing.

Connor...well he's trying. And at age 5 that's good enough. His first game is tonight.

I'll report back on the results of this importants sporting contest.

Sounds like fun Slam.

My 10 year old likes backyard football, but doesn't seem too interested in putting on the pads.

I didn't start until 7th grade. Great fun and memories. We went undefeated and won the Pop Warner championship in 8th grade. OUr sponsor was the local Fraternal Order of Police, and we were the FOP Pigs. Heh.

Thats awesome Pee-Wee football was great times. Except the weight limit but i dont think they do that now. Im actually helping out our local team 3 nights a week. They dont get many volunteers so its pretty cool you take time to do that.

Your 5 year old plays with pads or flag cause that what they do out here??

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1214
    Thats awesome Pee-Wee football was great times. Except the weight limit but i dont think they do that now. Im actually helping out our local team 3 nights a week. They dont get many volunteers so its pretty cool you take time to do that.

Your 5 year old plays with pads or flag cause that what they do out here??

Flag...in both cases. Nathan will start tackle next year. He didn't want to play tackle this year because it had been too long since he played last. And, frankly, with the job change I didn't have the money or the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley
    Flag...in both cases. Nathan will start tackle next year. He didn't want to play tackle this year because it had been too long since he played last. And, frankly, with the job change I didn't have the money or the time.

Thats cool. Tackle is real tough to teach younger kids. I know some towns dont even offer football so its good that your town offers both.

Does he also play on a hockey team?

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Good luck to your sons on their football games. Keep us updated. I'll be sure to read.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by i_mmmchocolate
    Does he also play on a hockey team?

No. No hockey in our town.

Nathan is a big swimmer. He was on swim team this summer.

Connor we're going to start in Tae-kwon-do after football is over.

Connor had his first game last night. His team lost. He mostly played on the line...and really doesn't have the hang of it.

I asked him if he had fun and he said yes. Which is the important thing.

Nathan's first game is tonight.

No. No hockey in our town.

Nathan is a big swimmer. He was on swim team this summer.

Connor we're going to start in Tae-kwon-do after football is over.

Connor had his first game last night. His team lost. He mostly played on the line...and really doesn't have the hang of it.

I asked him if he had fun and he said yes. Which is the important thing.

Nathan's first game is tonight.
    Good for you, Slam. You're right that it's about having fun.

And I'll perch on my soapbox to say I think it's right to keep it flag football rather than tackle. I'm going to wait until my little guy Denny (he's two and a half now) is fourteen before I'll allow tackle, but we'll get involved in the flag football and tae kwan do as soon as he's ready.

I think coaches should let each kid play every position at that age.

Most of these kids won't have the speed to play a glorified "skill position" in high school, so let 'em enjoy running, throwing, and catching the ball while they're young.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow
    I think coaches should let each kid play every position at that age.

Most of these kids won't have the speed to play a glorified "skill position" in high school, so let 'em enjoy running, throwing, and catching the ball while they're young.

Myself and a couple of other dads were more than a little irritated with his coach. The team they were playing did a good job of subbing kids in and at different positions. Connor's coach didn't and it was pretty obvious that he was favoring the better players. At K-2 that's very unnecessary.

But then I thought that I didn't take the time to volunteer to coach. And as long as Connor says he's having fun I'll deal.

Myself and a couple of other dads were more than a little irritated with his coach. The team they were playing did a good job of subbing kids in and at different positions. Connor's coach didn't and it was pretty obvious that he was favoring the better players. At K-2 that's very unnecessary.

But then I thought that I didn't take the time to volunteer to coach. And as long as Connor says he's having fun I'll deal.
    I coached soccer at that age for the local YMCA league. I always made it a point to rotate the kids through the positions.

By the end of the season, the kids would figure out the goalie position best, and no one would score, or the score would be 1-0. So I would always try to convince the other coach to leave the goal open (no goalie) so the kids could have more fun.

It should be about fun and learning rather than winning at that age.

I'm amazed that some of these coaches were so competitive. There were many times I wanted to ask these guys, "Is your life so lame that you have to live vicariously through your 6 year old?"

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Did Connor play on the offensive or defensive line?
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Hunker down!

Out of curiousity, why TKD?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke
    Did Connor play on the offensive or defensive line?

Both. There are 11 kids on the team, but they're playing 8-man ball.