Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    pcs webmonkey
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    36

    Default PCS previews 9/27 - Amazing Spider-Man #535, Front Line #6

    PopCultureShock Previews updated with last minute looks at Amazing Spider-Man #535, Civil War: Front Line #6 (different pages than elsewhere), Heroes for Hire #2 (same pages but bigger images, I think) and more hot books out tomorrow.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-26-2006 at 06:21 PM.

  2. #2
    Member / Bon Vivant Soundrave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,642

    Default Front Line #6 Preview [SPOILERS]

    Ben Urich is asking questions about Tony's relationship with the Green Goblin, and Tony isn't thrilled about it.

    "So what I want to know, Mr. Stark: was it overwhelming arrogance or just overwhelming stupidity that led you to make a deal with the devil known as the Green Goblin?"
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-27-2006 at 07:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Guy Miss Kitty Fantastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    669

    Default

    I wouldn't be thrilled with having that question put to me either - that's not journalism, it's editorialism. Urich doesn't want to hear Tony's answer, he just wants to rant at him, and put a question mark on the end of it.

    I'm not saying his point of view isn't valid - but the Embedded strand of Front Line is supposed to be about the war as seen by the press, and right now that's not the role Urich is playing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Damn, Urich better run!

  5. #5
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    I wouldn't be thrilled with having that question put to me either - that's not journalism, it's editorialism. Urich doesn't want to hear Tony's answer, he just wants to rant at him, and put a question mark on the end of it.

    I'm not saying his point of view isn't valid - but the Embedded strand of Front Line is supposed to be about the war as seen by the press, and right now that's not the role Urich is playing.
    Well the fact that the Goblin (while under Stark's "control") almost killed Ben would understandably color his perspective on the story. In any event, the role of the press is to ask questions that the puiblic wants answers to. Regardless of his personal issues, Ben's question nicely fulfilled that mandate.

  6. #6
    Bow Before Me! TotalWorldDomination's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manhattan, New York
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    wow. Frontline is once again attacking the Pro-Reg side. Shock of all shocks. :rolleyes:

    Now that I'm past my little "Civil War is so Biased it makes me retch all over myself" outburst, I do understand Urich a little better then Sally Floyd who has seemed nothing more then a 2 dimensional character to me.

    Urich is afraid of the Green Goblin, and he wants Stark to answer for it. Is it good journalism? Nope, but then again, is there any journalist in the nation who doesn’t imbue there writing with personal grievances? This is not meant to exonerate Urich from reporting like a reporter should, it's rather to indict the whole system and say that urich is behaving like his real-world counterparts do.
    I'm STILL with Iron Man.

  7. #7
    Guy Miss Kitty Fantastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    Regardless of his personal issues, Ben's question nicely fulfilled that mandate.
    I disagree - Tony probably would've walked away in either case, not wanting to discuss his nano-villain hit squads, but the way to get answers to questions 'the people wants answers to' is not to lay into the interviewee with everything you've got. You ask the questions, plain and simple, and let the facts speak for themselves. I understand perfectly why Urich is pissed as all hell, but that was poor journalism.

  8. #8
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    I disagree - Tony probably would've walked away in either case, not wanting to discuss his nano-villain hit squads, but the way to get answers to questions 'the people wants answers to' is not to lay into the interviewee with everything you've got. You ask the questions, plain and simple, and let the facts speak for themselves. I understand perfectly why Urich is pissed as all hell, but that was poor journalism.
    I disagree. There are any number of ways to get answers, and asking subjects loaded questions designed to piss them off or catch them off-guard (thus getting them to respond without thinking or internal editing, which is more likely to produce honest, unfiltered responses) is, in fact, a standard tactic among journalists interviewing reticent or hostile subjects.
    Last edited by kalorama; 09-27-2006 at 09:33 AM.

  9. #9
    Guy Miss Kitty Fantastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    I disagree. There are any number of ways to get answers, and asking subjects loaded questions designed to piss them off or catch them off-guard (thus getting them to respond without thinking or internal editing, which is more likely to produce honest, unfiltered responses) is, in fact, a standard tactic among journalists interviewing reticent or hostile subjects.
    That's true - however, you don't do it to make someone hostile. I mean, what in hell did Urich think Stark would do? I can only assume he thinks that Stark storming off like that is proof enough of the Goblin deal that he can take it to Jonah, but frankly, I wouldn't buy it one way or the other. It can be interpreted as Stark thinking "Heck, the nerdy guy in the dumb helmet's on to me - better get out of here. Iron Man away!" On the other hand, it could equally be interpreted as Stark thinking "Oh great, another crazy from the left-wing conspiracy theory brigade... I've got better things to do with my time than talk to this guy, I've got a Carol Danvers clone in my trailer..."

    It was very dramatic and all, and heroic for Urich in a David and Goliath kind of way (bad timing for that reference, but still)... but given how Front Line has been undermining its outstanding writing with moments of obvious bias, I'm getting a bit short of patience with this kind of thing.

  10. #10
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    That's true - however, you don't do it to make someone hostile.
    Sure you do. Asking questions designed to elicit angry, unguarded response is common practice among people whose job it is to get at information other people don't want to get out. Journalists, cops, lawyers all use it all the time. No big deal at all. Certainly not controversial in any way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    I mean, what in hell did Urich think Stark would do?
    He most likely thought, or hoped, that Stark would get so pissed off that he'd say something unguarded, something Urich could use as a peg in his story. Again, SOP for journalists. Was it rude, impolitic, manipulative? Sure. Was it in any way unethical? Not even a little bit.
    Last edited by kalorama; 09-27-2006 at 09:50 AM.

  11. #11
    Guy Miss Kitty Fantastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    Was it in any way unethical? Not even a little bit.
    I'm not talking ethics, just professionalism. Stark's not some two-bit mook who's never seen the business end of a zoom lens before, he's not going to be caught off-guard by a threatening question and blurt out the truth before he can stop himself. I'm sure Urich could rationalise it to himself as an interviewing strategy, but he had a chance to get Tony Stark's words on the biggest event of the war to date, and his first question was, basically, "Don't bother answering, I've made up my mind."

  12. #12
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    I'm not talking ethics, just professionalism.
    Urich is a professional journalist reporting an important story. His job is to get answers from a guy who pretty clearly has stuff he doesn't want out in the public. He's under no professional obligation to be nice to Stark or treat him with kid gloves. As long as he's acting within the accepted boundaries of his professions code of ethics (and he was well within them) then he's acting in a professional manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    Stark's not some two-bit mook who's never seen the business end of a zoom lens before, he's not going to be caught off-guard by a threatening question and blurt out the truth before he can stop himself. I'm sure Urich could rationalise it to himself as an interviewing strategy, but he had a chance to get Tony Stark's words on the biggest event of the war to date, and his first question was, basically, "Don't bother answering, I've made up my mind."
    Tony Stark is a human being under a lot of pressure. Human beings under pressure are quite often quick to anger and quick to say things that they may regret. Urich's a seasoned vet and he certainly understands this. That was, pretty clearly, one of his motivations for that particular line of question, rude and nasty though it may have been. In fact, in many of the other stories in which he's appeared over the years, he's been shown to use the exact same tactics against other high profile subjects with something to hide, including Wilson Fisk and Norman Osborn, to so some success. There's no reason to think he should abandon it against Stark just because he's, nominally, one of the "good guys."
    Last edited by kalorama; 09-27-2006 at 10:00 AM.

  13. #13
    Guy Miss Kitty Fantastico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    he's been shown to use the exact same tactics against other high profile subjects with something to hide, including Wilson Fisk and Norman Osborn, to so some success. There's no reason to think he should abandon it against Stark just because he's, nominally, one of the "good guys."
    It's got nothing to do with him being a good guy, and everything to do with him being a smart guy. Tony Stark had information, and it was Urich's job to get it out of him. He got nothing. He can gloat all he wants about pissing Tony off, and believe that it vindicates him, but the fact is he came out of that 'interview' with not one iota of information more than he went in with.

    And frankly, if he wanted to spring the Goblin question on Tony, he should've sprung it, not begun by laying out how he'd seen the Goblin, and realised he was under someone else's control, blah-di-blah... There's no way Tony was surprised or shocked in any way. He had all the time in the world, while Urich was talking, to realise what he knew, and that a nasty question was coming.

    Like I said, I understand why he did it, and in his place, I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same. But as a journalist, I believe he could've done his job better.

  14. #14
    I'm here for your women Oggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Third mud ball from the sun
    Posts
    6,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama
    Sure you do. Asking questions designed to elicit angry, unguarded response is common practice among people whose job it is to get at information other people don't want to get out. Journalists, cops, lawyers all use it all the time. No big deal at all. Certainly not controversial in any way.



    He most likely thought, or hoped, that Stark would get so pissed off that he'd say something unguarded, something Urich could use as a peg in his story. Again, SOP for journalists. Was it rude, impolitic, manipulative? Sure. Was it in any way unethical? Not even a little bit.
    Journalism 101. The line of question Urich is asking is a Leading Question in which he is hoping to direct Stark into admitting what Urich is attempting to prove. In journalism, that is a BIG no no because Urich is not interested in printing the facts but rather his own skewed opinions on Tony. Sure, he got attacked by GG, but that does not warrent that degree of unprofessionalism. If he wants his opinions known, then he should write for the editorial page, not a news column.

    Another thing, journalist...good one's at any rate will never verbally attack a source because that's a wonderful way to ensure you will never get another interview with that person again. Unfortunately, since the time of Woodward and Bernstein, every journalism now wants to bring down the President. That's why I got out of that field, no integrity.
    Co-Winner of Character Creation Battle # 2
    Won Character Creation Battle # 5
    Finalist of Tami's Create a Martial Artist Tournament

    Winner of Cleric of Hell Brigade's Secret Marvel Tournament
    Winner of KJS1982's Video Game, TV, Movie, Comic/Book Tourney

    Won the Internet: 1 time
    Awesom Award: 2 times

    Shamelessly plugging my fanfiction:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/576259/

    That which does not kill you, pick up a knife and make sure it doesn't get a second chance.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    I'm not talking ethics, just professionalism. Stark's not some two-bit mook who's never seen the business end of a zoom lens before, he's not going to be caught off-guard by a threatening question and blurt out the truth before he can stop himself.
    Unless he was drunk. After all, how long is it (Marvel time) since his drunked outbursts at the UN. So Urich probably thought that it was worth a shot.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •