Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    ALL FEAR SQUIRREL GIRL!! dougputhoff's Avatar

Default NBC censors "Veggie Tales"

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_4383381

Yeah, heaven forbid NBC should make a reference to God on a TV program.

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

As much as I hate being hit over the head with religious stuff as an adult it didn't bug me as a kid. It bugged my parents that it didn't bug me tho.

It's freaky Veggie Tales.
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

Quote Originally Posted by dougputhoff
    http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_4383381

Yeah, heaven forbid NBC should make a reference to God on a TV program.
    Or maybe they just don't want to advocate one brand of religion when they're trying to reach a broader audience than just christian kids? I wouldn't let my kids watch that show if it preached Christianity to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Lee III
    Or maybe they just don't want to advocate one brand of religion when they're trying to reach a broader audience than just christian kids? I wouldn't let my kids watch that show if it preached Christianity to them.
    But that's what Veggie Tales is about

"VeggieTales" is a collection of animated home videos for children that encourage moral behavior based on Christian and biblical principles.

Made for you and me. DrewTheXenocide's Avatar

So don't let 'em watch it. It doesn't mean it shouldn't be made available to those who do like it, though.

It doesn't sound like that's what's happened. The videos are still for sale, aren't they? NBC chose to alter the content slightly for their broadcast of the show, and that's their right. It wasn't the Govnerment stepping in and telling them what to do, or that they un-cut episodes could no longer be sold. If the "Veggie" people don't like it, they can not renew their distribution deal with the network, and seek another outlet. Given that the series has been going for several years, and has had a feature film, as well as being from the same company that's doing the Chronicles of Narnia books, it's not like their going to just fade away.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Big Hairy Member JeffreyWKramer's Avatar

NBC was stupid for bringing this stuff to network Sat AM. The Veggie Tales people are stupid for not reading the contracts.

In any case, preaching doesn't belong in Saturday AM general programming.
    My Cooking Blog!

KRAMER'S LAWS:
    1) Most people are stupid.
    2) Most people who aren't stupid often behave as if they were stupid.
    3) Many people who are not stupid nonetheless believe a lot of astonishingly stupid things.

“really? isnt the bible millions of years old?” – curefreak
    “Yep. It was originally written by a stegosaurus and a fern.” – Dan Apodaca

Allah help me, but I'm actually going to agree with the PTC. NBC knew what "Veggie Tales" was when they bought it. If they didn't want a show that preaches Christian values and beliefs they shouldn't have bought it.

It's like giving Jerry Fallwell an hour on your show and ordering him not to talk about how everyone that doesn't believe as he does is a heathen, or giving Howard Stern a show and telling him he can't make fun of homeless or retarded people.

I'm not saying NBC isn't within their rights, but they should have known angry Christians would be the result and avoided the whole thing to begin with. Stupid greed.

Well, then NBC should not have licensed Veggie Tales from the creators. Taking God out of Veggie Tales is like removing the oxygen molecules from water--it's not water anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by DrewTheXenocide
    It doesn't mean it shouldn't be made available to those who do like it, though.
    It IS available for anyone who wants it the same way it has been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM
    Well, then NBC should not have licensed Veggie Tales from the creators. Taking God out of Veggie Tales is like removing the oxygen molecules from water--it's not water anymore...
    Oh no, the artistic integrity of talking vegetables is has been compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by xnef1025
    If they didn't want a show that preaches Christian values and beliefs they shouldn't have bought it.
    Why not when they can alter it to suit their needs? It's no different than how Power Rangers was altered to changed Japanese kids to American kids while keeping the clips of the fight scenes and villians. Should Fox/Saban not have licensed Power Rangers if they didn't want a show where 6 year olds had to read subtitles?

Eh, kinda lame, really. "Veggie Tales" is an unabashed cartoon about Christianity and its teachings/values. Taking "God" out is kind of changing the entire theme of the show, which is a lot different than changing Japanese language to English language to let American kids understand whatever is going on. Still, the DVDs are available, and one should always read the fine print of a contract.

Kind of dumb on both sides.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

Oh no, the artistic integrity of talking vegetables is has been compromised.
    I know you say this as a joke, but, seriously, where would YOU draw the line, then? Is this not somebody else's creation being altered? Veggie Tales or the Mona Lisa, art is art, where's the real difference besides format and what text books dictate to people in school?

Having a religious program on saturday morning isn't a bad thing, if it's obvious from the get-go, that that's what you're getting into. I used to enjoy the Davy & Goliath show, and that featured "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" as it's theme, but they let you know, right from the beginning what the show was about. If "stealth" is part of the proselytizing, then I have to question what the people behind the show are about.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Did NBC not take a look at what VeggieTales are before making the deal?
    -Exit the LoneWolf

Founder of the Latverian Resistance: "Down with Doom!"

EXTERMINATE! -Any Dalek

There's nothing "stealth" about Veggie Tales. The characters at the end even tell you that "God made you special and loves you." The stories are clearly Biblical allagory and quote scriptures.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"