Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How did Cap know?

In CW #4, Cap talked about the "Frankenstein's" that Tony Stark and Reed Richards are creating...

My question is, has there been a comic where Cap finds out about this stuff? Or are we just to assume since he was with S.H.E.I.L.D. that he knows about what they are researching/developing?

Bow Before Me! TotalWorldDomination's Avatar

I think that Cap has to have a Spy in the Pro-Reg faction. He simply knows too many things (like knowing about Clor) to just hear them throught the grapevine.

I also think tony's remark about how some anti-reggers are talking about coming over indicates he has a spy in the Anti-Reggers.
    I'm STILL with Iron Man.

I think it's simply that he knows it wasn't the real Thor, he knows the three leading pro-reg heroes are all EXCELLENT scientists, and he has had some time to thought and put two and two together,

But yeah, both sides probably have spies.
    "After all, John McCain's led a very Biblical life. Like his namesake Cain, he is not afraid to go negative on a brother. Like John the Baptist, he paved the way for the new Messiah, and like Moses, he takes advice from a Bush who is going up in flames."- Stephen Colbert

Not to my knowledge. However the miniseries is a very broad-strokes thriller, fast-paced and dealing only in key exposition, leaving it to the reader - and the tie-ins - to fill in the blanks. I think it's likely, given that Cap is using ultra-secret SHIELD safehouses, with the blessing of Nick Fury - not to mention Cap's own resources - that he's got a lot of ways of getting information out of them. Whether that'll be shown in one of the upcoming tie-ins, or simply be left as the unseen but most likely explanation of what we do see, who knows? The three-issue arc of Captain America starting this week may shed more light on the subject.

As previously mentioned, Cap has been using SHIELD bases (or former bases) so it is safe to say that he may be getting some info from SHIELD itself. I also do believe that there may be certain individuals who may be playing both sides of the conflict to their interest.

I do have to say that this is one of the best crossovers I have read.

Cap does have Cable which pretty much means he can get any information he wants.

He also has hercules to tell him about the death of thor and all of asgard.

I think the better question is, if Cap knew, why didn't he tell the people on his side? Not exactly the best kind of leader not to tell your troops what they are in for.

Who bare the Mark becominAfanAgain's Avatar

......... Good point MakeMineMarvel.....
    Last edited by becominAfanAgain; 09-25-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Cap's running a resistance; he must know you don't stay in business by telling everyone everything. No doubt his core group knows as much as he does, but I don't get the impression that he and Cable were buddies, or even really saw eye to eye on the whole resistance deal - Cable pretty much tries to talk him out of it in Cable/Deadpool #30, and as we saw in this most recent issue, while Cable is certainly anti-reg, he's not committed to the Secret Avengers as the only possible way of fighting the good fight. All in all, not someone you'd want to trust with all your secrets.

And that's not even taking into account people like Nighthawk or Cassie Lang, those who're not really committed when the going gets tough, or who are simply too young or inexperienced to be able to cope with a killing war. You only show your cards to the people you know are going to be with you to the end, and who the enemy cannot break - everyone else gets kept at arm's length.

Bow Before Me! TotalWorldDomination's Avatar

Actualy Cable probably was the source, when he confronted the President he said he agreed with registration, just not the 50 state initative. Cable's whole "I am the Internet" thing lets him acess everything, so why not tell cap "Listen, I think you should know tony and reed are planning on cloning us all and using them as a national superpolice... Ok, I'll see you later."
    I'm STILL with Iron Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kitty Fantastico
    Cap's running a resistance; he must know you don't stay in business by telling everyone everything. No doubt his core group knows as much as he does, but I don't get the impression that he and Cable were buddies, or even really saw eye to eye on the whole resistance deal - Cable pretty much tries to talk him out of it in Cable/Deadpool #30, and as we saw in this most recent issue, while Cable is certainly anti-reg, he's not committed to the Secret Avengers as the only possible way of fighting the good fight. All in all, not someone you'd want to trust with all your secrets.

And that's not even taking into account people like Nighthawk or Cassie Lang, those who're not really committed when the going gets tough, or who are simply too young or inexperienced to be able to cope with a killing war. You only show your cards to the people you know are going to be with you to the end, and who the enemy cannot break - everyone else gets kept at arm's length.
    Falcon didn't seem to know and one would assume he was the first person he would tell. And maybe Goliath would not have charged at Clor if he knew he was a clone...

Who bare the Mark becominAfanAgain's Avatar

We have to remember that Cap know Thor better than any moral. I am figuring that with their friendship he know that the real Thor would never kill a fellow hero like that. And he did have full access to S.H.I.E.L.D records (and he is friend's with Nick Fury) at one time so he might have cross the files at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_Tomasi
    In CW #4, Cap talked about the "Frankenstein's" that Tony Stark and Reed Richards are creating...

My question is, has there been a comic where Cap finds out about this stuff? Or are we just to assume since he was with S.H.E.I.L.D. that he knows about what they are researching/developing?

And this is why Civil War would fail Creative Writing Class 101. :rolleyes:

teenagers across america supply cap with everything he needs to know. i suspect the cloning complex janitors┤kid told him...

Quote Originally Posted by bulbasteve
    I think the better question is, if Cap knew, why didn't he tell the people on his side? Not exactly the best kind of leader not to tell your troops what they are in for.
    Good point, I agree. It is manipulative no matter which side. Cap is guilty here as Stark is being called on in regards to Spider-Man, these leaders are only telling people what they deem they need to know. It is really the least of what I see Tony Stark doing, but is wrong nonetheless just as it is with Cap doing it. How would any of these heroes feel if they find out the whole truth and the knowledge of which would have changed their side for the whole fight?

I really wish Marvel would publish the actual text of the Superhero Registration Act. It would make at least the legal aspects of this story much clearer. Trying to debate a law without having the full text of the law leaves too many unanswered questions. Right now it is way too ambiguous as to what is or isn't legal.

Now to answer the question of the thread: Cap most likely has a network of people he gets information from. From SHIELD's Agent 13 to Sue Richards and other people we wouldn't be able to guess right away. Maybe it's the Beautiful Blonde BBS. There is something to be said for being as old as Cap and getting around as much as he has. He knows a LOT of people, and most of them respect him.