Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Which Movie's Success Suprised You?

So I was checking IMDb, and the number three highest grossing movie of ALL TIME world wide is: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

I remember when the first Pirates movie came out, I was excited to see it, and after I did watch it I really enjoyed it, especially Johnny Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow. As much as I enjoyed it however, I never would have guessed that movie would have generated the following it did. Call me crazy, but I just didn't see that big an audience for a pirate movie, even one as good as I thought that one was. And yet the first Pirates and second Pirates movies have both outdone the first two Matrix movies, by more than $200 million each, the Matrix series being the series of movies which I though would define this generation the way Star Wars defined the 70s. Not that I'm complaining, I've always liked Johnny Depp, and I'm glad he's finally part of such a successful franchise, and I did like the first movie (haven't gotten around to seeing the second one yet).

So am I just blind, did anyone else see this coming, and what other movie's had huge success that you didn't see coming?
    I'm sure in your magical fantasy land where you and the Hulk prance around the butterscotch rivers this is what would happen. In all actuality, nope.

-raoulduke on Hulk “twisting Superman’s neck right around”

I didn't think anybody would be interested in Passion of the Christ. It's an anti-semetic snuff film in Aramaeic.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Titanic - I figured it would be lucky to break $100 million.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding surpirised me in a good way. It made smile to see a well done indie flick make tons of money.
    "Our job is to do the impossible and make it look easy." Hawk G.I.Joe #1 (marvel series)

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" Buck Murdoc Airplane II the Sequel

Favorite Writers: Geoff Johns, Larry Hama, Kurt Busiek

Favorite Artists: George Perez, Alex Ross

Favorite Heroes: Captain America, Captain Harlock, Alan Scott, Duke, Optimus Prime

Favorite Villains: Char Aznable, Darth Vader, Megatron, Dr Doom

I was very pleasantly suprised at what a smash hit The Fourty-Year Old Virgin was.

the first Austin Powers for me. I went opening night, and the theater was not very full at all. it was a very small budget movied for today, almost zero promotion and it starred a SNL guy and So I Married an Ax Murder which wasnt huge success if i remeber, plus it spoofed James Bond, which I cant see being a huge deal to your average person, yet the movied blew up and spawned 2 sequels, made Mike Meyers a huge star. Plus it was a huge pop culture, thing with countless merchandise and everyone doing crappy impressions.
    "Being a father is a lot like being the least powerful Vice President in history." - Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm
    Titanic - I figured it would be lucky to break $100 million.
    I think it had all the elements that would make mainstream America swoon (myself NOT included): A young good looking lead male actor, a tragic love story, a huge spectale with the boat sinking, lots of cheesiness (the band playing on), and Celine Dione doing a song on the soundtrack. So I wasn't so much suprised that the movie did well, but to become the highest grossing movie of all time??!! Didn't see that coming at all.
    I'm sure in your magical fantasy land where you and the Hulk prance around the butterscotch rivers this is what would happen. In all actuality, nope.

-raoulduke on Hulk “twisting Superman’s neck right around”

Quote Originally Posted by DonC
    I didn't think anybody would be interested in Passion of the Christ. It's an anti-semetic snuff film in Aramaeic.
    Well, if that's what you thought it was, no wonder you were surprised.

The Sixth Sense

Bruce Willis was getting a reputation as being a bit of a BO dud in the late 90's. No one ever heard of M. Night Shymalan. And actually if you remember correctlly, from the commercials, no one was quite sure what the movie was supposed to be about. In fact, it had little fanfare coming out. Blair Witch was supposed to be the horror event of 1999. Then boom, the Sixth Sense hit, and made careers blossom again.
    We'd like to wish EZMOHR all the best in his future....ah forget it.

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

The Fantastic Four. Apparently it did very well, and although I thought it was a terrible movie and that probably influenced my point of view, I never imagined people would get excited over this.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

The Transporter: I just figured it as one of those typical action movies. Not only was that movie successful enough to produce a equally successful sequal but it launched Jason Statham's action movie career in a big way.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Like Ekko, I was surprised by Pirates 2. I guess everyone was. I mean, regardless of my personal feelings of it, I dont think anyone could have predicted that it would make so much of an impact on the world market.

Another one was Snakes on a Plane. Wasnt that the #1 movie last week or the week before? I dont think anyone could say with a straight face that it was a good movie, wheather they enjoyed it or not. Its just surprising that a movie that was marketed on how bad it is would actually do what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
    Like Ekko, I was surprised by Pirates 2. I guess everyone was. I mean, regardless of my personal feelings of it, I dont think anyone could have predicted that it would make so much of an impact on the world market.
    Im mostly on the bandwagon with those who say that Pirates 2 was a surprisingly successful movie. Most critics even went so far as to compare Dead Man's Chest to Empire Strikes Back.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

I dont really have a movie thats success surprises me but I was surprised at how big of a box-office flop Poseidon was. They promoted it really well and movies about boats sinking usually make a good amount of money but I dont think Poseidon earned half as much as it cost, did it?
    Dean: So, what do we do now?
    Castiel: I suggest we imbibe copious quantities of alcohol... just wait for the inevitable blast wave.

is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ekko
    So I was checking IMDb, and the number three highest grossing movie of ALL TIME world wide is: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

I remember when the first Pirates movie came out, I was excited to see it, and after I did watch it I really enjoyed it, especially Johnny Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow. As much as I enjoyed it however, I never would have guessed that movie would have generated the following it did. Call me crazy, but I just didn't see that big an audience for a pirate movie, even one as good as I thought that one was. And yet the first Pirates and second Pirates movies have both outdone the first two Matrix movies, by more than $200 million each, the Matrix series being the series of movies which I though would define this generation the way Star Wars defined the 70s. Not that I'm complaining, I've always liked Johnny Depp, and I'm glad he's finally part of such a successful franchise, and I did like the first movie (haven't gotten around to seeing the second one yet).

So am I just blind, did anyone else see this coming, and what other movie's had huge success that you didn't see coming?
    I think you'll enjoy this:D
    What a ninja thinks about Pirates 2
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13