So I was checking IMDb, and the number three highest grossing movie of ALL TIME world wide is: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

I remember when the first Pirates movie came out, I was excited to see it, and after I did watch it I really enjoyed it, especially Johnny Depp's performance as Jack Sparrow. As much as I enjoyed it however, I never would have guessed that movie would have generated the following it did. Call me crazy, but I just didn't see that big an audience for a pirate movie, even one as good as I thought that one was. And yet the first Pirates and second Pirates movies have both outdone the first two Matrix movies, by more than $200 million each, the Matrix series being the series of movies which I though would define this generation the way Star Wars defined the 70s. Not that I'm complaining, I've always liked Johnny Depp, and I'm glad he's finally part of such a successful franchise, and I did like the first movie (haven't gotten around to seeing the second one yet).

So am I just blind, did anyone else see this coming, and what other movie's had huge success that you didn't see coming?