Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 86 of 86
  1. #76
    Senior Member PretenderNX01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freakzeek View Post
    How is Hal Jordan a Pilot? I mean from Secret orgins he joined the air force as soon as he turned 18( i think, its a little hazy) don't you need a collge degree to even fly in the airforce?
    Hal probably joined the Air Force at 18, started out as a simple Airman, but I'm sure, given his family background, and his natural aptitude, he might have gotten into an accelerated program and gotten a degree in avionics pretty quickly. There have been plenty of examples of military personnel who have started out in the lower enlisted ranks and risen to high ranking, command positions. Granted, most of those have been during war-time, but that's what suspension of disbelief is all about, right?
    From what I found on Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Edu...lying_Training

    The first stop for all Air Force, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve Command enlisted people is basic military training at Lackland AFB.

    After completing BMT, airmen begin technical training in their career field specialties. Instructors conduct technical training in specialties such as aircraft maintenance, electronic principles, air transportation.

    Air Force pilot candidates begin with Initial Flight Screening (IFS). In IFS, civilian instructors provide up to 25 hours of flight instruction to pilot candidates.

    Pilot candidates then attend either Euro-NATO joint jet pilot training (ENJJPT) or joint specialized undergraduate pilot training (JSUPT).
    During the primary phase of JSUPT, students learn basic flight skills common to all military pilots.

    After the primary phase of JSUPT, student pilots elect one of several advanced training tracks based on their class standing.

    I think the whole thing only takes a couple years, does anyone know how long Hal was in the service?

  2. #77
    Sannin Kage Kisaragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    7,873

    Default

    What is the exact quote for each color ring when it selects a bearer?

    Green Lantern Ring: <insert name here> of <insert planet here> you have the ability to overcome great adversity. You have been choosen to join the Green Lantern Corps?

    is it that? whats the right way and whats the other ones that the other rings use?
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

  3. #78
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Originally the ring just needed charging every 24 hours. Then it seems in Johns' GL run that the ring has a fixed charge and just needed to be recharged when the charge was low. But then in Secret origin it again says the ring needs to be charged every 24 hours. I thought this was kinda inconsistent, so is it just a combination of the two? i.e. charging when low as well as every 24 hours?

  4. #79
    Member sobek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    London, U,K
    Posts
    741

    Default

    At the end of the sinestro corps war volume 2 kilowog is shown with his family(a wife and two children). How is that possible if he his the last survivor from his planet?

  5. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kage Kisaragi View Post
    What is the exact quote for each color ring when it selects a bearer?

    Green Lantern Ring: <insert name here> of <insert planet here> you have the ability to overcome great adversity. You have been choosen to join the Green Lantern Corps?

    is it that? whats the right way and whats the other ones that the other rings use?
    - White - "[Name] of [Planet], LIVE"

    - Star Sapphire - Gets complicated. In Tales of the Corps #2, the ring initially greets Carol with the template "[Name] of [Planet], you have great loss in your heart" and then gets chatty when Carol doesn't accept right away. When Carol accepts, the ring replies with "Welcome, Star Sapphire". In Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #2, the ring greets Diana with the template "[Name] of [Planet], you have great love in your heart, welcome to the Star Sapphires". However, when the ring first greets Miri Riam in GLC, it opens with "[Name] of [Planet], you are capable of giving great love" and then they converse for awhile. When she accepts, she gets the '"Welcome, Star Sapphire" response. Finally, when Fatality is converted, ring simply says "[Name] of [Sector], welcome to the Star Sapphires".

    - Indigo - When Ray Palmer is deputized, the template is "[Name] of [Planet], you have the ability to feel great compassion, welcome to the Indigo Tribe". It is currently unknown what template is used for non-deputies and/or unwilling converts like Black Hand.

    - Blue - For both Saint Walker and Barry Allen, the template was "[Name] of [Planet], you have the ability to instill great hope."

    - Green - "[Name] of [Planet], you have the ability to overcome great fear, welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

    - Sinestro Corps - "[Name] of [Planet], you have the ability to instill great fear, welcome to the Sinestro Corps."

    - Orange - When beings are consumed by the orange light and remade as Orange Lantern constructs, the template is "[Name] of [Sector], you belong to Agent Orange". When Lex Luthor was deputized, the template was '[Name] of [Planet], you want it all."

    - Red - "[Name] of [Planet/Sector], you have great rage in your heart." When Mera was deputized, "you belong to the Red Lantern Corps" was added to the end of that. When Guy went red, it was "welcome to the Red Lantern Corps".

    - Black - "[Name] of [Planet], RISE"

    Quote Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
    But then in Secret origin it again says the ring needs to be charged every 24 hours. I thought this was kinda inconsistent, so is it just a combination of the two? i.e. charging when low as well as every 24 hours?
    Probably just meant that, with average use, the ring will run out of power and need to be recharged in ~24 hours Earth time. With less use, the ring will need to be recharged less frequently and with more use, more frequently.

  6. #81
    Senior Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sdc10 View Post
    Originally the ring just needed charging every 24 hours. Then it seems in Johns' GL run that the ring has a fixed charge and just needed to be recharged when the charge was low. But then in Secret origin it again says the ring needs to be charged every 24 hours. I thought this was kinda inconsistent, so is it just a combination of the two? i.e. charging when low as well as every 24 hours?
    Originally they needed to be charged every 24 hours.

    After Parrallax got free and Possessed Hal, the rings were upgraded. Kyle's ring was the first to have the 'finite' charge...

    When the corps were reformed and Hal came back, the new rings seemed to all have the finite charge.

    I see it as an evolution.

    Secret Origin dealt with the time period back when they still had the 24 hour limit.


    How he was able to beat yellow... that hasn't got as easy an answer
    I wouldn't call it Blackmail. I prefer Extortion! The "X" makes it sound Exciting!

    I'm drowning and Monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils! - Dilbert

  7. #82

    Default

    Apologies if this has been asked before, but I don't frequent these parts of the forum very often.

    I just read The Man Who Laughs TPB and the backup story, for lack of a better term, had Batman teaming up with Alan Scott to solve a series of murders. "Made of Wood" was the title.

    A couple of questions emerge from that:
    1) From what I can glean off Wikipedia, Scott's ring is made from the same stuff as the GLC's rings, only Scott wasn't the first to wield it? Some Asian guy had it first, but went corrupt, so the Guardians (or someone) decided to make him powerless against wood (because most ancient weapons then were wood based?). When Scott had the ring, the Guardians/GLC just didn't notice so he went under the radar. So my question is this: If the wood thing was artificially imposed on the ring, is yellow artificially imposed too? Is it imposed on an individual basis, meaning Green Lanterns could all have some kind of weakness or no weakness at all?

    2) The story said Scott's turf was Gotham City. I think it also depicted a child Bruce Wayne meeting Green Lantern at the end. Generally the story acted like Scott and Batman had never really teamed up before. But Scott and Batman were published right around the same time and were active in the same period. I assume Scott actually roamed Gotham in the Golden Age and that wasn't some kind of absurd retcon? If he did, why was it like he never worked with Batman before? Is this due to one of those Crisis retcons?

  8. #83
    Senior Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but I don't frequent these parts of the forum very often.

    I just read The Man Who Laughs TPB and the backup story, for lack of a better term, had Batman teaming up with Alan Scott to solve a series of murders. "Made of Wood" was the title.

    A couple of questions emerge from that:
    1) From what I can glean off Wikipedia, Scott's ring is made from the same stuff as the GLC's rings, only Scott wasn't the first to wield it? Some Asian guy had it first, but went corrupt, so the Guardians (or someone) decided to make him powerless against wood (because most ancient weapons then were wood based?). When Scott had the ring, the Guardians/GLC just didn't notice so he went under the radar. So my question is this: If the wood thing was artificially imposed on the ring, is yellow artificially imposed too? Is it imposed on an individual basis, meaning Green Lanterns could all have some kind of weakness or no weakness at all?
    This is from a retconned story. Originally GL vol3 #25 It did show that the ring was an official guardian ring and that the weaknesses were artifical to keep the GLs from being TOO powerful.

    Since that ancient Asian GL was SOOOOO great, they removed his weakness. Then he became a tyrant. So they changed it to wood. PRECISELY because ancient weapons were wood based and the GL had some humility beat into him.

    However since then, Alan Scott is tied directly into the starheart and 'magic' with no connection to the GL rings other than the guardians originally created (bound) the Starheart.



    2) The story said Scott's turf was Gotham City. I think it also depicted a child Bruce Wayne meeting Green Lantern at the end. Generally the story acted like Scott and Batman had never really teamed up before. But Scott and Batman were published right around the same time and were active in the same period. I assume Scott actually roamed Gotham in the Golden Age and that wasn't some kind of absurd retcon? If he did, why was it like he never worked with Batman before? Is this due to one of those Crisis retcons?
    That is quite simply the difference between golden age and silver age. In the golden age WWII era Alan scott and batman were active together. However with the start of the silver age in the 60's the timeline has been adjusted sooo many times. there was no golden Age batman now... and Alan Scott originally operated in the 'past' from wwII to whenever bruce was a child. as the world turns the gulf gets weirder and weirder. but by the time bruce put on a costume, the JSA crew had long been retired. Nobody was guarding Gotham anymore.

    hence the need for Batman.
    I wouldn't call it Blackmail. I prefer Extortion! The "X" makes it sound Exciting!

    I'm drowning and Monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils! - Dilbert

  9. #84

    Default

    In the last couple issues of GL, they have shown Ganthet and the Guardians as human sized and proportioned back in the day instead of the little runts we know and love. How'd they get that way?

  10. #85
    Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In front of a computer
    Posts
    2,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyflamingo View Post
    In the last couple issues of GL, they have shown Ganthet and the Guardians as human sized and proportioned back in the day instead of the little runts we know and love. How'd they get that way?
    Billions of years of evolution.

    The Guardians have spent the last several billion years focusing entirely on their mental abilities, so their physical bodies have shrunk and atrophied into the midget-sized bodies with giant heads they have today.

    The moral of the story: Use it or lose it.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Billions of years of evolution.

    The Guardians have spent the last several billion years focusing entirely on their mental abilities, so their physical bodies have shrunk and atrophied into the midget-sized bodies with giant heads they have today.

    The moral of the story: Use it or lose it.
    In Brightest Day it shows mystical wrappings used to transform Krona into the size of the other guardians. So pretty sure it's something to do with that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •