Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

what was the deal with the beef between Frank Miller and Jim Lee/ Tim Sale? was it over Deathblow(on Lee's part)? This was back in the 90's, Miller had said something in a Sin City letter column about them aping his style. Any other info?

Thumbs up and knowing is half the battle

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    I believe that's Nightcrawler, as covered here.

-Brian
    whoa! O.O thanks brian! they have that crazy one about Hulk Hogan, I never knew!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamescush View Post
    That would be Mat Broome on X-Men/WildCATS: The Dark Age.

Chuck Dixon also had problems with Broome changing the story of Batman 571. http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...ne&article=105

Or it could of been some other Marvel artist...LOL;)
    angain, whoa! that's what happened to that guy?!?! he was a pretty good artist from what I remember, I wonder why he'd screw himself over changing what the writer wanted in a book???

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Berend View Post
    I was reading back trough the entries and saw the "Superman once fought the KKK" myth. Now I had heard about that myth before, on the BBC show QI. On that show something quite extrordinary was said that I didn't see in the bit about the myth here: Aparently in the months following Supes battle with the klan, there number of new klan recruits dropped to the point that 0 new members where recruited for a few months!

So... was this omited from the article here because you didn't know about it, because it's not true, or was it there but did I miss it?
    That was seriously on QI? Yikes.

I don't know the info for sure, but that sounds quite bogus, if only for the sense of "Who, exactly, is counting those stats?"

What I made sure to not mention on that piece were the tons of unsubstantiated claims made regarding the effect of that episode upon the KKK. The ones I have read just seem to basically be wishful thinking.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Reading the bit about STAR WARS #107 reminded me of an urban legend regarding the title and one of its creators:

Is it true that Lucasfilm (or maybe Marvel) prohibited Walt Simonson from drawing Darth Vader fighting Luke Skywalker? I suspect it's because he was on the book between ESB and ROTJ and that maybe they didn't want a ESB rematch in the comics but just in the 3rd movie of the trilogy...?
    Yeah, sounds right. Although, to be honest, it might very well be worth an installment down the line, just to discuss the strict restrictions they were under on that comic book.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Punch View Post
    what was the deal with the beef between Frank Miller and Jim Lee/ Tim Sale? was it over Deathblow(on Lee's part)? This was back in the 90's, Miller had said something in a Sin City letter column about them aping his style. Any other info?
    Tim Sale talks about that here

Here's a quote:
    TS: Well, it's an old story now and I feel like an old crone for telling it again, but the short version is back in the early '90s, Jim Lee and Brandon Choi were blown away by the first story-arc of Miller's "Sin City" and created an homage to that - at least visually - called "Deathblow." When Jim got too busy to work on the series, they hired me to continue, in the "Sin City" style. I did, had fun, but it seems Miller was upset that I (among a few other artists at the time) was emulating his "Sin City" style and called us out in a letters page. I had been given an assignment and had been assured it was all in good fun, as Jim and Frank were pals, and so I was surprised and hurt that the largest individual creative voice in comics was upset with me and in a very public forum. I just wish he had picked up the phone, that's all. No one's work is wholly original and I could list many direct influences I see on the "Sin City" style, all of those artists might have a beef with Miller, but that's not really the point. The handling of the misunderstanding is the point, that and the insulting implication that all I am is a Miller imitator, but there you go. Miller is nothing if not passionate, for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew E View Post
    The art for Revolver seems to have been by Klaus Voorman, who was a longtime friend of the Beatles.
    Hmm... I'll have to try and find that quote....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cronin View Post
    That was seriously on QI? Yikes.

I don't know the info for sure, but that sounds quite bogus, if only for the sense of "Who, exactly, is counting those stats?"

What I made sure to not mention on that piece were the tons of unsubstantiated claims made regarding the effect of that episode upon the KKK. The ones I have read just seem to basically be wishful thinking.

-Brian
    Ah, okay. I wouldn't knoe who's counting either. If someone would just tell me I'd be sceptical as well, but, I dunno... that guy from QI just seems like someone to believe I guess :D

I don't really blame them, to be honest (although, okay, I am a BIT surprised to see QI say stuff like that), because it is pretty darn common for these things to be repeated (and accepted) as fact. Heck, that's one of the biggest points OF the Urban Legends! :) To debunk stories that have just been accepted as truth because they've been told so many times.

-Brian

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

I don't know if you've done this yet but there is one thing you might want to investigate.

Marvel Comics originally wanted Gravity to become Captain Marvel.

The story I heard was that Dwayne McDuffie was instructed to kill Gravity in Beyond, with the idea that Gravity would return to life under the moniker of Captain Marvel. Obviously this was changed once Marvel decided to have the original Captain Marvel travel through time.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Hmm... I'll have to try and find that quote....
    I've looked and I can't find it now. It wasn't in the Batman: Black and White book and I can't think of anywhere else I could have read it - unless they put it in Batman/Spawn: War Devil which I've long since sold (on account of it being crap).

I did read it somewhere though. That's the only reason I ever looked to see who did the cover of Revolver and found it to be a different Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Tim Sale talks about that here

Here's a quote:
    TS: Well, it's an old story now and I feel like an old crone for telling it again, but the short version is back in the early '90s, Jim Lee and Brandon Choi were blown away by the first story-arc of Miller's "Sin City" and created an homage to that - at least visually - called "Deathblow."
    deathblow was an homage to Frank Miller's Sin City? O.o

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post
    That's educational, I thought Deathblow was a shameless Punisher rip-off... or a type of gum.

Quote Originally Posted by mgs View Post
    That's educational, I thought Deathblow was a shameless Punisher rip-off... or a type of gum.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...ne&article=105

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    So, is it TRUE that Jim Shooter is actually a lizard creature from beyond the stars?
    Shhh.. yes.