Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Radical
    I dunno if this counts, or if it's already been done on CBULR, but:

The idea that the Human Torch was absent from both the Fantastic Four cartoon (the one with H.E.R.B.I.E.) and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends because the studio bigwigs were afraid that kids would set themselves on fire...

(deep breath)

...is a myth. The real reason is that someone else already had the rights to the Human Torch for some reason.
    OK, that makes alot more sense now.

CHARCOAL update. You mention CHARCOAL, from Thunderbolts fame, was killed off due to rights issues. Did those get squared away? Cause the new Heroclix set "MARVEL: SINISTER" has him in it

All right. I have seen this one come up over and over again, and as of yet NO ONE has ever been able to produce a single shred of proof for it no matter how many times I have asked.

Apparently some one somewhere decided that Marvel's Secret Wars copied DC's Crisis on the Infinite Earths. Which makes no sense considering that Secrete Wars came out a year in advance, and the changes Secret Wars brought about also came out a year in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    All right. I have seen this one come up over and over again, and as of yet NO ONE has ever been able to produce a single shred of proof for it no matter how many times I have asked.

Apparently some one somewhere decided that Marvel's Secret Wars copied DC's Crisis on the Infinite Earths. Which makes no sense considering that Secrete Wars came out a year in advance, and the changes Secret Wars brought about also came out a year in advance.
    From what I remember of interviews I've seen with Marv Wolfman, Crisis was in development for about 4 or 5 years before it came out. I don't think Secret Wars was so much a copy of any specific story elements from Crisis, but a realization that DC was working on a big maxiseries featuring all of its characters, so Marvel- realizing that this thing was going to be big- made a decision to put theirs out first.
    ____
    Dan

Default Another Crisis One!

Hey Brian, I mentioned this in one of the previous Urban Legends responses, but I can understand that you may have missed it there, so...

George Perez was asked in an old interview about a rumor that Marv Wolfman had slipped in a panel in COIE that showed the Marvel Universe being destroyed. Perez laughed and said he didn't know anything, you'd have to ask Marv. I would dismiss this entirely except that the interviewer, David Anthony Kraft, was an industry professional and would have the sources to make such a rumor not unfounded.

So, my question(s): is this true (duh)? If so, what panel? And if not, where and why did such a rumor start?

I thank you in advance; you could wipe out something that has haugnted me for years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U!
    How about the various stories about Steve Ditko's departure from Amazing Spider-Man?

The most common version is that Steve and Stan disagreed about Green Goblin's true identity, with Ditko wanting Gobby to be a total unknown (an idea they'd already done once with the Crime-Master) and Stan arguing (rightfully, I believe) that it would be cheating the readers. Another variant had Ditko wanting Jonah Jameson to be the Goblin and Stan being loathe to lose one of his favorite characters to write. Yet another claimed that SD wanted GG to be the burglar who murdered Uncle Ben.

Finally, a frequent letterhack I met back in college claimed that Ditko wanted Betty Brant to die in a car crash as a way of showing that life is arbitrary and indifferent to our conception of good and evil. Stan balked at this, claiming it was unjustified dramatically.

I suspect the truth is that Ditko, like Jack Kirby, felt that The Man was claiming credit for (and making money) off his storytelling skills and left for greener pastures. Still, it might be fun to see how many theories have been advanced about this minor mystery.

Cei-U!
    Thinks the Goblin shoulda been Aunt May!
    I think you pinpoint it yourself, i too think he felt he didn't have full controll and was not getting the credit he wanted.
    But we will probably never know this for sure as he wont tell us and will take that story to his grave.

But i can easly belive that Ditko wanted a unknown to be GG as he was much for that crime strikes in unpredicted ways.

Really both Ditko om Spider-man and Kirby on FF was doing most of the work themselves, but it was always Stan Lee that was written on everything.

And one more, Ditko did the cover for Amazing Fantasy 15 but Lee turned it down (but i think it's better than the one they used), and got Kirby to do the pencil for the cover AND Ditko have to ink it, imagine that, starting out bad:)

I'm not kicking on Stan Lee, he did a lot of things at the time, without him Marvel wouldn't be what it is.
    Last edited by Agentum; 07-21-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Lenient Tyrant/Moderator Brian Cronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpop
    Hey Brian, I mentioned this in one of the previous Urban Legends responses, but I can understand that you may have missed it there, so...

George Perez was asked in an old interview about a rumor that Marv Wolfman had slipped in a panel in COIE that showed the Marvel Universe being destroyed. Perez laughed and said he didn't know anything, you'd have to ask Marv. I would dismiss this entirely except that the interviewer, David Anthony Kraft, was an industry professional and would have the sources to make such a rumor not unfounded.

So, my question(s): is this true (duh)? If so, what panel? And if not, where and why did such a rumor start?

I thank you in advance; you could wipe out something that has haugnted me for years!!
    Marv said no.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Veteran Member

I distinctly recall that there was a line in the Crisis series in which it was said that over a hundred superheroes in an alternate reality had been killed during some interdimensional upheaval. That was in a single throwaway panel. It didn't necessarily refer to Marvel in any event (although I certainly thought it had) and it would be a very easy thing for someone to forget about after twenty years.

True.

Sure LOOKS like Peter Parker.

-Brian
    Comics Should Be Good, which features Comic Book Legends Revealed!... check them out!

Also, be sure to check out my web site, Urban Legends Revealed!, for urban legends about Sports, TV, Movies, Music and more!

And while we're at it, please buy my new book, Why Does Batman Carry Shark Repellent? And while you're at that, please buy my first book, Was Superman a Spy? and Other Comic Book Legends Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpop

If it makes you feel better, Alexander Luther destroyed the Marvel Universe in Infinite Crisis....
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Quote Originally Posted by LtMarvel
    If it makes you feel better, Alexander Luther destroyed the Marvel Universe in Infinite Crisis....
    That does not make me feel better. Unless he got Bendis and Quesada!:D

Default Mile High?

The biggest Urban Legend I heard was what the MILE HIGH COLLECTION had in it, and how he came about it, and furthermore... what he paid on it.

I've heard TONS of stories on this... but most I can assume is that it was mostly western and space comics from the 50's...

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

I have a few I recall hearing at one point or another. Is it true that---

1) DC Comics temporarily killed off Alfred in an effort to defuse rumors regarding Bruce and Dick's sexuality?

2) Chris Claremont wanted Kitty Pryde to become a regular on the Fantastic Four?

3) Chris Claremont had also planned to reveal that Logan harbored potentially romantic feelings for Kitty Pryde but the story was nixed by editors?
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

Not an urban legend so much as a not-very-well-known story (at least, I don't think it's an urban legend), but maybe you could talk about how Stetson Kennedy and the Superman... I forget if it was the radio show or the TV show... tore a few holes in the real-life Ku Klux Klan.
    matthewe.com: updates on the superhero novel-in-progress Ded & Sac, the Superhero of the Day, and more.

Oh, I actually got confirmation on a suggestion here.

I will be running it fairly soon (fairly could mean from a couple of weeks to next year ;)).

-Brian