Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What does "The Power Cosmic" mean to you?

I was sitting down today having an intruiging discussion with a few of my close friends on the topic of perception and reality. You can take a topic you might believe most people to have a single view of only to discover that there are more different ways to look at it than you would have previously thought possible.

Point in hand, let's take a look at the often nebulous concept of the "Power Cosmic." What does that phrase mean to you? What do you think it should mean? Let's hear your thoughts on it, no idea is wrong. Perhaps silly and antiquidated in some cases...but never wrong. So the kangaroo court is open on the power cosmic, let the precedings begin!

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Plot device powers.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

The Power Cosmic is a power source wielded by varrious beings by varrious degrees. It does get plot devicey unfortunatly, because it's limits are vauge and undefined.

Put in a straight forward way the PC as I see it, is the ability to manipulate and control the ambiant energies of the fabric of the universe to perform various effects. From energy blasts to being able to time travel and so on. Its a power like sorcery in a way but that draws energy from alien realities or alien beings while the PC isf rom the normal universe. Few beings can use it, it seems to be only granted by Galactus who is the most powerful use of the PC.

It can be seen as a plot device power, but sense it is drawing upon such vast amounts of power a person using it is limited by skill, there ability to channel enough energy for an effect and their willingness to do something with the power. ITs more or less limited by the imagination itself, but its not like Surfer can do anything but he can do alot.

i think the marvel galaxy has alot of mysteries.....The Power Cosmic, The Phoenix Force, The Uni-Force, etc...

As I see it, the Power Cosmic is essentially a way to tap into the energies of the very universe itself. (possibly it ties back to the fact that Galactus, or rather, Galen, was around when it was created) That can be used for basically anything, limited only by the proficiency of the user.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc
    Plot device powers.
    What Kevin said.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc
    Plot device powers.
    That is exactly how the superhero rpg Champions treated it. They called it the Cosmic Power Pool, and whatever character points you allocated to that determined the general level of power that you could freely allocate to all kinds of arbitrary uses.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

I believe bd2999 has it right with the explanation of what the Power Cosmic can do, "the ability to manipulate and control the ambient energies of the fabric of the universe to perform various effects. From energy blasts to being able to time travel and so on."

I also believe that it is limited to beings that are connected to the origin of the universe itself, and that their existence with the Power Cosmic fits in a larger part of the order of things. They can spread it around to others if they wanted, but I believe all of it can be accounted for and measured, and it seems to be spread out sparingly, like cutting off pieces of a pie. Mmm, cosmic pie. *drools

Lastly, I think that having the Power Cosmic gives the being intuitiveness of the cosmic state of things, or cosmic events. Which might be things that upset the balance of the universe or threaten the universes very existence, since in a way, it's a part of them. They also appear to have knowledge of all other cosmic beings, and usually refer each other as siblings, family, old freinds, or the yin to their yang. (I'd hate to be Galactus's yang. hehe)

That's everything that I've gathered so far that I can think of.
    Last edited by Kinbote; 03-21-2006 at 06:34 PM.

It would be interesting to list the different power sources heroes and villains tap into. Lets see alist of the sources and their most closly associated users.

Marvel
    The Power Cosmic: Silver Surfer, Cap Marvel
    The Phoenix Force: The differant Phoenix beings
    The Dark Force: Cloak, Darkstar and others
    The Odin Power: Thor at times calls on this but the Odin Power is about more than just Asgard
    The Uni Power: Captain Universe

DC
    The Source: Mother Box, Scott Free
    The Speed Force: The Flashes
    The Astro Force: Orion
    The Green Flame: Golden Age GL and Jade
    The Green: Swamp Thing, Woodrue, Ivy
    The OA Battery: The GL Corps

What else is there? I know I am missing some.

The "Power Cosmic" wielded by the heralds of Galactus, in my opinion, allows the user to absorb all enviromental cosmic energy - and any form of energy/radiation within the EM-spectrum - making him able to, not only shoot blasts of raw concentrated cosmic energy, but also tap into and manipulate the four fundamental forces (gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear interaction and strong nuclear interaction).

A hell of a lot better than The Power Global.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-Man
    Or the Power Neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-Man
    Or The Power Cronic

But what about the Power Mobile Home??!!??!!??