Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Team Leader of The JLA

I'm not that familiar with the nuts and bolts of the JLA, but I was wondering if someone could tell me who is the 'boss' or who has the final say when it comes to decisions? Does everyone have get a vote, or is it Superman?
    "People who believe they are successful, carry themselves well."-Peggy Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by Mia
    Does everyone have get a vote, or is it Superman?
    From what I've seen everyone gets to vote. Usually it is easy matters where most of the JLA agree on so it is majority rule.

It's Batman. When Batman says it's final, it's final.

Superman is the chairman...Batman seems to take over the leadership when the JLA are in the field and need a mastermind to arrange battle station. Plus he is the bankroll. John is the spine...been in every incarnation of the JLA and according to some books Wonder Woman seems to be the soul of the team.

When did Superman became Chairman? I read the JLA showcase and the flash was the chairman. When did he stepped down?

Manufactured in Tawain handOFfate's Avatar

Unlike the JSA, I don't think the role of chairman in JLA means much. I don't even remember the last time I saw a definite chairman. The JLA vote on their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by handOFfate
    The JLA vote on their decisions.
    And then Batman has the final say.

It's a sort of rotating chairmanship. Superman is considered the chairman by the public at large-he's the public face. But, because it's usually an odd-numbered membership, they vote on matters.

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

I think Supes was the semi-official chairman during the Morrison-Waid period. IIRC he had officially 'disbanded' the League briefly in one issue--mainly to outwit the android Amazo. The Atom's idea: if Amazo was programmed to automatically duplicate the powers of all members of the League, then the fastest way to defeat him was to remove the League, thereby removing his powers. Don't laugh, it worked!
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

Martian Manhunter is important to, communications and so.

The speaksman seems to be Superman often.

I think it's like the Camelot of old from Arthurian legend, they all sit at a round table, each with their own symbol on the back, so they all have equal power. Yes, some of them are better at specific bits than others, and some of the younger members will defer to the more senior or go with the flow, but I think the idea was there is no official head of the table.
    If you look after the fans, they will look after you.

But King Arthur was the king.

Heavy Metal War Machine PatrickG's Avatar

The JLA has no "leader". It does have a chairman who presides over the meetings but I think anyone else who's served that role knows that in groups, presidents often have less power than the average member to influence policy except on a few key points.

Basically, Superman was the spokesman for the Waid/Morrison era. Batman, J'Onn, Aquaman and Wonder Woman seemed to have major leadership clout as well.

Superman was like the representation of the team.........While Aquaman and Wonder Woman were advisors. But I can see MM being the leader.

But overall Batman did what he wanted to and the team follwed
    :o
    Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.

-Sydney J. Harris :o

Unlike the Avengers, who have a definite "General" figure in the person of Captain America, the Justice Leaguers have no definite "chairperson." The position rotates. In fact, there have been occasions where "Snapper" Carr, the League mascot, has been "chairman." All of them have the potential to be leader, with the exception of Green Arrow, who is very well liked but is usually seen as a crank.

The purpose of the Chairman, the story implies, is to take care of things like making sure everybody takes their turn sweeping out the teleporters and who brings which covered dish to the League Potluck.

Occasionally, when there is no evil menace, the League dips into their Mailbag to find unusual cases, though they haven't done this very recently.

One great JLA chairperson was Zatanna, at least under Gerry Conway. She bossed SUPERMAN around. What a tough cookie! It would be very interesting to see Zatanna as leader. Perhaps someone very un-Captain America-ish would be interesting: what about Elongated Man?
    "Golf is a mental disorder."
    - Edgar Rice Burroughs, LOST ON VENUS (1932)

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."
    - Peter David

julianperezconquerstheuniverse.blogspot.com