Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calvin & Hobbes

Default Calvin & Hobbes

I just discovered this comic strip recently. One of my favorite writer/artists, Erik Larsen, was talking about this one time and I decided to check it out a few days ago. I went to the Uccomics site and read a few of them. Just a hilarous comic!

I went to my local library yesterday and picked up a couple of the books too. One is a whole bunch of black & white strips and the other is the 'Lazy Sunday Morning' strips. I like both of them alot, though the 'Lazy Sunday' book has a lot of really cool stuff in it (finished the b&w book, but I haven't finished the lazy sunday one yet. I'm taking my time. though I prob will re-read the b&w again). I especially like all the Spaceman Spiff and Dino stuff in the Lazy sunday book. :)

I'm really liking this comic alot. I'll prob have to pick up a book of these comics sometime. Doubt it will be the complete book, since thats so high, but I'll try to find one of the books when I can.

Any other Calvin & Hobbes fans here? If so, what are your favorite strips of Calvin and Hobbes?

I gotta say, so far I like the Spaceman Spiff ones the most. Though I do like the ones were Hobbes attacks Calvin, plus there's some really funny ones with his parents!

Man..what a creative comic strip. Glad I started readng it!

DF2506
    " Also likes Dilbert alot, but you know, Calvin & Hobbes is definitly better. They don't make 'em like this anymore! "
    " Bowties are cool."---The Doctor (Doctor Who)

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

I see by your profile that you're old enough to have read this strip when it was still running. Were you not aware of it at that time?

Anyway... I love Calvin & Hobbes. The cardboard box storylines were my favorites when I was growing up.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

I see by your profile that you're old enough to have read this strip when it was still running. Were you not aware of it at that time?<

Definitly wasn't aware of it then. Of course, when I was younger, I really didn't read newspaper comic strips that much (I think I read some Peanuts once and awhile though). I pretty much just read the regular ol' comic books...

I do think I may have tried to read one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the library before (possibly last year or so), but I'm not sure..

I know that I haven't been interested in it till now. I'm really enjoying it.

<Anyway... I love Calvin & Hobbes. The cardboard box storylines were my favorites when I was growing up.<

The cardboard box storyline is mentioned at the Ucomics site. Haven't read any of them yet though...

DF2506
    " Really fun comic. Looking forward to reading more."
    Last edited by DF2506; 02-26-2006 at 01:24 PM.

In the military paper "Stars and Stripes" they still run C&H. Best thing about being over there in Kuwait

I usually hate when people say "I like them all equally" in threads like this, but I can't help it. I'm not much for strips, but Calvin & Hobbes is by far my favorite strip and I honestly couldn't pick any of the strips over the others, other than maybe not liking Spaceman Spiff as much as the other stuff. And I know most people will disagree with that.

However, I do recall one panel where Hobbes is trying to impress Susie and he's got on sunglasses and "jams" and tells Calvin that "chicks dig guys in jams". That always struck me as the funniest moment in the series, for some reason.

You've got a ton of good reading ahead of you. I don't think I've ever read a bad C&H.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Brilliant strip - I bought my wife the complete Calvin & Hobbes for her birthday this year, because as much as I loved it, so loves it more!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh S
    I usually hate when people say "I like them all equally" in threads like this, but I can't help it. I'm not much for strips, but Calvin & Hobbes is by far my favorite strip and I honestly couldn't pick any of the strips over the others, other than maybe not liking Spaceman Spiff as much as the other stuff. And I know most people will disagree with that.

However, I do recall one panel where Hobbes is trying to impress Susie and he's got on sunglasses and "jams" and tells Calvin that "chicks dig guys in jams". That always struck me as the funniest moment in the series, for some reason.
    I like the strip where Calvin wants to be 'cool', so he leans against a tree, wearing sunglasses. Hobbes decides to be cool too, so he gets a sombrero! Arguement ensues about the 'coolness' of sombreros. :D

hahaha

Sombreros are definately cool.
    Big belly, still take my shirt off like Nelly.

other than maybe not liking Spaceman Spiff as much as the other stuff. And I know most people will disagree with that.>

Spaceman Spiff is definitly one of my favorites so far (if not my favorite). Its got that whole early 50s sci-fi vibe to it (with a bit of kirbyness too I think). I especially liked the big full page Spiff adventure at the beginning of 'Lazy Sunday.' Man that was cool! Could have easily been a regular comic imo.

Of course, I really enjoy the Calvin & Hobbes stuff too and the stuff with just Calvin. Even the strips that don't make me laugh, at least get a smile out of me when I'm reading them.

I got a free trial with ucomics, so I'm hoping to read some more of Calvin & Hobbes there! Also have to finish 'Lazy Sunday'.

I still want to get one of the books one of these days!

DF2506
    " Comic Strips I like: Calvin & Hobbes, Dilbert, Farside, and Peanuts."

Yeah, it's definately good even if it's my least favorite of the strips. And just to be clear, even if the strip was entirely Spaceman Spiff it'd still be in my top 2 or 3.

Love the series. Can read it over and over and over again. I want the complete collection but it was a bit expensive for my tastes. Keep your eyes open in local bookstores because i've seen the collections selling for pretty cheap (especially in Waldenbooks).

I'd love that new fancy collection but like has been said it's a little rich for my blood and the books are way too bulky for me (I do tons of reading in the tub).

Calvin and Hobbes was one of the best comic strips of all time, mixing excellent artwork with great humour. While I do miss the strip, I'm glad that Bill Watterson ended the series on a high note rather than continue it and have the quality decline. Watterson did something else unusual for comic strip creators: he refused to license Calvin and Hobbes merchandise.

I agree that I'm glad he didn't let it fizzle on him/us. As for his refusal to license for merch, I'm not so keen. I'd really like to have a some C&H figures.