Page 1 of 119 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default The Guns n Roses thread !

....and it didn't suck.

Honest; you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Rover's Morning Glory played what I think was the complete tune "I.R.S." and a clip of a song called "Better," and they were pretty good. Axl's voice was drowned out in "I.R.S.," and neither song began well (they both had soft intros), but once things got rolling, they rocked. "Better" has a kicking guitar solo, too.

If these songs are really G'n'R (and it did sound like Axl singing), then, shock of shocks, there is hope the new album might actually see the light of day and not suck.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Made for you and me. DrewTheXenocide's Avatar

Default Couple years late, but who cares? Use Your Illusion 1&2!

After listening and savoring Appetite for Destruction for as much as I could, I finally got Use Your Illusion 1&2. I have to say, so far, that I like 1 better. It's more angry and furious, and I just like the songs on it better overall. Not that 2's a slouch either, but do we really need to versions of Don't Cry?

What puzzled me is, from the cover art, I figured that 1 would be rash and fast, in the vein of Appetite, whereas, 2 would be somber, and heavy. It's sort of like that, but it's like 60-40 on each.

The thing I absolutely LOVE , though, is the piano. It's just so awesome, and adds so much "kick ass" to the songs. But with that, I'm not really a fan of how the acoustic guitars are used. After a while acoustics, followed up by "surprise" electric just got boring after a while. And there's that one song, that I can't remember the name of, that's all acoustic. Je n'aime pas. At all.

Huh. I had almost the opposite reaction (mind you, I only bought the albums in 1995-6, after having been a slavering GnR fanatic because of APPETITE back in 89. That's how great my hatred was for "Live and Let Die" and "November Rain").

I has some great songs, no doubt about it, like "Dust N' Bones," "Perfect Crime," "You Ain't the First," and "Bad Obsession." My personal favorite might be "Coma," though. But it has some real stinkers. And not many of those songs are as good as "Civil War," "14 Years," "Shotgun Blues," "Breakdown," "Pretty Tied Up," "Locomotive," or "Estranged."

That's not to say that II doesn't have its share of crap: "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" is laughably bad, as is the Duff McKagan song, and "Get in the Ring." A special place in hell is of course reserved for "My World." Whatever, Axl.

I still maintain the Gunners would have had a great records on their hands if they'd just winnowed the wheat from the chaff and released one CD. How awesome would that have been? Bruce Springsteen could have benefited from that strategy too, I think: taking the good stuff from HUMAN TOUCH (admittedly not much), and beefing up most of LUCKY TOWN. That would have been a monster. But I guess that's what CD burners are for.

rob
    "T is for Tank,
    and T is for Terror,
    and K is the K
    for Killing in Error."
    --Leona Ozaki, _Dominion_, Masamune Shirow

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Those two albums have one album worth of good songs. As others have said, some of the songs were really really good and some were really really bad.

"Try and work an allusion into your act. Like Poe or something. Except, don't do Poe, 'cause I'm doing Poe."

"What about Chaucer?"

"Just not Poe, alright?"!

I didn't mind that song Madagascar that somehow found its way onto the radio a couple of years ago. I think it was live in Brazil or something like that.

Made for you and me. DrewTheXenocide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Apodaca
    "Try and work an allusion into your act. Like Poe or something. Except, don't do Poe, 'cause I'm doing Poe."

"What about Chaucer?"

"Just not Poe, alright?"!
    Hah! I was gonna put in the "I was gonna name it 'Use Your Illusion' but that name's already taken by some band" quote, but I figured that not many people would get it.

Cool, maybe in a decade we'll get another song.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonC
    ....and it didn't suck.

Honest; you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Rover's Morning Glory played what I think was the complete tune "I.R.S." and a clip of a song called "Better," and they were pretty good. Axl's voice was drowned out in "I.R.S.," and neither song began well (they both had soft intros), but once things got rolling, they rocked. "Better" has a kicking guitar solo, too.

If these songs are really G'n'R (and it did sound like Axl singing), then, shock of shocks, there is hope the new album might actually see the light of day and not suck.

I've heard " Better " .....I believe. Heres something interesting. Slash was asked in Jan. about his lawsuit him and Axl has regarding the Greatest Hits collection Geffan released. In it Slash confirms that Chinese Democracy could possibly be arriving in March and he's intriqued by it.

In the same column a fan site has talked about the album confirming that the featured players on the album is like a " Who's Who " of rock. That it will be 18 tracks. Stinson himself has claimed that its gonna be wide ranging....slow,fast,mega songs ect ect...

DonC....why not even PM with this ? You know I worship at Guns n Roses alter. Whyyyy gooodddd whyyyy ??? ;)
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Sometimes, I think the Beatles will record a new album before Guns and Roses does...which is saying something considering that half of the Beatles are dead.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien
    Sometimes, I think the Beatles will record a new album before Guns and Roses does...which is saying something considering that half of the Beatles are dead.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Guns n Roses will NEVER record a new album.
    We are waiting for the new Axl project, without izzy, without slash, without duff.
    Those of us who are excited, are excited because the guy could sing.

DonC what you heard was Guns n Roses. It appears I.R.S and Better are 2 tracks that were leaked online. Remains to be seen what else happens. The fansite " My G'n'R " discusses the 2 tracks.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1
    DonC....why not even PM with this ? You know I worship at Guns n Roses alter. Whyyyy gooodddd whyyyy ??? ;)

I almost put "For Supe" in the title. I knew you'd like this.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Default The Guns n Roses thread !

With rumors Chinese Democracy is getting close to a release , this thread is for G'n'R . 10 years in the making...can Guns n Roses still bring the goods ?

Here we discuss anything regarding G'n'R .

Vagabonds and children Adam Crocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Those of us who are excited, are excited because the guy could sing.
    Note the past tense being in the operative word here...