Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Default How come telekinetics never use effective battle strategies

Or at least rarely do they. TK's like Jean or Rachel Grey should be amongst the most unstoppable charcters there are if they would just employ a few very simple tactics which you never or virtually never see them use.

1. They could use their power to stop an enemies heart briefly. Jean did this one time way back in X-Factor when she stopped Rictor's heart for a second to make him pass out. But never since to my knowledge. Its hard to use the old excuse of it might harm the person given that beating the crap out of them (the standard supehero tactic) is clearly harmful to the person.

2. Or another tactic that would work against any enemy that doesn't have a long distance attack. Lift them off the ground. Get em even two inches off the ground and they are done fighting til you drop them. Unless they still have a way to attack you (gun, energy blast, mind power, etc) they are at the TK's mercy. The TK can now spin them like a top to make them super dizzy when they put them down, drop them off a building, or just hold them there while the others on the TK's team pound on the guy with their own long distance attacks. Even with the enemies that have distance attacks if you catch em by surprise you could spin them so fast they would become disoriented and unable to fight back.

3. Use the TK to hold their eyes shut. Jean did this one time I recall (again in X-factor) to the Hulk. It worked well enough although she had a hard time holding it due to superstrength in his eyelids.

4. Use TK to stop the flow of blood in the carotid arteries for a second which would cause the person to pass out. Might not work against invulnerable characters but it would against the rest. And again less harmful than beating the snot out of someone. I think this was essentially what a low grade TK in Rising Stars did only she kept the pressure on and would kill people this way.

It took me a while to get sleep and when I'm in that state of not quite falling asleep I tend to think up lots of crazy things if you can't tell.

Reason = Lack of imagination by writers.

That aside. TK is the most versitile power there is, so many thinga can be done with it. But people only ever see the normal stuff. You know, make the TKer fly or they move objects or dare I say, form shields.

To use TK properly involes a lot more. TK can increase a persons strength (this feature is rarely used (See Psylocke in the recent Savage Land arc). It can be used to lift an enemy and throw them about. This is more effective then throwing things at them. It can also be used in the reasons you listed above. But it's down to what thewriter has a person do.

Like all powers, only imagination hold someone back (especially in energy powers) and it is thelack of imagination on the writers parts that shows this.

Also, TK is more effective when used by a villian.
    Last edited by The Fury; 02-10-2006 at 02:24 PM.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

I believe Cable once used a little bit of force to put pressure on a person's eardrum and made him pass out in pain. Anybody who ever had an ear-infection can sympathise with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury
    Reason = Lack of imagination by writers.

That aside. TK is the most versitile power there is, so many thinga can be done with it. But people only ever see the normal stuff. You know, make the TKer fly or they move objects or dare I say, form shields.

To use TK properly involes a lot more. TK can increase a persons strength (this feature is rarely used (See Psylocke in the recent Savage Land arc). It can be used to lift an enemy and throw them about. This is more effective then throwing things at them. It can also be used in the reasons you listed above. But it's down to what thewriter has a person do.

Like all powers, only imagination hold someone back (especially in energy powers) and it is thelack of imagination on the writers parts that shows this.

Also, TK is more effective when used by a villian.
    My perspective is that when we use TK in ways other than how its commonly used, I think they become too powerful and thus the story/fight becomes too easy.
    wood / bkv / coipel / pichelli / staples / del mundo
    flagship x-men // avengers undercover // saga // private eye

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm
    Or at least rarely do they.
    For the same reason that most characters don't use effective battle strategies: it really doesn't make for as good a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D
    I believe Cable once used a little bit of force to put pressure on a person's eardrum and made him pass out in pain. Anybody who ever had an ear-infection can sympathise with that.
    Yeah so far it seems that Cable has been the one with the most efficient use of TK which is most likely due to the fact that he's a soldier and is known to be utilitarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded
    My perspective is that when we use TK in ways other than how its commonly used, I think they become too powerful and thus the story/fight becomes too easy.
    That can be true but it makes the characters steriotypical. Look at Hellion. He's a TK. Nothing about his powers makes him stand out. He's just another TK in a sea of TKers.

Now if he were to use that in an original way. Lets say the eyelid thing or anything more original (can't thing of any, he's good so no killing), that would make him more then just another TKer.

I have no idea what I am talking about.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

Deadpool & Havok forever Neolucifer's Avatar

Agreed , unless used by a villain , something like stopping the heart and various other uses would be way too powerful , compared to the current and usual stuff .
    Of course some great writers might work well with such constraints .. but unless you constantly plan battle of The authority's magnitude it would be hard .
    Originally posted by Beast :
    Well, Emma has done the 'Phoenix' thing for Scott before. Way back in New X-Men.

Originally posted by UTVol8102 :Yea and look what it got her...Headmistress

Originally posted by TheWolfOfAsgard :Guess she was a better Phoenix than Jean

Rachel Summers used her telekinesis to change the X-Men's costumes into normal street clothes in Uncanny X-Men #189 after Rachel had freed herself & Amara from Selene's psychic thrall.

Jean Grey used her telekinesis very creatively in New X-Men #120 when she made the U-Men vomit on themselves, then defecate on themselves, then stripped them naked and destroyed their weapons and their van.

Before that she had stopped one of the U-Men's electric rays and had stopped the razors that were shot at her and formed them into a snowflake design.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm
    Or at least rarely do they. TK's like Jean or Rachel Grey should be amongst the most unstoppable charcters there are if they would just employ a few very simple tactics which you never or virtually never see them use.

1. They could use their power to stop an enemies heart briefly. Jean did this one time way back in X-Factor when she stopped Rictor's heart for a second to make him pass out. But never since to my knowledge. Its hard to use the old excuse of it might harm the person given that beating the crap out of them (the standard supehero tactic) is clearly harmful to the person.

2. Or another tactic that would work against any enemy that doesn't have a long distance attack. Lift them off the ground. Get em even two inches off the ground and they are done fighting til you drop them. Unless they still have a way to attack you (gun, energy blast, mind power, etc) they are at the TK's mercy. The TK can now spin them like a top to make them super dizzy when they put them down, drop them off a building, or just hold them there while the others on the TK's team pound on the guy with their own long distance attacks. Even with the enemies that have distance attacks if you catch em by surprise you could spin them so fast they would become disoriented and unable to fight back.

3. Use the TK to hold their eyes shut. Jean did this one time I recall (again in X-factor) to the Hulk. It worked well enough although she had a hard time holding it due to superstrength in his eyelids.

4. Use TK to stop the flow of blood in the carotid arteries for a second which would cause the person to pass out. Might not work against invulnerable characters but it would against the rest. And again less harmful than beating the snot out of someone. I think this was essentially what a low grade TK in Rising Stars did only she kept the pressure on and would kill people this way.

It took me a while to get sleep and when I'm in that state of not quite falling asleep I tend to think up lots of crazy things if you can't tell.
    The reason why writers don't do this so often is the same reason why Flash doesn't beat any of his villains in one panel, on the rumbles board why call this PIS=Plot Induced Stuipty. I mean the X-men villains wouldn't be that great if Jean, Rachel, or Cable were to beat them all themselves in a few panels because of their TK or telepathy. The only villains who would be able to stand up to these guys would be villains like Sinister, Magneto, and Apocalypse but you can't use these guys for every story(though it wouldn't kill the writers to remember that Sinister is still alive and can be used). Not to mention you would have to make the X-villains power bricks like the Silver Surfer or just a little less to put up a fight.

Another reason why is because not every writer is like Grant Morrison. Writers like him who can write major super power people like then were normal power with ease. They don't have imaginations like Morrison and others do so it makes it very hard for them to do this type of stuff you posted.

is it cold in here?

There's also the matter of what is a VERY difficult process- to grab something with your mind. If it is moving, it must be that much more difficult. The smaller the object. the less visible, the harder it must be for the teke.

To stop a person's heart would mean you have to "feel" inside (and not all telekinetics have that sort of sensitivity) to where the heart is, and then still it. To affect the inner ear is a tremendous feat.

As for holding someone in the air, I imagine it is the same as lifting someone bodily- if they are thrashing about, it must become more difficult.

I was just thinking about the closing eyes thing the other day, I was wondering if it's ever been done.

TK's really are to perfect if they fight efficiently I guess.

Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar

Doesn't a Telekinetic just need to be in line-of-sight and able to visualize the effect if so? I could see a character using TK for the following attacks:

--Blind an opponent by slamming shut eyelids OR pinching the optic nerve OR throwing sand grains into his/her eyes.

--Inducing strokes

--Yanking on the internal organs to cause freakishly agonizing pain.

--Strangling an enemy by pulling up internal fluids (i.e. saliva or vomit) into his throat and holding it there.

--Instant muscle cramps and spasms

--Mess with blood flow to make a person pass out.

--Manipulate nerve endings to tickle or cause intense pain.

Kick me if you're Irish! Unkillable Cat's Avatar

Cable killed Domino using his TK once...somewhere around Cable #80.

He simply prevented a minor part of the heart from operating, which killed her instantly.

Mind you, that was his plan from the start, so he was ready to revive her using CPR.

You'll have to read the comic to know the details.

One way to make TK-characters use their powers in imaginative ways and not make them overpowered is to limit the TK somewhat. Picture a TK-wielder who can do pretty much anything he wants via Telekinesis, but his powers have next to no range. Everything he wants to do, he has to do up close and personal.

To stop a person's heart, he has to actually either grab the person by the chest, or actually touch the heart itself.

He would only be able to lift himself, or use his TK to augment his own strength.

The only thing is, Marvel already has a character that is a very close match to my character idea, but instead of using TK he uses adamantium-laced claws...