PDA

View Full Version : Kickass 8- and 16-bit games to find ROMs for

Michael P
12-15-2005, 05:22 PM
So I was rooting around through some old crap the other day, and I found my old USB controller. I don't have the computer I used it with anymore, but my current laptop has USB ports. So, I figured I'd spend part of my vacation over the holidays playing some old school video games.

So, just basically suggest to me some of your favorite 8-bit and 16-bit games. I can... acquire them on my own, but give me some ideas. And if it turns out I'm being an ass and this thread gets closed, well, I've got a PM box.

SAMAS
12-15-2005, 06:26 PM
All Castlevania and Contra games. Konami actually made a disc with these games(sans Contra Force) for the PC. Pick that one up if you can find it.

Xero Kaiser
12-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Gunstar Heroes
Streets of Rage
Rockman & Forte
Wario's Woods
Ranger-X
Yoshi's Island
Bionic Commando
Seiken Densetsu 3 (there's an english version out)
Megaman games
Shinobi 3
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts (if you feel like going insane)
Kick Master (Castlevania + Martial arts)
Chrono Trigger
General Chaos
Metal Warriors

Sanagi
12-16-2005, 01:10 AM
This is probably not a kosher topic...

But, *whistles innocently,* Blaster Master, Soul Blazer, Ogre Battle, and Lufia 2 are all fantastic games.

vertigo_phreeze
12-16-2005, 01:54 AM
you better get some Vectorman for the Genesis!

Donald M.
12-16-2005, 05:29 AM
If you've never played Super Mario World 2, do so. It's probably the best game ever released for the SNES, and certainly my favorite.

Also, check out Landstalker for the Genesis, my favorite action RPG ever. Beyond Oasis, also for the Genesis, comes a close second.

Gaz
12-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Terranigma and Illusion of Time (not sure if they were released under other names in the US) are awesome action RPGs.

cactusmaac
12-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Gunstar Heroes

thehod
12-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Get yourself over to World of Spectrum (www.worldofspectrum.org) for some of the best 8 bit gaming British style.

The games may not be the greatest to look at, but they have some of the best playablity of any games ever.

Try out:

Head over Heels
Jet Set Willy
Manic Miner
Chaos
Skool Daze
Back to Skool
Starquake
Turbo Esprit (GTA before GTA was GTA)
Saboteur

Oh, and as the authors and owners of each of the games held there have given their permission for use, there are no legal issues.

The Drunkard Kid
12-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Tales of Phantasia and Terranigma for the SNES, in addition to the standard Link and Final Fantasy options.

Phantasy Star II and IV, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Landstalker and Beyond Oasis for Genesis.

Scorpion13
12-16-2005, 09:01 PM
For pro wrestling like no other, find Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium. Best 16-bit wreslting game ever made by mortal hands.

Super Robot Wars 3 has an english patch out now, so you can have Mazinga Z and Amuro Ray beat the hell out of Zakus and Machine Beasts and whatever.

If you want to try some Gameboy games, try out James Bond and Donkey Kong, both for the old B&W GB, and both fantastic.

Sixth_Winged
12-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Golden Axe 3(Gen)
Streets of Rage 3(Gen)
Final Fight 3(Snes)
Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen(Gen)
Chrono Trigger(Snes)
Marvel Superheroes: War of the Gems(Snes)
Sonic and Knuckles:Sonic 3(Gen)

Crystomac
09-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Terranigma that was the game that got me into RPG's years ago. I think i left the old snes and all the games back at my ex gf's house when we broke up :eek: last year. Damn. Hope she hasnt let the cat pee on it:::frown:

jesse_custer
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
8-bit:

Ninja Gaiden - And make sure to watch the cinemas. Be warned, though. The game can be difficult.

Low G Man - The "G" stands for gravity. You play as this dude who can jump really high. Combat works like this: freeze enemies with your gun and then jab the hell out of them with a lance.

16-bit:

Dynamite Headdy - Funny Genesis platformer with innovative platformer mechanics.

Earthbound - Great satire of RPGs.

Also, both Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 3 are good, but Streets of Rage 2 is the best game of the series.

Filthy Mutie
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Always, always, ALWAYS get Ogre Battle for the SNES.

StoneGold
09-14-2009, 02:54 PM
You mean to legally purchase on the used market, right?

GozertheGozarian
09-14-2009, 03:22 PM
River City Ransom.