PDA

View Full Version : "Marvels" anyone else not a fan?

davidboring
11-07-2005, 12:58 AM
i am ashamed of quoting the negative review here!

Jake V
11-07-2005, 01:16 AM
I bought Marvels but I don't like it. The art, the story, the main character is boring and I can't relate to him. The book feels to me like they took the history of Marvel and sucked the life out of it. Normally I hate it when people bash critically-acclaimed classics to get attention, but this is one book I genuinely can't see the appeal of. anyone else?
I liked it alright. I'm not about to throw insane amounts of praise on it like some people do, but I found it to be entertaining and nice to look at.

Nowhere near worth the $50 they're charging for the hardcover though.

davidboring
11-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I'll read it again and give it another chance, I guess.

BlairH
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I read the hardcover (only version I could find), and I must say I was impressed. I could actually relate to the main character. The fact that he was boring in comparison to the "Marvels" was actually part of the impact.

The Shadow
11-07-2005, 09:41 PM
It's one of my favorite stories Marvel has done too.

Being put in a normal persons shoes during the rise of the Marvels until Gwen died was awesome... and Ross's art is breathtaking (though not as good as on Kingdom Come)

Joe Rice
11-08-2005, 04:28 AM
While I think it is one of the few times Ross' art was suitable for a story, and I can see the technical craftsmanship behind the writing, it just doesn't do much for me. A lot of this is because it spawned a lot of comics and trends that I absolutely hate. I can't see Marvels without seeing dour, boring superhero comics with Batman crying.

Gaz
11-08-2005, 04:38 AM
While I think it is one of the few times Ross' art was suitable for a story, and I can see the technical craftsmanship behind the writing, it just doesn't do much for me. A lot of this is because it spawned a lot of comics and trends that I absolutely hate. I can't see Marvels without seeing dour, boring superhero comics with Batman crying.
As opposed to shocking, annoying comics with Batman making people cry?
(Actually, I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, unless it's the more emotional/human/dramatic trend, which I love when done right.)

Joe Rice
11-08-2005, 04:43 AM
As opposed to shocking, annoying comics with Batman making people cry?
(Actually, I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, unless it's the more emotional/human/dramatic trend, which I love when done right.)

No, I mean a confusion of boringness with emotion. Astro City had and has one mood: bittersweet. I'm quite tired of "realistic" looks at superheroes that are just as skewed as superheroes always being happy.

This also started the "Oh, wow, let's talk about how awesome they are," trend, where the entire DCU, for instance, constantly talks about the awesomeness of each other.

Show, don't tell.

Cayman
11-08-2005, 08:42 AM
It was alright. I didn't love it, but it was an entertaining read.

I preferred Kingdom Come.

Cay

Cayman
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
I am really looking forward to Marvels 2 though. I love Jay Anacleto.

Cay

kcekada
11-08-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't know. Maybe its not the second "Coming", but Marvels was ground-breaking in its way.

The artwork really captured the flavor of the 60s -- and made you believe these characters actually walked the earth.

It made great use of the common man to show how these battles and events affected people we rarely see.

Overall, it was just a fun ride...but you'd have appreciate the early Marvel stories and time period to get the most out of it.

thik_3rd
11-08-2005, 11:49 AM
i think it's about as good as comics get.

Babylon23
11-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I think Marvels restored some of the wonder and awe to the MU.After the 80's deconstructionism, comics needed a book that reconstructed the mythology of the superhero. I think Marvels began this trend, highlighting how the general public saw it's heroes. The use of an everyman character was appropriate, and necessary, to tell the story.

TomGun13
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I liked it alright. I'm not about to throw insane amounts of praise on it like some people do, but I found it to be entertaining and nice to look at.

Nowhere near worth the $50 they're charging for the hardcover though.

A buddy of mine bought it at a con in the summer for $30. Apparently it has TONS of extras. Man I wish I had bought one too.

jimmyboy
11-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Wow, I thought "Marvels" was wonderful. Great art, perfect for the character and the setting. It was a refreshing (for me) take on the superhero myth, from the every day man who sees what they do and the after-effects.

Brock
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I am really looking forward to Marvels 2 though. I love Jay Anacleto.

Cay

Is this still happening? It feels like years since it was first announced, and there haven't been any updates since.

Cayman
11-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Is this still happening? It feels like years since it was first announced, and there haven't been any updates since.

I think Kurt Busiek has said they are not going to discuss it much until it's closer to release. Anacleto is a very, very slow artist.

Cay

thik_3rd
11-09-2005, 05:32 PM
in tom brevoort's chat a while back, he said busiek had already written the first 3 issues.

Babylon23
11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
in tom brevoort's chat a while back, he said busiek had already written the first 3 issues.

That's interesting, especially since Astro City: The Dark Age supposedly contains altered versions of a lot of the ideas from Marvels 2. I just assumed that Marvels 2 was no longer on the cards.

Kurt Busiek
11-10-2005, 08:50 AM
That's interesting, especially since Astro City: The Dark Age supposedly contains altered versions of a lot of the ideas from Marvels 2. I just assumed that Marvels 2 was no longer on the cards.

No, it's just a different story.

kdb

frankiedetroit
11-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I really enjoyed Marvels when it came out. It was something I hadn't seen much of at the time and I had never seen Alex Ross' art work before so it blew me away. Joe Rice put it well, though, when he decried what this book spawned. But hey, I don't blame Hulk 181 for the Wolverine plague that followed, so I won't knock Marvels for its unruly children. I haven't read Marvels in years, but can imagine that if someone is seeing it for the first time, it wouldn't have the same impact.

I will definitely get the second one, and am glad to know, Kurt, that it's a different story from Dark Ages (which I enjoyed a lot even though I wasn't familiar with any of the Marvel stories that inspired it).

Babylon23
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
No, it's just a different story.

kdb

Thanks for the update Kurt. I'm definitely looking forward to Marvels 2 now. Also, I loved The Dark Age, and can't wait for the next chapter.

Frank
11-11-2005, 07:54 AM
I think Marvels restored some of the wonder and awe to the MU.After the 80's deconstructionism, comics needed a book that reconstructed the mythology of the superhero. I think Marvels began this trend, highlighting how the general public saw it's heroes. The use of an everyman character was appropriate, and necessary, to tell the story.

Bingo

After all the late 80s/early 90s dark & gritty crap with the Deathclaws and Cyber Blows, Marvels made me fall in love with The Marvel Universe once again. And how great and magical super-heroes trully are.

And KC took it a step further, I think.

Brian R
11-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I loved it personally, I found it to be unlike anything I had ever read and that really appealed to me. Is it a masterpiece? Perhaps not, but its still a very engaging story with beautiful artwork that stars almost all of Marvel's key guys, what's not to like?

davidboring
10-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I am deeply ashamed at making this thread,

I made it years ago but have always felt guilty that Kurt himself came here and read it,

I love Astro City and it is the sin of my life that i should interact with him in this way (a trollish thread),

I read a negative review of Marvels on a website about bad comics called "gone and forgotton" and quoted it with another bad review in my OP. I was surprised at the bad review and wanted others reactions, however as I wanted the effect and reaction I just made it look as though i was bashing marvels, not saying it was a quote. I didnt mean I wasnt a fan, just was curious if other people had the reaciton.

I got Marvels for my 22nd birthday after my parents took me round Borders to choose my presents, I loved it and will never forget how Ross drew the Galactus coming, or Spider-Man and Gwen Stacey. I hope i can make amends for the regret of my life.

Duy
10-14-2010, 03:25 AM

I made it years ago but have always felt guilty that Kurt himself came here and read it,

I love Astro City and it is the sin of my life that i should interact with him in this way (a trollish thread),

I read a negative review of Marvels on a website about bad comics called "gone and forgotton" and quoted it with another bad review in my OP. I was surprised at the bad review and wanted others reactions, however as I wanted the effect and reaction I just made it look as though i was bashing marvels, not saying it was a quote.

I got Marvels for my 22nd birthday after my parents took me round Borders to choose my presents, I loved it and will never forget how Ross drew the Galactus coming, or Spider-Man and Gwen Stacey. I hope i can make amends for the regret of my life.
Dude, if this was the regret of your life, you must have a pretty good life.

davidboring
10-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Well my CBR life anyway.

Eumenides
10-14-2010, 04:50 AM
Man, I haven't read Marvel in ages! I read it many years ago when it came out and a couple of times since, and I've always admired and appreciated what Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross attempted to portray with the mini-series. If showing superheroes through the life of an Everyman isn't what Marvel is all about, then I no longer know Marvel :smile:

Phil was such a likeable character, enthusiastic about superheroes in his youth and disillusioned in his old age. His change of perception just reflects the way superheroes changed too, from innocent fantasies to characters grounded in real problems and capable of failure.

It's amazing how Mark Waid's Kingdom Come complements Marvels so well; it's the chapter missing from this history of superheroes, the dark, nihilistic age since the '80s. Funny how Alex Ross drew both too.

coconutphone
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Man, I haven't read Marvel in ages! I read it many years ago when it came out and a couple of times since, and I've always admired and appreciated what Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross attempted to portray with the mini-series. If showing superheroes through the life of an Everyman isn't what Marvel is all about, then I no longer know Marvel :smile:

Phil was such a likeable character, enthusiastic about superheroes in his youth and disillusioned in his old age. His change of perception just reflects the way superheroes changed too, from innocent fantasies to characters grounded in real problems and capable of failure.

It's amazing how Mark Waid's Kingdom Come complements Marvels so well; it's the chapter missing from this history of superheroes, the dark, nihilistic age since the '80s. Funny how Alex Ross drew both too.

I know very little about DC. Would I like Kingdom Come even without knowing many of the details and cahracters?

Duy
10-14-2010, 08:30 AM
I know very little about DC. Would I like Kingdom Come even without knowing many of the details and cahracters?
As long as you know Superman and Wonder Woman and Batman, and just basically the basic concept of Captain Marvel, yes.

Bad Wolf
10-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I loved it for the way it made all those fantastic characters real.

Trey
10-14-2010, 02:21 PM
I hate it with a power of 1,000,000,000 suns. So boring. And the art, while cool and well done, lacks in storytelling.

Hamdinger
10-14-2010, 09:56 PM

As long as you know Superman and Wonder Woman and Batman, and just basically the basic concept of Captain Marvel, yes.
Only other thing you need to know is that the 90's comic book era is bad and the Silver Age is supposedly perfection and the best thing ever. With that you are armed with all the info you need! Oops maybe I should of added spoiler alerts.:biggrin:

Duy
10-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Only other thing you need to know is that the 90's comic book era is bad and the Silver Age is supposedly perfection and the best thing ever. With that you are armed with all the info you need! Oops maybe I should of added spoiler alerts.:biggrin:
Not necessarily. It was more poignant in that time, sure, but the basic message of protecting the innocent coming first over punishing the guilty is still intact.

I lent it to a friend back in 200... 4? And he thought it was just the neatest story ever. He ended up buying a copy.

I also think it's rather unfair to post a biased take on it when the guy's just asking if he'd get it without knowing much of the DCU.

dupersuper
10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I very muched liked it. The only issue I have is that the POV character would be very old in the modern era.

Duy
10-14-2010, 11:46 PM
I very muched liked it. The only issue I have is that the POV character would be very old in the modern era.
He hardly shows up in the modern era, so it's more a matter of taking the story for what it is instead of fitting it into continuity.

Darth Tigris
10-14-2010, 11:51 PM

I read a negative review of Marvels on a website about bad comics called "gone and forgotton" and quoted it with another bad review in my OP. I was surprised at the bad review and wanted others reactions, however as I wanted the effect and reaction I just made it look as though i was bashing marvels, not saying it was a quote. I didnt mean I wasnt a fan, just was curious if other people had the reaciton.

I crowed about a couple of typos in an issue of Astro City on Newsarama a few years back and Kurt chimed in on it and I too felt like the absolute worst the internet has to offer. I tried to make amends (as I was actually wrong about one of them) but it still haunts me. So I know how you feel, lol.

Marvels is something that I would confidently give to anyone that loves or hates comics to read because I think it represents AND celebrates the best the medium has to offer. So yeah, I liked it. :cool: