PDA

View Full Version : Best Comics Villains?

Gail Simone
10-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Do me a favor and list your fave villains in comics, in these categories...

DC

Marvel

Other (Image, Vertigo, whatever!)

THANKS!

Gail

JeffreyWKramer
10-28-2005, 08:55 AM
DC - Psycho-Pirate, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Luthor, old-school Brainiac, Fatal Five, Black Adam, Anton Arcane, Mordru, Per Degaton, Ra's al-Ghul, Grodd, the Crime Syndicate

Marvel - Dr. Doom, Baron Mordo, Doctor Octopus, Purple Man, Mandarin, Dracula, Sebastian Shaw, Psycho-Man

Other - Herr Starr, Jesus DeSade

Chuckg
10-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Doctor Victor von Doom (pre-"Unthinkable")

Best comics villain ever, any time, anywhere.

Magneto_X
10-28-2005, 09:04 AM

DC
Lex Luther, Darkseid, Brainiac (Superman:TAS, JL:U), Mordru, the Fatal Five (LSH), Bane, Clayface (Batman:TAS, JL:U), Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, Ra's al Ghul, Metallo

Marvel

Doom, Thanos, the Rhino, Deadpool (he counts as a villian, right?), Apocalypse, Sinister, Dormammu, Baron Zemo II, Kingpin, Magneto, Dracula, Venom, Loki, the Enchantress, the Lizard, Chameleon, Mephisto, the Destroyer (armour), Mystique, Sabastian Shaw, Cassandra Nova

Regis (Authority), that guy who was the reincarnated spirit of George Washington (StormWatch: Team Achilles), the Four (Planetary)

THANKS!

Gail

No problem, Gail.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
DC:

Lex Luthor
The Joker
Darkseid
Brainiac
Ra's Al Ghul

Marvel:

Doc Ock
Doom (sometimes)
Mad Thinker (just from his She-Hulk appearence alone; poor Awesome Andy)

Other (Vertigo, Wildstorm): Herr Starr, The Saint of Killers, Alter T'se Elon (spelling?), Tao, Miss Misery

Dr Manolis Dooplove
10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
mmm, let's think

DC

PsychoPirate
Black Mary Marvel (from JLA classified)
Cheshire
Lady Shiva
Riddler
Catwoman
Black Mask
Bizarro
Poison Ivy
Mr. Mxyzptlk

Marvel

Lady Mastermind
Swarm
Korvac
Scorpio
Enchantress
Mojo
Proteus
the Spot
Rhino
the Coach
Princess Diana (X-statix)

-coming soon-

Just_A_Rat
10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
DC - Joker, Brother Blood (though not as much the recent incarnation), Ra's Al Ghul, Sinestro, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Lady Shiva, Cheshire, Vandal Savage.

Marvel - Dr. Doom, Thanos, Green Goblin, Bullseye, The Mad Thinker, Taskmaster.

Other - Can't think of any in the "other" books I read off the top of my head.

titanfan
10-28-2005, 09:18 AM
DC
1. Deathstroke
2. Deadshot
3. Count Vertigo
4. The Female Furies
5. Despero

Marvel
1. Tarot
2. White Queen (When she was a full villain)
3. Mephisto
4. Magneto
5. Dr. Doom

1. Skeletor
2. Darth Vader
3. Jaws (The James Bond Villain, not the Shark)
4. Terminator Robots (from the movies)
5. The Borg

ducklord
10-28-2005, 10:07 AM
DC
Joker - Iconic, deceptively tricky to write, and downright scary when he's not overused.
Mr. Nobody - Had one of the creepier origins ever, and brightened up every Doom Patrol he appeared in.
Darkseid - True, these days he's almost in need of a ByrneBoot (i.e. "Every appearance of Darksied for the past five years has actually been Kalibak in disguise"), but when written well, Darkseid IS.
Compostie Superman - His name makes no sense. His costume makes no sense. He's laughably overpowered. And his action figure sits on my desk.
Pre-Crisis Luthor - The Greatest Mind in the World, overcome by petty jealousies and misplaced hostility. A tragic character.

MARVEL
Dr. Doom - Possibly the coolest of all comic villains. Vain, arrogant, honorable, brilliant...and he's got a country backing him up.
Galactus - The man eats planets.
The Red Skull - The ultimate nazi. If he's really dead, Cap's lost a wonderful nemesis.
Loki - There are few villains more enjoyable to see defeated than Loki. He really gets into the whole "sniveling" thing.
Doc Ock - Just on looks alone.

OTHER
Emperor Palpatine - Episode III sold me. The Emperor is a bad-ass.
The Smoking Man - "Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctoral gift that no one ever asks for."
The Mayor - Rarely has evil been so gosh-darned affable.
Khan - Dude, Montablan should've been nominated for an Oscar.
Kid Miracleman - A fairly definitive peek into why we probably really DON'T want superhumans in the real world.
Most of the Disney Animated Villains - Special props to Ursula and Gaston, who sang the best songs in their movies, and Cruella DeVille, who has the best song ABOUT a villain.
Pennywise - Brrrrr.

Hmmm, perhaps I should work,
Mike.

TheLyle
10-28-2005, 10:38 AM
DC:
The Fatal Five, the Emerald Empress especially... mostly because of Paul Levitz
-
Brother Blood/Mother Mayhem/Bethany Snow.. I liked the idea of the Titans fighting a propagandist
-
Gizmo/Shimmer/Spiral/Psimon... whatever those guys called themselves
-
Mordru
-
The Crime Syndicate of earth-3... there's just something about evil counterparts
-
Madame Rouge... amongst my first comics was Garfield avenging the Doom Patrol. She was a very compelling villain.
-
The New Brotherhood of Evil... Phobia, Warp and Plasimus made the Brain and Mallah scarier.
-
Cheshire... she just invokes the diva complex
-
If Catman counts, VU made him a winner for me.
-
As much as I hate to admit it, I still adore the Force of July. I've always liked patriotic themed characters, and they played on the themes differently (with powers not usually found in patriotically-themed characters). Mayflower, Lady Liberty, Silent Majority -- I would have loved them as heroes or villains. And I would have loved them more without the lame accents.
-
The Toyman... just 'cause I like scary toys.
-
The Time Trapper... I just like the schemers. BTW, was there any follow up to the suggestion that the new TT was a woman at the end of Zero Hour?

Marvel:
The White Queen... I liked how she was a schemer who's plans often didn't require physical strength but guile and wit.
-
The rest of the Hellfire Club...similar reasons, though the fetish uniforms certainly gave them a unique and creepy look.
-
Killer Moth... she certainly had an intersting power
-
Destiny and Mystique... The Sisterhood of Evil Mutants were the more interesting parts of the team to me and I did enjoy how they used their powers.
-
The Enchantress, but just the campy, badly-written version who declared Dazzler her arch-nemesis.

Boy, those Marvel picks are the gayest ever.

Other:
The New Justice Machine... I just liked the whole "tools of propaganda" aspect of that comic.
-
Saker (IIRC)... the elementals' first foe is still pretty scary.
-
The Rapture... goodness, those guys have the scariest origin ever, I know comic fans who still haven't gotten over it.

Kevinroc
10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
DC:

The Joker
Lex Luthor
Darkseid (except for the current incarnation that can't beat Superman. That's just wrong)
Captain Cold
The Crime Syndicate.

Marvel:

Magneto
Loki
Doom
Thanos
The Void

EZMOHR
10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
DC- Lex Luthor- The Ultimate Villian
Brainiac- COld and Calculating
Capt. Cold- Just does it because it is a job
Joker- The Ultimate Psycho
Grodd- Strong, Hateful, and Scary

Marvel- Magneto- In full I hate humans mode is scary
Zombie Reed Richards in Ultimate FF
Apocalypse- Look at his name

Others- Darth Vader- When he was evil he was evil
Khan- His one-track mind made him dangerous
Agent Smith- He is the Joker of the movie universe. Scary
Alonzo Harris- Denzel made him nice at first, nuts at the end

SoulOnIce
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
DC: Lex Luthor, Two-Face

Marvel: Bullseye, Green Goblin (Norman Osborn).

Other: Alan Rickman in Die Hard.

LibrarianThorne
10-28-2005, 11:09 AM

DC

Marvel

THANKS!

Gail

DC
Mr. Mxyzptlk
The Joker
Two-Face
Darkseid
Doomsday (pre-Our Worlds at War. Doomsday shouldn't talk)
Bane
Lex Luthor (Byrne's Luthor, the evil businessman. Much cooler than generic mad scientist Luthor)
Captain Boomerang (how can you not like Captain Boomerang?)
Professor Zoom (the current one)
Black Adam

Marvel
Dr. Doom
Thanos (only Peter David's Thanos has really impressed me, to be honest)
Magneto
Galactus
Apocalypse
Mr. Sinister
Baron Zemo (the name alone does it)
Loki
The Red Skull

Maelbolgia

Anime/Manga
Griffith (from Berserk)
Zabuza (from Naruto)
Akuma/Gouki (Street Fighter: Alpha)
Frieza/Furiza (Dragonball Z)

chicainery
10-28-2005, 11:25 AM
DC: Joker, Harley Quinn, Lex Luthor, Poisen Ivy

Marvel: Doctor Doom, Magneto, White Rabbit (http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/white_rabbit.html)

Vertigo: Saint of Killers (Preacher)

Azrael52
10-28-2005, 11:27 AM
DC:
Bane, Hush, Joker, Mongul, Darkseid, Cyborg Superman, Deathstroke

Marvel: Only know a few: Venom, Magneto

JeffreyWKramer
10-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Some others to the "other" category - Kid Miracleman, 9-Jack-9 (ZOT!) and Arthur Dekko (ZOT!)

JeffreyWKramer
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Other: Alan Rickman in Die Hard.

Kick-ass choice! I concur.

Bored at 3:00AM
10-28-2005, 01:11 PM
DC: Lex Luthor, Darksied, Brainiac, Catwoman, Deadshot

Marvel: Magneto, Doctor Doom, Red Skull, Kingpin, Bullseye

Other: Cobra Commander, Destro, Megatron, Starscream

Chuckg
10-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh, if we're bringing in villains from outside the comics, then I nominate Angelus.

JeffreyWKramer
10-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh, if we're bringing in villains from outside the comics, then I nominate Angelus.

Oooh, another exceptional choice.

Bright-Raven
10-28-2005, 02:03 PM
DC:

Joker, Scarecrow, Parasite, Chesire, Sinestro, The Shade, Vandal Savage, Ra's Al Ghul, Darkseid, Mr. Freeze (at least the animated version), Ares, Clayface, Rupert Thorne, Riddler, Black Manta, Phosphorous Man, Killer Frost....

How long of a list do you want, again, Gail? ;)

Marvel:

Doctor Doom, Annihilus (sp?), Ultron, Kingpin, Chameleon, Red Skull, Mojo....

You know what the problem is, Gail? Marvel keeps turning all the really cool villains into reformed characters or central book characters. I'd consider Magneto, Mystique, Emma Frost, or Taskmaster, or some others, but they're not necessarily "villains" anymore. :(

I can't think of any "villains" in outside stories at the moment. Maybe I'll think of some and come back.

Vesper
10-28-2005, 03:44 PM
DC: Lex Luthor (L&C Season One version--corrupt business man with his hands in many different pies, but amazingly charismatic/sexy. you can see corporate america in him!), Lady Shiva, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Captain Boomerang, The Scarecrow

Marvel: any number of Spider-Man's main rogues gallery--I loved how they tied in their daily existences with Peter

Other: Richard III (Shakespeare, prolly my fave villain/play of all time)
Darth Vader
The Sunnydale Mayor (Buffy)
Faith (Buffy)
Spike (Buffy)
Maleficent (Disney)
Cruella (Disney)
Captain Hook (Disney)
Agent Smith (The Matrix)
Madame de Mertueil (Dangerous Liasons)
Hannibal Lector
Dr. Evil
The Headless Horseman

ok, ok, got a little carried away ><

Zack
10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
DC:

Captain Boomerang: Man, SUICIDE SQUAD made this character amazing. A cowardly, mean-spirited, racist career criminal who would go commit more crimes the moment you turned him free. But you liked him because 1) when in a corner, he would fight like a lion; 2) he was completely without pretentions, and 3) hell, no one else liked him. While I didn't like his death in IDENTITY CRISIS, I thought it was only fitting that he inflicted a true blow to the heroes of the DCU...ensuring that no one would think of him as a joke ever again.

Darkseid: He's a GOD. He is always two steps ahead. He can obliterate you with a look. And you can never, ever truly defeat him.

Deadshot: Great costume. Tragic origin. Deadly abilities. Doesn't give a shit. 'nuff said.

Deathstroke: Because sometimes he can even be a GOOD guy, and because you always understand his motivations.

Dr. Destiny: Dude! The guy's look inspired SKELETOR! Not only is he a great over-the-top Silver Age type villain, he's also one of the scariest psychopaths ever..."24 Hours" in SANDMAN gave me nightmares. If you could find a way to fuse that...

Flouronic Man: Damn, Alan Moore did a great job with him in SWAMP THING. Just a scary, clinical character who looks at humans the way we look at plants. Brr.

Luthor: Superman can fly, lift a mountain, see through walls, melt steel. Luthor is fat and bald. And Superman is afraid of HIM.

Two-Face: I don't think there's any villain who is just so SAD. Greg Rucka once said he loved to write the character, because Two-Face could always make him cry. It's one of the few, lucky cases where there's a great design AND a great motivation for a character.

Zoom: Great motivation, and a genuine threat.

Goofy Favs:

Black Hand: I liked his motivation, and in the original stories, he would sometimes talk to the reader.

Clayface: Only really good on BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, but visually, this is a hard villain to top.

Hector Hammond: Big head. Immortal. Immobile. Creepy as hell.

Killer Moth: Like Catman, he was the anti-Batman. And I always kind of liked that weird mask and wing costume.

Pleasantly surprised to see Psycho-Pirate on so many lists! It's a cool power, and the fact that he has access to Pre-Crisis DCU gives him a nostalgia factor.

Marvel:

Doctor Doom: You know what? I totally disagreed with Mark Waid's take him in "Unthinkable." The thing that made Doom scary for me was that on some level, he was RIGHT. Stan Lee said so himself -- Doom WAS the smartest guy in the world, who was to say he shouldn't rule it? But what made it sick was that he wanted world rule on HIS terms...you had to admit he was the best, and everyone who opposed him had to fall.

The best Doom stories I've read have had him doing the right thing for the wrong reason...re-taking Latveria by deposing an even worse dictator, or saving the world from the Overmind because Reed Richards couldn't.

The scary thing about Doom is not that he'll do anything to get ultimate power...it's that this egomaniac may genuinely be intelligent and tenacious enough to DESERVE IT. And where does that leave everyone else?

Doctor Octopus: You can have both funny AND scary stories with the character. He can be a mastermind or a pathetic lump. What's fascinating is that, like Spider-Man, you have a character who is fundamentally driven by insecurities, and that makes for a great contrast.

Magneto: Again, a great character because of the righteousness aspect. It's a great name, a great design, a great power. And over the years, they added such levels to the character that he became both more sympathetic and more dangerous. He LED the X-Men for years! You can take Magneto to all kinds of extremes, and he's still compelling -- the true sign of a great character.

Pre-Resurrection Green Goblin: A truly DANGEROUS villain, who crossed the lines that most comic book villains wouldn't. And so truly poisonous that his legacy affected other characters for decades to come. Then they fucked it up by bringing him back to tie up a bad storyline.

Kingpin: You have a villain that is willing to literally destroy someone's life from the ground up. He's physically intimidating AND a cunning mastermind.

Pre-Overexposure Venom: An AMAZING design, and a truly scary personality. The convoluted origin has made him very difficult to translate into other media, and Marvel has run him into the damn ground. But when he first came out, a comic with Venom was COOL. Period. It was so much fun to have Spider-Man basically fighting a grim-and-gritty version of himself...boy, we were naive.

Zemo: There is such a fantastic legacy aspect of his conflict with Captain America. Zemo I killed Bucky; Cap killed Zemo I (sort of). So you've got two characters who have literally taken the most important person in each other's life from them. And when Zemo II tries to be a good guy, that gives it another turn of the screw.

BONUS: Goofy Marvel Villains!

Arnim Zola: Best. Kirby. Design. Ever.

Diablo: He's an alchemist! He can make ANYTHING!

Dr. Demonicus: He makes giant monsters, has a purple skull-faced costume, and his name is Dr. Demonicus. I don't really see what I have to explain here.

Dr. Bong. He has a bell. FOR A HEAD.

Madcap: A cartoon character brought to life, and a great design to boot.

Maximus the Mad: Purple Man be damned, the Hannibal Lector of the Marvel Universe.

MODOK: Big head in a hover chair.

VERTIGO:

Herr Starr: A hilarious undercutting of the "master villain" character, who is more and more emasculated as the series goes on.

Gran'Ma: One of the most morally and physically repulsive characters EVER. Jesse taking his vengeance on her was one of my "Hell Yeah!" moments in comics.

The Smiler in TRANSMET: Because it's true.

Whew! May think of some more later.

Zack Smith

WhiteRose
10-28-2005, 06:47 PM
DC:

- Lady Shiva and her questionable allegiances!
- Poison Ivy and her feminine wiles! (She controlled CATWOMAN! That smacks of awesome)
- Harley Quinn and her crazy crazy!
- Cheshire and her complete disregard for human life!
- Vandal Savage and his creepy 'living dead' scenes! (Seriously, that 'Dark Knight Dynasty' story where he and Bruce are blazing through the atmosphere and end up a pile of charred bones. Then he GROWS EVERYTHING BACK and walks away) And:

"Recent archeological studies show that he may have invented cannibalism."
"Heh, that's a good one."
"What is?"

- Scandal and her Knockout! :D

Marvel:

- Venom when he was crazy!
- Mysterio when he was a media executive!
- Ultron when he was all like "Viiiiiiictooooor, I am your faaaaather."
- Mystique when she was Bitchy McBitch Bitch!
- Emma Frost when she wasn't a damn X-man!

Other:

- Hero and the Daughters of the Amazon (Y: The Last Man) - Dude, they cut off their BREAST and played merry archers from MOTORCYCLES! Bitch was crazy! And brainwashed! And then she got all reformed and...non-brainwashed.

And that's all I really read outside of the Big Two.

SCANDAL AND HER KNOCKOUT!

Gaz
10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
DC:

- Lady Shiva and her questionable allegiances!
- Poison Ivy and her feminine wiles! (She controlled CATWOMAN! That smacks of awesome)

When??!?!?!?!?!? :confused:

WhiteRose
10-28-2005, 07:40 PM

What, Lady Shiva or Poison Ivy?

Lady Shiva's constant bouncing over the thin line of the law isn't too hard to find. Poison Ivy controlled Catwoman in the "Batman: Hush" arc. I found the whole thing rather kinky, in a twisted villian-y kinda way.

blackcanary_416
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
DC:
Calculator
Rose and Thorn
Harvest
Cheshire
Silver Swan

Marvel:
Green Goblin
Hob Goblin

Tommy
10-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I can not think of a villian in comics better than Dr. Doom.

David O Burcham
10-28-2005, 10:43 PM
DC:

Fatal Five (Tharok, Manos, Persuader, Evil Empress, Validus)
Fearsome Five (Dr. Light, Psimon, Shimmer, Mammoth, Gizmo)
SSoSV (Wizard, Star Sapphire, Floronic Man, Reverse-Flash, Blockbuster)
Brotherhood of Evil (Brain, Mallah, Houngan, Phobia, Warp, Plasmus)

Marvel:

Masters of Evil (Egghead, Tiger Shark, Moonstone, Scorpion, Whirlwind, Shocker, Radioactive Man, Beetle)
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Mystique, Destiny, Blob, Pyro, Avalanche, Rouge)
Sinister Sindicate (Beetle, Boomerang, Rhino, Speed Demon, Hydro Man)

I'm a sucker for villian teams!

Other:

Chairface Chippendale (The Tick)
Octopus (The Spirit)
Darcy Parker (Strangers in Paradise)

AND THE STUPID, STUPID RAT CREATURES!!! (Bone)

Azrael52
10-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Crap, can't believe I forgot to include Luthor. The best one, by far!

Lunar Daydreamer
10-28-2005, 11:39 PM
No Villan has ever filled me with as much terror or fear as Savitar did within Mark Waid's stunning Dead Heat story in Flash. Sensational stuff I *ran* to the shop for and had to read *immediately* as soon as I got outside the store. Never ever had that happen before or since.

hitokiri_
10-28-2005, 11:51 PM
captain cold
zoom II
poison ivy (she kissed supergirl :D)
batman :evilsmile
doug side :D
luthor
joker
scarecrow
junkie mirror master
murmur
deathstroke

Cam63
10-29-2005, 06:33 AM
DC:

Joker ( when written with some goddamn style )
Luthor
Catwoman ( when she was a baddie )
Gail Simone ( for the wallet thing )

Marvel:

Doom
Loki
Magneto
Mystique

Other:

Sk's furry pipe cleaner ( well, it looks evil )

Ringslinger76
10-29-2005, 07:11 AM
Az will be mad, but I'm not including Luthor...
Please note these are my favs, not because of how they've been used, but because of their cool POTENTIAL.
DC:
Scarecrow
Gorilla Grodd
Catwoman (she needs to be a villian again)
Reverse Flash (If he wants to kill you, you're already dead)
Mr. Mxyztplk
Brainiac
Metallo
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Sinestro
Marvel:
Dr. Doom
Green Goblin (pre-Gwen Stacy humper)
Apokolips
Taskmaster (Udon's costume design please)
Quicksilver

sk716
10-29-2005, 07:50 AM

I think it was during No Man's Land, but I've been reading so many back issues over the last couple of weeks I may be wrong. I definetly remember reading it though.

sk716
10-29-2005, 07:56 AM
DC:
Joker
Harley
Poison Ivy
Lobo (Well, he sure ain't a good guy!)

Particularly when any two of them are interacting with one another.

Marvel:

I haven't read a Marvel Book in a couple of years and I never was really a Marvel reader.

Other:

The indies I read tend to be comedic. But Monkey in a Wagon is high on my list.

Gaz
10-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Marvel Villains Have No Fashion Sense... (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=273218)

Ringslinger76
10-29-2005, 09:40 AM
wow im using my psp 2 post... SOOO SLOW. Add Catman 2 my list post VU. :)

Nick Kal
10-30-2005, 01:12 AM
DC: Lex Luthor, The Joker, Psycho Pirate, Two-Face, Deathstroke, Deadshot & Darkseid

Marvel: Dr. Doom, Red Skull, The Kingpin, Venom, Magneto, Mystique & Thanos

PatJRyan
10-30-2005, 01:41 AM
What was the name of that mutant Tyranosaurus Rex in Alan Moore's 1963 comic?

I like mad scientists to be completely crazy. Otherwise why call them mad? These days so many have had their 'motivation' worked out for them, like the writer has just read a book on method acting.

Which reminds me: Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz.

Also who was that guy that organized the baseball game when the Arkham Asylum inmates had to be housed at Blackgate prison? I remember that he was not afraid of dying because he thought that he would just be reincarnated again. Completely nuts.

Anthrax Ghoulshadow, BA.

Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale.

Dracula (from Marvel's Tomb of Dracula).

TAO.

Judge Cal and the Kleggs.

Tad Sivana
10-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Well of course you only need to look at my name to know who my favorite is.
Other stellar chaps suitable for membership in the Interpublisher Monster Band of Awful Deviants (IMBAD):
Mr. Mind (already a member)
Hannibal Lecter...so reasonable...so evil
Emilio Gargunza...a scary version of me by A. Moore
The Yellow Claw...always underused
She Who Must Be Obeyed
Dr. Victor Von Doom...he's really NOT a nice guy
Punch and Jewelee...annoying twits who are only in it for the money
Granny Goodness...we don't see her doing much, but c'mon, we all know she's kidnapping kids, recruiting and training Dog Soldiers, shanghaiing innocent people to Apokolips, etc...and nobody does anything about it!
NiteWing...scary origin makes him an up and comer....
so many more....I'm going to have to give this some thought!

TonyJaymz03
10-30-2005, 04:50 PM
everyone has said the well known ones, these are some of my fav. obscure villains

Dr. Druid
Silver Dagger
Living laser
Steel Serpent

theres more but im at a loss for words for some reason....

Gingold
10-30-2005, 05:57 PM
DC-
Bizarro
Deadshot
Darkseid
Gorilla Grodd
the Brotherhood of Evil
the Brotherhood of Dada
Joker

Marvel-
Dr. Doom
Dark Phoenix
Proteus
Kingpin
Dr. Bong
the Headmen

stealthwise
10-30-2005, 06:27 PM
It'll be tough not to repeat what everyone else is saying but... (and obviously this list is for the villains at their best written)

DC - Joker
Lex Luthor
Darkseid
Deathstroke
Bizarro
Mxyzptlk
Mirror Master

Marvel - Dr. Doom
Doctor Octopus
Green Goblin
Magneto
Thanos
Bullseye (Miller's work and Way and Dillon's mini were great)

Other - Omniman (from Invincible)
Mr. Glass (from Unbreakable)
Darius Dax from Supreme (he's basically another Luthor, but there's something about him that's so cool)
Herr Starr
Lucifer from Sandman
Kevin from Sin City

mgs
10-30-2005, 09:28 PM
without adding what everyone else has mentioned:

Other:
Dr. Peachbody and Benji (from Gold Digger, Antarctic Press)

Soracia (from Theives & Kings, I-Box Publishing)

Cam63
10-30-2005, 10:05 PM
Televangelists.

They evil, evil, eeeee-vil bastards.

PatJRyan
11-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Moriarty - because a classic is just a classic.

Long John Silver - the guy just has charm.

And from the mind of one of the greatest comics writers ever:

Flintheart Glomgold, The Beagle Boys and Magica De Spell.

Gavin Higginbotham, BotF
11-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Marvel - Magneto, Juggernaut (old school), Sabretooth, Apocalypse and of course, Doctor Doom.

DC - Black Adam, Deathstroke, Lex Luthor and my personal favourite, Deadshot.

Image - DarkLord, Thor, PowerHouse, Mako (all from SAVAGE DRAGON)

PanzerMega
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Prometheus.

His two arcs in Grant Morrison's JLA should have led to him being a major DC villain. He had a cool personality, a truckload of powers (downloadable fighting skills, flashing helmet, weird energy stick, access to limbo, and most importantly, a dangerous mind).

He was just weird, and hardcore, and beat Batman in a fight. Prometheus needs a Deathstroke level return to prominence.

Cam63
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Benny Hinn has to be evil.

Well, at least his hair looks evil.

Gumbo Maximillian
11-01-2005, 12:31 PM
DC

Monarch
Doomsday
Zero
Manchester Black
Bane
Fatal Five
Cyborg-Superman

Marvel

Kingpin
Bullseye
Red Skull
Venom
Sabretooth

Other

Cobra Commander
Skeletor

jetfire85
11-01-2005, 01:22 PM
DC: Darkseid, The Key (Morrison's updated version), Solaris, Harley and Ivy

Marvel: Doom, Beetle (even if he is Mach-IV now), Taskmaster (pre-Gail)

Other: SPOILER

Omni-Man from Invincible

END SPOILER

David O Burcham
11-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Benny Hinn has to be evil.

?????????

http://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/screamingskull/benny%20hill.jpg

;) :D

Cam63
11-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I understand your confusion.

Cam63
11-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Benny Hill was a bloke who enjoyed making others laugh ( even if his brand of humour didn't agree with some ).

Benny Hinn is this bastard.

http://www.healingfellowship.com/Portals/0/benny-hinn-bio-pic.jpg

Kyuubi
11-01-2005, 11:57 PM
http://www.healingfellowship.com/Portals/0/benny-hinn-bio-pic.jpghttp://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/screamingskull/benny%20hill.jpg

I'm not really seeing a difference. Maybe that's just because all white people look alike to me.

And me being white makes that even more confusing.

Cam63
11-02-2005, 12:08 AM
It's easy.

Black nehru jacket with fucked up hair = EVIL

Smiley bloke wearing doorman's uniform and cap on sideways = NOT EVIL

the4thpip
11-02-2005, 12:47 AM
DC:
Johnny Dune
http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/1449/400/1449_4_095.jpg

Marvel:
Hypno Hustler
http://www.comics.org/graphics/covers/2359/400/2359_4_0024.jpg

Other:
Van "The Hustle" McCoy

http://www.musicobsession.com/Pictures/v/a/vanmccoy324668.jpg

Kyuubi
11-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Marvel has the worst villain EVER!

http://luchins.com/dickery/hulk103vsoneeyedmonster.jpg

DC has... this guy.

http://luchins.com/dickery/stylist.jpg

He'll mess your hair up something awful.

Cam63
11-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Marvel has the worst villain EVER!

http://luchins.com/dickery/hulk103vsoneeyedmonster.jpg

DC has... this guy.

http://luchins.com/dickery/stylist.jpg

He'll mess your hair up something awful.

Those buggers in the industry had so much fun doing stuff like this under the noses of the authority wankers.

Good on 'em.

Cayman
11-02-2005, 08:39 AM
DC

Prometheus - Grant Morrison version, not Hush version. He should've been a contender.

Woodrue - He was so scary and yet strangely sympathetic when Moore wrote him.

Psycho Pirate - Because of the cool costume.

Amazo - Because he's a buff Santa's elf who can become the JLA.

Ragdoll - Always had the best lines.

Marvel

Dormammu - Great visual.

The Lizard - Reptiles rock.

Stegron - See above.

Sidewinder - See above.

Electro - My favorite non-reptile Spider-Man foe.

Cassandra Nova - She's so wicked.

Proteus - Creepy and cool.

Annihilus - Evil armored space bug.

Other

The Four (Planetary) - They are pretty hardcore.

He-Man Of The Cloth (Tom Peyer's Authority) - Hilarious character.

Cay

Monkey Boy
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
DC

Joker - because hes so crazy
Scarecrow
Deathstroke
Shiva

Marvel

Venom

Gumbo Maximillian
11-02-2005, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=the4thpip]DC:
Johnny Dune

Wait; the JLA got beat by Jimmy Hendrix?

Cam63
11-02-2005, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=the4thpip]DC:
Johnny Dune

Wait; the JLA got beat by Jimmy Hendrix?

Nope. Hendrix was left handed.

Cam63
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Short question.

If he's got the JLA hypnotised, why would he need to tie them up ?

the4thpip
11-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Short question.

If he's got the JLA hypnotised, why would he need to tie them up ?
It's a turn-on.

Cam63
11-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I see...

Silly me !

hitokiri_
11-18-2005, 06:24 PM
ok. here it is.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4136/wtf6cz.jpg

Paploo the Ewok
11-18-2005, 07:36 PM

DC

Marvel

THANKS!

Gail

DC-
Lex Luthor- C'mon, y'know Lex is a total asswipe.
Star Sapphire- his worst enemy is my girlfriend? GF's so screwed!
Darkseid- Best Jack Kirby Villan Ever. He's useful in just about any title, and doesn't have the boring repetitiveness of say Apocalypse.
Poison Ivy- a Mad Hippy. Gotta love that
Harley Quinn- Said Mad Hippy's partner in crime.
Cheshire- completely psychopathic, I'll miss her.
Ares- The God of WAR, folks.

Marvel-
Mystique- she's also one of the best heroes :)
Khan the Conqueror- The villan who came closest to making Storm His Queen. I find him immensly amusing, and hey, he has a couple hundred worlds to back up his conquering claims.
Cassandra Nova- She was just a fun trip. But I think she's best left as is, mind you, and shouldn't return lest she become lame.
Callisto- Callisto was a lot of fun, again, like Mystique, more badass then villaness.
Viper--- See Cheshire. But slightly moreso. She has serious issues, and preferes to work them out creatively.
Courtney Ross- [aka Saturnyne] So a psychopathic version of your old girlfriend from another dimension kills her double in your world, pretends to be her [seeing as she has similar memories, and the same DNA, it's not too hard], becomes a higherup in the Underworld, and takes Kitty Pryde on as her protege? Add on being the new White Queen in the Hellfire Club, and you've got someone you don't want to mess with. Oh, and to screw with your head, she's a good actor, and makes you unsure if she's evil or not. Poor Captain Britain...
Green Goblin-- A great villan, but like Cassie, best left dead. If only that could be the case.

Other-
Prof.Tomoe and Kaori Night- my fave Sailor Moon villans, plus their henchmen, the Witches 5. They went by the name of the Deathbusters, or as the french translated it, the Death BASTARDS.

Megatron- Beast Wars version-- Yessss! Megatron talks to himself a lot, and the fact that he's talking to his beast mode head sometimes makes it all the more wierd. Overly enthusiastic, and enjoying baths with his rubber ducky, he overlooks the high death rate of his team, and occasionally proves to be quite the threat. Like doing what no other Megatron has ever done, AND ACTUALLY conquering Cybertron. Oh, and don't forget the whole "Queen" title Inferno thrust on him.

Lucy- Charlie Brown's archnemesis, and evil big sister, and an anti-hero all of her own, for Crabby Rights. You know you shouldn't get in her way. Also, a Psychologist, and you know you can't trust them.

Helen B. Narbon- adorable, cute, and thorouhghly mad. Killed her henchman Dave [but did bring him back to life], and has an unhealthy obsession for Gerbils.

Helen A. Narbon- Helen's Mother [she cloned her from her very own DNA!]. The Most Evil Comic Character EVER, cause she's Evil and someone's Mom, and is adept in the skills of both....

Ignatz- Poor Krazy Kat. He's in love with her, but he just can't stop throwing those bricks.

Paploo the Ewok
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Umm.... Is that Babs in that Batgirl costume? Interacting with the new Supergirl, and Poison Ivy in her current look? Is it Cassandra?

WHUH?

Kyuubi
11-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Umm.... Is that Babs in that Batgirl costume? Interacting with the new Supergirl, and Poison Ivy in her current look? Is it Cassandra?

WHUH?

SPOILER

That was Clayface trying to trick Supergirl by impersonating Batgirl, but Supergirl was aware of the batgirl situation and only pretended to not know.

/SPOILERS

Sharpandpointies
11-19-2005, 12:44 AM
DC
Not having read much DC before getting into BoP....

Lady Shiva (top)
Terminator
Cheshire (I mean, I really, really hate her - perfect example of the 'not respect-worthy' villain that is absolutely diabolical and evil)
I'm liking Calculator

Marvel:

Dormammu
Dr. Doom
Shuma-Gorath
Kraven the Hunter

Jademan Comics:
The Invincible Swordsman
Anscestor

Lanowar
11-19-2005, 05:01 AM
I'll throw down with my choices

DC:

Braniac: The Justice League Cartoon Version
Joker: Who does'nt like the clown prince of Gotham?
Darkseid: Ooh scary...
Doomsday: He KILLED Superman that makes him worthwhile
Deathstroke: When he took down the JLA in Identity Crisis is when I bumped him up on my list

Marvel:

Dr Doom: He's clearly one of those villians everyone knows about

Venom: We Are Venom...
Kang The Time Conqueror: I just like saying his name ooh Kang The Time Conqueror...I best not get stuck in that loop again.

Purple Man: The Alias version since well he's an bastard...

Apocalypse: I always liked him he just had an edge over most X-villians.

Morlun: Him along with Winter Solider and Gorgon are the best 'New' villians Marvel have done in a while. Oh I almost forgot the Black Swan <.< >.>

Unicron: I have summoned you hear for a purpose!
Herman Von Klempt: Nazi Head In A Jar!
Clone Wars General Grievous: Run...Jedi...Run
Sephiroth: Veni Veni Venias Ne Me More Facias...
Karl Rove: He's Evil I say EVIL!

Pixies Chick
11-20-2005, 09:29 AM
DC was easy:
Shiva
Shado
Cheshire
Catwoman
Eddie Fiers
Black Adam
Manchester Black
and sometimes Deathstroke

Marvel: Purple Man.

Anonymous Suit is my all-time favorite. I want villains who don't give a toot about heroes or their silly morals who act based on their own flawed needs.

And Karl Rove. He's a bastard for the ages, all right.

the4thpip
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Who battles... The Bottler?!

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/the4thpip/bottler.jpg

Green Lantern, sadly.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Kid Miracleman & Dr. Emil Gargunza in the 'other' category.

Tobias March
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM

DC

Marvel

THANKS!

Gail

DC: Sheeda Queen Gloriana Tenebris

Marvel: Kang

Dark Horse: The Zombie Priest

Vertigo: Grandma Custer

Image: Dead People (the Walking Dead)

Tobias March
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Kid Miracleman & Dr. Emil Gargunza in the 'other' category.

Brilliant suggestion, didn't think of that.

Flying Saucers Over Oz
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Not counting Wonder-villains or Secret Sixers...

DC

The Golden-Age Huntress, mainly cause I like the costume

The Joker

Golden-Age Catwoman, in her purple-and-green costume days

The Flash Rogues (Childhood faves, warped my perception of what super-villains should be for years)

Doctor Sivana, pre-Crisis (By turns comical, dangerous, and tragic)

Killer Frost (Original, not the dumb revamp in the blue swimsuit)

The Devil's Dozen (old 60's Legion villains, cool because there were only five or six of them and one of them was a Viking with the power to drink any liquid in prodigious amounts and another was a guy with the power to make girls fall in love with him)

MARVEL

The Headmen (Three characters from a lame-ass old horror comic brought back as a villain team, joined by a lady with a red ball for a head. Doesn't get any cooler than that)

Nekra (Felt sorry for her, really; lousy life, and her power DEPENDED on hate; if she was happy, she'd be powerless)

The Ringmaster (Again, felt sorry for him; the poor guy just wanted to keep his circus going; he turned to crime to pay the bills)

OTHER...

Doctor Miguelito Loveless, WILD WILD WEST

Murder LeGrande, WHITE ZOMBIE

The Evil Queen, SNOW WHITE (Disney)

The Wicked Witch of the West, WIZARD OF OZ (Movie; she's kinda lame in the book)

Doctor Phibes, THE ABOMINABLE DOCTOR PHIBES

Doctor Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank

OzBat!
01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
DC:

Definitely the Flash rogues. They're not the strongest. They're not even the brightest (if they really put their technological smarts together, think of what they could achieve instead of the small-minded scams they've always pulled). They're not the meanest, unless you cross them. What they are, however, is united. All these other villain teams gather together and then tear each other down from the inside. THESE guys are organised, they're a fraternity, they know each other better than anybody else and when they choose to do something, there's very little outside of somebody named 'Flash' that can stop them. This is why I place these guys higher than any other heroes' collective rogues gallery, including Bats and Spiderman. And the psychological examinations Geoff Johns did, revitalising the main players in the group, certaintly didn't hurt.

Other DC:

Vandal Savage. He got overused around the time of DC 1Million/The Ray/JLTF etc. He needed to be put back in the box for a decade or so. But his personal time scale means he's got plans that can and are promulgating over centuries, minor hiccups with overpowered spandex wearing clowns don't even register. And he never has all his eggs in one basket. This guy has done the overt empire building many times in his extended lifetime; I'm willing to bet he's also been covert empire building at the same time. Just how many bad things has this guy got his fingers in? I figure even Amazons have crossed swords with this guy in the distant past.

Gorilla Grodd. Evil, telepathic, psychokinetic, scientific genius from a technologically advanced, hidden civilisation. And he's a gorilla. Aside from the sudden inexplicable hands-on bloodlust, I thought Geoff Johns again gave this monkey the respect he deserves in his Flash revitalisation.

Marvel:

Everybody says Doctor Doom. This is one of those cases where Everybody is right, for all the same reasons.

The Hellfire Club, before it became an overblown parody of itself.

Thanos, who not only craved power but actually knew what to do with it once he had it.

Other:

Megatron. Not the lightweight cartoon version; the IDW version that successfully built an underground army and then unleashed it on an unsuspecting world with dreadful, devastating, clinical brutality.

Godzilla. 'Cause nothing says mindless destruction like a nuclear-powered force of nature, and monster movies wouldn't exist without the big G.

Violently Apathetic
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
DC
The Riddler
Captain Cold (The Rogues in general, actually)
Sinestro
Dr. Psycho

Marvel
Dr. Doom
Magneto
The Hobgoblin
Loki
The Kingpin
The Rose

Other
Lucifer (Sandman/Lucifer) Not sure if he counts, BUT...
Mr. Gone (The Maxx)

Flying Saucers Over Oz
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh, wait, wait, wait!

I forgot Angelique from Dark Shadows and Frank Gorshin's Riddler! I'm so ashamed...