PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Show with John Stewart

Jonah Weiland
10-15-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm curious how many of you here watch the Daily Show regularly. Four days a week? When you can? How often do you watch?

Me, I've got the TiVo recordining every episode. Drives me nuts when they go on vacation, though, and don't feed any listing information to TiVo. Then my TiVo ends up recording every episode they show each day, which means it records five+ episodes a day unless I tell it not to.

Arune Singh
10-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey, look, it's Jonah, the CBR prophet! ;)

J-Bone, you know I love the show and I'm looking forward to the "Stephen Colbert Report" starting this week.

Colbert seems like a bit of nerd... hmm, CBR interview in the waiting?

hugh45
10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey, look, it's Jonah, the CBR prophet! ;)

J-Bone, you know I love the show and I'm looking forward to the "Stephen Colbert Report" starting this week.

Really!? I thought the whole thing was just a joke :eek:

Inkthinker
10-16-2005, 01:10 AM
I watch it every day that they've got a new one.

elheffe
10-16-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm curious how many of you here watch the Daily Show regularly. Four days a week? When you can? How often do you watch?
I usually watch it as much as I can. Which translate into 3 or 4 times a week. As much as I like Conan O'Brien, I like the Daily Show more just because it's so topical.

clayholio
10-16-2005, 01:37 AM
I catch pretty much every episode. There's not a whole lot else that I watch on TV, and especially not at that hour, so yeah.

I'm looking forward to "The Colbert Report," mainly because that means I won't have to change channels at 11:30 every night.

Harry Angel
10-16-2005, 01:40 AM
It drives my wife crazy because she would rather watch Friends reruns, but I try to catch it every night it's new.

Tommy
10-16-2005, 01:47 AM
I watch it Daily. Personally I think it is a lot better than most news shows since tthey call people on the B.S.

Sanagi
10-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Whenever it's new I make the effort to watch it. I hope the Colbert Report is good. He's hilarious on every show I've seen him on(see also Strangers with Candy, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law), I just hope his humor isn't spread too thin by having his own show.

ragnarok_2012
10-16-2005, 08:58 AM
I watch it when I can. Ends up being something like once per week. I'm also a big fan of Stephen Colbert's work on TDS, and I look forward to his new show.

Though his real name isn't Colbert. It's Ted. Ted Hitler. :D

Greg Hatcher
10-16-2005, 09:18 AM
We never miss it. It's set to tape. We do skip the reruns, but our ritual is to rewind the tape from the night before when we get home from work and get caught up during dinner.

Then we watch Jeopardy. Because we are, in addition to being political junkies, enormous nerds.

Dark Galaxy
10-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Every day it's on. It makes me laugh. Gives me hope. Sends me off to dreamland in a good mood. The Daily Show is good stuffs.

Grant
10-16-2005, 01:42 PM
I haven't watched since I canceled cable. I miss it though.

Loren
10-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Colbert seems like a bit of nerd... hmm, CBR interview in the waiting?

Are you referring to the Viggo Mortensen interview with the audio clip of Colbert showing himself to be a LotR fanatic?

I catch the show as often as I can, but my enjoyment of it can vary greatly depending on the segment. All too often they seem to put the humor second, and go for a much more editorial tone.

This is most evident when they show a clip of some recent White House press conference, and then show an older clip of someone (possibly the same person) saying something different. It actually tends to be rather good editorializing, and something that other news editorialists ought to do more often, but it's not terribly *funny*. This was a particular problem during the height of the Valerie Plame hubbub, where the Daily Show devoted a whole darn episode to the topic. The episode made a lot of good points, but outside of a silly Samantha Bee segment, I don't think it made me laugh once.

ragnarok_2012
10-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I was watching tonight's Daily Show. The guest was Bill O'Reilly. I was just wondering who else watched it, and if you thought O'Reilly seemed a bit drunk. I mean, he was practically picking fights with the audience.

foxfire
10-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah it was pretty funny. It was also kind of funny how much O'Reily's derision towards Stewart showed, I think.

GoGo Yubari
10-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Eh, O'Reilly was O'Reilly. It was some funny, funny arguing, though.

ragnarok_2012
10-18-2005, 10:02 PM
The huge round of applause over O'Reilly's announced retirement....priceless.

pennywisdom
10-19-2005, 03:06 AM
It's not the first time O'Reilly has been on Daily Show. His splotchy, bullying visage has disgusted Comedy Central fans several times over.

He has a joking, ongoing rivalry with Jon Stewart based on the fact that Stewart pokes fun at hypocritical, biased, polarizing, money-drunk media whores and Bill O'Reilly is a hypocritical, biased, polarizing, money-drunk media whore. In jesting retaliation, Captain Phone Sex makes jokes about Stewart's audience being a bunch of young, stoned college kids.

PS - The real show was Jon vs. Tucker Carlson.

Michael P
10-19-2005, 05:25 AM
I will be compulsively checking the Daily Show livejournal page for the rest of the day.

Jared
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I didn't see this episode, but I doubt there was really that much to it. Stewart has been on the Factor where O'Riley joked that Daily Show viewers were slack-jawed stoners, and I know O'Riley has already appeared on the Daily Show since then. Hell, I'm pretty sure Stewart himself has made jokes about his audience being stoned before. I wouldn't expect the two of them to hang out after taping, but they're not sworn enemies ala O'Reily and Al Franken, or Stewart and Tucker Carlson.

Grant
10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
It's not the first time O'Reilly has been on Daily Show. His splotchy, bullying visage has disgusted Comedy Central fans several times over.

He has a joking, ongoing rivalry with Jon Stewart based on the fact that Stewart pokes fun at hypocritical, biased, polarizing, money-drunk media whores and Bill O'Reilly is a hypocritical, biased, polarizing, money-drunk media whore. In jesting retaliation, Captain Phone Sex makes jokes about Stewart's audience being a bunch of young, stoned college kids.

PS - The real show was Jon vs. Tucker Carlson.

Did Tucker appear on Daily Show after Stewarts meltdown?

SUPERECWFAN1
10-19-2005, 10:23 AM
I caught some of the friendler moments. O'Rielly joking that theres a French guy thats imitating his show following Daily Show made me laugh. I turned it off because Bill really can't hold his own with a guy who can laugh at himself. Its a different battleground for him I feel than when he's on the "No Spin Zone " of the O'Rielly Factor. ;)

MatthewC
10-19-2005, 10:30 AM
I caught some of the friendler moments. O'Rielly joking that theres a French guy thats imitating his show following Daily Show made me laugh. I turned it off because Bill really can't hold his own with a guy who can laugh at himself. Its a different battleground for him I feel than when he's on the "No Spin Zone " of the O'Rielly Factor. ;)

My favorite bit?

O'Reilly goes after Stewart for making fun of tragedies. "How many people died in Katrina? And you're sitting around asking, how do we make fun of this?"

Stewart then cops to it while at the same time delivering the best smackdown of the show. "It's true. It's true that we do add insult to injury, but you sir... you add injury."

StoneGold
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
The real interesting thing would be to see O'Reilly on the Colbert Report. Since while Stewart makes fun of guys like O'Reilly, Colbert is basically doing O'Reilly's show, but, you know, funny and good and not evil. But he's satirizing the "news show" format perfectly.

Inkthinker
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Did Tucker appear on Daily Show after Stewarts meltdown?

You mean after Stewart melted him down? Poor Tucker Carlson and his polka-dotted bow tie.

ragnarok_2012
10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
I think Stewart lost his temper a bit with Tucker. I wouldn't call it a meltdown, or a clear victory.

Now with O'Reilly last night, Stewart was in control and O'Reilly was out of control. Quite fun.

And I still think that O'Reilly looked like a bit drunk.

Spastic Minnow
10-19-2005, 01:34 PM
In other appearances I've seen O'Reilly was more civil and they could come to more of a middle ground, they tease each other and have decent time with points being made on either side. This time Bill came in mad about the Colbert Report and there was no chance of playing nice. Too bad, I wouldn't have minded hearing O'Reilly's real opinion on it. Instead he sounded absolutely serious when he said he wouldn't even bother watching it because Colbert is "French".

TomGun13
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Remember when the guy was the host on Inside Edition??? Then all of a sudden he's a right wing wingnut.

DDM
10-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Remember when the guy was the host on Inside Edition??? Then all of a sudden he's a right wing wingnut.

That's just due to The O'Reilly Factor is on the successful Fox News Channel. Fox gets more viewers than CNN & MSNBC combined. The resentment will come from everywhere. Even the liberals & Democrats on Fox are turned into "Right Wing nuts" by other people.

sunsetdayglo
10-19-2005, 04:08 PM
That's just due to The O'Reilly Factor is on the successful Fox News Channel. Fox gets more viewers than CNN & MSNBC combined. The resentment will come from everywhere. Even the liberals & Democrats on Fox are turned into "Right Wing nuts" by other people.

Oh, come on. O'reilly IS the Fox News Channnel. And it's successful because it plays to the worst instincts in humanity. Just like a certain President.

If O'Reilly wasn't a hateful bully, Fox would have the ratings of a public access channel.

And what Liberals? Who, Colmes? He was put there to give Hannity a whipping boy and so the channel could make the ridiculous claim that it isn't partisan.

The last thing Fox wants or will air is a charasmatic, interesting liberal host.
Can't blame the reality of what fox is on some "Liberal Smear Machine."

sunsetdayglo
10-19-2005, 04:14 PM
The really sad thing is that Stewart DIDN"T meltdown on O'reilly.
Yeah, he made some intelligent jokes that O'reilly couldn't keep up with, but where was the outrage, the indignation.

I didn't even know who Tucker whatsisname was until I saw the Stewart clip. And here Stewart has the Prince of all Evil himself on the show and he doesn't really show his stones.

Love the Daily Show, I just think a lot of people were looking for a bigger showdown where John Stewart would really show what a monster this guy is than the pattycake play that went down.

Sorry, John. Still a fan, though.
And, yeah, the crack about "you sir... do injure" was great.

DDM
10-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Oh, come on. O'reilly IS the Fox News Channnel. And it's successful because it plays to the worst instincts in humanity. Just like a certain President.

If O'Reilly wasn't a hateful bully, Fox would have the ratings of a public access channel.

And what Liberals? Who, Colmes? He was put there to give Hannity a whipping boy and so the channel could make the ridiculous claim that it isn't partisan.

The last thing Fox wants or will air is a charasmatic, interesting liberal host.
Can't blame the reality of what fox is on some "Liberal Smear Machine."

Fox has as many liberals as they do conservatives. The difference being Fox News actually does show the conservative viewpoint to certain issues; likewise, the news portion covers stories otherwise ignored by the mainstream media. CNN has yet to cover the Oil For Food scandal, yet Fox covers it daily or weekly.

The liberals are Bob Beckel, Tammy Bruce, Martin Frost, Susan Estrich, etc al as their guests.

Also, From O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes, & On The Record are all editorial shows.

CNN has become more liberal since they have continued to shed viewers. It's not a good thing.

But back on O'Reilly: He's not a bully. He simply demands his guests to give relevent examples; he will not tolerate lies or spin on his show. I also like how he puts all of his guests on the spot. They need to be put in their place. CNN & MSNBC won't do it.

sunsetdayglo
10-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Ok DDM, Just found this interesting quote over on the mega politics thread.
Originally posted by the4thpip.

The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz reports on a new study of TV news. U-decide.
Quote:
In covering the Iraq war last year, 73 percent of the stories on Fox News included the opinions of the anchors and journalists reporting them, a new study says.

By contrast, 29 percent of the war reports on MSNBC and 2 percent of those on CNN included the journalists' own views.

These findings -- the figures were similar for coverage of other stories -- "seem to challenge" Fox's slogan of "we report, you decide," says the Project for Excellence in Journalism.

In a 617-page report, the group also found that "Fox is more deeply sourced than its rivals," while CNN is "the least transparent about its sources of the three cable channels, but more likely to present multiple points of view."

The project defines opinion as views that are not attributed to others.

Last March, Fox reporter Todd Connor said that "Iraq has a new interim constitution and is well on its way to democracy."

"Let's pray it works out," said anchor David Asman.

Another time, after hearing that Iraqis helped capture a Saddam Hussein henchman, Asman said: "Boy, that's good news if true, the Iraqis in the lead."

Fox legal editor Stan Goldman challenged Amber Frey's hiring of attorney Gloria Allred, saying: "If you want to keep a low profile, Gloria is not the lawyer to represent you."

In an interview, Fox's executive daytime producer, Jerry Burke, says: "I encourage the anchors to be themselves. I'm certainly not going to step in and censor an anchor on any issue . . . You don't want to look at a cookie-cutter, force-feeding of the same items hour after hour. I think that's part of the success of the channel, not treating our anchors like drones. They're number one, Americans, and number two, human beings, as well as journalists."

CNN spokeswoman Christa Robinson says the study "reaffirms what anyone watching CNN already knows: CNN's reporting is driven by news, not opinion." MSNBC declined to comment.

The project, a Washington-based research group, offers a three-part breakdown of cable journalists voicing their opinions. From 11 a.m. to noon, this happened on 52 percent of the stories on Fox, 50 percent on MSNBC and 2.3 percent on CNN. Among news-oriented evening shows, journalist opinions were voiced on 70 percent of the stories on Fox's "Special Report with Brit Hume," due in part to its regular analysts' panel at the show's end; 9 percent on MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," and 9 percent on CNN's "NewsNight with Aaron Brown."

As for the most popular prime-time shows, nearly every story -- 97 percent -- contained opinion on Fox's "O'Reilly Factor"; 24 percent on MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews"; and 0.9 percent on CNN's "Larry King Live." King devoted nearly half his time to entertainment and lifestyle topics, twice as much as O'Reilly and more than three times as much as Matthews.

The project describes cable news reporting as pretty thin compared to the ABC, NBC and CBS evening newscasts. Only a quarter of the cable stories examined contained two or more identifiable sources, compared with 49 percent of network evening news stories and 81 percent of newspaper front-page stories.

This, says the study, is in part because cable leans heavily on live reports, 60 percent of which are based on only a single identifiable source ("the White House said today," etc.). What's more, cable news is far more one-sided than other media outlets, with only a quarter of the stories involving controversy making more than a passing reference to a second point of view. By contrast, says the report, the network morning shows, PBS and newspaper front pages were more than three times as likely to contain a mix of views.

Cable networks "have gravitated, particularly as Fox has surged in the ratings, toward programs and somewhat less toward reporting," says Tom Rosenstiel, the group's director. He says opinion-laden journalism "probably is part of Fox's identity, but it's not true of all the programs."

As for the tone of Iraq coverage, 38 percent of Fox stories were positive, compared to 20 percent on CNN and 16 percent on MSNBC, the report says. But Fox war stories were about as likely to be neutral (39 percent), and more likely to be neutral at CNN (41 percent) and MSNBC (28 percent).

Despite its 24 hours of available air time, cable isn't exactly bursting with new news. Seven in 10 reports involve recycling of the same subject matter, with only 10 percent adding meaningful updates. "The time required to continuously be on the air seems to take a heavy toll on the nature of the journalism presented," the report says.

On the broadcast front, journalists offered no opinions on 83 percent of the evening news stories, 89 percent of the morning news reports and 97 percent of the pieces on PBS's "NewsHour." The biggest exception: campaign stories, where nightly news correspondents felt comfortable offering horse-race and other opinions 44 percent of the time.

I think that explains my points pretty well.
Thanks the4thpip

more here

Jared
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
I remember Howard Dean was on the Daily show a few months ago, and it seemed to me that Stewart actually got uncomfortable when Dean was saying his show was great for the Democratic party and so forth. Stewart is himself pretty liberal, but I don't think he wants to be treated a partisan weapon.

O'Reily isn't actally as purely right-wing as people who've hardly seen his show tend to think. He often gets name-dropped alongside Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, when he's actually quite divergent from staunch conservatives, and the Republican Party line, on some issues. You won't find Rush actually criticizing the adminsitration about WMD or immigration. I wouldn't call him a moderate, but a conservative indepedent would be more fair. But he should be smart enough to not try to outdo a professional comedian on his own show.

sunsetdayglo
10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
and i do realize that all fox's most popular, prime time shows are editorials,
but what does that tell you about a "24 hour news channel"?

See above

sunsetdayglo
10-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I remember Howard Dean was on the Daily show a few months ago, and it seemed to me that Stewart actually got uncomfortable when Dean was saying his show was great for the Democratic party and so forth. Stewart is himself pretty liberal, but I don't think he wants to be treated a partisan weapon.

O'Reily isn't actally as purely right-wing as people who've hardly seen his show tend to think. He often gets name-dropped alongside Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, when he's actually quite divergent from staunch conservatives, and the Republican Party line, on some issues. You won't find Rush actually criticizing the adminsitration about WMD or immigration. I wouldn't call him a moderate, but a conservative indepedent would be more fair. But he should be smart enough to not try to outdo a professional comedian on his own show.

I agree, he doesn't just carry the party line. But many of the things he disagrees with the GOP over are issues that he's actually further to the right than the current administration.

But basically, on all the key points, he agrees with the neocons.
And on the issues he disagrees with them about, he many times seems to wait until after the issue is relevent to disagree with it. Case in point: WMD's .
Seems like he just uses some of those issues to prop up his own (questionable) authority and to make it seem like he's more nonpartisan than he really is.

ragnarok_2012
10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm tempted to re-read Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. :D

phoenixrising
10-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I thought Jon was pretty kind to the guy. It's nothing like it was when, say, Santorum was on the show.

Cyke
10-20-2005, 12:31 AM

I could be wrong, but doesn't the Daily Show get higher ratings than the O'Reilly Factor?

DDM
10-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I could be wrong, but doesn't the Daily Show get higher ratings than the O'Reilly Factor?

O'Reilly gets a little more than a million viewers daily. Compare to the 300,000-500,000 viewers for CNN & even less viewers for MSNBC. O'Reilly's competition is Paula Zhan & MSNBC.

CNN made a calculated mistake in hiring Paula Zhan, thinking Fox's viewers would follow her to CNN. CNN continues to shed viewers; wheras Fox is gaining more viewers. CNN should be worried since CNN is in more homes by double or triple times than Fox News.

CNN is in an identity crisis; it has been ever since CNN merged with AOL. Although AOL is no longer a part of CNN now, the damage has been done.

DDM
10-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I agree, he doesn't just carry the party line. But many of the things he disagrees with the GOP over are issues that he's actually further to the right than the current administration.

And on the issues he disagrees with them about, he many times seems to wait until after the issue is relevent to disagree with it. Case in point: WMD's .
Seems like he just uses some of those issues to prop up his own (questionable) authority and to make it seem like he's more nonpartisan than he really is.

O'Reilly just comes back to protecting the nation from terrorists. Saddam is a terrorist. The WMD is moot since Saddam has been captured, his sons are dead, & Iraq is building a democracy. Anyone who brings up WMD is living in the past.

Jared
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Fox has as many liberals as they do conservatives.

I'm no liberal, but I know that's absurd. Sure, there are liberal guests, and liberal regulars on the debate shows like Hannity and Colmes or News WAtch, but virtually every anchor/host that has their own show that makes apparenent a viewpoint, has a conservative view. From the morning show to Shepard Smith to Brit Hume.

By your logic, CNN would have to be deemed equall fair and balanced, since they have conservatives on Crossfire and as frequent guests on other shows.

Fox clearly has some editorial mandates that are made by conservatives, such as only referring to suicide bombings in Israel as the redundant "homicide bombings." I haven't seen any other new outlets thats do that, even conservative leaning ones.

DDM, people have a right to consider the WMD issue relevant, *especially* those for whom it was the primary reason they supported going to war. That doesn't mean there's anything it can currently affect in terms of what's going on now, but it's not reasonable to expect that people should just forget that happened. It's something that will have a real impact in the future, any time the government uses intelligence findings to argue the case for military action, it'll be viewed much more skeptically abroad *and* at home. That's a big deal.

Jared
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM

I haven't seen it brought up on his show (I'm not a regular) but on Conan O'brien he said he's against the death penaltyl. I think he advocated punishing SUV makers financially until they make them more fuel efficient, and has called RFK the best attorney general the country has ever had. These aren't things a Limbaugh or Coulter or Sean Hannity would ever say. And does he ever do economics? But yeah, he can be a jerk too. I think that's part of the appeal though, people want to see confrontational TV.

DDM
10-20-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm no liberal, but I know that's absurd. Sure, there are liberal guests, and liberal regulars on the debate shows like Hannity and Colmes or News WAtch, but virtually every anchor/host that has their own show that makes apparenent a viewpoint, has a conservative view. From the morning show to Shepard Smith to Brit Hume.

By your logic, CNN would have to be deemed equall fair and balanced, since they have conservatives on Crossfire and as frequent guests on other shows.

Fox clearly has some editorial mandates that are made by conservatives, such as only referring to suicide bombings in Israel as the redundant "homicide bombings." I haven't seen any other new outlets thats do that, even conservative leaning ones.

I'm afraid you're confusing two issues. Fox reports other stories the mainstream media ignores; this is reporting the news--not editorial. CNN's reporting standpoint is very liberal, one sided. For instance, CNN had a special on poverty not long after the Katrina disaster. Poverty is a liberal's steak platter idea. CNN--like the Democratic Party--is stuck in the 70's with constant comparisons to Vietnam, Watergate of the Iraq War. Today's liberals are really cheerleaders for the terrorists. The reporters cannot wait to report constant gloom & doom of American forces. Most people are fed up with this nonsense. Therefore, the constant shrinkage of the mainstream media's viewers along with the small viewers on CNN & MSNBC.

The only mandate Fox has to cover on their stories is to show both sides of the story. The mainstream media is in a panic because they no longer have a monopoly on the message. Fox News is a crack in this cacophony of sound. It will take much more than one channel to turn the tide. That's why conservative radio is such a big hit, yet liberal Air America is collapsing upon itself. Conservative blogs also helps strangle the mainstream media. The mainstream media is collapsing upon itself by its own denial.

The editorial standpoint is Fox has as many liberals as they do conservatives such as the very liberal Geraldo Rivera & the ambiguous Greta Van Susteran.

CNN's Crossfire became a joke. Furthermore, Crossfire has been cancelled by CNN & replaced by The Situation Room, a revamped Inside Politics. CNN believes they can change the appearance of something, yet the substance has not changed at all.

JohnPopa
10-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Today's liberals are really cheerleaders for the terrorists.

Wow, I had no idea. Had I known that, I might've worn a skirt and sweater more often.

DDM
10-20-2005, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen it brought up on his show (I'm not a regular) but on Conan O'brien he said he's against the death penaltyl. I think he advocated punishing SUV makers financially until they make them more fuel efficient, and has called RFK the best attorney general the country has ever had. These aren't things a Limbaugh or Coulter or Sean Hannity would ever say. And does he ever do economics? But yeah, he can be a jerk too. I think that's part of the appeal though, people want to see confrontational TV.

Barbra Streisand, promoting her latest album, complained that global warming is getting worse. However, after her little tirade, she was driven off into her limo then she took her own personal private jet back home. Streisand has a lot of gall to complain about SUV's & global warming then she uses more fuel from her limos & her private jets. Hypocrisy doesn't sit well with normal folks. That's why most normal people laugh as Babs when she talks serious politics--except for the Democrats looking for a campaign handout for cash.

DennyK
10-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Today's liberals are really cheerleaders for the terrorists.

Now I'm beginning to understand why you always seem to be taking a verbal clubbing.

Cyke
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
O'Reilly gets a little more than a million viewers daily. Compare to the 300,000-500,000 viewers for CNN & even less viewers for MSNBC. O'Reilly's competition is Paula Zhan & MSNBC.

CNN made a calculated mistake in hiring Paula Zhan, thinking Fox's viewers would follow her to CNN. CNN continues to shed viewers; wheras Fox is gaining more viewers. CNN should be worried since CNN is in more homes by double or triple times than Fox News.

CNN is in an identity crisis; it has been ever since CNN merged with AOL. Although AOL is no longer a part of CNN now, the damage has been done.

But I wasn't asking about CNN and MSNBC Vs. O'Reilly. I was asking about the Daily Show Vs. the O'Reilly Factor.

Spastic Minnow
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Everyone, give up, ignore DDM. I learned the last time we had a discussion about O'Reilly and Stewart that he will not stop. Totally brainwashed and stubborn. You can't convince him, insults come back twofold and you become more and more disgusted by the Fox news worship and the accompaning gay porn images.

holy crap, I just figured it out. DDM is actually Jeff Gannon.

JohnPopa
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Ah. Thanks, Minnow.

Ignored and done.

(I seemed to remember a completely illogical and ultimately pointless conversation with him in another thread but wasn't sure if it was the same person. Apparently I was right.)

Grazzt
10-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Everyone, give up, ignore DDM. I learned the last time we had a discussion about O'Reilly and Stewart that he will not stop. Totally brainwashed and stubborn. You can't convince him, insults come back twofold and you become more and more disgusted by the Fox news worship and the accompaning gay porn images.

But the Fox news worship is accompanied by gay porn images, correct? That makes it so worth it in my mind. :D

riotgear
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
In jesting retaliation, Captain Phone Sex makes jokes about Stewart's audience being a bunch of young, stoned college kids.

Which isn't even much of a retaliation, since Stewart has made that joke onair several times, to which, of course, the audience cheers.

Jared
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Barbra Streisand, promoting her latest album, complained that global warming is getting worse. However, after her little tirade, she was driven off into her limo then she took her own personal private jet back home. Streisand has a lot of gall to complain about SUV's & global warming then she uses more fuel from her limos & her private jets. Hypocrisy doesn't sit well with normal folks. That's why most normal people laugh as Babs when she talks serious politics--except for the Democrats looking for a campaign handout for cash.

Umm...what did that have to do with anything?

Jared
10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Which isn't even much of a retaliation, since Stewart has made that joke onair several times, to which, of course, the audience cheers.

Not to mention Comedey Central used to run ads saying "hey you slack-jawed stoners, the latest Daily Show DVD is available now..."

CrossoverManiac
10-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok DDM, Just found this interesting quote over on the mega politics thread.
Originally posted by the4thpip.

The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz reports on a new study of TV news. U-decide.
Quote:
In covering the Iraq war last year, 73 percent of the stories on Fox News included the opinions of the anchors and journalists reporting them, a new study says.

By contrast, 29 percent of the war reports on MSNBC and 2 percent of those on CNN included the journalists' own views.

These findings -- the figures were similar for coverage of other stories -- "seem to challenge" Fox's slogan of "we report, you decide," says the Project for Excellence in Journalism.

Question: did the Project for Excellence in Journalism remember not to count the opinions in the editorial shows since those aren't actual news report?

DDM
10-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Now I'm beginning to understand why you always seem to be taking a verbal clubbing.

The ACLU supports Democrats. The ACLU wants America to withdraw from any war. This is not going to happen. An ACLU America would be a very different place than today. People who openly pray to God would be arrested. Sex would be on every street next to schools. In effect, the ACLU wants to turn America into a totalitarian country a la Joseph Stalin, North Korea, & Cuba. The Democrats continue to lose power in the United States because the Left--liberal socialists--basically has taken control of the fractured party.

Basically, the Democrats want to give terrorists lawyers via the ACLU. And the Democrats wonder why people are rejecting their message. Yes, in effect, giving terrorists lawyers, treating them as American citizens, basically is playing right into the terrorists hands. There's a reason why Lenin coined the term "useful idiots" when he spoke about liberals.

DDM
10-22-2005, 02:12 PM

What does one have to do with the other? Personally attacking someone because I am gay due to my viewpoints is actually distacting from the issue itself. This is a typical liberal method of changing the subject.

It also demonstates the intolercance the Left has by rejecting ideas.

StoneGold
10-22-2005, 02:14 PM
The ACLU supports Democrats.
Goddamn, who knew Rush Limbaugh was a demmycrat.
http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=14698&c=27

DDM
10-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Goddamn, who knew Rush Limbaugh was a demmycrat.
http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=14698&c=27

Citing a few examples when the ACLU supports a Republican does not change the issue. The ACLU is not supporting Limbaugh because he is a Republican. They are supporting him for other reasons.

The ACLU wants to treat terrorists as American citizens, take everything God related out of the country, & legalize live sex acts in every state.

To quote the ACLU's founder:

"I am for socialism, disarmament, & ultimately abolishing the state itself as an instrument of violence & compulsion. I seek social ownership of property, the abolition of the propertied class, & sole control by those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal."--Roger Baldwin

StoneGold
10-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Citing a few examples when the ACLU supports a Republican does not change the issue.
I think it does. They support a democrat, they are inexorably tied in with democrats. They support a republican, well, they happened to support a republican?

Scorpion13
10-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I think it does. They support a democrat, they are inexorably tied in with democrats. They support a republican, well, they happened to support a republican?

Supporting a token republican doesnt prove that theyre politically unaffiliated.

StoneGold
10-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Supporting a token republican doesnt prove that theyre politically unaffiliated.
No, but I could find more than one. He was just the easiest. Truth of the matter is, ACLU defends pretty much anyone and everything that appears to be an underdog, no matter how popular or unpopular that might be. Honestly, bringing them up in a discussion about O'Reilly and Jon Stewart is the thing that makes the least amount of sense, but that's DDM for you. Random blanket statements that don't have much to do with the actual topic.

Spastic Minnow
10-24-2005, 02:21 PM
What does one have to do with the other? Personally attacking someone because I am gay due to my viewpoints is actually distacting from the issue itself. This is a typical liberal method of changing the subject.

It also demonstates the intolercance the Left has by rejecting ideas.

*sigh* I can't believe I'm dignifying you with a response.

Simply, If I didn't mention the gay porn the Jeff Gannon joke wouldn't have worked. Jeff Gannon was a joke connected with a gay escort site. I compared you to him. get it?

Let me tell you about my thoughts about gay people and gay porn. I was a housemate with a gay man for two years. Fantastic guy, good friend. He would use my computer. I had no problem with this but I did create a separate internet profile for him to use, because it rather annoyed me to go through my history page and the dropdown menu and navigating through his gay porn sites. He also wasn't too good with the computer and at one point accidentely (probably the fault of the site) put 20+ identical bookmarks for "FREE GAY PIX!!" on my computer. Funny that, I'm a straight guy who doesn't like gay porn.

I guess you're trying to make a point with your beefcake himbo centerfold pictures. "If you can show half-naked women in your icons I can show half naked men and if it pisses you off too bad." Just like any other of your arguments it's an obnoxious, overstated provocation.

We all try to make make statements with our avatars. Mine is an album cover for my favorite band XTC. The writing may be hard to read but it says "XTC: The Loving." I see yours and I message I get is more like "DDM: The Feltching."

But I guess bringing up my dislike with something other than strictly the topic at hand was out of line (Kudos to your insightful views of O'Reilly's appearance on TDS, BTW :rolleyes: ). So I will reprint my previous message without the joke and final 6 words of the previous paragraph.

Everyone, give up, ignore DDM. I learned the last time we had a discussion about O'Reilly and Stewart that he will not stop. Totally brainwashed and stubborn. You can't convince him, insults come back twofold and you become more and more disgusted by the Fox news worship.

There, all better?

Bored at 3:00AM
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
The ACLU supports Democrats. The ACLU wants America to withdraw from any war. This is not going to happen. An ACLU America would be a very different place than today. People who openly pray to God would be arrested. Sex would be on every street next to schools. In effect, the ACLU wants to turn America into a totalitarian country a la Joseph Stalin, North Korea, & Cuba. The Democrats continue to lose power in the United States because the Left--liberal socialists--basically has taken control of the fractured party.

Basically, the Democrats want to give terrorists lawyers via the ACLU. And the Democrats wonder why people are rejecting their message. Yes, in effect, giving terrorists lawyers, treating them as American citizens, basically is playing right into the terrorists hands. There's a reason why Lenin coined the term "useful idiots" when he spoke about liberals.

This is the most ridiculous post I've read in quite some time. Thanks for the laugh.

Kevinroc
10-26-2005, 04:37 PM
This is the most ridiculous post I've read in quite some time. Thanks for the laugh.

You're talking about DDM here. Just read a few more of his posts and you'll see him claim things that are even more ridiculous.

ragnarok_2012
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
"10 F#@CKING YEARS!!!"

They did a brief retrospective on tonight's show, and I just wanted to wish a happy birthday to one of my favorite shows.

CaptainAwesome
07-17-2006, 08:41 PM
I remember way back when Craig Kilborn was the host and it wasnt funny. Good times.

ragnarok_2012
07-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I remember way back when Craig Kilborn was the host and it wasnt funny. Good times.

I enjoyed Kilborn's version, though it wasn't nearly as good.

And Kilborn's Daily Show had the funniest commericals.

glue
07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Kilborn wasn't as political was he? I remember watching a few of his episodes but all I remember is the 5 Questions segment.

Kevinroc
07-17-2006, 10:29 PM
And Jon's been there for about 7 years now, I think. Wow...

ragnarok_2012
07-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Kilborn wasn't as political was he? I remember watching a few of his episodes but all I remember is the 5 Questions segment.

No, Kilborn wasn't political at all. I remember all of two jokes he made. In one he commented on Mariah Carey's relationship with a pro baseball player who was half-black, half-irish by saying that meant that he was "too drunk to get high." In another, Kilborn said something like: "I won't be on this show forever. And after I move on, I want the person...or woman....who becomes the new host to always remember that this was the network that South Park built."

But Kilborn had the best commercials.

ragnarok_2012
07-17-2006, 11:37 PM
What's really weird is that Colbert wasn't political at all before Jon took over the show (I've listened to a great little NPR interview with him on several occasions).

Colbert's background was in improv (Second City) and comedy writing (SNL briefly, Dana Carvey Show), and he loathed most political humor he saw in the 90's. Stewart was the one that got him interested in politics, and Colbert discovered that he did actually have a political point of view.

So Stewart is the real Papa Bear :D

Alex
07-18-2006, 03:30 AM
who was half-black, half-irish by saying that meant that he was "too drunk to get high."
HA! Nice one.

J. Robb
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread to ask if anyone saw Jon's interview with Chris Matthews last night. It was hilarious, Jon really didn't like Matthews' book and told him so. Matthews called it his "worst interview ever".

It's so rare to see the host disagree with the guest like that, so it's fun to watch. It also happened recently where Jon was downright angry at the guy who wrote the Dick Cheney biography. Well, more like venting his anger at Cheney on the guy.

Anyways, not as much discussion about The Daily Show these days, but I think it's still a great show.

Magneto X
10-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Anyone see the thing on the Hillary cackle?

StoneGold
10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread to ask if anyone saw Jon's interview with Chris Matthews last night. It was hilarious, Jon really didn't like Matthews' book and told him so. Matthews called it his "worst interview ever".

It's so rare to see the host disagree with the guest like that, so it's fun to watch. It also happened recently where Jon was downright angry at the guy who wrote the Dick Cheney biography. Well, more like venting his anger at Cheney on the guy.

Anyways, not as much discussion about The Daily Show these days, but I think it's still a great show.

I'm pretty sure Matthews was in on the bashing, at least on some level. He was too gracious not to have been. Really, if he wasn't, Jon was kind of being a douchebag. In that he had Matthews on to promote his book, not debate it against witty jokes.

rick
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Matthews was in on the bashing, at least on some level. He was too gracious not to have been. Really, if he wasn't, Jon was kind of being a douchebag. In that he had Matthews on to promote his book, not debate it against witty jokes.

Anyone who goes onto the Daily Show and doesn't expect to need to defend themselves against witty jokes and sarcasm has obviously never watched the Daily Show.

Chase
10-03-2007, 06:58 PM
And it also depends on the guest. The more legit scholars get a more 'serious' approach by Jonnykins, while people who he can joke with, including Matthews, get more jokes. It seems like most of the guests, seem to be in the know about the jokes, like Dennis Leary was.

SUPERECWFAN1
10-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I watch when I can. Its about 2 days a week at most. I love watching Colbert when I can as well. I'll always enjoy the episodes where Ted Stevens compared the internet to a series of tubes....and all. Or when he went ape shit when Congress voted down drilling in Alaska (costing Ted millions from special interest Oil Companies who wanted to drill there) due to ruining the eco-system of the lush beautiful land.

"I-I'm gonna go to, all your nieghbors ...and tell them what you did !": Ted Steven pissed off as he loses millions....

StoneGold
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Anyone who goes onto the Daily Show and doesn't expect to need to defend themselves against witty jokes and sarcasm has obviously never watched the Daily Show.

But Jon rarely goes on the attack like that. And usually when he does, he goes all quiet for a little bit. He rarely, if ever, does it with the gusto of last night.

J. Robb
10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I'd say Matthews was "in on it" to the extent that Jon knew he could go a little farther with him. Matthews is a fellow TV host and somewhat frequent guest.

But honestly, I think Jon just really didn't like the book, and it was as much Matthews challenging him (saying things like there must be something in the book that "scares" Jon) as Jon attacking. And his reply "fascism scares me" was gold.

ultramandingo
10-11-2007, 08:31 PM
..........holy crap !!!!!!!! dick cheneys 13 inch darth vader doll !!!!! - im pretty sure when the apcolypse goes down , that thing will be involved - evil! ......along with cheneys hitler mustash clipings collection

Jared
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
No, Kilborn wasn't political at all. I remember all of two jokes he made. In one he commented on Mariah Carey's relationship with a pro baseball player who was half-black, half-irish by saying that meant that he was "too drunk to get high." In another, Kilborn said something like: "I won't be on this show forever. And after I move on, I want the person...or woman....who becomes the new host to always remember that this was the network that South Park built."

But Kilborn had the best commercials.

I remember both those jokes as among his best. I also liked how he'd introduce
himself differently each day. "Hello, my name is Craig, and the night... is my bitch."

I think that Irish/Black joke was referring to Derek Jeter.

Five Questions could make any interview at least a little interesting, whereas sometimes there's nothing Steward can do with boring guest, and sometimes he doesn't even try, instead going for an almost straight news interview.

If Stewart's comedic talent could be combined with the lack of self-seriousness that the show had in Kilborn's era (and still had somewhat before 9/11) the Daily Show today would probably be the funniest show on television. Now, it's not even the funniest show in Comedy Central, though it still has flashes of brilliance.

mgs
10-12-2007, 02:14 PM
I, check it out, almost every new episode night (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) if it's not a rerun, but only if it seems to be funny, otherwise, I'll tune out once it's not (usually when the Bee or Riggle bits are on).

Strange_Fish
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Anyone see the interview with Lynn Cheney? I half expected a blurb about it on MSNBC or Yahoo. Pretty awkward stuff.

davids
10-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Less political [or perhaps simply more fair] and a lot funnier. and no damn interviews. Those old shows any were on dvd?

Cyke
10-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Anyone see the interview with Lynn Cheney? I half expected a blurb about it on MSNBC or Yahoo. Pretty awkward stuff.

Awkward from Stewart, but not from Cheney, I think. While he's usually gung-ho about interviews with people he doesn't agree with, Cheney seemed to be in another class, I think. It's a double-edged sword:

1. The amount of respect (and fear) he had in the interview sort of shows how at times he's cooperative and civil with conservatives that he respects.

Yet:

2. If he were to interview someone like Dick Cheney, would he be ripped to shreds instead of standing up for the rest of the country?

Athena Bast
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Awkward from Stewart, but not from Cheney, I think. While he's usually gung-ho about interviews with people he doesn't agree with, Cheney seemed to be in another class, I think. It's a double-edged sword:

1. The amount of respect (and fear) he had in the interview sort of shows how at times he's cooperative and civil with conservatives that he respects.

Yet:

2. If he were to interview someone like Dick Cheney, would he be ripped to shreds instead of standing up for the rest of the country?

She also gave him a Darth Vader/Cheney model.

Athena Bast
10-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I, check it out, almost every new episode night (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) if it's not a rerun, but only if it seems to be funny, otherwise, I'll tune out once it's not (usually when the Bee or Riggle bits are on).

I really like the English fella. Dude has no fear. Even after breaking his nose, I think, on a Revolutionary War reinactment story.

Cyke
10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
She also gave him a Darth Vader/Cheney model.

HaH! I'm not a fan of the Cheneys by any means (including Mary), but the Vader doll was most certainly a great move on Lynn's part.

StoneGold
10-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Jon has a tendency to be a bit awkward around people with real power, or in this case, connected to people with real power. Watch his Clinton interviews to see what I mean. Although there, it's more because it seems like Jon wants to hump the man's leg. But the same thing happened with the Bolivian president. Although his interview with Vicente Fox was more entertaining, but I think that's more to do with Fox himself being a lively figure, and Stewart not really knowing enough/caring about ticking off the ex-Mexican prez.

J. Robb
10-13-2007, 11:32 AM
I think Jon (like most people) has a lot of issues with Dick Cheney, and would be very hard on him. The problem with the Lynne Cheney interview was, it wasn't Dick. It was a seemingly nice lady who just laughed off every comment about Dick.

I'm sure there's a lot of questions Jon would have liked to ask her, but it would have been like interrogating your Mom.

Cyke
10-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm sure there's a lot of questions Jon would have liked to ask her, but it would have been like interrogating your Mom.

That's a good point and an excellent analogy. I think *I* was squiriming in my couch a little bit, too.

Spike-X
10-15-2007, 02:27 PM
I just watched the one from September 20, with Bill Clinton. I was a bit disappointed that Jon avoided the obvious opener:

"Don't you think it's somewhat ironic that your latest book is called 'Giving', when you spent most of your time in the Oval Office...uh...receiving?"