PDA

View Full Version : Batman 222 cover (Paul McCartney is Dead)

Sharcque
07-25-2005, 01:07 AM
I just saw this cover.....

http://images.comicbookresources.com/oddball/batman222.jpg

I knew there's always been a big conspiracy theory about whether or not Paul McCartney died back in 1969, but I never knew about this comic. Has anyone read it?

InfoBroker
07-25-2005, 05:12 AM
I have very minor memories of the plot, but yes indeed I did read it right when it came out. And given DC's long production lead times, this comic managed to come out fairly swiftly, leaving me to wonder if they didn't juggle the printed order in order to squeeze it in, in a timely fashion.

S P O I L E R - W A R N I N G S ! ! !
Unlike the Beatles conspiracy, the group lead for this band actually and purposefully planted clues that he was dead and replaced by a doppleganger. He did it to as a subterfuge, because he did replace the other three members of the band, who all died in a car crash.

Comical bookwise, I much prefered the fan piece written by Roy Thomas that uses clues left in various Sheild and Captain America Steranko comics to prove a conspiracy. Trina Robbins had a hand it as well, anyway she is the one who states "Jim Steranko is Dead, and I Can Prove It!"

Two of the major clues I can remember:

1) Jim was the only artist to place Captain America's shield on his right arm (his drawing arm).

2) All the dead actors likenesses he used for minor characters in SHEILD #5.

There were a lot more examples. Proceed to Alter-Ego #2 from 1969-70 for more details.

-jb the "Walrus was Paul" ib - :cool:

T GUy
07-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Whoa there, Nellie!

Adams has drawn the wrong one with his back to us on that LP cover, surely? I'm assuming that it was Paul who died (or not) in the Bats story (it's been a few decades since I read it, shortly after acquiring it as a back issue circa 1976).

InfoBroker
07-25-2005, 05:48 AM
Um...

No he hasn't. It's the Paul-based character with his back turned. He doesn't have the orange squiggle pattern on his yellow jacket, maybe that is what confuses you. But the other three, faces and costumes are the same on cover and in the gravesite.

Read my spoiler for who did or didn't die.

-jb the "I buried Paul" ib- :cool:

Dan B. in the Underworld
07-25-2005, 02:01 PM
could've *sworn* i glanced through this story recently within the last month, possibly in a collection at a bookstore, but the gcd doesn't show any reprints. apparently, i'm losing my mind. crap.

Mike Kuypers
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Scott Shaw! did an Oddball column on it, but not recently.

T GUy
07-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Well, it looks to me that the characters on the cover 'in real life' are coming towards us in traditional Beatles line-up order: John, Paul, George and Ringo (Ringo's even carrying a drum).

Conveniently, they're wearing exactly the same clothes on the LP cover, which'd make the LP cover line-up, left-to-right, George, bloke with back to us, Paul, Ringo. Note also that none of the faces we can see on the LP cover has glasses on it, unlike that of the lead Beatle in 'life.' (In later years, John's glasses became a trademark of his, like Elvis' quiff or Suzi Quatro's trousers).

And I've just noticed something else: That's the John lookalike who has no shoes on - unlike the cover of Abbey Road.

T GUy
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Comical bookwise, I much prefered the fan piece written by Roy Thomas that uses clues left in various Sheild and Captain America Steranko comics to prove a conspiracy. Trina Robbins had a hand it as well, anyway she is the one who states "Jim Steranko is Dead, and I Can Prove It!" - JB the IB

Strangely, google reports about 161, 000 references to 'Paul McCartney death conspiracy' - and 80, 600 for 'Jim Steranko death conspiracy' (none of which gives us this story in full, judging by about half an hour I spent this lunchtime looking).

Incidentally, if I recall correctly, this comic was the first time I'd come across the Macca conspiracy theory.

InfoBroker
07-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Well, it looks to me that the characters on the cover 'in real life' are coming towards us in traditional Beatles line-up order: John, Paul, George and Ringo (Ringo's even carrying a drum).

Due to obvious reasons, there was effort to slightly adjust the likenesses. It's not the Beatles, I forget the name of the group in the comic.

I read it as the Paul look-alike wearing John-like glasses. After that John look- alike(brown hair) then George and Ringo. Thus all the clothes align cover-to gravesite, with the exception of orange squiggles.

Which also thus aligns the barefoot death clue to the Paul-like character.

re: "Steranko is Dead and I Can Prove It!" AlterEgo article.

Wasn't a conspiracy really, just a tongue in cheek article making fun of the silly "Paul is Dead" rumors. I can post a spoiler for the end bit if you want, but I don't remember too many of the remaining clues.

re: Macca Conspiracy

Not familar with this one. I will have to do a google and see how many hits I get for it.

-jb the conspiratorial ib :cool:

Sharcque
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Is the Macca Conspiracy the same thing as the Paul is Dead conspiracy?

Anyway, I spent about 2 hours last night reading about all of the things that point to Paul being dead and replaced in 1969....some spooky stuff.

T GUy
07-26-2005, 05:45 AM
Due to obvious reasons, there was effort to slightly adjust the likenesses.

Very slightly, judging by the cover. It's been a long time since I looked inside that issue (i. e. over 25 years).

It's not the Beatles, I forget the name of the group in the comic.

Me too.

I read it as the Paul look-alike wearing John-like glasses. After that John look- alikeAha. You're reading the (semi-)lookalikes differently from me. I can see why you'd think the second member of the group is John, but to me the first looks more like John than the second (and the second looks more like Macca than the first does). What it actually looks like to me is two John lookalikes, one with glasses and one with a bit of Macca thrown in.

Sharcque:
Is the Macca Conspiracy the same thing as the Paul is Dead conspiracy?
It is indeed. I'd forgotten that Sir Paul McCartney is not referred to as Macca in certain territories. Google finds 254, 000 references to 'Macca' on the wibbly-wobbly web, not all of which are to the Mid-Atlantic Career Counselling Association (hmmm... makes me think of the Nations of the Atlantic Testament Order), for example the Yahoo! group Macca-L.

MWGallaher
07-26-2005, 06:20 AM
And here's Scott!'s column. Get the lowdown as only he can dish it! (http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/oddball/index.cgi?date=2002-09-16)
Scott Shaw! did an Oddball column on it, but not recently.

Cei-U!
07-26-2005, 08:05 AM
This reminds me of the absurd story in Teen Titans #46 where the amazing solution to the mystery was that Paul and Linda McCartney and Richard and Karen Carpenter were the same people!

Cei-U!
I summon the eww!

T GUy
07-26-2005, 12:03 PM
the absurd story in Teen Titans #46 is, sadly, too late to be Bob Haney and Nick Cardy even if it's the original series. Think what groovesome wonders they could have performed, cool cats!

While I'm posting, it'd appear that Macca-L is a mailing list but not a Yahoo! group; I was confused by the status of Kirby-L.

hondobrode
07-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I am positive this has been reprinted as I have read it somewhere in my collection and do not have that awesome Adams Beatle cover.

C.O. Jones
07-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Why did they leave without the lantern, which they're gonna surely need to find their way back out?! Or is it a clue to rest in peace, Lantern?! (GL!) :D

Anyway, this one's a classic for sure! Take a peeky peek:

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=fullsize&issue=82854655732%20130

Rob Imes
07-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Last week I bought a Carpenters videotape (for a buck) at a garage sale, and I couldn't help but think of "The Woodworkers" (I think that was their name) in that Teen Titans comic.

I don't have the Batman issue, but I do have the issue shortly afterward which has a letters-page with reader-reaction to the issue.

I DO happen to have the 1969 LIFE Magazine issue with the "Paul Is Still With Us" cover story. (I mean "cover story" as in the story that was cover-featured. Not "cover story" as in thinking Paul really was dead and they were lying about it!)

If you want to listen to a 1969 radio broadcast about the "Paul is Dead" rumors, go to
http://www.79waky.com/audio/WAKYIsPaulDeadSpecial.mp3

nadjadee
05-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah! :) I finally got to read the Batman & Robin Beatles Issue. OR should I say, "Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So I know that I'm a year behind this post..but

I took a few notes:

Beatles = The Twists, the four orphans, Mad Mods
Paul McCartney = Saul Cartwright
John Lennon = Glennan
Hal & Benji = George and Ringo
Pink submarine = Yellow submarine
London town = Lunnon town
India with the Marharishi = Himalayas
Wings = Phoenix

Pretty funny stuff. :p I loved how they used the term, "tripping the light fantastic." That was a Paul live concert album title, but I think that album came out after this Batman & Robin issue, so Im curious. Did Paul take the title from the comic book?

Then there was a really gay part where Robin refers to Batman as "What a cutie." A cutie? How super gay is that? See, the bigger mystery is not, "Is Paul/Saul dead" but "Are Batman and Robin lovers?":eek:

Thanks...that was FAB!

Yours gaily,
Nadja Dee:cool:
Seattle
http://www.nadjadee.com

scratchie
05-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Overall, let me just say that this is one of the cooler threads I've seen in recent days. I've definitely never seen this cover before, and I'm a huge Beatles fan (and "Paul is Dead" aficionado).

If you want to listen to a 1969 radio broadcast about the "Paul is Dead" rumors, go to
http://www.79waky.com/audio/WAKYIsPaulDeadSpecial.mp3
Thanks!

Paul and Linda McCartney and Richard and Karen Carpenter were the same people!Ew!

Aaron Kashtan
05-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Welcome to CBR, Nadja.

Cei-U!
05-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Ew!

Tell me about it. That's bad enough but the same story also gives us the Fiddler's Fiddlecopter, a drone whirlybird armed with machine guns that fire... wait for it... razor-sharp violin bows.

Cei-U!
I summon the camp-era comeback!

DarthAstuart
05-26-2006, 09:27 AM
there's a really fun book about the Paul is Dead conspiracy that I'd recommend. it's by R. Gary Patterson...about $10 on Amazon.Com. a neat read.

i'm a big beatles fan too and had never seen that cover! now I must own at least a low-end copy to hang somewhere in my home as pop art...

"...you were in a car crash
and you lost your hair..."

ghost_hounds
05-30-2006, 09:27 PM
As a fan of Bats AND The Beatles, I'm ashamed that I'd never seen this. That is...awesome.

Jonathan Bogart
05-30-2006, 11:55 PM
I loved how they used the term, "tripping the light fantastic." That was a Paul live concert album title, but I think that album came out after this Batman & Robin issue, so Im curious. Did Paul take the title from the comic book?
It's a very common phrase, usually used in a mock-twee manner to refer to someone dancing.

Shellhead
06-13-2006, 09:03 AM
I vaguely remember the Paul is Dead speculation from a long time ago. I remember that one of the supposed signs was that Paul was the only barefoot Beatle on the cover of the Abbey Roads album. Many years later, Bill Willingham paid tribute to that on the cover of Elementals #9, only this time Fathom was the one who was barefoot.

The Confessor
08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Elvis Presley's custom-made coffin weighed 900 pounds. Funeral attendants reported that the air around it was unusually cool, leading to suspicion of a built-in AC unit to keep a wax body (i.e. replica of Elvis' corpse) cool;http://sunrent.de/smileynormal.ico

Oh, lordy. :rolleyes:

Drusilla lives!
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Oh, lordy. :rolleyes:

Wha???

Let me tell ya... I happened to hear yesterday that John Lennon's old commode sold at auction for over $15,000 recently... now that's unbelievable! :eek:

So hearing someone state (with matter-of-fact conviction) that Elvis had an air-conditioned casket isn't as nutty as I'd once would have thought. :tongue:

The Confessor
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Wha???

Let me tell ya... I happened to hear yesterday that John Lennon's old commode sold at auction for over $15,000 recently... now that's unbelievable! :eek:

So hearing someone state (with matter-of-fact conviction) that Elvis had an air-conditioned casket isn't as nutty as I'd once would have thought. :tongue:

Well, really it was the "fact" that the coffin was air conditioned to preserve a wax dummy of Elvis, while the real Elvis made his daring escape that I was rolling my eyes at. Not that it was air conditioned per se. :smile:

Drusilla lives!
08-31-2010, 07:12 PM
Well, really it was the "fact" that the coffin was air conditioned to preserve a wax dummy of Elvis, while the real Elvis made his daring escape that I was rolling my eyes at. Not that it was air conditioned per se. :smile:

I see your point. :smile:

Um... 900 pounds just for the coffin alone... makes you think though doesn't it?

I wonder if a full size wax dummy replica might weigh more than the actual body. :tongue:

John Asperger
09-01-2010, 10:48 AM
It's a very common phrase, usually used in a mock-twee manner to refer to someone dancing.

...Probably best known , especially if you happen to come from the New York City metropolitan area:biggrin::wink::eek: , for its use in a turn-of-the-Twentieth-Century pop song called " The Sidewalks Of New York " .