Ravage 2099 (by Stan Lee)

Reptisaurus!
06-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Self Portrait
Metal Machine Music
Three or Four Shades of Blue

Dennis
06-26-2005, 11:17 AM
jackie brown is the most boring movie ever.
prince's work since sign o the times.
michael jackson and the accuser.
tom cruise and his last few interviews.

Spackling Compound
06-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Good post, Gail.

I said a while back in reviewing David Hockney's artwork that he reserves the right to paint badly. I meant that he has a solid foundation and skills as well as knowledge (philospohical and practical) of Art so he can every once in a while do something poorly...because he can.

Just a few things I think that were poorly done and done not intentionally bad but bad because they are Bad are...

Skinny Legs and All novel by Tom Robbins (up until then zen-brilliant)

Have I Told You Lately That I Love You song by Van Morrison (this is the guy who gave us "Astral Weeks" and "Moondance"?)

Both novels by Neil Gaiman (has all the quirky, mystical characters but both have hapless heroes who seem to be devoid of emotion when it comes to human relationships with the opposite sex).

And, for the record, the Beatles reserve the right to be bad. Some of their songs were recorded as experiments as part of a whole (back in the day when artists made albums instead of "singles" for sale). I'm not a Beatles fan at all but there are brilliant songs and then there are songs like "Me and My Monkey"....

and...umm...I like American Dad.

Noah Johnson
06-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Spider-Man 2. David Koepp's normally a good writer, but... weeping Jesus, that sucked.

I'm just going to blame the studio and assume that Koepp's script was terrific before it got rewritten.

TCJohnson
06-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I thought Spiderman 2 was the best super hero movies so far.

Jeff Brady
06-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Both novels by Neil Gaiman

He's written more than two.

Spackling Compound
06-26-2005, 12:08 PM
He's written more than two.

Two was bad enough!

Actually, I've read (painfully) "Neverwhere" and "American Gods". There is another one that is a collaboration with Terry Prachett (sp). I never read that. I gave up by that time.

the4thpip
06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Aretha Franklin singing "Nessum Dorma."

the4thpip
06-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Stevie Wonder: I just called to say I love you

Woody Allen: Curse of the Jade Scorpion

Adam Crocker
06-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Anything recorded by David Bowie in the 80s except for Scary Monsters (and the Super Creeps) which came out in '80 before he decided to sell out.

Ditto for Neil Young with the exception of Freedom in '89.

I haven't heard any of Dylan's stuff in the 80s yet except for some relatively half-decent cuts from Infidels, but I heard it sure was poopy.

ducklord
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
At the risk of descending into snark:

Kubrick: Eyes Wide Shut.

Jagger and Bowie: Dancin' in the Streets

Jackson and McCartney: Say Say Say

Wonder and McCartney: Ebony and Ivory

The Beatles: I Want You (She's So Heavy) (a.k.a. "The Less Interesting Side of Abbey Road")

Mike.

ducklord
06-26-2005, 01:51 PM
And hey, I *like* Ob-la-di-ob-la-da.

But I also think its savaging by the Offspring is hi-larious.

Mike.

Gaz
06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
AMERICAN DAD

OB-LA-DEE-OB-LA-DA

TEAM AMERICA

What else?
Thank GOD! All my friends think Team America is the funniest movie of all time. I bought it, giggled at the Michael Bay song and the theme, and that was it. As opposed to SP:BLU which I still double over at.
American Dad? What is this show? I heard Seth McFarlane had an idea called that but surely he would create a work of comic genius, so you must mean something else that actually got made... ;)

Gaz
06-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Two was bad enough!

Actually, I've read (painfully) "Neverwhere" and "American Gods". There is another one that is a collaboration with Terry Prachett (sp). I never read that. I gave up by that time.
There's also his kids' book, Coraline.
And Good Omens is good, dragged down by Pratchett's "zaniness".
And near as I can tell, you dislike his novels, because the heroes act like Morpheus does around women. :confused:

Jared H.
06-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld on the latest X-Force mini.

Alan Moore on WildCATS.

Warren Ellis on Ultraforce.

TCJohnson
06-26-2005, 02:39 PM
As much as I love Neverwhere and American Gods, Good Omens was the best book Neil Gaiman wrote and that is because of Pratchett.

For novels, Colour of Magic and Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett.

And as much as I love Mark Waid's writing, I loathe Superman: Birthright.

Spackling Compound
06-26-2005, 02:44 PM
And near as I can tell, you dislike his novels, because the heroes act like Morpheus does around women. :confused:

A kids book doesn't count as a novel and the collaboration is not "his" per se.

And there are several things I dislike about his novels (both).
The one major complaint is both novels have a male character who is seperated from his wife/girlfriend and then makes out on some strange rollicking adventure without expressing what I would consider to be "credible" grief or remorse at the loss of a loved one.

In Neverwhere (or whatever) the hero is broken up with his fiancee but then in his adventures underground, very little is expressed of his loss. Worse, in American Gods, the hero's wife dies while he is incarcerated and he even misses her funeral to go on a roadtrip. Odd because the wife was his glimmer of hope while he was imprisoned.

Not sure if Gaiman doesn't write human relationships as well as he does myth or not but I venture to say his relationships with Morpheus and women (even cat-headed goddesses) are more poignant than those in the novels.

matterconsumer
06-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Curse of the Jade Scorpion --- Allen has been on a downward spiral...

Hulk/Thing Hard Knocks --- Bad doesn't begin to describe this...

Hiss...So many bad thoughts...

Dizzy D
06-26-2005, 04:36 PM

Don't forget Stardust, it came out in novel form and in illustrated book form.
(I wanted to add Smoke&Mirrors, but it is a collection of stories, none of them long enough to count as a novel.)

Tastes differ, I loved Good Omens, Neverwhere and American Gods.

Pepsigirl
06-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Weezer's latest album. I'm barely a Weezer fan, but that's easily one of the worst albums of the year so far.

Cam63
06-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Aretha Franklin singing "Nessum Dorma."

Oh, yeah. I accidently caught Reth's rendition and wished Pavarotti had fallen on her from a great height.

Another was Patty La Belle's rendition of the Yank National Anthem. Someone should've claw punched her in the throat.

Hated Kubrick's " Eyes Wide Shut " and John Ford's " My Darling Clementine. "

As for " Team America, World Police ", I know it should've been better, but there was some parts I really liked. The Michael Bay send up song was pretty damn good and at times I find myself humming " AMERICA ! FUCK, YEAH ! "

Red Berens
06-26-2005, 10:06 PM
ok, I'm probably going to catch alot of hell for this, but................Marshal Rogers' work on Batman Dark Detective. Back in the 80's, his work was so hot, but now, eh.

Jeff Brady
06-26-2005, 10:16 PM
ok, I'm probably going to catch alot of hell for this, but................Marshal Rogers' work on Batman Dark Detective. Back in the 80's, his work was so hot, but now, eh.

Not from me, you're not. It seems so flat. Every face looks the same. And the story isn't good, either.

EZMOHR
06-27-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm going to say...and don't hit me... Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men. Maybe it's just the work of Cassady (I don't like his work..sorry.), but I just don't get what everybody sees in this series. It's just not for me. I like my X-Men over exaggerated and conviluted. I like my X-Men stuck in the gluttony of the 80's and 90's. Make mine Marvel...with Lee, Silvestiri, Mauderira, Lobdell, and Claremont doing the stuff. And Mr. Whedon....your better than Astonishing. Way better.

the4thpip
06-27-2005, 01:05 AM
The Carpenters: Yesterday Once More.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
06-27-2005, 08:04 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins album, Adore. There are a few goods songs on there, but the rest are just too tepid.

DK2. It reads like Batman & Robin written by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

The Village. All that tension and menace, evaporated in an instant.

Lunar Daydreamer
06-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Spider-Man 2. David Koepp's normally a good writer, but... weeping Jesus, that sucked.

I'm just going to blame the studio and assume that Koepp's script was terrific before it got rewritten.

I wasn't aware Koepp had much to do with the sequel (which is probably why it's good). Did you read the abominable version of Spider-Man he wrote, before Scott Rosenburg did his best to salvage it ... terrible.

Tad Sivana
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Double-whammy: Elvis Costello and Burt Bachrach made a terrible album together...but they've both done great work in the past.
They can't all be winners and as Robert Bloch said, 99% of everything is shite!

MWGallaher
06-27-2005, 04:09 PM
From some of my favorite film directors:
Planet of the Apes by Tim Burton
Dune by David Lynch

From some of my favorite comic book creators:
New Gods written by Mark Evanier
Judgment Day written by Alan Moore (maybe 'terrible' isn't the best word for that, to be honest; insulting, immoral, larsenous, might be better ones).

From some of my favorite musicians:
"You're the One" by Kate Bush
"Piece of My Heart" by Bryan Ferry
most of the album "All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" by Pete Townshend

Cam63
06-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Tim Burton's " Planet of the Apes " is on my all time crappy list of badly made sequels/remakes.

You'd almost forget he was a friggin' genius if you went by that fetid dung heap.

Cam63
06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
The Carpenters: Yesterday Once More.

You get some good taste points for slagging the Carpenters at the very least.

Suzanne
06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes is one of my favorite bands, but their "Tormato" album is my least favorite. There are only two, maybe three songs that I really like; the rest are better off as background music.

Calamas
06-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Two was bad enough!

I'm split here. I loved American Gods but I could not get past the first chapter of Neverwhere. I was enjoying Good Omens, but I lost the book somewhere. I have to abstain because I never finished it.

the4thpip
06-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Double-whammy: Elvis Costello and Burt Bachrach made a terrible album together...but they've both done great work in the past.

That was my favorite album that year. Pure genius, and a return to greatness for Bacharach after a lot of so-so 80s and 90s stuff. "God Give Me Strength" is one of the most intensely beautiful songs ever written.

Tad Sivana
06-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Aaaaaaaahhhhrrrrggghhh!

Adam Crocker
06-28-2005, 04:59 PM
And hey, I *like* Ob-la-di-ob-la-da.

As do I. It's a enjoyable light pop song. I don't see what's so bad about it.

MacQuarrie
06-28-2005, 06:44 PM
A kids book doesn't count as a novel....
Sez who?

Many of the greatest novels in history are also "kid's books."

Wizard of Oz, Narnia, Through the Looking Glass, Peter Pan, Treasure Island....

Michael Chabon's "Summerland" is one of the best novels I've read in quite some time, and it's classified as a "kid's book."

Spackling Compound
06-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Sez who?

Many of the greatest novels in history are also "kid's books."

Wizard of Oz, Narnia, Through the Looking Glass, Peter Pan, Treasure Island....

Michael Chabon's "Summerland" is one of the best novels I've read in quite some time, and it's classified as a "kid's book."
Don't think Coraline would count as a "novel" by definition.

"Where the Wild Things Are" is good too but it's not a novel.

The ones you cited are novels however.

the4thpip
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Here is something that is so bad that it's good.

Phylicia Rashad. Claire Huxtable. Debbie Allen's sister. Member of the original cast of Dream Girls (understudy for the lead role, Dina)

Disco Queen.

Homage to Josephine Baker.

It has a disco version of "J'ai Deux Amours" which is every bit as bad as it sounds.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/the4thpip/image_827921-2.jpg

Michael P
04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
AMERICAN DAD

This is not by a great creator.

OB-LA-DEE-OB-LA-DA

This is not a terrible work.

Grazzt
04-17-2009, 04:46 PM
They can't all be winners and as Robert Bloch said, 99% of everything is shite!

That was Sturgeon, I think. And only 90%.

CutterMike
04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
"The Conqueror" -- John Wayne as Genghis Khan

Grazzt
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
"The Conqueror" -- John Wayne as Genghis Khan

Given that it might have killed him, it makes it doubly bad.

Libaax
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM

The opening post made me smile.

The only good thing about the creators of Family Guy,American Dad is that he/they are so un-original,stupid american comedy that it proves how amazing Groening and co was with The Simpsons for so many years.

Black Atom
04-17-2009, 05:18 PM
michael jackson and the accuser.
tom cruise and his last few interviews.

Jackie Brown is Tarantino's most enjoyable movie where I'm concerned.

Tobias March
04-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Two was bad enough!

Good Omens is great fun, I've easily re-read it at least three times (granted while I was still in school, but anyhow).

I was disappointed by American Gods. I have a nostalgic fondness for Neverwhere due to the television series. Might borrow his latest book, but Gaiman has never been a 'must read' for me.

Tobias March
04-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Jackie Brown is Tarantino's most enjoyable movie where I'm concerned.

Seconded. I love the scene between Pam Grier and Robert Forster when they talk about growing old. And record collecting.

KevinTBrown
04-17-2009, 07:03 PM
AMERICAN DAD

OB-LA-DEE-OB-LA-DA

TEAM AMERICA

What else?

Gail, I luv ya, BUT if you're going to diss it.... spell it right. :wink:

It's Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

And it ain't terrible. It's a fun song. :smile:

Chris Hansbrough
04-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm going to say...and don't hit me... Joss Whedon on Astonishing X-Men. Maybe it's just the work of Cassady (I don't like his work..sorry.), but I just don't get what everybody sees in this series. It's just not for me. I like my X-Men over exaggerated and conviluted. I like my X-Men stuck in the gluttony of the 80's and 90's. Make mine Marvel...with Lee, Silvestiri, Mauderira, Lobdell, and Claremont doing the stuff. And Mr. Whedon....your better than Astonishing. Way better.

thank you. I hated that story. the princess briding of colossus cheesed me off to no end then the way he wrote off kitty was just stupid as hell....along with the rest of the story. I would take it further though. I would say Joss Whedon on comics.

CaptainCanada
04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
It continues to amaze me how badly Chris Claremont damaged (and continues to damage) his incredible reputation since he came back to the X-Men books in 2000. Had he just stayed away, he would have gone down as unquestionably the greatest creator in the franchise's history; he still is, but now you have to attach a bunch of caveats about his later work.

Fargo; bor-ing.

4PointOh
04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Here is something that is so bad that it's good.

Phylicia Rashad. Claire Huxtable. Debbie Allen's sister. Member of the original cast of Dream Girls (understudy for the lead role, Dina)

Disco Queen.

Homage to Josephine Baker.

It has a disco version of "J'ai Deux Amours" which is every bit as bad as it sounds.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll102/the4thpip/image_827921-2.jpg

She looks absolutely deranged on that album cover.

rick
04-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Killraven by Alan Davis.

Beautifully drawn and yet so totally missing the point of what the character is.

Just one of the most awful mini-series ever.

Tobias March
04-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Killraven by Alan Davis.

Beautifully drawn and yet so totally missing the point of what the character is.

Just one of the most awful mini-series ever.

Yes that was a disaster. I read a pitch from Warren Ellis some years ago before the Alan Davis series which impressed, but who knows how that might have gone.

SUPERECWFAN1
04-17-2009, 08:41 PM

I agree on the 2nd one .

The opening post made me smile.

The only good thing about the creators of Family Guy,American Dad is that he/they are so un-original,stupid american comedy that it proves how amazing Groening and co was with The Simpsons for so many years.

I think what makes me laugh is some feel that Family Guy is supposed to be a kind of lesson like The Simpsons. That its supposed to at the end make you think just like The Simpsons and Southpark does.

But at the end its goofy , stupied fun and well.....I take that goofy ,silly fun over what the Simpsons have been doing for years. Talk about a show thats really ran outta things to do.

RachelEvil
04-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Fabian Nicieza and Rob Liefeld on the latest X-Force mini.

Did you just seriously refer to Liefeld as "great"?

Arrogantcur
04-17-2009, 11:35 PM
AMERICAN DAD

OB-LA-DEE-OB-LA-DA

TEAM AMERICA

What else?

I gather that you like Seth MacFarlane's other work from this, and I'm sort of surprised because I think that most people would consider recent episodes of American Dad to be superior to recent Family Guy eps, but your mileage may vary, of course.

Right now it's only speculation, but I'm betting that the spinoff featuring Cleveland will not be very good. It might hit its stride after a shaky season or two, but I'm having trouble imagining it being all that entertaining to start with.

Claremont's already been mentioned so I won't beat a dead horse by going over what he's done this decade...

I'm surprised Baseketball hasn't been mentioned, though. Parker and Stone should just stick to South Park.

I realize this wasn't his fault, but One More Day by J. Michael Straczynski. His other work, I liked. I disliked this story not only because it broke up Peter and MJ but because of the ridiculous way it broke them up. The latter bears repeating: Mephisto offers to solve all of Peter's problems and when asked what he wants in return he declares dramatically "I want your MARRIAGE." If this had been happening to a character I had no strong feelings about, I would have laughed my ass off at that scene and that line. :rolleyes:

I'll also go ahead and say pretty much everything George Lucas did after the original Star Wars trilogy and the first three Indy movies. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but God knows I can't think of any.

Okay, we're talking "terrible" here and that's not a word I use lightly, so let me walk you through my reactions to Def Leppard's catalogue chronologically, since I bought all of these albums. On Through the Night, High 'n' Dry, Pyromania, and Hysteria are all awesome. The first two releases arguably rock harder in places than Pyromania, in fact. Adrenalize was okay, but leaned too far towards pop for my liking and there's at least one ballad too many. Retro Active is a collection of unreleased material that kicks ass and is the album Adrenalize should have been. Slang was a step in the wrong direction but had some decent tracks. Euphoria was a step back in the right direction and is very good IMO, even if it doesn't approach the level of awesome as the first four releases or Retro Active....but then Def Leppard released X. I was so underwhelmed by that album that I forced myself to listen to it once and never listened to it again. I believe that might qualify as "terrible." :frown:

bringthenoise
04-18-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm surprised Baseketball hasn't been mentioned, though. Parker and Stone should just stick to South Park.

Parker and Stone didn't write or direct that though. They only acted. It was directed by David Zucker and written by Zucker, Robert LoCash, Lewis Friedman and Jeff Wright.

Also, I quite like it.

Aspield
04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Tevin Campbell. Alas, Tevin Campbell. The potential and the promise of the I'm Ready album obliterated in dull music following up (outside of the Dandelion song).

Janet Jackson after Velvet Rope.

Ang Lee's Hulk.

Whilce Portacio's run on X-Force.

Warren Ellis on Astonishing (no offense, folks).

Chris Claremont on X-treme X-Men.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
04-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Bloody Mary by Garth Ennis (particularly the second miniseries).

Countdown by Paul Dini.

"Youth Against Fascism," by Sonic Youth.

Arkaengel
04-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Different strokes, I guess - I thought it was the last watchable thing Tarantino did.

I'll agree with that.

I'll nominate: everything Bob Dylan recorded in the 1980s; everything Iggy Pop's recorded this century; and Leonard Cohen's Death Of A Ladies' Man album - though I think we can blame Phil Spector for that one.

jesse_custer
04-20-2009, 07:59 AM
First of all, Jackie Brown is a brilliant film.

Second, check out Alan Moore's Voodoo miniseries. Absolutely idiotic ... I don't know what happened.

Arkaengel
04-20-2009, 08:08 AM
For novels, Colour of Magic and Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett.
I agree that these two are the weakest of Pratchett's works, but "terrible"? Only by contrast with his better work, surely - Terry Goodkind would be happy to have written "The Colour of Magic".

LewisH
04-20-2009, 08:20 AM
committed to something for financial reasons when they don't have
a good idea. Most of the terrible stuff I've seen or read has been a sequel.
Godfather 3, Ghostbusters 2, Star Wars: Phantom Menace. A lot of the stuff
on this thread people are calling terrible is stuff I really like. I've enjoyed all of Gaiman's novels and all of Pratchett's novels. With Pratchett you can really see him grow as a writer. The early Discworld novels are inferior to the later ones but when they first came out, there was nothing like them on the stands and they were amazing by comparison.

Some of the stuff that's been mentioned, I'm not familiar with. When Gail listed Team America, for example, I wondered why she was listing a really old Marvel comic about motorcycle stunt riders.

4PointOh
04-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Eyes Wide Shut.

jesse_custer
04-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Nicole Kidman was the only terrible thing in Eyes Wide Shut.

The cinematography, music, and dark humor--I think some people overlook that Eyes Wide Shut is often intentionally comedic--worked quite well and were up to Kubrick's usual standards.

It's not as great as The Killing, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, etc., but I would watch it over, say, Lolita.

Infra-Man
04-20-2009, 09:43 AM
I love Don DeLillo, but I thought Americana (his first novel) was pretty crappy. Just not as well realized as his later books, which figures for a first novel.

Terry Gilliam's one of my favorite filmmakers, but he's had a pair of stinkburgers lately: The Brothers Grimm (the most watered-down cocktail in Gilliam's filmography) and Tideland (his worst movie, imo, despite its uncompromising ballsiness--can't even say anything about the cinematography since the DVD isn't even in the right aspect ratio). Hope Doctor Parnassus turns out okay.

John Carpenter's The Ghosts of Mars is basically Assault on Precinct Thirteen but crap.

Dario Argento's Phantom of the Opera was a complete and total waste of time and money. Surprisingly bad.

I just can't get through Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers. I just don't feel it at all.

I love Matthew Sweet, but Living Things is a weak album whereas the quickly recorded Kimi Ga Suki (which came out before Living Things and was originally intended as a Japan-only release) was his best since 100% Fun.

CannonFodder
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Finding Nemo

Yeah, I'm in the minority, but this movie bored me to tears. There are only a handful of movies I haven't been able to finish, and this is one of them. I'm normally a HUGE Pixar fan (every director of a superhero movie should watch The Incredibles 100 times) but just couldn't get into this one.

scout1279
04-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I would have said the reverse. I thought she was the best thing about that movie.

T Hedge Coke
04-20-2009, 10:14 AM
I think I actually enjoy everything listed in this thread so far. I may not love unabashedly everything namechecked so far, but I don't find them terrible.

4PointOh
04-20-2009, 10:17 AM

The cinematography, music, and dark humor--I think some people overlook that Eyes Wide Shut is often intentionally comedic--worked quite well and were up to Kubrick's usual standards.

It's not as great as The Killing, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, etc., but I would watch it over, say, Lolita.

Then why can't I get through it without falling asleep? I love all of his other films.

jesse_custer
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
I fell asleep three times trying to watch 2001, but it's also a groundbreaking and outstanding movie.

scout1279
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I fell asleep three times trying to watch 2001, but it's also a groundbreaking and outstanding movie.
I still have not made it through 2001 one without falling asleep, and it has been at least 5 tries. I blame the music.

the4thpip
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
She looks absolutely deranged on that album cover.

Well, she was married to the only straight member of the Village People at the time, and they're doing the backing vocals on this album.

EdContradictory
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
No Line On The Horizon by U2

Darrell D.
04-20-2009, 02:18 PM

I appreciate Jackie Brown..but it was somewhat of a disappointment for me.
But I'm probably too attached to the source material, as Rum Punch is one of my favorite Elmore Leonard books.

Black Atom
04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Jackie Brown to me seems like Tarantino's only real grown-up movie .

thehod
04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/Mystery%20Play%201.jpg

I usually love anything that Grant does, but this was hard work.

Paul McEnery
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Second, check out Alan Moore's Voodoo miniseries. Absolutely idiotic ... I don't know what happened.

Uh, bad guy being raised from the dead assisted by naughty god; good gods recruit superhero to help out.

This is difficult?

Paul McEnery
04-20-2009, 03:12 PM

In this you would be mistaken.

Not least because overlooking how useless Cruise is in the movie, and overlooking how crap the sexual excess is in the movie, takes a substantial effort.

Also, anyone defending this Top 5 Bad Film should read Terry Southern's Blue Movie -- they they'll know what Kubrick was up to.

Paul McEnery
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Terry Gilliam's one of my favorite filmmakers, but he's had a pair of stinkburgers lately: The Brothers Grimm (the most watered-down cocktail in Gilliam's filmography) and Tideland (his worst movie, imo, despite its uncompromising ballsiness--can't even say anything about the cinematography since the DVD isn't even in the right aspect ratio). Hope Doctor Parnassus turns out okay.

Brothers Grimm was a fine movie for the airplane. Tideland wasn't even uncompromisingly ballsy -- everything in it was painfully obvious and hackneyed.

J
ohn Carpenter's The Ghosts of Mars is basically Assault on Precinct Thirteen but crap.

Pam Grier Pam Grier Pam Grier!

And I think it's more Escape From New York, but with a train.

Chris Hansbrough
04-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Brothers Grimm was a fine movie for the airplane. Tideland wasn't even uncompromisingly ballsy -- everything in it was painfully obvious and hackneyed.

J

and on mars. with Ice Fucking Cube Baby. that movie was the shit. and by that I mean it really was shit.

spidervenom
04-20-2009, 03:29 PM
I hardly doubt countdown was paul dini's fault. To paraphrase yahtzee croshaw, A turd is a turd, even if you put diamonds in it.

Chris Hansbrough
04-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I hardly doubt countdown was paul dini's fault. To paraphrase yahtzee croshaw, A turd is a turd, even if you put diamonds in it.

I do lay some on him. but I blame more on the lack of togetherness of the creative team. It sounded like guys got plot from the dini and wrote the issues while 52 was far more of a team effort with everything having been done in concert with everyone else. Seemed one way works far better than the other.

4PointOh
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I do lay some on him. but I blame more on the lack of togetherness of the creative team. It sounded like guys got plot from the dini and wrote the issues while 52 was far more of a team effort with everything having been done in concert with everyone else. Seemed one way works far better than the other.

Or like Mindy said to Mandy on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy:

"Putting makeup on you is like putting diamonds on doo-doo."

Chris Hansbrough
04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Or like Mindy said to Mandy on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy:

"Putting makeup on you is like putting diamonds on doo-doo."

Are you saing I look like poo? I can assure you sir that that is not the case. I am offended and demand an apology at once!

Bob Violence
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/Mystery%20Play%201.jpg

I usually love anything that Grant does, but this was hard work.

Worse than 'The Filth'? Impossible, I say!

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
04-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I just can't get through Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers. I just don't feel it at all.

I heard that one a while back on the band's MySpace. I remember liking a couple of cuts from it, but the rest is all a blur now.

Infra-Man
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM

What weirds me out about Tideland is it apparently has its diehards. To each their own.

True, true, true about Grier, but even Coffy herself couldn't salvage the movie--same way she couldn't salvage The Vindicator (wasted role in that), though I do have a soft spot in my heart for that junky Canadian proto-Robocop flick.

Tobias March
04-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Worse than 'The Filth'? Impossible, I say!

The Filth had the Numbskulls all grown up from the British Dandy (or was it the Beano?)

Therefore the Filth is awesome.

:wink:

BrianWave
04-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me
This is what happens when an industrial metal genius perpetually drinks absinthe, and attempts to create an LP of gothic ballads.

Jefferson Starship - We Built This City
Fleetwood Mac - anything from the last album
80's shit-pop musical abortion

The Boogeyman from Raimi's Ghost House
So much potential killed by an ambivalent ending with laughably poor CGI

bringthenoise
04-21-2009, 03:50 AM
The Filth had the Numbskulls all grown up from the British Dandy (or was it the Beano?)

I believe it was The Dandy.

Tobias March
04-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me
This is what happens when an industrial metal genius perpetually drinks absinthe, and attempts to create an LP of gothic ballads.

It's what happens when Trent Reznor isn't producing your tracks for you :smile:

DavidAllred
04-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Beck's Midnight Vultures
Coen Brothers' (and Tom Hanks) Lady Killers

Gothos
04-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Uh, bad guy being raised from the dead assisted by naughty god; good gods recruit superhero to help out.

This is difficult?

I for one didn't find it difficult; just boring.

jesse_custer
04-21-2009, 06:26 AM

This is difficult?

You know what I mean, Pauly.

In this you would be mistaken.

Not least because overlooking how useless Cruise is in the movie, and overlooking how crap the sexual excess is in the movie, takes a substantial effort.

Also, anyone defending this Top 5 Bad Film should read Terry Southern's Blue Movie -- they they'll know what Kubrick was up to.

I'll read the book, but Top 5 Bad Film? No, just no. Then again, I wouldn't call it anything more than a flawed but interesting picture, simply worth a watch for the music, cinematography, and humor. It's not something close to my heart that I really want to defend--I just don't find it terrible like The Stupids, Shall We Dance?, and Dragonball Evolution (sorry to break it to you [it was hard for me to accept], but Chow Yun-Fat can't make any movie worth watching).

Libaax
04-21-2009, 06:33 AM
Tarantino - Kill vol 2
Joss Whedon - Astonishing X-men
George Lucas - the newer Star Wars films
Michael Jackson - Invincible
Warren Ellis - Strange Kiss

Arkaengel
04-21-2009, 08:29 AM
It's what happens when Trent Reznor isn't producing your tracks for you :smile:
Oh, curse you for getting there before I did.

BrianWave
04-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh, curse you for getting there before I did.

Well, to be fair, Holy Wood had a few good tracks (Disposable Teens, The Fight Song), Golden Age was rather solid throughout, and IMHO Mechanical Animals was brilliant... none of which Reznor had anything to do with. But, like I said, Mr. Warner has been on an absinthe binge for about three years now, and it's seriously fudging with his mind. In interviews, he no longer comes off as intelligent or well read, but spacey and distracted.... hence: gothic balladry. I'm really hoping that getting Geordie back, and the addition of Wes Borland, will knock the cock rock back into his system.