PDA

View Full Version : Favorite single Avengers issue ever?

Emerald Ghost
05-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Based on story and/or artwork, what is the best single issue of Avengers you have ever read?

YOU MAY PICK ONLY ONE ISSUE.

marvelboi77
05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
New Avengers #4.... Spider-Woman woohoo.

Mister Mets
05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
For me.. Avengers Volume 2 #22.

The end of Ultron Unlimited. In addition to the best art of George Perez's career, I simply loved how Ultron was beaten.

Siddon
05-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Avengers 176

Korvac kicks the Avengers and Guardians collective asses.

cosmicspidey
05-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Having just rea dit, I'd say Avengers Forever #11. Anytime you get one of those splash pages with "every Avenger...ever!" is great to me. Especially when it involves alternate timeline Avengers, and a cool shot of a one-armed Rick Jones wearing a strangely familiar utility belt and red cape with a yellow emblem... Oh, and Busiek's writing doesn't hurt.

thik_3rd
05-12-2005, 09:06 PM
avengers 229

The Shadow
05-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Avengers #93. Double size with Neal Adams art. Just too sweet!

David O Burcham
05-12-2005, 10:20 PM
The greatest Avengers roster EVER with the greatest Avengers artist EVER ...

http://www.thecomicshop.com.au/site5/lot087/avengers-200-nm-marvel.jpg

Red State Cap
05-12-2005, 11:28 PM
#162-Ultron

RSC

Hombre
05-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Mine is issue 161, July 1977: Beware the Ant Man! by Shooter/Perez/ Marcos.

A cataclysmic defeat, spectacular rubble... the Avengers series reaching its full emotional and artistic potential.

A special mention to an offbeat little gem: Avengers #178: The Martyr Perplex! by Gerber/Infantino/Nebres. An incredibly moody Beast story that is one of the countless examples of how being "edgy" didn't need a banner and was integral to just about any Marvel mag, once upon a time.

Reptisaurus!
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
I dunno if this technically counts...

But West Coast Avengers Annual two, with Hawkeye vs. the Grandmaster, and EVERYONE vs. the Unliving Legion.

Grimly Fiendish
05-13-2005, 04:37 AM
79 - vs. the Lethal Legion (Chock full of villains. Plus I picked up a VF/NM copy of it for $5!)

Dr. Hfuhruhurr
05-13-2005, 08:14 AM
If forced to narrow to one, I'd say Avengers 156 is my favorite issue. It's the tail end of the Attuma-Doc Doom war, Wonder Man is starting to get his head together after returning from the dead in 151, appearances by the GA Whizzer and Namor, and one of the all-time great scenes between the good Doctor and the Vision.

olympichero62
05-13-2005, 08:32 AM
My personal favorite is Avengers Volume 4, New Avengers #4. I think it is one of the funnest stories to read. I love the roster, I only wish it had more women. (I.E. She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel, but they are quitters so, eh)

DDM
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Avengers Annual #10

First appearance of Rogue
First Madelyne Pryor (as a child)
Ms. Marvel loses her powers & psyche to Rogue
The second appearance of the second Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Claremont untangles the Carol Danvers Avengers #197-200 story
Spider-Woman I plays a dominant role in the whole story
Michael Golden art

BoosterBronze
05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Avengers (vol 2?) #50 or roundabouts that. The climactic fight between Giant Hologram Kang and Giant Hologram Captain America, climx to the Kang Invasion storyline they'd been doing for like, 2 years. AWESOMENESS personified as a comic.

thik_3rd
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
213, 229 (Really just the whole downfall of Pym story altogether)

*hi-fives*

Kirk G
05-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Avengers #93. Double size with Neal Adams art. Just too sweet!
Man, that was a cool time... but to tell you the truth, I liked just a few issues later, as the Avengers whiped the Kree saucer then shook their fists at the heavens and cap cried, "We're coming, do you hear? We're coming for you!"
I think it might have been Avengers #95 or 96 at the last pannel.
But, you're right, the 93 double sized "Three cows shot me down" really did a number on everything that came before!

estee
05-13-2005, 07:46 PM
Avengers #200, Perez art..

Kirk G
05-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Avengers 176

I love that cover, with Dr. Don Blake trying to save everyone with CPR.
Come to think of it, wasn't that Hawkeye that he was working on? Hmmmm? :rolleyes:

Siddon
05-14-2005, 09:29 AM
I love that cover, with Dr. Don Blake trying to save everyone with CPR.
Come to think of it, wasn't that Hawkeye that he was working on? Hmmmm? :rolleyes:

That's 177(a great issue) but 176 shows Korvac

Smarty Jones
05-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Avengers 166 -- Count Nefaria takes on a classic Avengers team that features the likes of Iron Man, Wonder Man, The Vision and Thor. I would include Avenger 165 as the build-up point, including Thor's dramatic entrance into the fight.

icctrombone
05-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Avengers annual #2 . New avengers vs. the original Avengers. Probably the greatest cover of all .

Frank
05-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Wonder Man vs Vision `Nuff Said

comic_lover
05-16-2005, 02:27 AM

http://www.thecomicshop.com.au/site5/lot087/avengers-200-nm-marvel.jpg You took the words right out of my mouth. ;) :D

Brian R
05-16-2005, 02:33 AM

I would agree about the roster... except... is that Jocasta?? :D

Ivan Isaacs
05-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Mockingbirds lets Night Rider fall to his death.

mrc1214
09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Ive been wanting to do this for a while. Whats your favorite single issue of the Avengers. Not a run but just one issue. It could be part of a run but just the issue that stuck out or you liked the most. Ill start mine is Avengers Annual 10.

Indigo Al
09-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Annual 10 is a classic for sure, but my choice is vol. 1, number 214.

"Three Angels Fallen" throws in Ghost Rider, the Angel and Hank Pym. It was full of that overwrought Marvel angst which made quite an impression on me back then. How can you beat Johnny Blaze's bitterness about Warren "tooling around in a custom Dino Ferrari with a hot bonde"?

Additionally, we get to see the Avengers in small town Texas, Tigra buying a trashy cowgirl outfit and then being utterly frightened by the Ghost Rider. I forgot what the Hank Pym moments amounted to in that issue, but they too reveled in "bitter loser" pathos.

Good stuff! I know people generally roll their eyes at comic book angst, but this issue (and subsequent ones) piled it on thickly and unapologetically -- and so I was a captive reader. Good!

http://www.mycomicshop.com/megastore/viewitem?itemID=50778&itemType=B

Magneto Rocks
09-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Avengers (V3) #20... or #19.... thereabouts
The final battle with Ultron in 'Ultron Unlimited'. Featured kickassery, awesomeness, and the immortal line "Ultron... we would have words with thee."

Wonder Dude
09-22-2006, 11:03 AM
I'll throw this in because it started in Avengers.

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2: Death of Adam Warlock featuring The Avengers, Thing, & Spiderman.

Will.S
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I recently had the pleasure of finally being able to read Avengers Annual #10 through the Marvel Legends Ms. Marvel figure that came with the very same comic.

It was a great read so I'll say Avengers Annual #10 was awesome.

Reptisaurus!
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Avengers (1st) # 52. The Grim Reaper debuts, kicks the crap out of the Avengers, and the Black Panther in his first day on the job has to come in and save them. Dark, moody art from John Buscema and a consistently suspensful story.

Kirk G
09-22-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't know, that one shot Avengers #52 Grim Reaper story seemed to formula for me. The accused Black Panther seemed to escape way too easily and the ploy of dropping the sycthe onto the inert bodies to revive them was just a bit pat for me. Still, it marked the beginning of my Avengers collection and I read every issue since then through 101 or so... so I can't complain too much.

bloodyarts
09-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Avengers Annual #10

Michael Golden art
First appearance of Rogue
First Madelyne Pryor (as a child)
Ms. Marvel loses her powers & psyche to Rogue
The second appearance of the second Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
Claremont untangles the Carol Danvers Avengers #197-200 story
Spider-Woman I plays a dominant role in the whole story

Fixed. Now we're... golden. ;)

Also, Avengers #194 featured the second best Avengers artwork in the history of the series (1st being Ann10). Perez pencils and inks... a thing of sheer beauty. Plus, it was just a great "day in the life" story. Hey, I love me some John Buscema (RIP, big guy), but Perez FINALLY managed to edge you out, if only for one issue!

Dusty.
02-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Avengers #262

agrich
02-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I'll throw this in because it started in Avengers.

Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2: Death of Adam Warlock featuring The Avengers, Thing, & Spiderman.

I'll go with the place it started (and where Warlock actually died) -

Avengers Annual 7.

When Warlock finds a lobotomized Pip the Troll ... man that was scary stuff.

Chris N
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Avengers annual 7, for me as well. Though this is a really tough call.

Dark Ben
02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
The first I read still my favorite AVengers v1 59 Yellowjacket's first appearance
Buscema artist Roy Thomas writer it had all supsense fight and Yellowjacket ^^ but it's strange because I can't stand the 60 -_-'

Mitchel
02-10-2007, 02:10 PM
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/05815547774.165.gif

Count Nefaria as a big ionic Superman trashing everybody left and right, going one on one with Wonder Man at the end and using him as a living boulder against Captain America, and in the last page Thor's entrance.
Love a well done, well thought out superheroe brawl and this was an awesome one with fantastic John Byrne & Pablo Marcos artwork.

Mariah
02-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Count Nefaria as a big ionic Superman trashing everybody left and right, going one on one with Wonder Man at the end and using him as a living boulder against Captain America, and in the last page Thor's entrance.
Love a well done, well thought out superheroe brawl and this was an awesome one with fantastic John Byrne & Pablo Marcos artwork.
I really need to get that story. Which issues did it run through?

Anyway, my favorite pick would have to be the issue with the new Yellowjacket. I LOVED that character. Too bad what happened to her, I'd love to see her back in the MU.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/05815547774.264.gif

Mitchel
02-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I really need to get that story. Which issues did it run through?

Anyway, my favorite pick would have to be the issue with the new Yellowjacket. I LOVED that character. Too bad what happened to her, I'd love to see her back in the MU.

Avengers volume 1, issues 164, 165, 166. Get the Avengers DVD Mariah, money well spent.

tkitna
02-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I always liked the court martial of Henry Pym.

http://www.plexico.net/avengers/covers/avg213.jpg

Babylon23
02-13-2007, 12:11 AM
There's a lot of great issues here, but my favourite has to be Avengers vol. 1 #277. This is the final issue of Under Siege, culminating in the battle between Cap and Zemo. Stern, Buscema and Palmer at the finest, capping of their best story.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/05815547774.277.gif

This issue really captured the emotion of the Cap/Zemo conflict, and concludes with the truly moving scene of Cap sorting through the destroyed items from his footlocker.

DMike
02-13-2007, 06:24 AM

You mean the issue where Marcus Immortus "convinces" Ms. Marvel to leave the world and live in isolation with him, a man she had just met and given birth to mere hours before, while her friends and teammates look on and wish her well as she leaves?

Mitchel
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
You mean the issue where Marcus Immortus "convinces" Ms. Marvel to leave the world and live in isolation with him, a man she had just met and given birth to mere hours before, while her friends and teammates look on and wish her well as she leaves?

I can agree that that issue has perhaps the best avengers lineup ever, plus a bunch of great character moments with the spotless Michelinie characterization and awesome Perez art but that ending left me cold. Here is Michelinie explaining from an old interview from my website:

Mitchel:What was the idea behind writing Ms. Marvel off the series? Later on Chris Claremont took the character into the X-Men and she became an X-Men supporting character until Kurt Busiek brought her back as an Avenger once more. Was your story a way to return her to Chris Claremont, who had written her regular series before?

David Michelinie: It's true that that story originally had a completely different ending, one suggested by Bob Layton. I believe it involved an alien race (The Kree?) which had reached the limits of its evolutionary possibilities. By generating an alien/human hybrid (impregnating Carol with an alien seed), a new evolutionary path could be created and the dead end could have been circumvented. However, after that storyline had been set up and AVENGERS #200 plotted, a story came out in another title which almost exactly duplicated the story we had scheduled for AVENGERS #200. So a last minute alternative was hammered together (hence the plot credit for four different people on that issue) and was hastily drawn and scripted to meet extremely tight deadlines.
I don't remember why we sent Carol Danvers off with Marcus, and out of the Avengers, but I assume it was something that was put together in that marathon plot session.

brundlefly
02-13-2007, 11:57 AM
There's a lot of great issues here, but my favourite has to be Avengers vol. 1 #277. This is the final issue of Under Siege, culminating in the battle between Cap and Zemo. Stern, Buscema and Palmer at the finest, capping of their best story.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/05815547774.277.gif

This issue really captured the emotion of the Cap/Zemo conflict, and concludes with the truly moving scene of Cap sorting through the destroyed items from his footlocker.

D'oh! Beat me to the punch. I should have posted this last night when I first saw this thread title, but I put it off til later today so that I could look up the issue number and cover. Totally agree; "Under Siege" was my fave Avengers storyarc and #277 was a fantastic battle royal conclusion between the Avengers and Zemo's Masters.

Although I liked the cover for the preceding issue better:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6448/avengers276ds8.jpg

"They're not called The Avengers for nothing!"

CaptainCanada
02-13-2007, 01:03 PM
One of my favourites is the second Annual of Volume 3, centred on Jarvis and his life during the period when the Avengers are gone in the "Heroes Reborn" world. It's a great portrayal of the Avengers' most consistent supporting character; it also explains why the Avengers dissolved completely after the loss of only a handful of its members (even if they were the powerhouses).

Nevets F
02-13-2007, 01:28 PM
This issue is part of what a lot of people didn't like, which was:

1. The 90's
2. Lack of the big three (Thor was on it, but it was Eric)
3. The jackets

But I LOVED it. This was my first issue of the Avengers, and although I had no idea who the "Gatherers" were, or most of the Avengers for that matter, (Sersi, Crystal, Black Widow, Black Knight, Vision, Hercules, and Thor), I still fell in love with the Avengers because of this issue.

Besides those above, it also introduced also lead me to learning of the Inhumans and the Eternals (because of Crystal, Marilla, and Sersi), and the Acolytes as well, with the first appearance of Scanner (though she was referred to as Screener). It also had the Watcher show up at their dinner party, but not as a guest, as a omen of bad times to come. That was really cool to me as a new comic reader.

It had a great story focusing on the characters, and them being together as a team for six months at that point.

It had great art by Steve Epting too, who I have been a fan of since.

This issue made me care for the Avengers, so for those reasons, it is my favorite issue ever.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/05815547774.357.GIF

icctrombone
02-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Loved the 2 parter.

http://www.plexico.net/avengers/covers/avg056.jpg

MatthewDiCarlo
02-15-2007, 06:04 AM

1. The 90's
3. The jackets

But I LOVED it. This was my first issue of the Avengers, and although I had no idea who the "Gatherers" were, or most of the Avengers for that matter, (Sersi, Crystal, Black Widow, Black Knight, Vision, Hercules, and Thor), I still fell in love with the Avengers because of this issue.

Besides those above, it also introduced also lead me to learning of the Inhumans and the Eternals (because of Crystal, Marilla, and Sersi), and the Acolytes as well, with the first appearance of Scanner (though she was referred to as Screener). It also had the Watcher show up at their dinner party, but not as a guest, as a omen of bad times to come. That was really cool to me as a new comic reader.

It had a great story focusing on the characters, and them being together as a team for six months at that point.

This issue made me care for the Avengers, so for those reasons, it is my favorite issue ever.

I have such a soft spot for the Harras run. I know it's not particularly good but man.. what a ballsy team. At one point he was just running it with Sersi, Black Knight, Herc, Crystal, and Vision..

come on. That's ballsy.

Not sure what my favorite Avengers issue/arc is off the top of my head but I know my favorite West Coast Avengers arc is 76-79... the Night Shift/Satannish one.

The M.E.
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM

1. The 90's
3. The jackets

awesome! that cover made me remember why i loved that issue AND that entire roster.

Dark Ben
02-17-2007, 08:09 PM
This arc was the first time I really get into the avengers and begun to collect them I found the jackets terrific even if it was a x-spoof and the roster was quiet intresting and let lot of subplots ^^

Babylon23
02-17-2007, 11:40 PM
D'oh! Beat me to the punch. I should have posted this last night when I first saw this thread title, but I put it off til later today so that I could look up the issue number and cover. Totally agree; "Under Siege" was my fave Avengers storyarc and #277 was a fantastic battle royal conclusion between the Avengers and Zemo's Masters.

Although I liked the cover for the preceding issue better:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6448/avengers276ds8.jpg

"They're not called The Avengers for nothing!"

That's definitely an awesome cover. I love Buscema's Thor.

Under Siege is definitely my favourite Avengers story. Other than 277, I also love the Wasp/Ant vs. Absorbing Man/Titania battle from 275.

Frank
02-18-2007, 01:33 AM
I can agree that that issue has perhaps the best avengers lineup ever, plus a bunch of great character moments with the spotless Michelinie characterization and awesome Perez art but that ending left me cold. Here is Michelinie explaining from an old interview from my website:

Mitchel:What was the idea behind writing Ms. Marvel off the series? Later on Chris Claremont took the character into the X-Men and she became an X-Men supporting character until Kurt Busiek brought her back as an Avenger once more. Was your story a way to return her to Chris Claremont, who had written her regular series before?

David Michelinie: It's true that that story originally had a completely different ending, one suggested by Bob Layton. I believe it involved an alien race (The Kree?) which had reached the limits of its evolutionary possibilities. By generating an alien/human hybrid (impregnating Carol with an alien seed), a new evolutionary path could be created and the dead end could have been circumvented. However, after that storyline had been set up and AVENGERS #200 plotted, a story came out in another title which almost exactly duplicated the story we had scheduled for AVENGERS #200. So a last minute alternative was hammered together (hence the plot credit for four different people on that issue) and was hastily drawn and scripted to meet extremely tight deadlines.
I don't remember why we sent Carol Danvers off with Marcus, and out of the Avengers, but I assume it was something that was put together in that marathon plot session.

You know that baby could be great set-up for the creation of a new Captain Marvel. The Krees could be after that baby for good reason. And since Marcus was the father their could be some time-travelling elements thrown in the mix...

Mystique25
02-18-2007, 05:54 AM
New Avengers #23, my favorite Avengers issue ever. Plus it was a great spotlight on one of my favorite characters ever, Spider-Woman.

jcp011c
02-19-2007, 06:54 AM
Avengers V. 3 #22. the end of the Ultron Unlimited Saga. Not only an emotionally gripping issue, it has one of the best one line quotes I've read.

gravling
02-19-2007, 08:01 AM

1. The 90's
3. The jackets

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/05815547774.357.GIF

the 90's was a really, really shoddy period i thought - i quit reading marvel for about six years because of how awful some of it was.

rpriske
02-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Best Issue Ever : #57

Soft spot in my heart for: #236

(That was the first one I ever bought, on my way to buying them all. I finished my run last year.)

The Hope and the Slaughter
10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Well, my screen name should tell you my favorite, issue 177 where Michael trashes the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Michael to Jocasta:"You merely help those you think are your friends. I am sorry it must be thus!" Lots of other moments. I love Priest's Black Panther, but how he is depicted here kind of makes a lie out of it...he refused to grab Carina, saying it would not be honorable. Didn't stop Yellowjacket. Wonderman vs. Michael. If it weren't for the female characters stuttering so much, particularly Wanda, the entire storyline would have been perfect, Shooter's magnum opus.

2nd place for me is West Coast Avengers Annual #1. Especially the scene in the cabin. Thor accusing Pym. Quicksilver revealing himself, with Hawkeye yelling "I went to bat for you!" Quicksilver explaining the reasons why he's out to get the Avengers. Quicksilver outrunning Captain Marvel II! Not to mention first team up of the Stark Ironman and the Rhodes Ironman. Hercules eating KFC! Black Widow meets Mockingbird.

And 3rd place is AWC #102. I hated the dismantling of the team, but the scene where USAgent throws his shield into the ocean...I voted this as the biggest tearjerker comic of all time. War Machine's reference to spandex politics was awesome. Sersi not wanting the Whackos cluttering up the mansion, to which Julia replies, "Nice vote, lousy motive!"

Honorable mentions? The rest of the Michael Saga, the Lost in Space Time Saga, particularly the conclusion where Mockingbird allows Ghost Rider to plummet to his death, 213 (Court martial of Yellowjacket), The Under Seige Issues, and 375 where Proctor is defeated but we lose Sersi and the Black Knight, v3#1-4(Heroes Return), v3#7(Live Kree or Die with the expulsion of drunk Warbird and a great Quicksilver appearance), and who could forget #181 where Gyrich limits the roster to 7 and inducts the Falcon...Hawkeye and Quicksilver's reactions were priceless. Not to mention the Beast and Wonderman sequence.

OK enough for now.

Grapeweasel
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/26/Avengers-70.jpg

The Hope and the Slaughter
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Well, my screen name should tell you my favorite, issue 177 where Michael trashes the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy. Michael to Jocasta:"You merely help those you think are your friends. I am sorry it must be thus!" Lots of other moments. I love Priest's Black Panther, but how he is depicted here kind of makes a lie out of it...he refused to grab Carina, saying it would not be honorable. Didn't stop Yellowjacket. Wonderman vs. Michael. If it weren't for the female characters stuttering so much, particularly Wanda, the entire storyline would have been perfect, Shooter's magnum opus.

2nd place for me is West Coast Avengers Annual #1. Especially the scene in the cabin. Thor accusing Pym. Quicksilver revealing himself, with Hawkeye yelling "I went to bat for you!" Quicksilver explaining the reasons why he's out to get the Avengers. Quicksilver outrunning Captain Marvel II! Not to mention first team up of the Stark Ironman and the Rhodes Ironman. Hercules eating KFC! Black Widow meets Mockingbird.

And 3rd place is AWC #102. I hated the dismantling of the team, but the scene where USAgent throws his shield into the ocean...I voted this as the biggest tearjerker comic of all time. War Machine's reference to spandex politics was awesome. Sersi not wanting the Whackos cluttering up the mansion, to which Julia replies, "Nice vote, lousy motive!"

Honorable mentions? The rest of the Michael Saga, the Lost in Space Time Saga, particularly the conclusion where Mockingbird allows Ghost Rider to plummet to his death, 213 (Court martial of Yellowjacket), The Under Seige Issues, and 375 where Proctor is defeated but we lose Sersi and the Black Knight, v3#1-4(Heroes Return), v3#7(Live Kree or Die with the expulsion of drunk Warbird and a great Quicksilver appearance), and who could forget #181 where Gyrich limits the roster to 7 and inducts the Falcon...Hawkeye and Quicksilver's reactions were priceless. Not to mention the Beast and Wonderman sequence.

OK enough for now.

newscott
10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/2/24/Westcoastavengers_annual_2.JPG

Such a fun issue. Baseball and one on one battles between the two teams. A total "Who would win" issue.

Rev. Calibos
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/05819410642.1.GIF

After 13 months of YoungAvengersBlood and an unremarkable end run on Avengers V.1 to see Perez back on the book with the entire roster at Avengers Mansion was just jaw dropping.

There have been better issues with better storylines, but for me this book signifies everything GREAT about the Avengers.

You don't need to bring in Rob Liefeld, you don't need to give 'em leather jackets, you just need to let the Avengers be the Avengers.

With this one book Marvel showed us that they still 'got it' after a loooooong time of really sub par Avengers stories.

Shellhead
10-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I had a tough time answering this question, because I've been an Avengers fan for such a long time. I loved all of these issues:

Volume 1:
#83: the Lady Liberators... fun issue
#117: Avengers-Defenders War: Swordsman vs. Valkyrie, Cap vs. Namor vs. Sunfire
#132 & Giant-Size #3: the Legion of the Unliving
#148: Avengers versus Squadron Supreme
#160: The Trial conducted by Grim Reaper
#161: Ant-Man attacks!
#164-6: Lethal Legion and Count Nefaria
#184: Absorbing Man... nice character moments for a cool villain, plus great teamwork by the Avengers
#189: Hawkeye versus Deathbird, funniest Avengers issue ever

Volume 2:
Nothing... this was a brief but disastrous run

Volume 3:
#22: finale to the great Ultron storyline

My All-time Favorite Avengers issue:
vol. 3, #25: Avengers plus Spider-Man and Nova versus the Exemplars, by Kurt Busiek and George Perez. This was a big line-up of classic Avengers, working well as a team against seven incredibly powerful villains. Lots of good character moments, especially Captain America displaying all of his best qualities, his charisma, leadership, preparation, training, tactics, and resourcefulness.

Evil-Spidey
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/05819410642.1.GIF

After 13 months of YoungAvengersBlood and an unremarkable end run on Avengers V.1 to see Perez back on the book with the entire roster at Avengers Mansion was just jaw dropping.

There have been better issues with better storylines, but for me this book signifies everything GREAT about the Avengers.

With this one book Marvel showed us that they still 'got it' after a loooooong time of really sub par Avengers stories.

YES! I have nothing else to say.:smile:

marvell2100
10-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Issue #177. Best there is.

bubbalee33
10-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Avengers 176

My pick as well, Been waiting for years and years for another Korvac meeting.

Lou25
10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
I can't believe I don't remember the number, but whichever anniversary issue (#400?) that came out right before the last two Onslaught crossover issues, with Loki trying to put one over on Jarvis and "recruiting" almost every villain from the team's history through his memories. Best lines were almost at the end; he's figured out what's going on and starts ripping on Loki's reputation to call him out, using a nice variety of insults (he got pretty mean, I kept waiting to hear the word fannybandit or something)

"the fool's name was Loki, and..."

"And he was no fool." - apparently enough of one to give the butler time to sound the alarm and get the whole team on his asgardian ass. Dolt.

Rev. Calibos
10-31-2008, 08:40 AM
I can't believe I don't remember the number, but whichever anniversary issue (#400?) that came out right before the last two Onslaught crossover issues, with Loki trying to put one over on Jarvis and "recruiting" almost every villain from the team's history through his memories. Best lines were almost at the end; he's figured out what's going on and starts ripping on Loki's reputation to call him out, using a nice variety of insults (he got pretty mean, I kept waiting to hear the word fannybandit or something)

"the fool's name was Loki, and..."

"And he was no fool." - apparently enough of one to give the butler time to sound the alarm and get the whole team on his asgardian ass. Dolt.

Yeah, that issue was great.

'What did the Wasp call him? Oh yes, 'Norse God of the Hot-foots'

Add on some great pencils from Weiringo and you have a monumental issue.

Lou25
10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I completely forgot that Weiringo drew the issue, that pretty much makes it a lock for my favorite now. Damn, now I've got to go home today, find that issue and read it again.

marshal99
10-31-2008, 10:39 AM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/2/24/Westcoastavengers_annual_2.JPG

Such a fun issue. Baseball and one on one battles between the two teams. A total "Who would win" issue.

And i loved part 2 where the combined avengers (and silver surfer) fight grandmaster's legion of the unliving.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/05856107888.16.GIF

I am grateful for the awful heroes reborn as they gave us busiek & perez who brought back the classic avengers (unfortunately , bendis destroyed it later). The crossing gave us teen tony , bug wasp , shirtless thor which all got erased after heroes reborn.

Corey W
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Giant Sized Avengers # 2. Sniffle, sniffle.

Enyo
10-31-2008, 10:45 PM
This whole story but if I had to pick a single issue:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/1/16/Avengers_Vol_3_54.jpg

zaxxos
11-01-2008, 03:20 AM
One of my most favorite issues of Avengers is Avengers Annual #10.Great story and art,and it had everything a great story has.

DeadXMan
11-01-2008, 10:04 AM
avengers 196

first taskmaster FTW!

Trey
11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
"Even an Android Can Cry" .....'nuff said.

xandergrave
12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I've been reading the Angers for over 23 years now, and I was wondering what everyone else considers the best stand-alone single issue they read was. For me, it was Vol. 1 #280. The Masters Of Evil just put a serious hurt on anyone ever associated with the Avengers. This issue, for those who remember, deals with Jarvis in the hospital. Mr. Hyde beat him within an inch of his life in front of Captain America. The Avengers, Earth's mightiest heroes are powerless to help. That's the whole issue. It's a powerful and emotional retelling of the history of the Avengers through the eyes of the, arguably, most cherished and valued member.

stelok
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Avengers volume 1 #400
Avengers vol. 3 #1

They are the best single issues of Avengers i have read

Pedrocas
12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Avengers volume 1 #400
Avengers vol. 3 #1

They are the best single issues of Avengers i have read

You haven't read that many issues, have you? :rolleyes:

For me, it's this annual edition where Rogue steals all of Miss Marvel's powers and personality and the Avengers go to fight the new Brotherhood of Mutants. Perfect team action and interaction and the art is awesome too.

GHalecki
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought that #400 was definately below par for certain. V3 #1 was a really great opening part to a story, but as a stand alone it was unremarkable. Although that scene where Thor appears at the window, is one of the bery best scenes ever.

If I had to pick one issue, the first one that comes to mind would be this one

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=37304&zoom=4

Hank Pym is exhonorated for the crimes that he was framed for, and retires as Yellowjacket.

The issue berore was just about as good though, showing Hank completely dismantling Egghead's Masters of Evil by himself.

http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=37215&zoom=4

bubbalee33
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Avengers 176

Agreed.

(have to have 10 characters)