PDA

View Full Version : Jade Empire

UniqueFrequency
04-13-2005, 08:19 PM
just read and watched a few reviews yesterday. it looks awesome! has anyone here already gotten the game and is playing it?

DF2506
04-13-2005, 11:03 PM
UniqueFrequency<

< just read and watched a few reviews yesterday. it looks awesome! has anyone here already gotten the game and is playing it?
>

I got my limited edition Jade Empire today! And...it is an awesome game, imo!

I just love it!

Even cooler then KOTOR imo (and I like KOTOR 1 quiete a bit. Heck, I like KOTOR 2, despite its flaws, alot too. Jade, so far, beats both games!).

My spoiler-free impressions:

Graphics: The graphics are amazing. Even better then KOTOR. There's just so much detail in the characters and the eviorments. The in-game graphics are great and the cutscenes are just really amazing so far!

Combat: Don't expect a Ninja Gaiden or fighting game type system. This is real time combat and it is pretty fast, imo, but its got RPG elements to it too. You can switch fighting styles (etc) on the fly with the d-pad too. Its ALOT of fun, imo! I actually like it better then Ninja Gaiden and fighting games, but thats me. I love rpgs too. Best action rpg system ever? Hmm. Could be. Time will tell!

Sidequests: There are plenty of sidequests in this game. Lots of different people to talk to and many of them have problems they need your help with it! Love it!

Mini-game: There's really only one mini-game (I believe) and thats the Dragonfly mini-game! Its like one of the classic overhead shooter games from the NES and SNES days. Its just awesome too. I like it alot.

Story: Can't say much. This is spoiler free and I'm not that far into the game yet (3 or 4 hours I believe), but the story is pretty cool so far. If it keeps going to way, it could top KOTORs story too!

Overall, just an awesome game imo. It definitly deserved Ign's 9.9 score imo.

Heck, it should have got a 10!

DF2506
" Can't wait to play this game some more tommorrow! "

TitoJones
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
When did it come out?

UniqueFrequency
04-14-2005, 10:02 AM
UniqueFrequency<

< just read and watched a few reviews yesterday. it looks awesome! has anyone here already gotten the game and is playing it?
>

I got my limited edition Jade Empire today! And...it is an awesome game, imo!

I just love it!

Even cooler then KOTOR imo (and I like KOTOR 1 quiete a bit. Heck, I like KOTOR 2, despite its flaws, alot too. Jade, so far, beats both games!).

My spoiler-free impressions:

Graphics: The graphics are amazing. Even better then KOTOR. There's just so much detail in the characters and the eviorments. The in-game graphics are great and the cutscenes are just really amazing so far!

Combat: Don't expect a Ninja Gaiden or fighting game type system. This is real time combat and it is pretty fast, imo, but its got RPG elements to it too. You can switch fighting styles (etc) on the fly with the d-pad too. Its ALOT of fun, imo! I actually like it better then Ninja Gaiden and fighting games, but thats me. I love rpgs too. Best action rpg system ever? Hmm. Could be. Time will tell!

Sidequests: There are plenty of sidequests in this game. Lots of different people to talk to and many of them have problems they need your help with it! Love it!

Mini-game: There's really only one mini-game (I believe) and thats the Dragonfly mini-game! Its like one of the classic overhead shooter games from the NES and SNES days. Its just awesome too. I like it alot.

Story: Can't say much. This is spoiler free and I'm not that far into the game yet (3 or 4 hours I believe), but the story is pretty cool so far. If it keeps going to way, it could top KOTORs story too!

Overall, just an awesome game imo. It definitly deserved Ign's 9.9 score imo.

Heck, it should have got a 10!

DF2506
" Can't wait to play this game some more tommorrow! "

i have to agree with you on all points. i'm not that good with combat yet, but hopefully i'll get better. the plot SO FAR seems a little predictable, but fantastic voice acting!

very authentic too, speaking as an asian with some knowledge of ancient china

MissKale
04-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Played it for 8 hours today... Got to the Imperial City. And now I'm worried that I'm going to find the end of the game soon.

I'm hoping that there's a good bit more afterwards.

I also got the Special Edition, and I have to say, I wish there was a strong woman character to match the Strong man, in the same way they gave the monk to match the magic woman.

The fighting is very similar to Fable in some ways. A little bit easier though too. Yet the fighting was the best thing about Fable, so its not like its really a bad thing to be emulating.

UniqueFrequency
04-15-2005, 04:49 AM
The fighting is very similar to Fable in some ways. A little bit easier though too. Yet the fighting was the best thing about Fable, so its not like its really a bad thing to be emulating.

that's cool. can look forward to that soon!

Astonishing X-Fan
04-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Combat could be a BIT better...but it's still a fantastic game.

DF2506
04-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Played it for 8 hours today... Got to the Imperial City. And now I'm worried that I'm going to find the end of the game soon.>

Your only on Chapter 3 right? You've got alot more ahead of you! There are seven chapters in this game! With lots of stuff to do (tons of side quests, lots of places to explore, etc). Also, after your done, you can go back and play the game again as a different character and try for a different ending (and try to get different fighting styles, etc). There are THREE different endings.

<I'm hoping that there's a good bit more afterwards.<

When the game ends, it ends. This is NOT Fable (thank goodness. I found Fable's after the game stuff glitchy. plus, Jade should have better endings then Fable).

<I also got the Special Edition, and I have to say, I wish there was a strong woman character to match the Strong man, in the same way they gave the monk to match the magic woman.<

Well, you don't have to go with the pre-set ablities. You can make one of the woman strong! You could have a woman focus completly on body if you wanted to!

<The fighting is very similar to Fable in some ways.<

Disagree with that. Fable's combat was good, but I think Jade's combat is alot more fun! You have tons more styles to play with then you had in Fable, you can switch between them so much easier, and overall, I just think the combat is cooler!

Fable's combat is very easy compared to Jade's imo and less exciting..

< A little bit easier though too.<

If you think its too easy, try fighting on Master or Grand Master difficulty. Whew. Now those are VERY hard (well, I know Master was. I haven't dared to try Grand Master yet!)

Heck, I ran into a battle in the arena which was just..ah, man...VERY hard..and I was playing on Student difficulty! So it can get rough in easy mode too, if your facing lots of bad guys (and especially if your doing it alone in the arena).

This combat is harder then Fable, imo.

< Yet the fighting was the best thing about Fable, so its not like its really a bad thing to be emulating.<

I still disagree that Jade's combat emulates Fables. In Fable, you had all your interaction stuff mapped to your D-pad and you had to push the black or white buttons for switching between sword or axe. Farely simple imo. In Jade, you have so much more styles and its mapped to your D-pad. Plus there's ALOT more moving around in Jade's combat (especially if you use your B button alot, which I do).

Its just, imo, alot more fun then Fable's combat.

You know, I like Fable, but it was WAY too short and a bit glitchy (especially the after the game stuff. but there were glitchy stuff on places too) imo, plus the storyline was nowhere as cool as Jade's imo.

<Combat could be a BIT better...but it's still a fantastic game.<

Disagree. I doubt combat could be better. whew. Just so many different styles (magic, weapons, hand-to-hand, etc. just awesome. some of the styles you get are pretty suprising too!).

The best stradegy in combat, imo, is to switch styles OFTEN. Its makes combat lots of fun! Sticking with one style all the time might get boring, but you just switch styles and push that b button alot and the x button and the a button..and well, there's just so much cool stuff to the combat. I love it!

DF2506
" I'm having a GREAT time with this game! I'm on chapter 3 and its just a blast! I can't wait to see what happens next! "

MissKale
04-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Played it for 8 hours today... Got to the Imperial City. And now I'm worried that I'm going to find the end of the game soon.>

Your only on Chapter 3 right? You've got alot more ahead of you! There are seven chapters in this game! With lots of stuff to do (tons of side quests, lots of places to explore, etc). Also, after your done, you can go back and play the game again as a different character and try for a different ending (and try to get different fighting styles, etc). There are THREE different endings.

When the game ends, it ends. This is NOT Fable (thank goodness. I found Fable's after the game stuff glitchy. plus, Jade should have better endings then Fable).

Mm, at this point it was hard to tell how long it is. Though its fairly clear that there would be multiple endings... I mean it is Bioware we're talking about here. Not sure we should be surprised that they included multiple endings.

But the length of the game was hard to judge for a bit. Then I looked at how many mini-game entries there were supposed to be. That calmed me down a little bit on worrying about the time the game would run.

I also am expecting it to end. I meant a fair bit after the imperial city. The pacing of games, especially more action oriented ones is a bit umm brisk these days. And the speed with which I gained pretty much all of the followers had worried me. Also the speed at which I was able to align myself with the open palm seemed quite fast as well.

And at the moment I'm being pretty dilligent (read obsessive) for finding side quests and hidden objects. That's one of the things the Final Fantasy series taught me.

As for the combat. I may feel its easy because I'm reasonably good at games like this combat-wise. I do change around my style often, but my main foci are on heavenly tiger, chi-steal, ice shard and longsword. I've got other styles, but I haven't used them that much. Probably will try legendary attack and that way of the open palm attack that you learn (the earth one) next. Though I'm still on whatever the initial difficulty setting was, haven't adjusted it one way or the other. EDIT: This means I've been on Master the whole time, which is still feeling not that difficult.

EDIT: OH, just wondering, what was the fight you didn't like in the arena combat? The only one I really felt was hard was the last one, but only because I didn't fight with my character. I'm guessing from the description it was Phoenix Unity that was the problem.

And I meant that they didn't have a character model for a strong woman... Its obvious that you can make one strong. But there isn't the extra model for it. That's what I was commenting on.

EDIT: The secret to group combat seems to be to pay attention to who's behind you. As well that you may need to pull outside and attack with ranged, culminating in a freeze/immobilize and then moving in for heavy close damage.

DF2506
04-16-2005, 10:00 PM
^^Well, like I said, there are seven chapters in all, and your only in Chapter 3 (I'm moving on chapter 4 pretty soon. The palace!).

I know for sure that there's 7 chapters, because I have the stradegy guide!

<This means I've been on Master the whole time, which is still feeling not that difficult.<

Then turn the difficulty up! I hear Grand Master is VERY hard!

But, btw, when I played on Master for a brief time I found it hard, so I guess your alot better with fighting type games then I am (which wouldn't be a hard thing, since I'm more of an rpg gamer, then a fighting gamer).

Anyway, I hear that Grand Master is pretty hard. You should try it if you need more of a challenge!

<EDIT: OH, just wondering, what was the fight you didn't like in the arena combat? The only one I really felt was hard was the last one, but only because I didn't fight with my character. I'm guessing from the description it was Phoenix Unity that was the problem.<

The hardest fight in the arena for me was the one where you were assaulted with lots and lots of people and you had a time limit on each. Not Phoenix Unity. That was easy, imo. The time limit one, even one easy, got pretty hard for me when I ended up with an Elephant Demon and three or four different fighters in the ring too! Whew!

The last fight, for me, with the other character was easy and imo, lots of fun! It was so cool to play a different character! I sure hope I get to do that again!

Oh and don't get me wrong about the arena fights! I liked them ALL. Even the one I thought was hard! All the fights and challenges in the arena were alot of fun, imo. I think Jade Empire had a much better arena then Fable! In fact, I can't wait to do the arena again in my second playthrough!

Anyway, I'm 18 some hours into the game now and I'm almost to chapter 4! Of course, I've been doing tons of sidequests in Chapter 3, so that extended my time in chapter 3 I'm sure. I can't wait to see what happens in Ch. 4! This game is getting pretty exciting imo!

DF2506
" Just recently got the Jade Golem transformation! WOW! I love it! "

DF2506
04-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Sorry for the double post!

I just wanted to let guys and gals know that I beat Jade Empire yesterday!

Ya, that was pretty quick! I was wrong about how long this game was. I mean, there were seven chapters, BUT chapters 4, 5, 6, and 7 went by pretty quick! Those chapters were pretty quick..and..for the most part...had no sidequests (I think there was like 1 side quest in one of those chapters).

Still, I LOVE this game! Ya, its a bit short, BUT the storyline is awesome, imo, the combat system is so cool, the graphics are amazing, etc. Its just a GREAT game.

And there are 2 more endings to get, some more mini-game levels to unlock (I love the Dragonfly mini-game! Its so cool), more dialague to see (closed fist dialogue, etc), and some other extra bits too.

Heck, I didn't do any of the romance stuff in the game! lol! So I'll definitly have to look into that this next playthrough!

Yep, thats right! I've already started a new game! This time I'm playing as Wu the Lotus Blossom (the first time I played as Monk Zeng, the special edition character).

My first styles for her are Heavenly Wave and Thousand Cuts (aside: and so far, thousand cuts is a very cool style! Didn't get it with my playthrough with Monk Zeng).

I plan to be a slightly Closed Fist person this time around (I may do some Open Palm stuff too). I might go for the closed fist ending or the other ending! :)

Can't wait to play more of this! I know there's some stuff I missed the first time and I hope to catch some (or all) of it this time!

DF2506
" This game may be short, but it seems to have some great repliablity! "

DrDoomX
04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
My wife and I are getting a lot of money from taxes so I am going to buy an x-box, is this a good game to buy for a first time game for the X-Box

Astonishing X-Fan
04-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I find the game's length depends mainly on one primary thing: How you handle the dialogue. If you actually listen to all the voice acting and go through every conversation fully, the game will be a lot longer than if you just read the text and skip ahead, and avoid talking about anything that isn't very important to the plot.

I'm over 12 hours and just finishing chapter 2. Had I not sat through all the dialogue, though, I probably would have made it this far a long time ago.

As for combat, switching styles is fun and there's plenty you can do...but I definately think this is one of the main areas to improve if a sequel is made. For an RPG it's a good combat system, now they need to take the foundation they have and build on it. Make something that can compete with the great action games like DMC, God of War, or Ninja Gaiden.

UniqueFrequency
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
I find the game's length depends mainly on one primary thing: How you handle the dialogue. If you actually listen to all the voice acting and go through every conversation fully, the game will be a lot longer than if you just read the text and skip ahead, and avoid talking about anything that isn't very important to the plot.

I'm over 12 hours and just finishing chapter 2. Had I not sat through all the dialogue, though, I probably would have made it this far a long time ago.

As for combat, switching styles is fun and there's plenty you can do...but I definately think this is one of the main areas to improve if a sequel is made. For an RPG it's a good combat system, now they need to take the foundation they have and build on it. Make something that can compete with the great action games like DMC, God of War, or Ninja Gaiden.

the voice acting is GREAT in the game! i'd say i listen to half and read half. reached Imperial City in about 8 hrs 10 mins.

DrDoomX: it's the best game i've played on the xbox so far, so i'd say yes (granted, i don't have that many xbox games)

DrDoomX
04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
the voice acting is GREAT in the game! i'd say i listen to half and read half. reached Imperial City in about 8 hrs 10 mins.

DrDoomX: it's the best game i've played on the xbox so far, so i'd say yes (granted, i don't have that many xbox games)

Thanks I think I will pick it up when I get my x-box :)

UniqueFrequency
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey guys i just got to the imperial city and did the martial arts school quest. however, when you talk to kang upon first reaching the city, you get transported to a 'heaven'. i followed one of the scrolls i had and pressed the dragon button and there was a purple light, but not much else. what am i supposed to do and what is that place meant for?

Sheldon
04-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Picked it up yesterday, and I'm enjoying it immensly.....my wife is gonna hate this game :)

The Oaf
04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
God this is a great game...and I beat it yesterday. I must say (without spoiling anything) that after the endings I got with the first two KOTOR games I was kinda down...but Jade Empire my hope was restored. Finally a halfway decent ending.

Anyway, I got the pure Open Palmed ending, so I might play the game through again to try the path of the Closed Palm and see how that goes.

TitoJones
04-26-2005, 02:51 AM
So should I start playing this game ahead of KOTOR 2 (I just started), or as they say 'Save the Best for Last'?

Sheldon
04-26-2005, 05:13 AM
Finish Kotor 2, it won't take you too long, and then you can get into jade.

MissKale
04-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I was really disappointed with the pure open palm ending because there just didn't seem to be anything there. It was so generic in what happened in its own way. Also I really hated the way that everything after the imperial city just went SO quickly. There just weren't really any sub-quests in those sections at all. Or they were so minor it was almost pointless.

But I really liked the game UP to the Imperial City. Apart from that, I don't know. It just seemed too short.

Sheldon
05-04-2005, 05:50 AM
John Cleese is just amazing.

DrDoomX
05-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Question guys....I asked this question for Kotor, on that thread, romances for characters on this game...I am playing as a female(Wu the lotus blossom) Which character is it that I should initiate in conversation for a romance in this game?

UniqueFrequency
05-04-2005, 10:56 AM
John Cleese is just amazing.

which characters did he voice, exactly?

i've heard one that sounded like him, but i can't remember who it is...

Sheldon
05-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Question guys....I asked this question for Kotor, on that thread, romances for characters on this game...I am playing as a female(Wu the lotus blossom) Which character is it that I should initiate in conversation for a romance in this game?

Do you wanna have a straight or lesbian romance?
Sky for straight, Silk Fox or Dawn Star for some lesbian lovin

Sheldon
05-04-2005, 11:01 AM
which characters did he voice, exactly?

i've heard one that sounded like him, but i can't remember who it is...

The outlander....the guy who gives you mirabelle.

DrDoomX
05-04-2005, 11:47 AM
I was not aware i had that choice...I may try the male choice but the other ones sound intriguing....

Sheldon
05-04-2005, 12:06 PM
I was not aware i had that choice...I may try the male choice but the other ones sound intriguing....

Indeed intriguing is the best word to describe it.

DrDoomX
05-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Indeed intriguing is the best word to describe it.
Its good we can agree on that, btw which character does John Cleese Voice? I see his name listed on the Jade Empire credits on IMDB, but it does not say which character he voices??

Sheldon
05-05-2005, 05:31 AM
He's the outlander in the imperial city......he is in the scholar gardens and has a musket

DrDoomX
05-05-2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info again Sheldon. I finally got to Chapter 3, after 11 hours of play. I take my time to find each and every quest i can do....I am taking the open palm and I got that style forgot the name of it from mistress Vo. Awesome game thus far....

Sheldon
05-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Gamespot has a nice guide (http://www.gamespot.com/features/6121916/index.html) for Jade Empire. I use it to make sure I haven't missed any sidequests. You need to sign up to get access to it, but its free so it isn't too much of a hassle.

Bruce Wayne Jr.
05-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Anybody know if there'll be a PC release somewhere down the line?

Sheldon
05-05-2005, 09:11 AM
There is none planned at the moment.

DrDoomX
05-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I donot think the game would work well on PC, cause of the real time combat...if it was turnbased like KOTOR yes but honestly I think it works better on console then pc.

Sheldon
05-13-2005, 03:16 AM
Finally beat it closed fist, and did it ever make me feel horrible. Much more nasty choices than the ones in KOTOR.

cactusmaac
03-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Finished this morning.

Nice game although default setting is too easy and it could have been a good 10 hours longer.

Looks and sounds fantastic.

Did it Open Fist, shagging Dawn Star along the way :)

X-Box RPGs order of preference:

1. Fable
2. Jade Empire
3. KOTOR
4. KOTOR 2

Eagle299
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Finished this morning.

Nice game although default setting is too easy and it could have been a good 10 hours longer.

Looks and sounds fantastic.

Did it Open Fist, shagging Dawn Star along the way :)

X-Box RPGs order of preference:

1. Fable
2. Jade Empire
3. KOTOR
4. KOTOR 2

Fable is at the bottom of the list for me. The lack of a real story killed it for me.

I also liked KOTOR better than Jade Empire. But Jade Empire was still a great game. There should have been at least one more city full of side quests though. Or two. I did an Open Palm Female and shagged Silk Fox.

When and if I ever replay it Closed Fist, I'll do a male character and seduce them both.

Lester C.
05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I just bought the PC version and was wondering if anyone wanted to discuss this game?

Thorlief
05-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm all up for it. For now all I can say is that the game has got all the quality you can expect from Bioware, but maybe it's a bit too short

Lester C.
05-08-2007, 05:40 AM
The PC version the exact same game but if you have a good computer the load times are instant and the graphics are far superior when compared to the Xbox game. The downside to the PC version is that there is actually slightly less content to t than the Xbox version.

HynerianChef
05-08-2007, 06:51 AM
I was under the impression that the PC version actually had more content than the X-Box version? More fighting styles even, among other things. What's missing?

Copper
05-08-2007, 07:00 AM
They give you a bonus disc with the "Rhino" fighting style.

Lester C.
05-08-2007, 07:02 AM
They added two of everything but took away a couple weapons and the extremly funny voice overs at the end of the credits.

Expletive Deleted
05-16-2007, 07:57 PM
(late to the party, sorry)
They added two of everything but took away a couple weapons and the extremly funny voice overs at the end of the credits.What weapons are missing?

I've been looking around the net, and I can't find any references to weapons or styles that I don't have access to in the PC version.

Lester C.
05-19-2007, 07:35 PM
(late to the party, sorry)What weapons are missing?

I've been looking around the net, and I can't find any references to weapons or styles that I don't have access to in the PC version.

In the limited addion there was a staff that isn't available on the pc version.

Expletive Deleted
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Just that one?

It's in the PC version, it's just not activated. There are a bunch of styles in other versions that are available if you're willing to do a little 2DA editing. Tien's Justice, Monkey Paw, single saber, double hammer, and Death Hand styles are all in there.

Lester C.
05-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Just that one?

It's in the PC version, it's just not activated. There are a bunch of styles in other versions that are available if you're willing to do a little 2DA editing. Tien's Justice, Monkey Paw, single saber, double hammer, and Death Hand styles are all in there.

I'm going to have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

Expletive Deleted
05-20-2007, 03:08 PM
No prob. Adding deleted styles takes a little tiny bit more effort than adding styles from other versions, since you need to compile the NCS file, but it's still pretty easy.

Here's the pack of mods I use, if you're interested.

Lester C.
05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
No prob. Adding deleted styles takes a little tiny bit more effort than adding styles from other versions, since you need to compile the NCS file, but it's still pretty easy.

Here's the pack of mods I use, if you're interested.

Thank you so very much.:)