PDA

View Full Version : Does Lois know that Bruce Wayne is Batman?

Guts/Batman
03-20-2005, 10:24 AM
While I was reading Hush Vol. 1 Lois said "Have fun being all tights and flights. And remember DESPITE how HE behaves when he's... y'know-- That you two ARE friends."

is that her talking about her flirty relationship with bruce or her saying when he's Batman?

bannermanonemillion
03-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Ya know, that's a good question.

Any takers?

Gauss
03-20-2005, 12:10 PM
I can't see Superman being the kind of guy to keep secrets from Lois, and since Batman sure as hell knows Clark's secret and about his relationship with her, I think it's pretty likely that Lois knows who Bruce is.

That said, can anyone point to a comic where she found out?

kane
03-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I can't see Superman being the kind of guy to keep secrets from Lois, and since Batman sure as hell knows Clark's secret and about his relationship with her, I think it's pretty likely that Lois knows who Bruce is.

That said, can anyone point to a comic where she found out?

This is an interessting question. In the superman issue, where Lois and Batman steal the kryptonite ring from the white house, Lois does not know that B=BW.
In none of the superman issues i have read since this issue the secret is revealed to Lois.
But in Hush she knows it.

Batman found out Clarks secret a long time ago.

I donīt think that superman told her without bruces permission. Clark maybe has no secrets about his life, but i don`t think, that he tells her everything. Its Batmans secret identity and Lois has no right to know it without bruces permission.

IamtheRock3
03-20-2005, 01:03 PM
in the recent adventures of Superman

Lois told superman he can't live in fear "That bruces thing"

So she knows. And really it kind of convient for her to know. They can watch each other backs. Bats could use someone big reporter helping him. Other then Clark that is.

Guts/Batman
03-20-2005, 01:15 PM
on another note connected to lois, when did bruce buy The Daily Planet? It makes sense since he has connections just about everywhere, but anyone know when he bought em or did he inherit the company?

Titanium
03-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Every family member and loved one of a superhero knows Batman is Bruce Wayne.

kane
03-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Where is this told?

1. Not every superhero knows that BW=Batman. Batman revealed his iD to some JLA-members, but not to every superheroe, not even to every member of the JLA.

2. I think the superheroes, who know the secret ID, respect the secret id of batman. The identity of Batman is of no concern to the family members.
Do you really think that plastic man tells his son the secret identity of batman? Even the parents of Clark Kent do not know batmans secret identity.

Forsaken_One
03-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Perhaps he wasn't referring to a specific book but to DC's editorial policy these days? I mean, hell, Green Arrow knew who Robin was as did Jean, an ex-wife of the Atom who shouldn't even have known Bruce was Batman. It seems like these days Batman's secret identity is common knowledge.

Kistler
03-20-2005, 02:31 PM
When Batman met up with Lois before their white house robbery, he stated that he'd already assumed that Lois knew, telling her "the JLA has no secrets" (this was just after Bruce and Clark decided they all needed to be more open about their identities). So I have no problem assuming that either Batman himself would have told her just after the adventure was over or that she would mention this conversation to Clark and that Clark would then tell her knowing that Bruce had made it clear he didn't have a real problem with it.

As for Bruce owning the planet, this kinda started once Lex sold the Planet back to Perry White for a dollar. Perry had the planet, but still needed a financial backer. So every few issues, we would see hiim talking to some unknown party who was now in charge. In the issue where Lois and Batman broke into the White House, Perry announced to everyone that Wayne owned the Planet and Bruce being the secret Orson Welles fan we all know he must be, repeated those immortal words "I thought it would be fun to run a newspaper."

Mia
03-20-2005, 04:46 PM
While I was reading Hush Vol. 1 Lois said "Have fun being all tights and flights. And remember DESPITE how HE behaves when he's... y'know-- That you two ARE friends."

is that her talking about her flirty relationship with bruce or her saying when he's Batman?

I think it's clear she talking about Batman. Speaking of flirty behaviour. Does Lois do that with all men or is she trying to make in roads with the boss.

Sean Whitmore
03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Speaking of flirty behaviour. Does Lois do that with all men or is she trying to make in roads with the boss.

Neither, really. Lois has never shown interest, feigned or otherwise, since becoming involved with Clark.

kane Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium

2. I think the superheroes, who know the secret ID, respect the secret id of batman. The identity of Batman is of no concern to the family members.Do you really think that plastic man tells his son the secret identity of batman? Even the parents of Clark Kent do not know batmans secret identity.

They do now, anyway. It was never actually shown, but the current status quo seems to be that all the heroes know Batman is Bruce, and through them so do their loved ones. If the Atom's ex-wife knows that Robin is Tim Drake, and Cyborg is on a first-name basis with Alfred, then we can say without reservation that Lois Lane and Linda Park and so on know Batman is Bruce.

SEAN

kane
03-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Cyborg knows it, because he knows that Robin/Nightwing = Dick. Green arrow is also not new in the super heroe business.

But i really donīt think that every family member knows. And the thing with atoms ex wife: I donīt want to start with the lack of logic in IC, therefore lets forget it.

And as far as i remember in a superman issue (and it think it was published not long ago) superman parents said to Clark, that Batmans parents are sure proud of him. That shows that they do not know.

I think if really the heroes would tell it to their families, we would see a very angry Batman going after the heroes and scaring the hell out of them, because they have not the right to tell his secret idetity to their families.

bannermanonemillion
03-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Here's a question: how would you give Bruce his secret ID back? I mean so many people know, it leaves him vulnerable. Bruce would never do that himself (IC, anyone?) but let's say some being decided to do that. How?

kane
03-20-2005, 07:33 PM
the spectre?

Forsaken_One
03-20-2005, 07:41 PM
If it was pre-crisis he could do some elaborate ploy probably involving Superman.

Sean Whitmore
03-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Here's a question: how would you give Bruce his secret ID back? I mean so many people know, it leaves him vulnerable.

Is it really as bad as all that, though? Most of the villains who know Bruce's identity are bound by honor (Al Ghul) or psychosis (Riddler) not to reveal it. And I like reading a story every once in a while where the villain knows the hero's secret. Shakes things up a little.

SEAN

Forsaken_One
03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
And then there's David Cain. And Bane. And probably Lex Luthor. And Al Ghul isn't really, um, alive any more, while the current one isn't all that honor bound. And Talia's a member of the Villians United cabal. And Calculator seems to have a good idea, if not know outright. And none of those people are really all that honor bound or psychotic. Most of them are motivated by money.

Guts/Batman
03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Bane...now that got me thinking. He said he knew this man (Wayne) intimately in Knightfall: Broken Bat. That got me thinking, how does he know him? Does he know him or did he just rule out people that couldn't be batman and arrived on the one person that it had to be?

Sean Whitmore
03-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Bane...now that got me thinking. He said he knew this man (Wayne) intimately in Knightfall: Broken Bat. That got me thinking, how does he know him? Does he know him or did he just rule out people that couldn't be batman and arrived on the one person that it had to be?

It was one of those "warrior" things. :) Bane saw Bruce Wayne walking around, and instantly knew it was Batman from the way he looked and moved.

SEAN

Guts/Batman
03-20-2005, 09:00 PM
i see. So that wouldn't work with Bruce Banner? lol

Sean Whitmore
03-20-2005, 09:20 PM
i see. So that wouldn't work with Bruce Banner? lol

Oh, I'm sure Bane's powers of deduction would grow as the situation dictated. :D

"Hmm, that skinny man...he carries a hidden rage deep within him...he is obviously the Hulk. Or, umm...possibly Mister Hyde."

SEAN

Sharcque
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Here's a question: how would you give Bruce his secret ID back? I mean so many people know, it leaves him vulnerable. Bruce would never do that himself (IC, anyone?) but let's say some being decided to do that. How?
Let John Byrne do a retcon? :D

Guts/Batman
03-20-2005, 09:37 PM
ahhhhhhhh...Bane fan perhaps. Personally i liked the way he broke bruce in Broken Bat.

While on the subject, when reading the second Knightfall (when Jean Paul takes on Bane), Jean Apaul gets a dose of Scarecrows fear gas then precedes to see visions on his father ( i think?) and St. Dumas in the third Knightfall novel. Are those visions the offspring of the fear gas or something else?

I like those lines
"you have have failed and an assassin and as the bat".

FunkyGreenJerusalem
03-21-2005, 10:02 PM

I don't think it would matter.

As someone pointed out in another thread (Bruce isn't Batman), He has so many other identites that he could easily slip into that the Bruce Wayne one isn't important, only Batman is.

Matches Malone
03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
ahhhhhhhh...Bane fan perhaps. Personally i liked the way he broke bruce in Broken Bat.

While on the subject, when reading the second Knightfall (when Jean Paul takes on Bane), Jean Apaul gets a dose of Scarecrows fear gas then precedes to see visions on his father ( i think?) and St. Dumas in the third Knightfall novel. Are those visions the offspring of the fear gas or something else?

JP got visions all the time; it was induced by fear gas during Knightfall, but on other occasions he was just nuts.

RawShark
03-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I've always wondered, why is it that the villains dont just buy a Superman or Batman or whoever's comic book to find out the hero's secret identity?
Maybe being caught with a comic book is more humiliating than real criminal activity?

heh heh heh

Azrael52
03-27-2005, 12:11 PM
What if Mxy did his own version of IC and he handed out Comics to each villian about their particular foe?

ontheedge
12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
I've always simply assume that Bruce himself had told Lois, or maybe she had found about it by accident like in the World's Finest animated movie.

Choppa
12-14-2007, 07:55 AM
^Why did you resurrect a 2+ year old thread?

Lois obviously does know. The comment in HUSH was about Batman and Superman being friends, and in the recent Dini run there was the issue where she is in Gotham and it's clear that she knows. I don't think it was established before HUSH that Lois knew, but HUSH didn't really pay much attention to the events that preceeded it so I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Crimson
12-14-2007, 08:29 AM
In an issue of Detective Comics under Dini's pen Lois was at a party Bruce was at and he asked where Clark was at (very excited to see Lois and wanting to see Clark)... I can't believe that Kent and Wayne hang out in the same public circles when they aren't in tights.

Lorendiac
12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I've always wondered, why is it that the villains dont just buy a Superman or Batman or whoever's comic book to find out the hero's secret identity?
Maybe being caught with a comic book is more humiliating than real criminal activity?

Oddly enough, I think I once read a comment that back in the Golden Age, in at least one published story, some fans who met Captain Marvel (the Fawcett guy) knew he was Billy Batson because they'd read it in comic books! I have not heard that any villains learned his secret ID that way, though -- but there is precedent for your idea! (If you still care, a few years after you typed that.)

jerrymcl89
12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Does Bruce still own the Daily Planet? I know I've read stories where he did, but I'm not sure if that is still true.

OverMaster
12-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Pfft, if Jean Loring knew Robin's true identity, why wouldn't Lois know Bruce's?

MythicBrawn
12-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Superman definitely told her because she sure wouldn't have figured it out on her own. She couldn't figure out that Clark and Superman are the same person. All the while, working with and being rescued by both on a regular basis.

md62
12-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Lois does know. It was acknowledged in a Superman/Detective crossover several years ago. The story had Superman/Batman/Lois steal the kryptonite ring away from Luthor. It took place in the White House when Lex was the President. It was written by Jeph Loeb.

Lorendiac
12-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Lois does know. It was acknowledged in a Superman/Detective crossover several years ago. The story had Superman/Batman/Lois steal the kryptonite ring away from Luthor. It took place in the White House when Lex was the President. It was written by Jeph Loeb.

No, actually that was the crossover story that established that she didn't know yet. (Although presumably Clark told her shortly thereafter.) I reread it just a year or two ago, so I suspect my memory of it is a bit fresher than yours.

A quick online check tells me the two-part crossover began in "Superman #168" and ended in "Detective Comics #756." Jeph Loeb wrote the "Superman" part; Greg Rucka wrote the "Detective Comics" part. Both issues were cover-dated May 2001 -- which means they were released a couple of months sooner (don't ask me why DC does it that way!).

As I recall: Batman answered the Bat-Signal and discovered it wasn't Commissioner Gordon asking for help in catching a psychotic villain on the loose; it was Lois asking for a personal favor. He started to scold her for using the Bat-Signal for a thing like that. She said something like: "What else was I supposed to do? It's not like I have your home phone number!" Batman was obviously very surprised by that comment; he said something like: "You don't?"

Then he thought to himself: "Clark should have told me she didn't know."

The implication was that Batman had assumed Clark must have shared information with his wife about how to contact Batman in a worst-case scenario, even though he'd never explicitly given Clark permission to do that after Lois and Clark got married. Meanwhile, we could gather that Clark had assumed that Batman would go ballistic if Clark ran around revealing Batman's secret identity to anyone who didn't Absolutely Positively Have The Need-To-Know, so Clark had conscientiously refrained from sharing Bruce's secrets with Lois. So Bruce thought Lois already knew by now, but she didn't. (Although dozens of other people apparently knew!)