PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Nostalgic for the Detroit-Era League?

Typo Lad
03-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has fond memories of this run.

Viking Bastard
03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Is this the 'X-Men Wannabes' league? The one before the Giffen league?
Or something else? I'm trying to build a picture in my head of what period
exactly that is.

Matches Malone
03-15-2005, 07:39 AM
I'll always have a soft spot for JLDetroit. (Viking, this was the group with Vibe, Gypsy, etc.) Not really dying to see that era revisited, though - the appeal is, as you note, nostalgic.

Ned Leeds
03-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Not I. I quit reading JL during the "Detroit" issues. Started up again when Giffen and crew took over.

blast_front
03-15-2005, 08:56 AM
I reread those issues a month or so back. The art and writing were pretty uneven but not without their charms. Gypsy was interesting, if underused, and I prefer the Hank Heywood III Steel to the subsequent characters who used the name. The only two arcs that really stood out in the JL Detroit run were the one with Despero and the End of the JLA.

All in all, it was pretty much the epitome of "interesting failure". I hated it as a 12 year old fanboy, but now I can at least see where DC was trying to take the book after a lot of classic Leaguers had moved on. (GL quitting, Flash's trial, Atom going native, etc)

Shellhead
03-15-2005, 01:09 PM
It was obvious to me that they were trying to get a huge New X-Men boost in sales, without really grasping why the New X-Men were so cool back then.

blast_front
03-15-2005, 01:39 PM
It was obvious to me that they were trying to get a huge New X-Men boost in sales, without really grasping why the New X-Men were so cool back then.

It was also a precursor to the "de-powering" phase DC went through post-Crisis with Flash and Superman, which I have no problems with per se. It's the execution that went haywire.

An example can be found Vibe's characterization over the first half-dozen issues. Conway laid the ethnic stereotyping on thick and heavy at the start, and then backpedaled with vigor. It didn't/doesn't give the impression that the book's shift in direction was planned out that well from the start.

Rocket13
03-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Although I bought and read all the Detroit era JLA issues I really didn't enjoy most of them very much. So I am not really nostalgic for that era and don't even remember it as being part of the JLA history until someone brings it up.

marshal99
03-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Nooo , they are a disgrace to the Justice League name. Story and art all went down a notch and this league was rightfully terminated and disbanded. Only good thing that came out during this era was the Despero makeover and the fact it brought the martian manhunter back to the JLA fold which he has since remained pretty much through all the different incarnations of the JLA till the present era.

SUPERECWFAN1
03-20-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm getting some back Issues In this run of the Justice League. It was a grand expirament to see If newer heroes could carry the Justice League of America and It failed .

I have the final Issues where Vibe & Steel get killed. And the other 2 quit. Its just sad that DC never kept Steel alive. With the right writer and costume they may have been able to make that charactor decent enough to stick.

Blueferret
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I agree with the sentiments about Steel. With the resurgance of the JSA in the past few years, he would have been a good addition to the team. Also, I want Dale Gunn to come back in some capacity.

SUPERECWFAN1
03-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I agree with the sentiments about Steel. With the resurgance of the JSA in the past few years, he would have been a good addition to the team. Also, I want Dale Gunn to come back in some capacity.

Who Is Dale Gunn ? I really haven't heard of his name at all.

I'd love to see the 2nd Manhunter..the one who became the Star Tsar return and plauge the JLA some. I have the Secret Origins of him and I'd love to see him come back In some form and battle the JLA.

Blueferret
03-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Dale Gunn was the man who ran the JLA's Detroit bunker. He had a lot of potential. IIRC, Max Lord tried to get him onboard for JLI at one point.

JoshuaB
03-20-2005, 07:23 PM
I always miss a run after it's over. I enjoyed the Detroit era a lot, have most of the issues back collected. One other era I miss (but I'm not sure if anyone else does) is the Breakdowns and Spectacular era. That made me fall in love with the League when I was a kid.

barbgrayson
03-22-2005, 06:22 PM
they sort of remind me of the superfriends but i liked the way it ended with the death of steel and vibe

Jamie
03-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm nostalgic more for the idea than for the execution.

David O Burcham
03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Aquaman finally got his chance to shine in the spotlight...he put the team together...then they yanked him out of the book!??! That ticked me off.

Vibe was a horrible character with some neat powers. His second costume looked great, but, he was way to stereotypical in his debut and i never warmed up to the character.

On the bright side...

Steel and Gypsy were great character concepts.

Fans had been begging for Vixen to join the League for years.

People give Giffen and crew all the praise in the world for making Sue Dibney a great character, but, it was in THIS incarnation that she became more than the typical super-hero's wife.

Martian Manhunter was pretty much an after-thought of a character in the DCU until this era. This is the time period that brought J'onzz back to the hero community.

Dale Gunn was a great support character and it's a shame he is trapped somewhere in comic book limbo. Gunn was an employee of Steel's grandfather and became the behind-the-scenes tech man. The suit he designed for Aquaman (with the built-in water vascular system) was genius writing. I remember really hoping he'd hook up with Zatanna.

Sanagi
03-24-2005, 01:51 AM
It wasn't great but there were some cool characters. I like that some of them have turned up on Justice League Unlimited.

TCJohnson
03-24-2005, 04:37 AM
I am not nostalgic for the run itself, but I would like to see Gypsy and Vibe's brother around a bit more.

BoosterBronze
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
It would be AWESOME if JLA: Classified had a Detroit Era story arc.

Typo Lad
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
It would be AWESOME if JLA: Classified had a Detroit Era story arc.

Booster, I want to thank you for that post.

You just gave me an idea.

Bless your heart.

cactusmaac
03-24-2005, 04:01 PM
To quote Jonathan Last

LIKE MOST BOYS, I was a comics fan. Everyone has favorite superheroes, and mine were garden-variety: Batman, the Flash, Superman.

I wasn't a sophisticated reader. I didn't go in for the civil rights allegories (like X-Men), and I wasn't much interested in seeing my heroes tackle social issues in the manner of the Green Arrow. I was happiest when they were going after super-villains bent on world domination. I was the type of kid who loved the Justice League of America--until 1984, when they kicked out Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Green Lantern, and Hawkman and replaced them with a 14-year-old Gypsy girl, an African-American model, and a break-dancing Latino gang-banger. Only 10 years old at the time, I didn't know what political correctness was, but I knew that I wanted my Justice League fighting Lex Luthor, not settling gang disputes in Detroit and unseating corrupt African dictators.

Cash Lone
03-24-2005, 05:41 PM
The final issues w/ the death of Vibe and Professor Ivo in a straight jacket who is out of his mind were surreal and bizarre. They really stuck in my mind all these years later. JM demattis did a solid job of creeping me out.

I can imagine the hate mail that must have been pouring into DC, so the Editors were probably giving the green light to bring down the blade.

ScottDMSimmons
03-24-2005, 10:16 PM
I really liked and still like GYPSY.

STEEL had a cool look, and I enjoyed Dale Gunn's character.

--Scott

joelcerio
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
I started reading comics just as the original League was disbanding, so I discovered the Justice League of America at the same time as these new recruits. I grew to love the characters of Gypsy, Vixen, and Steel. Vibe annoyed me. I was relieved when Vixen and Gypsy did not die at the end of the series and I have followed all of their appearances ever since. I really liked Gypsy in Justice League Task Force and the father-daughter relationship she shared with J'onn J'onnz. I have also enjoyed seeing Vixen in the new Justice League of America. I thought it was cool that Vibe's brother (Reverb, aka Hardline) became a member of Booster Gold's Conglomerate, along with Gypsy. I wish DC would bring him back. Steel had a lot of potential and should not have died, but at least we now have Citizen Steel as a member of the Justice Society of America.

pryde15
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Vixen, in my opinion, she was the breakout star of that era. I liked Gypsy, but I couldn't get Jubilee out of my head everytime I read her dialogue. I liked Vibe and Steel... but that was marginal.

Action Ace
12-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Booster, I want to thank you for that post.

You just gave me an idea.

Bless your heart.

Having read the JLA Classified arc I wish he'd given him a different idea. :biggrin:

I have no nostalgia for the era at all. I regard it as a betrayal of the JLA concept as they Marvelized it into a cheap X-Men ripoff.

The lone silver lining was the return of J'onn J'onzz to active duty in the DCU.

n8twing
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
I liked it at first. I liked that it gave us a kick-ass Aquaman. I liked that there were subplots and mysteries among the team members. I liked most of the team. I liked Chuck Patton's art.

It wasn't the "JLA proper," but it was a pretty good team book.

I hated that they got cold feet and brought in Batman. That completely changed the tone of the book and I lost interest.

In retrospect, I DO like that the Detroit Era is a "legitimate" era of the JLA. And it gave us Gypsy and put Vixen in the spotlight. And Vibe and Steel became good "dead soldier" characters. I think every team needs a few of them sometimes.

They should have developed Vibe's brother. Reverb, more tho.... who later showed up as a member of Booster Gold's Conglomorate team... only to disapppear into obscurity....

Jess C.H.
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm up for Detroit anything!

LordAllMighty
12-07-2009, 11:09 PM
No...I have an almost complete run of the Detroit League and I don't miss it.

The only person I liked the most was Vixen and she is in the current JLA...so that's all I need from that era.:biggrin:

Wouldn't mind seeing the MM/Vixen friendship again though.

big al
12-08-2009, 03:39 AM
I really enjoyed this series. I still think JLA annual #2 is a damn good issue and the way all the new characters were presented there was awsome. My fav was Steel, I still think he should not have been killed and was holding out hope that he was still alive since he was 1/2 machine and all....I mean he was still alive when Despero attacked him so why couldn't he be plugged back in afterwards and someday emerge almost totaly machine? Vibe was ok....I don't think he was executed properly. Loved Vixen...gypsy was ok. For the life of me I can't figure out why they felt they had to kill Steel. still pisses me off to this day.

Zero Hunter
12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Its funny the actual issues of JL Detroit are some really bad stuff, but I have enjoyed seeing them written by todays writers when they have popped up. Like that mini series where they wrote new stories with each era of the League. I really liked that one.

marshal99
12-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Detroit era league was awful. Calling them the justice league is a disgrace to the name.

True Herald
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
The Detroit League is one of my favorite League eras. Their story in issue 4 of the aforementioned JLA mini, JLA: Incarnations, is recommended. There's still plenty of potential in the 4 newcomers, especially Vibe.

Must... write... Vibe fic... :wink:

Shellhead
12-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Vibe was so impressive that he inspired a legacy character: Tickle-Me Elmo.

joint venture
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
missing not the JLD issues. read good comics must you learn to.
good words those who read speak as well.

screw JLD.