PDA

View Full Version : Stunner to Return in Superior Spider-Man #21

Mister Mets
07-10-2013, 11:19 AM
It was announced in the letters pages for Superior Spider-Man #14. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/10/peter-parker-spider-man-to-be-a-weekly-series-in-october-and-all-flashback/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Stunner will return in a story in a story illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli.

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_00571.jpg?f6a06b

scouse mouse
07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Just asked about this in the review thread! I am so excited to see her come back, I loved her the first time round!

DV1Band
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
I see this ending with Spider-Man shooting her straight in the face with a 9mm...

stillanerd
07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Well, I would imagine that after the initial fight with Stunner, SpOck will be able to convince her that he's really Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body, especially if he starts telling her stuff only Doc Ock would know about her. And if so, that puts Doc Ock in a potential love triangle between himself, Stunner, and Anna Maria Marconi--which would be potentially problematic for Doc Ock if Stunner still is in love with him and could potentially decide to turn against him if she ever found out that he's "two-timing" her.

DV1Band
07-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Nah... He's going to kill her, plain and simple. She's a villain, he's a hero. She has to die.

Rob London
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I see this ending with Spider-Man shooting her straight in the face with a 9mm...

That's just gonna make her mad.

DV1Band
07-10-2013, 12:03 PM
He'll find a way to kill her. It might take a bit, but he'll make it happen...

oldschool
07-10-2013, 01:19 PM
It was announced in the letters pages for Superior Spider-Man #14. (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/10/peter-parker-spider-man-to-be-a-weekly-series-in-october-and-all-flashback/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Stunner will return in a story in a story illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli.

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/IMG_00571.jpg?f6a06b

Not usually a huge fan of Camuncoli but that image looks pretty sweet....

Shockerrules
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Camuncoli just keeps getting better and better.

ngroove
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Well, I would imagine that after the initial fight with Stunner, SpOck will be able to convince her that he's really Doc Ock in Spider-Man's body, especially if he starts telling her stuff only Doc Ock would know about her. And if so, that puts Doc Ock in a potential love triangle between himself, Stunner, and Anna Maria Marconi--which would be potentially problematic for Doc Ock if Stunner still is in love with him and could potentially decide to turn against him if she ever found out that he's "two-timing" her.

Nahhh; it's comics; can never be that simple.

My interpretation of the sketch: she knows Otto Octavius is in Spidey's body, and still on the verge of wantin' to pulp him all the more personal, because he's left her, even if it's out of editorial interests, while she was down; a vegetable, from her self-sacrifice to restore Otto's ingrateful life. Love often does crazy things, probably even crazier if one can lift a car over her head. He better have a pretty darn good explanation....

mumbletaker
07-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Nah... He's going to kill her, plain and simple. She's a villain, he's a hero. She has to die.

He really has no other choice

Monty_Cristo
07-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Anna should become the new (slightly-altered) Stunner.

Xenon
07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Uh-oh. A woman from the 90s is coming back. She's DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

OrpheusTelos
07-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Or maybe both you guys are on the mark. Stunner goes psycho evil ex on Anna and Otto kills her.

Shadowlarvitar
07-10-2013, 06:52 PM
She's probably going to get killed too.

E. Wilson
07-10-2013, 08:07 PM
...you know, I've never thought about it before, (because when was the last time I'd have cause to think of Stunner?), but her MO is one of the few bits of the Carolyn Trainer era that actually became more relevant and less totally ridiculous as internet culture evolved. She's a socially-awkward and physically plain person who uses technology to create an idealized and attractive avatar for herself, which she actually prefers to being in the real world.

Even outside of the connection to Ock, there's a lot that could be done with her character.

Russell
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
...you know, I've never thought about it before, (because when was the last time I'd have cause to think of Stunner?), but her MO is one of the few bits of the Carolyn Trainer era that actually became more relevant and less totally ridiculous as internet culture evolved. She's a socially-awkward and physically plain person who uses technology to create an idealized and attractive avatar for herself, which she actually prefers to being in the real world.

Even outside of the connection to Ock, there's a lot that could be done with her character.

I agree, character had a lot of potential and the connection to Otto makes this even more interesting.

However, she is a female character who hasn't been in it for a while, Slott is writing and the solicit mentions only one appearance so its pretty much guaranteed that she'll be killed. Hope I'm wrong.

Xenon
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Yeah that's a good point.

I agree, character had a lot of potential and the connection to Otto makes this even more interesting.

However, she is a female character who hasn't been in it for a while, Slott is writing and the solicit mentions only one appearance so its pretty much guaranteed that she'll be killed. Hope I'm wrong.

But this.

frizbfrizb
07-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Love that sketch. Looking forward to all the awesomeness coming up. 2099 & Stunner!

Russell
07-11-2013, 04:41 AM
Otto will kill her to show that he's severing all ties to his old life and to show how hard he is, I suspect. Maybe she will threaten Anna or not believe Spidey is Otto now

ViewtifulJC
07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
Obscure female character brought back for a Dan Slott Spidey story? RIP Stunner

oldschool
07-11-2013, 07:48 AM
This got me to thinking about other major adversaries/partners that Otto has had over the years and how cool it would be to see them featured in a Superior story. And I got to thinking about Hammerhead and how they shared a couple of very cool stories during the Conway and Wein eras back in the 1970's----have we seen Hammerhead yet in Superior? If not, that would be a cool story to explore.

DragonPiece
07-11-2013, 07:50 AM
Have you guys noticed every sort of unimportant story or filler is drawn by this guy?

ViewtifulJC
07-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Have you guys noticed every sort of unimportant story or filler is drawn by this guy?

When Dan Slott is the primary writer, it's usually pretty darn good(The Return of the Anti-Venom/The Wraith, the Vulture two-parter, the two-issue Meance return, that Lizard story was the only great story from Slott last year IMO)

when it's got "fill-in" writers, you can tell Slott's focus is on some bigger event and the stories read like padding, or just not up to his standard(the FF in space seemed like a plot they could easily had done in Avenging Spider-Man or whatever it was so bland and unimportant, the Hobgoblin story was pretty meh, this current story ended up as one of the weaker Superior Spider-Man stories yet, IMO).

But yeah, you'll never see Camuncoli on Spider-Island or Ends of the Earth or ASM 700 or whatever the BIG events are with Spidey 2099 and this huge status quo shifting summer event taking over Shadowland...although that could change in October with the rumored Venom/Superior Spidey story comes up in his rotation. I just pray Slott is the sole writer.

He's a solid artist, who's VERY fast(he's always on multiple books), and does his job well, with a great sense of how to stage an action scene, too(out of all the guys adapting the Romita-Spidey after-images to emphasize Spider-Man agility, he's the best of the current bunch), but he rarely gets spoken with the SUPERSTAR ARTIST talk Ramos and new favorite on the block Stegman often get. Camuncoli is kinda the odd man here, the pitch-hitter.

BlitheringToot
07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
My very first Marvel was Spectacular Spider-Man #221, so yeah, I'm kind of a Stunner fan. And, for that matter, even more of a Doctor Octopus fan.

Odds are she's going to die attacking Anna Marie, and I hate that so much. I love both characters, and frankly, I'd like to see Stunner as a semi-recurring villain for Spider-Ock.

Phantom Roxas
07-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Had to look up who Stunner is, but the fact that it's Camuncoli and not Ramos or Stegman makes me interested.

when it's got "fill-in" writers, you can tell Slott's focus is on some bigger event and the stories read like padding, or just not up to his standard(the FF in space seemed like a plot they could easily had done in Avenging Spider-Man or whatever it was so bland and unimportant, the Hobgoblin story was pretty meh, this current story ended up as one of the weaker Superior Spider-Man stories yet, IMO).

Didn't the space plot serve to establish that the Octobots were in the space station, making it play a part in building up to Ends of the Earth?

But yeah, you'll never see Camuncoli on Spider-Island or Ends of the Earth or ASM 700 or whatever the BIG events are with Spidey 2099 and this huge status quo shifting summer event taking over Shadowland...although that could change in October with the rumored Venom/Superior Spidey story comes up in his rotation. I just pray Slott is the sole writer.

Now I remember that Caselli was on the art team before Stegman joined. I'm sad now, because I liked him even more than Camuncoli. The thing is, I think the different artists are on for different things. Even if Camuncoli draws good stories, they're not the "important" ones. Those get the "honor" of being drawn by Ramos, who is obviously Slott's favored artist. As for the Venom story, that isn't a rumor, Slott himself confirmed on Twitter that it's happening. If Venom is simply showing up in the story, then he's going to be the sole writer, but if it's a crossover, Cullen Bunn is working with him.

He's a solid artist, who's VERY fast(he's always on multiple books), and does his job well, with a great sense of how to stage an action scene, too(out of all the guys adapting the Romita-Spidey after-images to emphasize Spider-Man agility, he's the best of the current bunch), but he rarely gets spoken with the SUPERSTAR ARTIST talk Ramos and new favorite on the block Stegman often get. Camuncoli is kinda the odd man here, the pitch-hitter.

Maybe because he's the best artist, they don't need to hype him up as much as the others?

scouse mouse
07-12-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't think Spock is going to want to kill Stunner. I think she is going to wake up somehow and find that Otto is 'dead' and blame Spider-Man and go after him. She will be furious that after her own sacrifice to bring him back he has been taken away again! He may even end up confiding in her who he really is?

alien
07-12-2013, 03:16 AM
when it's got "fill-in" writers, you can tell Slott's focus is on some bigger event and the stories read like padding, or just not up to his standard(the FF in space seemed like a plot they could easily had done in Avenging Spider-Man or whatever it was so bland and unimportant, the Hobgoblin story was pretty meh, this current story ended up as one of the weaker Superior Spider-Man stories yet, IMO). Really, I thought this was the best Superior in 7 months !!! I thought Ramos returned on a disappointing arc, it was basically a sorta sequel/aftermath to Ends of the Earth yet it barely registered as Doc Ock's fault, the "getting rid of ghost Pete" arc was the weakest part of this run, issue 10 was a repeat of issue 1, I thought the return of Massacre and the Spider Slayer were the best SS arcs and both drawn by Camo!!

I agree with this !! Though I felt the same about Caselli yet he always ends up being an all star with Hickman, Camo is drawing SS issue 20, it's considered a major status quo change by Slott himself, just re-read the Big Time arc can't wait to see Black Cat again

Now I remember that Caselli was on the art team before Stegman joined. I'm sad now, because I liked him even more than Camuncoli. The thing is, I think the different artists are on for different things. Even if Camuncoli draws good stories, they're not the "important" ones. Those get the "honor" of being drawn by Ramos, who is obviously Slott's favored artist. As for the Venom story, that isn't a rumor, Slott himself confirmed on Twitter that it's happening. If Venom is simply showing up in the story, then he's going to be the sole writer, but if it's a crossover, Cullen Bunn is working with him.

Maybe because he's the best artist, they don't need to hype him up as much as the others?
I think Ramos is the most eye catching because of his creative designs, Camo is a better storyteller, Stegman has a nice line quality and a nice mix of what the other two have

Dan_Slott
07-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Just to be clear, you think that these status quo changes...

The first time Superior Spider-Man takes a life.
The death of Dr. Ashley Kafka.
Otto/Peter Parker going back to school to get his doctorate.
The introduction of Dr. Lamaze.
The first onscreen appearance and meeting with Anna Maria Marconi.
The death of the Spider-Slayer.
Superior Spider-Man blackmailing Mayor J. Jonah Jameson.
And Superior Spider-Man getting a new base and minions...

...are "filler"?

:-)

Tendrin
07-12-2013, 04:20 AM

...are "filler"?

I think he actually meant to say 'fuller'. <.<

BlitheringToot
07-12-2013, 06:55 AM

...are "filler"?

Don't forget the last-panel reveal of the Green Goblin! I've really enjoyed ALL the artists on SSM so far, even Ramos (who is hit-or-miss for me), but I think Cammo might be my favorite. Although Stegman's "Mad Scientist Peter" in #2 was by far the single best panel of the series.

Dan_Slott
07-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Don't forget the last-panel reveal of the Green Goblin!
THIS!

Seriously. How in the world is THAT "filler?"

Phantom Roxas
07-12-2013, 07:56 AM
I think Ramos is the most eye catching because of his creative designs, Camo is a better storyteller, Stegman has a nice line quality and a nice mix of what the other two have

Yes, Ramos is eye-catching and creative, but not for the right reasons. Stegman is definitely hit or miss for me, though. For example, he draws my favorite rendition of the Superior Spider-Man suit.

DATNIGG
07-12-2013, 08:22 AM
isn't that ocks old x girlfriend?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35816/825757-stunnerspidey4.jpg

Majinoaw
07-12-2013, 08:40 AM
THIS!

I feel like all the issues that came out after Cardiac reappeared are just filler until he comes back again for a major arc.

CMBMOOL
07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
This could be interesting, especially when given how long Stunner has been out of the picture in the Marvel universe.

Darman456
07-12-2013, 11:43 AM
She's probably going to get killed too.

Murderers can't "be redeemed". Remember?

oldschool
07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
I feel like all the issues that came out after Cardiac reappeared are just filler until he comes back again for a major arc.

I don't get that at all. Not even a little bit. I mean, hey, it's your opinion but I really am scratching my head as I don't feel like Slott has taken his foot on the pedal even a wee bit on this story/series; he has been racing at way over the speed limit ever since ASM #698 and I love it!!

Rob London
07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Murderers can't "be redeemed". Remember?

Well, that's fine, because we never saw Stunner kill anybody.

Darman456
07-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, that's fine, because we never saw Stunner kill anybody.

I doubt Ock will not find a reason to kill her regardless.

DV1Band
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
She's going to get killed by Otto. It's just a matter of time. I hope that he gets it over with so that he can finally rid us of Aunt May by snapping her neck, merge with Carnage and then start Superior Spider-Carnage #1...

stillanerd
07-12-2013, 04:41 PM
You know, maybe the whole "SpOck is forced to kill Stunner" theory has some merit considering this particular tweet from Dan Slott (https://twitter.com/DanSlott/statuses/355718650428268544):

My yellow legal pad's out, breaking down the SSM #21 plot from my notes. Hearts will be broken. :'-( #PlottingHatOn #GoingOffTheGrid #SeeYa

Unless, of course, he's actually hinting that it'll be Anna Maria Marconi that dies, thus setting SpOck right back on the path to madness.

Rob London
07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
She's going to get killed by Otto. It's just a matter of time. I hope that he gets it over with so that he can finally rid us of Aunt May by snapping her neck, merge with Carnage and then start Superior Spider-Carnage #1...

It's getting tiresome, man. Maybe you should just...

http://i.imgur.com/RxlnJoV.jpg

DragonPiece
07-12-2013, 08:14 PM
THIS!

Ok you win..maybe I was just thinking Stegman and Ramos kept getting the better stories(like Stegman doing SSM 1-3,9,10 and Ramos doing the big 700) is why I thought that.

Monty_Cristo
07-12-2013, 08:26 PM
You know, maybe the whole "SpOck is forced to kill Stunner" theory has some merit considering this particular tweet from Dan Slott (https://twitter.com/DanSlott/statuses/355718650428268544):

Unless, of course, he's actually hinting that it'll be Anna Maria Marconi that dies, thus setting SpOck right back on the path to madness.

Stunner dying wouldn't really break any hearts. and Anna sticking around after SpOck is gone would be kind of weird.

DragonPiece
07-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Stunner dying wouldn't really break any hearts. and Anna sticking around after SpOck is gone would be kind of weird.

Yeah, I wouldn't really cry for her dying.

Doctor Superior
07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Ooooh, what upcoming drama this could bring. That's a great cover.

Tendrin
07-12-2013, 11:03 PM

Well, let's remember that Slott referred to a moment in #8 that would 'break a lot of hearts' too. So it may not be what anyone thinks. And probably won't be. :)

I think Otto is going to be Spider-Man a lot longer than anyone anticipates.

DV1Band
07-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Well, let's remember that Slott referred to a moment in #8 that would 'break a lot of hearts' too. So it may not be what anyone thinks. And probably won't be. :)

I think Otto is going to be Spider-Man a lot longer than anyone anticipates.

Otto is Spider-Man, so of course he's going to be Spider-Man for as long as anyone anticipates. Spider-Man is a popular character, and will probably never go out of print...

JGC
07-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Gotta give kudos to Camuncoli - that's an awsome cover! His best work yet!

Tigereyes
08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Maybe she'll be come Otto's "Black Cat"??

namor
08-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Anna will be thrown off the George Washington Bridge by the Goblin King.

There...I said it.

beserkerclaw
08-09-2013, 08:30 PM
that will be cool

arachne_azure
08-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Nahhh; it's comics; can never be that simple.

...Love often does crazy things, probably even crazier if one can lift a car over her head. He better have a pretty darn good explanation....

People of the Spider Man and CBR board, In leiu of a good explanation Peter/Otto offer up Conway Twitty :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1QRtcWdEY

Seto Kaiba
08-11-2013, 10:52 AM
That's a kick ass cover. I'm guessing that she wants revenge on Spidey for killing Doc Ock. At least in the eyes of the public. She'll probably find out by the end of the arc. As someone pointed out, I could see her becoming his "Black Cat". Depends on how his relationship with Anna develops.

Darthfury78
08-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Uh-oh. A woman from the 90s is coming back. She's DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Stunner vs She-Hulk.

Stunner and Titania become allies.

Will.S
08-11-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm glad she's back, there have been a lot of underutilized 90's villains.

Ravin' Ray
08-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Great. Another "woman in the fridge" moment. :eek:

BottomsUp
08-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Great. Another "woman in the fridge" moment. :eek:

Surely, a relatively small freezer would do the trick here and the body will keep for much longer!

JunctionCityComics
08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I can't see Slott bringing back a relatively unknown 90s character and then killing her as a useful story point, except for maybe showing readers that if someone figures it out he'll kill them. I feel like she can be better utilized...(time to go and read my Scarlet Spider back issues)

Darthfury78
08-12-2013, 01:27 PM
This could be interesting, especially when given how long Stunner has been out of the picture in the Marvel universe.

If Stunner can make a comeback, so too can Robin Vega!!!

whiteshark
08-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Interesting,Stunner had not apeared for years.
But with the focus of the stories being in Otto it makes sense that Stunner return to the stories.
It is easy to guess that Stunner will try to revenge Doctor Octopus "death",i just wonder if Spock will reveal his secret identity to her.

infernohara
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking she'll become a shady ally. At some point, Ock will have to make some anti heroic friends just like Peter normally would have actual heroic friends of. I'm not seeing her dying unless shes a direct threat to the community. Shes a bit more invested than that crazy gun guy and Smythe. Even if he did kill her and I highly suggest he won't, it would be really hard for him.

deadboy80
09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Stunners return recreates the love triangle for peter-Otto/Spideyock. No way they kill her or she kills Oxidation new girlfriend. This will prove interesting. and fun.

Quasar's Bands
10-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Interesting,Stunner had not apeared for years.
But with the focus of the stories being in Otto it makes sense that Stunner return to the stories.
It is easy to guess that Stunner will try to revenge Doctor Octopus "death",i just wonder if Spock will reveal his secret identity to her.

It appears from the preview of Issue #20 that Stunner came out of her coma at the moment that Peter left Octopus's Body AND the moment that Julia Carpenter (Madam Web) came out of her own self-induced coma. (and immediatly after Norman's comatose body jumped out of bed and fled the hospital). There were a lot of coma patients at that hospital!

preppistonpav
10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
If Stunner can make a comeback, so too can Robin Vega!!!

Darth, I'm totally with you on this one. I liked the storyline involving her, Paul Stacy, the Shocker, and the Friends of Humanity. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing her reappear. She had a cool look.

-Pav, who thought she'd make a good addition to the Slingers cast back in the day...

Sean Walsh
10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
This was a really nice surprise to learn of. Slott's not disappointed so remembering this piece of Spidey/Ock history was well-played.

What was her last appearance? When Ock was brought back by the Hand, or something since?

Maybe she'll be come Otto's "Black Cat"??

And an issue after Black Cat shows up, no less. Heh.

Pako
10-28-2013, 01:39 PM
The last people saw of Stunner was after Ock was resurrected, in a coma where supposedly Ock would visit her daily. I think.

Doesn't Stunner know Spider-Man's identity from seeing him unmasked ?