PDA

View Full Version : Fill in artists

CaptainBarbel
02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Fill in artists allow the issues to come out on time. But sometimes they are nowhere as good as the main ones. I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman 5 and 6 as much because the art wasn't as good as Chiang's. the preview of Aquaman 6 features art that is 2 steps down from Ivan Reis's. It's not all misses though; Animal Man 6 featured a great fill in artist, and on Action Comics Andy Kubert was in his usual fantastic form.

How do you rate the fill in artists overall?

MajorHoy
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Fill in artists allow the issues to come out on time. But sometimes they are nowhere as good as the main ones. I didn't enjoy Wonder Woman 5 and 6 as much because the art wasn't as good as Chiang's. the preview of Aquaman 6 features art that is 2 steps down from Ivan Reis's. It's not all misses though; Animal Man 6 featured a great fill in artist, and on Action Comics Andy Kubert was in his usual fantastic form.

How do you rate the fill in artists overall?

Too many of them with different levels of effectiveness to just give a blanket rating.

It IS disappointing that they felt the need to schedule so many of them in just six issues or less, though. Just another thing that makes DC look like it really rushed things without taking the time to do this whole New 52 thing right.

Reginleif
02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Good Fill-Ins:

BoP guy for last couple of issues, awesomely done

Bad Fill-Ins:

Green Lantern guy this month (It was so different, he didnt even try to make it the same)
Tony Akins for WW

I have no other opinions

Johnny P. Sartre
02-16-2012, 08:01 PM
I really enjoyed Tony on WW, there were times were he lacked a bit but overall he was great

andybmcd
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Swamp Thing and Birds of Prey had excellent fill-ins. I doubt people even noticed much change in Swamp Thing.

Roldan
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't know. Marcio Takara is doing a fill-in issue of Green Lantern and that sounds awesome. So does Ig Guara on Teen Titans.

WhitOro
02-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Some good, some bad, some better than the actual one.

Alex Decay
02-17-2012, 12:29 AM

It would be a 0, but every now and then, you get titles like Wonder Woman where the fill-in artist is actually better.

paulski
02-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Oooooo-kay... :eek:

Anyway...

Swamp Thing and Birds of Prey had excellent fill-ins. I doubt people even noticed much change in Swamp Thing.

Oh, I did, trust me. But that's only because I love Paquette's artwork so much. And yeah, Rudy did an exceptionally fine job as his replacement.

Reginleif
02-17-2012, 07:47 AM

It would be a 0, but every now and then, you get titles like Wonder Woman where the fill-in artist is actually better.

excuse me? Are we talking about Tony Akins?

Thoctar
02-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Woah, crazy. I did NOT feel that way about Akins. I can't wait to get Chiang back. I do agree that we occassionally get superior artists in fill-in, but even good artists can be a jarring difference in the middle of a continuous story. I was cool with Kubert in Action, though--his legionnaires are the best.

BrotherUnitNo_4
02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't know. Marcio Takara is doing a fill-in issue of Green Lantern and that sounds awesome. So does Ig Guara on Teen Titans.

Guara should be the lead artist on Titans, then I'd definitely be willing to give it a look. I can't stand Booth.

theXfactor
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I relly like Tony Akins on WW, his art is very different from Chiang's, but he manages to keep the book's style, I think he's a great fit.
Another great fill-in artist is Javier Pina, I barely noticed the art change.
Action Comics is also handling this well, both artists have very different styles, but they drew VERY different kind of stories, so it worked.
Amy Reeder is also awesome on Batwoman Rudy on Swamp Thing, Leon on Animal Man... I have to I'm very happy with most of the fill-ins. The only one I really disliked so far was Green Lantern's. I usually like Mike Choi's art, but it is way too different from Mahnke's and the coloring was extremely amateurish.

Den
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I wonder if they shouldn't schedule fill in artists before hand as a routine. By that, I mean "Our plan is to have a fill in artist do every 6th issue" or so on. This gives the regular artist a break (or maybe a head start on the next one?) and also informs the readers before hand so there's no surprise.

It might even be a good way to introduce an artist new to the biz and let fan response dictate if he should get more chances.

CagedLeo730
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Fill-in artists will always be a necessity for this day and age of comics. No one can do 3 books like Kirby does especially if they want the art to be good. Rob Liefeld was doing 2 books at a time, so that's moot. Art has improved over time and so have tastes. IMO Kirby stuff would look boring compared to now. Some fill-ins are scheduled while other happen due to life happening (Jim Lee and Mahmud Asrar welcomed new babies into their families). Artists are not slaves chained to a desk.