PDA

View Full Version : Zolo vs Robin, Robin, Robin, Robin & Robin

Frostbite883
02-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Zolo (One Piece) vs Robin (YJ cartoon), Robin (Batman: TAS),
Robin (The Batman), Robin (ATT) & Robin (TBaTB)

The random encounter and the battle will occur in Avengers Tower (in it's current state).

Zolo and the Robins have access to all their weapons, but
they can't use stuff that's the Avengers have inside their pad.

What happens?

The Drunkard Kid
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Zoro/Zolo. Heck, animated Superman does not want to be on the receiving end of one of Zoro's stronger attacks, and none of the Robins are even a tenth of Zoro's speed or durability.

FalconX2000
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
You'd need One Piece's Robin to turn this in favour of the Robins. Otherwise, Zolo blitz steamrolls them all. None of the Robins come close to Zolo's speed or damage output, and none of their gadgets have the power to do more than annoy him even if they do manage to tag him with them.

Dark Soul # 7
02-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Zoro blitzes the f*** out of them and cuts them to shreds.

That's what happens.

Vaiyt
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM
"Zolo", being retarded like nearly everything 4kids put their hands on, loses.

Zoro, on the other hand, blitzes all Robins. The question is how many swords he's going to use.

FalconX2000
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM

Zoro, on the other hand, blitzes all Robins. The question is how many swords he's going to use.

Bah, Zoro could take this fight barehanded. With one hand.

Cthulhu_of_R'yleh
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Just so he could rub his foot in it, I'd like to say over 9000

Hiromi
02-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I've never understood the Zolo name, Oda had already published that Zoro was the proper spelling before the manga had begun publishing in America(it was a LOOOONG ways behind, also 4kids didn't start that, Viz started it when it began publishing the manga in English), and they still just ran with it. And the anime dubs came out several years after that. Its spelled differently than Zorro as well so I don't see where it would come into copyright conflicts. Plus Zolo sounds retarded.

Guicho
02-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I've never understood the Zolo name, Oda had already published that Zoro was the proper spelling before the manga had begun publishing in America(it was a LOOOONG ways behind, also 4kids didn't start that, Viz started it when it began publishing the manga in English), and they still just ran with it. And the anime dubs came out several years after that. Its spelled differently than Zorro as well so I don't see where it would come into copyright conflicts. Plus Zolo sounds retarded.

I think it started around the time SONY (a much bigger corporation) licensed the property from the smaller Zorro Productions Inc.
SONY were probably much more stringent in protecting their newly acquired licensed character and trademark.

While it's obvious the two characters have more differences than similarities, especially as the story continues, that Oda once made visual and thematic homages to the classic Zorro is obvious.

The name which obviously looks similar and sounds the same.
The wanted outlaw swordsman's theme, preceded by a reputation of terrifying supernatural abilities.
The trademark dark bandanna which he puts on specifically when going into battle, which casts a perfect mask like shadow around his eyes, clearlly an homage.
The three swords three slashes shtick.
There's also parallels in their intro, Oda's Zoro is the greatest swordsman outlaw, wanted for protecting an oppressed town, living in fear from an iron-fisted military rule. That's how the character is first set up.
Oda makes no bones about pulling easily recognizable references from popular culture.

I don't think any one of those common themes alone are enough for a lawsuit, probably not, but put all together with the name, it'd be up to a judge to decide if it came to that.
The prospect of potentially being dragged into a costly legal battle with SONY, may have been enough to sway Viz to change the name.

I remember this letter response someone posted on toonzone back then..

Viz is proud of the fact that we publish /only/ Japanese manga and we
try our best to stay true to the characters, names, places and
storylines while translating, but must adhere to the laws in the United
States. In the case of Roronoa Zoro's name being changed to Roronoa
Zolo
in ONE PIECE, the name was changed due to legal and trademark issues
here in the U.S. that are not pertinent in Japan.

We hope that answers your question, and you understand that we try our
best to stay true to the Japanese version of the manga when
translating.

Although they don't name Zorro or SONY specifically, they did change the name around that time. Make of it what you will.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/--iaE_Zg0yBA/TpTvGFpqMBI/AAAAAAAACoc/rnsXQtnprqQ/s1600/argosy_all_story_weekly_19220506.jpg Also the second Zorro tale was a pirate adventure, where Zorro sets to the high seas in persuit of a ship and takes on the whole pirate crew whose made off with a treasure.
Look at the spelling of his name, since they would sound exactly the same it really can be easily confused.

The same story retold in the 80's I swaped one thing on the cover - http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg857/scaled.php?server=857&filename=zorroandthepirates.jpg&res=medium

Fast
02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm trying to remember if Zoro was weak enough for this team to beat even in his first few issues. IIRC he cut through a buggyball? No that sounds wrong cause he couldn't cut through steel and even then Buggyballs were really explosive. He did have impressive durability even way back than (and being starved for days)...

Damn now I'm gonna go back and read those just to see what feats he had at the time