PDA

View Full Version : How many humans does Namor like/respect?

Lee-Sensei
01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
I was just wondering. So far I've got:

Invisible Woman

Doctor Doom

Black Panther

The Scarlet Sapien
01-21-2012, 01:00 PM
I think he likes Doc Strange, and Steve Rogers

UKFan
01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
I was just wondering. So far I've got:

Invisible Woman

Doctor Doom

Black Panther

I'd add Captain America, and that'd be about it....

The Shogun
01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Bucky im not sure of his last name

Mr. Rice
01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
He loooves Emma. Doesn't he respect both Cyclops and Mr. Incredible? I know he doesn't respect Cyclops a lot, because he's harping on his woman, but he's given him credit for protecting his people.

Mr. Rice
Bucky im not sure of his last name

Barnes. Alliteration. Bucky Barnes.

josh straightedge
Emma's a dirty mutie.

1derer
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
And Mrs. Richards is a mutate, so not human either right? Because apparently in the MU the only criteria for being a separate race is small genetic differences.

The Shogun
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
I guess the OP should have made the title what surface dwellers does namor respect to make it easier.

Songbird/Diamondback
01-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Loa? :confused:

XPac
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I suspect he respects a lot more of his peers than he lets on. In fact I think he respects most of them.

But as far as likes... Cap, Invisible Woman, and Dr. Doom are probably the only people on the short list. Maybe Hulk DEEP DEEP DEEP down.

Edit... I think Namora and Namorita are givens. Probably Marina too, though I'm not sure how he'd feel about Marina 2.0.

The Black Guardian
01-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think he respects Cyclops much, even as a ruler. He's always making snide remarks about Cyclops' plans or lack thereof. He just knows that other people respect Cyclops. Were it not for Emma, I don't think he'd have anything to do with Utopia.

He respects Strange's abilities, but not really the man, himself.

XPac
01-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't think he respects Cyclops much, even as a ruler. He's always making snide remarks about Cyclops' plans or lack thereof. He just knows that other people respect Cyclops. Were it not for Emma, I don't think he'd have anything to do with Utopia.

Truthfully, I think the fact that he is making moves on Scotts woman sort of indicates how much he respects Scott as a person.

Just as a comparrison... I have trouble imagining Namor putting the moves on Sharon Carter (or Diamondback or whoever Steve just happened to be dating).

Lee-Sensei
01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I guess the OP should have made the title what surface dwellers does namor respect to make it easier.

Yes. I should have. That's what I meant.

BrotherUnitNo_4
01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
How does Namor feel about Magneto?

You'd think they'd see eye-to-eye on quite a few things.

BrotherUnitNo_4
01-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Just as a comparrison... I have trouble imagining Namor putting the moves on Sharon Carter (or Diamondback or whoever Steve just happened to be dating).

I'd think Steve is pretty much character numero uno on Namor's list since they go way back.

Huthaifa
01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
CAP
BUCKY/WINTER SOLDIER
HULK
BP
and Blondes:biggrin:

Omegastorm
01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
He respects Storm.

o

Ravin' Ray
01-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Betty Dean Prentiss. They were almost an item.

FrenchGemini
01-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Matt F***ing Murdock. Since Daredevil 7 vol.1.

josh straightedge
01-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Matt F***ing Murdock. Since Daredevil 7 vol.1.

I would hope he respects the handicap. Otherwise, what a dick move!

sportsguy831
01-21-2012, 02:28 PM
i have not seen anything for norman osborne he hates him but definitely respects him in fact he respected all of the goblins cabal except taskmaster (b lister tops) and hood (see taskmaster)

XPac
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
i have not seen anything for norman osborne he hates him but definitely respects him in fact he respected all of the goblins cabal except taskmaster (b lister tops) and hood (see taskmaster)

Actually, I sort of got the vibe that most of the Cabal disrespected Osborn (except Taskmaster and maybe Hood).

The Black Guardian
01-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, there is no way Namor has an ounce of respect for Osborn, especially after what he did. Osborn used his bouncer to threaten Namor into joining his Cabal. Namor agreed, because he knew Osborn would destroy himself in the end.

Specimen 297
01-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Cap and Bucky, obviously.

Despite a rivalry, and initially being enemies, he pretty much likes/respects The Torch (the original, not that F4 loser!).

He doesn't entirely look down on most his fellow Invaders. The Union Jacks, Spitfire, Toro, Blazing Skull, Destroyer, Whizzer, Miss America and the two replacement Captain Americas and replacement Bucky (who in Kesel's Patriot mini we see he grows to respect).

He also spoke of admiring Winston Churchill in some issues of the Invaders.

Songbird/Diamondback
01-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Why nobody says Loa?

She likes Ice cream and is awesome and so cuddly looking.

Mr. Rice
01-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Someone mentioned Magneto. They seem to have pretty good banter together.

Also, I'd say Namor ragging on Scott is more a sign of respect than anything.

FrenchGemini
01-22-2012, 03:28 AM
I would hope he respects the handicap. Otherwise, what a dick move!

It's not so much the handicap than the fact that DD kept coming back to fight him in spite of the obvious curbstomp battle. :biggrin:

BrotherUnitNo_4
01-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Someone mentioned Magneto. They seem to have pretty good banter together.

I figured they would.

Hero of Shadows
01-22-2012, 07:24 AM
All of the Fantastic Four but each one for different reasons.

All of the Invaders he served with in WWII with Steve being upfront because every writer feels that if they don't write him as "the best leader, the most charismatic and honest" they're OOC.

Doom, Namor's "evil friend".

T'Chala, Namor's "good friend".

Hercules, Namor gave a very fine speech at his funeral.

Rosebunse
01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Actually, I sort of got the vibe that most of the Cabal disrespected Osborn (except Taskmaster and maybe Hood).

Yeah, I got the feeling that Doom, Loki, Emma, and Namor were in it -besides from Emma trying to keep the X-Men in a good position, Loki's bizarrely convoluted suicide plot, Namor going after Emma, and Doom just being Doom who likes teaming up with Namor and Loki when he gets the chance-mostly because they all realized that they had front-row seats to the funniest break-down ever.

But, definitely, Namor respects Captain America, and maybe Storm and Susan Richards...maybe Doom. They do seem to team up a lot.

Vic Vega
01-22-2012, 10:40 AM
I think Namor got on with Bucky even more than he did with Cap.

But its a fairly short list.

Not counting Sue and Emma (and any other Blonds that he is jonesing for).

The surviving Invaders, the core Defenders (Namor didn't like Hellcat and Nighthawk as much as he tolerated them), Doctor Doom and Black Panther.

Im not sure how much respect Namor has for Reed Richards, considering he constantly hits on the man's wife.

He seems to like the rest of the F.F. well enough.

The Shogun
01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
http://manicdote.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/namor_06_doom_panel.jpg

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/28242/1512879-brofist_of_doom.png

Nuff said :biggrin:

Jess C.H.
01-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Six or seven......tops.

Zagreus
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I'd say:

Doom
Captain America
Emma Frost
Silver Surfer
Hulk
Doctor Strange
Invisible Woman
Namora

He respects strong personalities and integrity. Richards he sees as neglecting his wife and maybe as having his head too much into his science and not enough in the real world. Strange annoys him at times with his mystic blather but he seems to respect him in general, Doom's morals are different than his- but this doesn't bother Namor overly much if it doesn't conflict with his goals or objectives, Captain America he respects but probably views as a bit naive, he respects the Hulk but views his "mental problem" as a weakness... etc. I kind of see Namor like House, M.D.- he sees your personality flaw, and will tell you it to your face. (Unless you're a hot woman he wants to bed, then he can be charming...)

themortalfist
01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
What about Danny Rand, Iron Fist? They have a long history together. In fact, the Fist owes his life to Namor. But other than Cap, I can never figure out who Namor likes.

Zagreus
01-22-2012, 05:10 PM
What about Danny Rand, Iron Fist? They have a long history together. In fact, the Fist owes his life to Namor. But other than Cap, I can never figure out who Namor likes.

I don't think Namor is all that big on personal friendships, actually, so this makes sense. If he's the kind of guy who's going to call you on your deepest personality flaw, right to your face, it's going to be hard to hang with the guy and have a pizza.

So, he doesn't have FRIENDS. He has subjects, allies, royal retainers, lovers... but not buddies. He might occasionally have some comaraderie on the field of battle, but he's not going to be joining the Avengers weekly poker game any time soon... or the Defenders for that matter (not that the Defenders are that kind of team.) He's not that kind of person. Anyway, that's my take on him.

whiteshark
01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Captain America.
Invisible Woman.
Doctor Strange.
Valkyre.

Kaim
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Toro could probably count. Namor described being witness to his death as an honour.

Venomous Mask
01-22-2012, 08:12 PM
The real answer: None! Imperius Rex!

Rheged
01-23-2012, 03:57 AM
I don't think Namor is all that big on personal friendships, actually, so this makes sense. If he's the kind of guy who's going to call you on your deepest personality flaw, right to your face, it's going to be hard to hang with the guy and have a pizza.

So, he doesn't have FRIENDS. He has subjects, allies, royal retainers, lovers... but not buddies. He might occasionally have some comaraderie on the field of battle, but he's not going to be joining the Avengers weekly poker game any time soon... or the Defenders for that matter (not that the Defenders are that kind of team.) He's not that kind of person. Anyway, that's my take on him.

Mostly this. He's an absolute monarch, I don't think he sees personal relationships quite the same as most heroes. I think Betty Dean Prentiss was probably the closest he had to a friend that he 'hung out' with.

Namor encountered evil Magneto twice, and I can't remember if he met the Claremont Magneto, until recently. But if he didn't, he really shouldn't be all that chummy with Magneto. He did hold both Susan Richards and Lady Dorma hostage against him, and stole his Atlantean army temporarily, amongst other things.

I'd think Steve is pretty much character numero uno on Namor's list since they go way back.

His relationship with Cap seems to change, depending on the writers and how they want to portray Cap. Of course, that's to be expected, since his WWII relationship with Cap is mostly a retcon. Namor's WWII buddy in the Golden Age was Torch.

IIRC, Rogers certainly hasn't lifted a finger to help Namor or interact with him since he came back. He even was going to leave him on his own in the Negative Zone, to get his new bud Cyke, and Hope out.

Stingray, Walt Newell, and his wife, Diane Arliss Newell, are two other air breathers that Namor seems to trust -- especially Diane.

XPac
01-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Mostly this. He's an absolute monarch, I don't think he sees personal relationships quite the same as most heroes. I think Betty Dean Prentiss was probably the closest he had to a friend that he 'hung out' with.

Namor encountered evil Magneto twice, and I can't remember if he met the Claremont Magneto, until recently. But if he didn't, he really shouldn't be all that chummy with Magneto. He did hold both Susan Richards and Lady Dorma hostage against him, and stole his Atlantean army temporarily, amongst other things.

His relationship with Cap seems to change, depending on the writers and how they want to portray Cap. Of course, that's to be expected, since his WWII relationship with Cap is mostly a retcon. Namor's WWII buddy in the Golden Age was Torch.

IIRC, Rogers certainly hasn't lifted a finger to help Namor or interact with him since he came back. He even was going to leave him on his own in the Negative Zone, to get his new bud Cyke, and Hope out.

Stingray, Walt Newell, and his wife, Diane Arliss Newell, are two other air breathers that Namor seems to trust -- especially Diane.

I don't think any writer has really shown Steve and Namor not being friends (or at least the closest equivalent to a friend). Yeah, they don't hang out... but Namor doesn't do that with anyone. Frankly Cap isn't really shown to do that either.

Iron Maiden
01-23-2012, 07:08 AM
I think his relationships can be very fluid depending on the circumstances. I think most of the time Namor respects Reed in spite of the little outburst about Sue during one of the Illuminati meetings. Twice he played a role in helping out Reed in his family relationships IIRC. When Reed came back from his exile in time orchestrated by Hyperstorm, he was a a state of despair and lacked confidence. Namor purposely picked a fight with him and had him to help Reed out. That is something that you would think only a friend would do. Of course, he also could have done in more for Sue than for Reed. IMO despite all his overtures over the years, I think he respects Sue for the loyalty she has displayed to Reed. Namor respects that she made the choice, even if he doesn't believe that Reed was the best choice for Sue :wink:

With Doom, it depends on what their goals are. In "Revolution" I think Namor accepted Doom's counsel because their style of governance is similar. Neither would accept anyone dictating terms to them and I think Doom would actually approve and admire Namor's use of sleeper cells. The fall out from Civil War even reached their kingdoms and neither of them took kindly to the interference. As a result, Namor also more willing to accept Doom as an ally and co-conspirator within the Cabal. Unfortunately, we never saw them plan anything together once Namor was assigned to the X titles.

Monty_Cristo
01-23-2012, 11:10 AM

Namor seems wary of him.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq300/carlaverock/N%20Scans/X-Men/UXM519_1_crop.jpg

AcesX1X
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM
misty knight and colleen wing were friends with namor in his 90s series. i don't think that has changed.

doctor strange is a given. namor tolerates stingray. the incredible hulk is namor's pet. he has gotten along well with iron fist in the past.

others: emma, steve rogers, cyclops, bucky, dr. doom (his bestie), loa, susan richards, t'challa, storm.

namor is also good friends with triton of the inhumans.

NickFury90
01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm gonna throw all the original Invaders, Steve Rogers, Jim Hammond, they're respective sidekicks in Bucky and Toro, even Union Jack and Spitfire. Although even when's happy to see them, he's still a bit of a dick, speaking in double negatives and such.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/433310886_7b63f218f1_o.jpg

AcesX1X
01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
oh, yes. i forgot about spitfire. it was in his book where jacqueline got her youth back. and yes, jim hammond as well, i suppose.

KurtW95
01-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Humans
Union Jack
Bucky Barnes
Fred Davis
William Nalsund
Leonard McKenzie (His Father)

Mutates and Mutants
Susan Storm
Steve Rogers
Thomas Raymond
Emma Frost
Spitfire

TanGent
01-23-2012, 12:39 PM
He respects Jimmy Woo too.(more so than he does Cyclops or Emma according to X-Men VS Agents of Atlas)

squashmaster
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Hulk. And Surfer.

Malevolent1
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
He seems to respect his old Defender buddies...I heard somone mention Sue Richards...I seemed to remember Sue had (has?) the hots for Namor?

At any rate, Namor has high regard, and is a very close friend with Adam Brashear (The Blue Marvel).

AcesX1X
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
At any rate, Namor has high regard, and is a very close friend with Adam Brashear (The Blue Marvel).

interested to find out where this story is told.

Rheged
01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
interested to find out where this story is told.

It's in one of the Blue Marvel mini-series issues, #3, I think. He's on the cover. Another retcon, but I liked how it showed Namor has experienced as much racism as Blue Marvel.

Rheged
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
He respects Jimmy Woo too.(more so than he does Cyclops or Emma according to X-Men VS Agents of Atlas)

I'm gonna throw all the original Invaders, Steve Rogers, Jim Hammond, they're respective sidekicks in Bucky and Toro, even Union Jack and Spitfire. Although even when's happy to see them, he's still a bit of a dick, speaking in double negatives and such.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/433310886_7b63f218f1_o.jpg

I LOVED Bru's take on Namor and Bucky. Forget Cap and Hawkeye, I'd buy a Bucky and Namor team up book! I hope we get to see them together again in Winter Soldier, but I get the feeling that Bru isn't all that interested in writing Namor.
Ah, yes. Jimmy Woo. He did have some kind words for him. Of course, that was before Woo started macking on Namora. :tongue:

dupersuper
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
He seemed to get on with Rom ok by the end of their team up in Roms book. I'd go with the obvious ones though: Cap, Black Panther, FF, original Human Torch, etc.