PDA

View Full Version : Books-A-Million Dirt Cheap Trades

Jake Fury
01-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Anybody else noticed the in store sales BAM has been doing on some of their Marvel trades? In the last few months I've bought several trades for extremely low prices. Their pricing strategy seems to follow the rule of anything $20 & under (cover price) sells for $5 and anything over goes for $10.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Books-A-Million.

Ari Gold
01-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've seen it mentioned in the Omnibus & Hardcover thread on these boards, but the 2 times I checked the local BAM there weren't any . . .

Jake Fury
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I've seen it mentioned in the Omnibus & Hardcover thread on these boards, but the 2 times I checked the local BAM there weren't any . . .

They're usually in a separate section than the rest of the trades...good luck.

josh straightedge
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
None of this is available online, right?

Jake Fury
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
None of this is available online, right?

Unfortunately, no. I've seen a wide variety of books at different stores. They don't seem to follow any kind of pattern. I've been to 5-6 stores in my local area.

Iron Maiden
01-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I got Fantastic Four: the End for $4.97 and noticed there were a lot of smaller collected series for that price. It was nuts after Christmast so I will visit the store again. It's the first in my area and took over a Borders site.

Jake Fury
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
The store I went to last night had a buy 2 get the 3rd free sale. I got Immortal Iron Fist Vol 1, Daughters of the Dragon & Beta Ray Bill:Godbreaker for under $10.

Mr. Rice
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I found some great deals. I think they're just trying to get rid of some excess stock. It started as a "summer deal" but I guess they've got no reason to end it if they're just trying to get rid of stuff. I've seen a couple omnibuses (omnibi?) and picked up two thirds of Grant Morrison's X-Men run for twenty bucks, and X-Men: The Twelve for ten.

Jake Fury
01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I got Superman: Birthright for $5 at lunch.

OBrianTallent
01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Birthright has been the only DC book that I recall seeing at BaM (which I also bought!) Other than that, I've picked up quite a few: 2 Thunderbolts HCs, an Avengers Initiative, Hercules, X-Men Siege, a Black Widow HC, and at least two others that I can't think of at the moment.

DonEMC
01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I found some great deals. I think they're just trying to get rid of some excess stock. It started as a "summer deal" but I guess they've got no reason to end it if they're just trying to get rid of stuff. I've seen a couple omnibuses (omnibi?) and picked up two thirds of Grant Morrison's X-Men run for twenty bucks, and X-Men: The Twelve for ten.

Are you SURE you've found omnibuses in the BARGAIN books section? I've been to several of the BAMs and none have any omnibuses. These all came from the Diamond pallet of MARVEL TPBs, OHCs and HCs sale and I know for certain there were NO omnibuses offered through that sale. Honestly, if you know a retailer, you, too, could get in on buying a pallet. It's a good way to get CHEAP TPBs and such for just a fraction of what you'll pay at BAM for them as BARGAIN books.

otipep_90
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Does anyone know if Borders or B&N are doing something similar?

DonEMC
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Borders closed down a few months back and B&N aren't doing any type of bargain Marvel book sale. It's just BAM.

E. Wilson
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM

B&N has had graphic novels in their bargain department in the past, but nothing with any consistency that I've seen.

Borders is pushing up daisies. (Disclaimer: I do work for Books A Million.)

And like I said in the Omnibus thread, we can't order the Bargain graphic novels (or any Bargain book); we just get the overstock that the warehouse sends us. So, if you see something you like, grab it, because it may not ever be coming back. We usually get two-to-three cases of bargain Marvel every two-to-three months.

Titles I've seen include multiple OHC of the Civil War tie-ins, OHC of Annihilation titles, the Secret Invasion OHC, and a whole slew of Premiere HC's and regular TPB's. The biggest pricetag I've seen on any of them is $9.97. Happy hunting!

DonEMC
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
B&N has had graphic novels in their bargain department in the past, but nothing with any consistency that I've seen.

Borders is pushing up daisies. (Disclaimer: I do work for Books A Million.)

And like I said in the Omnibus thread, we can't order the Bargain graphic novels (or any Bargain book); we just get the overstock that the warehouse sends us. So, if you see something you like, grab it, because it may not ever be coming back. We usually get two-to-three cases of bargain Marvel every two-to-three months.

Titles I've seen include multiple OHC of the Civil War tie-ins, OHC of Annihilation titles, the Secret Invasion OHC, and a whole slew of Premiere HC's and regular TPB's. The biggest pricetag I've seen on any of them is $9.97. Happy hunting!

My BAM has the Spider-Man Vault at $24.97, which is the highest in the bargain graphic novels section. I DO NOT think it came in with the trades, hardcovers and OHCs that we're discussing here, though.

E. Wilson
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
My BAM has the Spider-Man Vault at $24.97, which is the highest in the bargain graphic novels section. I DO NOT think it came in with the trades, hardcovers and OHCs that we're discussing here, though.

I haven't seen the Spidey Vault come into our bargain section, but we did get the Marvel Vault a year or so back, and it came in with regular Bargain shipment. So, you're most likely right, and your local store just made the totally logical merchandising decision to put it in with the graphic novels.

(Other stores might have it in the "Entertainment" bargain section, which is where we put the Marvel Vault when we had it in stock.)

DonEMC
01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
I haven't seen the Spidey Vault come into our bargain section, but we did get the Marvel Vault a year or so back, and it came in with regular Bargain shipment. So, you're most likely right, and your local store just made the totally logical merchandising decision to put it in with the graphic novels.

(Other stores might have it in the "Entertainment" bargain section, which is where we put the Marvel Vault when we had it in stock.)

I bought a couple of the Marvel Vaults for, like, $9.97 each and I traded them away for $50 each.

Squallid Snake
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
There are no Books-a-million in New England, to my knowledge. Our local borders shut down and all we have is B&N now, here in RI/Mass

Mr. Rice
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Are you SURE you've found omnibuses in the BARGAIN books section? I've been to several of the BAMs and none have any omnibuses. These all came from the Diamond pallet of MARVEL TPBs, OHCs and HCs sale and I know for certain there were NO omnibuses offered through that sale. Honestly, if you know a retailer, you, too, could get in on buying a pallet. It's a good way to get CHEAP TPBs and such for just a fraction of what you'll pay at BAM for them as BARGAIN books.

No, at my BooksaMillion, the cheap marvel trades are with the rest of the trades, and tried to keep in their own section, but many get mixed up, making the search through shelves even more enjoyable.

I've looked it up, and what I saw, while both hardcover and thick, was not omnibuses; sorry for the confusion. They were those Civil War hardcovers collecting all the issues involving the Fantastic Four. So, not omnibuses, but the same amount of content at an extremely low price, none-the-less.

And I understand buying direct from the distributor.