PDA

View Full Version : CBR: Gluckstern On "The Fury Of Firestorm" Rumors & Secrets

CBR News
11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
"The Fury Of Firestorm" editor Rachel Gluckstern spoke with CBR News about the secrets revealed in the series third issue, revelations that will shake the Firestorm universe and affect the DCU as a whole.

Full article here (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35607).

DonC
11-25-2011, 02:17 PM
CBR: Finally, for a while there were rumors that Gail would be leaving "Firestorm" after issue seven. Right now, it seems like both Gail and Ethan have big things planned all the way through to next year -- will there be any creative team changes after issue seven?

Gluckstern: I will just say there are huge plans, solid plans, and everybody's working on all cylinders. If there is ever anything else to announce, we will be announcing hardcore! I'm just so excited to be a part of this team, and I think issue three is going to really throw a big wrench in the works for everybody and be a really fun read. I hope people pick it up!

Interesting that she doesn't deny Gail Simone leaving the book.

Skaddix
11-25-2011, 02:29 PM
I noticed that as well. Although I am not sure what DC's policy is on confirming such stuff.

Flashpoint
11-25-2011, 02:40 PM
The whole problem with Firestorm is that Van Sciver's pitch to DC was to do for Firestorm what Geoff Johns did for GL, i.e., multiple Firestorms like there are multiple GLs and multiple Lantern Corps--and it's just not working.

It also doesn't help that now that they've got fan favorite Martin Stein selling Firestorm to the highest bidder like a product. If you're looking to turn off fans of Firestorm, turning Stein into a sellout (even if only in appearance with the story eventually revealing a "noble cause" for doing it) is a perfect way to alienate the fanbase of the franchise. And that hurts sales both short-term and long-term.

On top of that, Gail's dialogue in Firestorm has been shockingly bad. I'm one of Gail's fans; I love her work. But I simply couldn't get through the first issue of this series without visibly cringing while reading the dialogue. It was horrible. And the things Van Sciver was having Jason and Ronnie do in the plot made both characters severely unappealing and unheroic.

Yildiray Cinar is turning in the best artwork of his young career, but unfortunately he's been saddled with one of the books suffering from some of the worst scripts of the New 52. This book will have to make a major U-turn in the quality of the writing before I'd even remotely consider picking it up again. The story, characterization and dialogue are all depressingly unlikable.

Skaddix
11-25-2011, 03:13 PM
To be fair there have always been multiple what u could consider firestorms even before GL did it. As for Stein well orginally he was trying to stop the spread of nuclear weapons so giving out firestorms to everyone creates a situation of causing everyone to not use their weapon so a nice update.

Still I agree more heroic characterization with stronger and better dialogue.

Cavemold
11-25-2011, 03:21 PM
CBR worded the question wrong . So this really doesn't tell us anything about Gail status.Bad CBR !

Flashpoint
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
To be fair there have always been multiple what u could consider firestorms even before GL did it. As for Stein well orginally he was trying to stop the spread of nuclear weapons so giving out firestorms to everyone creates a situation of causing everyone to not use their weapon so a nice update.

Still I agree more heroic characterization with stronger and better dialogue.

Thanks. Yeah, both Jason and Ronnie have been real jerks in the first few issues. The racial comments and hair trigger tempers made me put the book down in disgust. They both came across too belligerant and obnoxious.

And that dialogue...YEESH! So unnatural and forced.

Awesome!
11-25-2011, 03:33 PM
This was the only DCnU title out of 20+ I picked up that was bad enough to drop after #1. It was so bad I wanted to drop it halfway through #1. Initially I was excited for the creative team (minus EVS) but now I think a shakeup is the best thing for the title.

Flashpoint
11-25-2011, 03:39 PM
This was the only DCnU title out of 20+ I picked up that was bad enough to drop after #1. It was so bad I wanted to drop it halfway through #1. Initially I was excited for the creative team (minus EVS) but now I think a shakeup is the best thing for the title.

ME TOO.

This was one of the books I was most looking forward to. But just getting through the first issue was a real chore. It was painful to read. Which is sad because the art by Cinar is amazing.

And I hate the whole idea of "Fury." Such a dumb character. He's nothing but a walking tower of rage and bluster--like a nuclear Red Lantern. Booooooring.

FHIZ
11-25-2011, 03:41 PM
CBR: Finally, for a while there were rumors that Gail would be leaving "Firestorm" after issue seven. Right now, it seems like both Gail and Ethan have big things planned all the way through to next year -- will there be any creative team changes after issue seven?

Gluckstern: I will just say there are huge plans, solid plans, and everybody's working on all cylinders. If there is ever anything else to announce, we will be announcing hardcore! I'm just so excited to be a part of this team, and I think issue three is going to really throw a big wrench in the works for everybody and be a really fun read. I hope people pick it up!

Interesting that she doesn't deny Gail Simone leaving the book.
Yeah, if something reported by bc is not true, I've seen creators come out and straight up say its false. For example, both Paqutte and Saiz (via his agent) have expressed they're not off of Swamp Thing and Birds of Prey recently.

I realize there are NDAs in place, but I still think no one would usually have a problem withstanding "that's not true"

Cavemold
11-25-2011, 04:14 PM
This book never had a chance. The concept could of been much more than what it was. The interior at for the most part was awful. The writing was not thier.

allwillbemine
11-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm keeping an eye on it though. If something exciting happens I'll want to read about it.

And speaking of Pohzar and old Firestorm characters, what parts of the old runs are good reads? My local used book store has a lot of Firestorm issues. The 2005 series.

Skaddix
11-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks. Yeah, both Jason and Ronnie have been real jerks in the first few issues. The racial comments and hair trigger tempers made me put the book down in disgust. They both came across too belligerant and obnoxious.

Agreed part of the problem is they want the BD dynamic. Problem with that is Jason had a pretty good reason to dislike Ronnie that is not exactly reproducible with ease. It was a lot more complicated then White Dumb Jock with Single Mom and absentee dad vs Black Genius with injured Father.

FHIZ
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM

yeah, that's what turned me off about the first issue, Simone usually deals with stuff like race and sexuality with a certain finesse, but all of the sudden we have one charecter calling the other a racist out of the blue, and then a few pages the "mom, why don't we have any black friends?" discussion. The lack of subtlty just killed it for me, and I just found it to be a bit preachy.

DonC
11-25-2011, 05:07 PM
CBR worded the question wrong . So this really doesn't tell us anything about Gail status.Bad CBR !

Josie Campbell worded the question fine. She asked straight up if there were going to be any creative changes after issue seven. She just didn't follow up on the vague answer she got.

doordoor123
11-25-2011, 05:26 PM
The whole problem with Firestorm is that Van Sciver's pitch to DC was to do for Firestorm what Geoff Johns did for GL, i.e., multiple Firestorms like there are multiple GLs and multiple Lantern Corps--and it's just not working.

It also doesn't help that now that they've got fan favorite Martin Stein selling Firestorm to the highest bidder like a product. If you're looking to turn off fans of Firestorm, turning Stein into a sellout (even if only in appearance with the story eventually revealing a "noble cause" for doing it) is a perfect way to alienate the fanbase of the franchise. And that hurts sales both short-term and long-term.

On top of that, Gail's dialogue in Firestorm has been shockingly bad. I'm one of Gail's fans; I love her work. But I simply couldn't get through the first issue of this series without visibly cringing while reading the dialogue. It was horrible. And the things Van Sciver was having Jason and Ronnie do in the plot made both characters severely unappealing and unheroic.

Yildiray Cinar is turning in the best artwork of his young career, but unfortunately he's been saddled with one of the books suffering from some of the worst scripts of the New 52. This book will have to make a major U-turn in the quality of the writing before I'd even remotely consider picking it up again. The story, characterization and dialogue are all depressingly unlikable.

I disagree. I think that it's just because they just started really slowly. They just needed to speed it up. Issue three it finally gets a little interesting.

mbg846
11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd say the fact that an editor is doing the interview and not Gail Simone herself is telling of the book's future

Scott Mateo
11-25-2011, 05:46 PM

yeah, that's what turned me off about the first issue, Simone usually deals with stuff like race and sexuality with a certain finesse, but all of the sudden we have one charecter calling the other a racist out of the blue, and then a few pages the "mom, why don't we have any black friends?" discussion. The lack of subtlty just killed it for me, and I just found it to be a bit preachy.

That soured me on the entire book. It was ham-fisted and unnecessary. Moreover, I know it's a total reboot, but it just doesn't seem like Ronnie - especially since he had quite an interesting and unique supporting cast in Conway run.

What really affects Ronnie's character is that single dad/only son dynamic that made Ronnie a living, breathing character I could relate to (having grown up with my dad and not getting along) is gone now that Gail chose to use his mother instead. It's kinda like if you were going to re-imagine Spider-Man and kill Aunt May instead of Uncle Ben. I'm not even sure why they even bothered to even call him Ronnie Raymond, I might have been more receptive to a new character than this warped and twisted version of him.

allwillbemine
11-25-2011, 05:49 PM
That soured me on the entire book. It was ham-fisted and unnecessary. Moreover, I know it's a total reboot, but it just doesn't seem like Ronnie - especially since he had quite an interesting and unique supporting cast in Conway run.

What really affects Ronnie's character is that single dad/only son dynamic that made Ronnie a living, breathing character I could relate to (having grown up with my dad and not getting along) is gone now that Gail chose to use his mother instead. It's kinda like if you were going to re-imagine Spider-Man and kill Aunt May instead of Uncle Ben. I'm not even sure why they even bothered to even call him Ronnie Raymond, I might have been more receptive to a new character than this warped and twisted version of him.

I'm sure it has something to do with keeping the rights to the character.

CagedLeo730
11-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I didn't mind the "race issue" in #1. Neither came off as totally right or totally wrong on the issue. There's nuance when it comes to race relations.
What I didn't like is that both came off really unlikable in issue #2. The dialogue is also lacking to me. I'm gonna give #3 a shot but if it doesn't entertain me or intrigue me then that's it for Firestorm.

Scott Mateo
11-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm keeping an eye on it though. If something exciting happens I'll want to read about it.

And speaking of Pohzar and old Firestorm characters, what parts of the old runs are good reads? My local used book store has a lot of Firestorm issues. The 2005 series.This is one of my favorite comicbook arcs of all-time:

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/32233702026.62.GIF

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/32233702026.63.GIF

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/32233702026.64.GIF

http://image2.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/32235633460.5.GIF

It covers the introduction Pozhar, shows a truly heroic Ronnie we can all relate to, and clearly defines his relationship with his father and Prof. Stein.

If you like how it ends, then you'll want to continue with #65 and so on!

allwillbemine
11-25-2011, 06:11 PM
This is one of my favorite comicbook arcs of all-time:

It covers the introduction Pozhar, shows a truly heroic Ronnie we can all relate to, and clearly defines his relationship with his father and Prof. Stein.

If you like how it ends, then you'll want to continue with #65 and so on!

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for it tomorrow. I think they might just have the 2005 run, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I didn't mind the "race issue" in #1. Neither came off as totally right or totally wrong on the issue. There's nuance when it comes to race relations.
What I didn't like is that both came off really unlikable in issue #2. The dialogue is also lacking to me. I'm gonna give #3 a shot but if it doesn't entertain me or intrigue me then that's it for Firestorm.

This is kind of how I feel, too. I was okay with the race thing. Heck, that question probably gets asked by a lot of kids. And lets face it, most teenagers aren't subtle. It stink of preaching to most adults, but that's probably how a kid would say it.

And I agree with the assessment of issue 2; I haven't found a character I really like. The Hyenas are interesting, and I love Fury's design, but the main character's haven't grown on me yet.

I still have to check out #3.

sethysquare
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Honestly o hated 1 n 2. I thought it was rubbish. Alot of people covered what they didnt like abt 1 and im going to add 2 was pretty slow and the art was terrible due to the misprint. But issue 3 was surprisingly good. Issue 3 saved the book for me.

HulkSmash!
11-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Incredibly, horrendously bad--and this comes from someone who, frankly, came on board the original Firestorm when John Ostrander was on the book and really firing on all cylinders, doing justice to this idea of a nuclear threat.

Firestorm works best when contrasting the "nuclear" part of his power with the whimsy that was a hallmark of the early Conway/Milgrom stories. As much as DC got it wrong when they reintroduced Firestorm a few years ago with the "new kid" Jason Rusch, writer Stuart Moore righted that boat with the infusion of some intriguing, but not overpowering science concepts as well as the return of Martin Stein as Jason's mentor.

This Firestorm takes the initial concept of the character and destroys it utterly, hiding the "merger" behind an obvious Hulk derivative and the multiple-Firestorms plot cribbed from every "(insert superhero name) Family" book in previous years. Without the edge of humor the character's had for many years, Firestorm becomes a big ol' bucket of dull, dull, dull. Add in the "remixed" villains like the "Hyenas" and Cliff Carmichael,, and the book sinks even lower. And I expected so much from Ms. Simone! (Still loving her Batgirl!)

Haven't read #3 yet, but I'm in no hurry. I won't support this book anymore, and if I keep reading, it'll be by picking up the back issues in the $1 bins at conventions.

~G.

Desaad
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm still enjoying this series. Last issue was better than the firs ttwo, and I thought the first two were just fine. The American Firestorm's backstory was tragic, and the way it was revealed, with the director as his wife, was just great storytelling.

Loved it.

CBikle
11-25-2011, 07:26 PM
I'd say the fact that an editor is doing the interview and not Gail Simone herself is telling of the book's future

Yeah, also, I thought Gail was co-writing this series with Ethan Van Sciver, but you don't seem to get that from any of the interviews or articles I've rea relating to this title.

I wonder if the editor is heavily rewriting the book ?

dswynne
11-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I think the writers of the book is going for the "Defiant Ones" or "48 Hours" dynamic, but can't pull it off (especially since most teenagers are not as obsess with race as their adult counterparts are). I would be happy if they simply stuck to the geek/jock dynamic from the B:TBATB version of Firestorm.

Also, I don't mind there being multiple Firestorms, if it can be done well. And I see "Fury" as the precursor to the Firestorm elemental from the Ostrander run. Right now, Jason and Ronnie don't get along, and so the merged creature is the result of this antagonistic scenario. But I wouldn't be surprise if, ultimately, the elemental Firestorm makes an appearance.

DSW

Sterling
11-25-2011, 09:31 PM

Simone did an interview with Newsarama four days ago.

Here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail-simone-fury-of-firestorm-111122.html

FHIZ
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Simone did an interview with Newsarama four days ago.

Here: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/gail-simone-fury-of-firestorm-111122.html

there's no telling when that interview was conducted.

Sterling
11-25-2011, 09:54 PM
there's no telling when that interview was conducted.

Does Newsarama usually take long to post their interviews?

Desaad
11-25-2011, 10:33 PM
One of the questions is also "in this week's issue", or something to that effect.

Generally takes a few days to get an interview edited.

sethysquare
11-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Even if she is removed from the book doesnt mean she cant have interviews abt it. Besides she is collaborating with ethan on another project. Would be kinda evil to just "give up" on all interviews.

Robotman4
11-26-2011, 01:15 AM
the book has been ok so far. 3 was the best of the issues. i found the Helix character to be very interesting. i love the failed first experiment coming back.

ive always had a difficult time getting into Firestorm in general because he seems way too powerful. i have no problem with him being able to transmute stuff but i hate the fact that he can also change objects into...anything. a character who can turn air into a rocket launcher is just too much. he's so powerful that the character's ignorance is the only thing that pushes the story conflict.

Scott Mateo
11-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Does Newsarama usually take long to post their interviews?They're still milking NYCC interviews!

allwillbemine
11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Finally read #3 and I agree, it saves the series. Its so weird and action packed and the characters have a lot of personality. And the art is just amazing. I think its one of the biggest draws, no pun intended.

Cavemold
11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
They're still milking NYCC interviews!

Haha wow. :eek:

Sockpuppet
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I wonder if Killer Frost will make an appearance??

Skaddix
11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Killer Frost will make an appearance??

Well as of issue 3 she is laying in a hospital bed so I would say yes. The parents were the best part of issue 2 so seeing them in 4 should be good.

Firestorm Fan
11-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Personally, I'm enjoying the series. I didn't have any serious concerns with issue #1 & #2. And issue #3 was probably the best so far!

I can somewhat understand some folks concern about not connecting with Ronnie or Jason just yet. This is definitely a plot-driven story, rather than a character-driven story. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the other comics I'm reading are very character-driven. While I enjoy fully-explored characters, those comics read in 5 minutes and not much really happens. Each issue of Firestorm is an action-packed rollercoaster with tons of different scenes. You definitely get your money worth in this book!

In regard to the race discussion, I think both Ronnie and Jason are typical high school kids. When their tempers flair, they shoot off their mouth first, and think about the consequences later. It didn't feel forced to me, it just felt like kids saying stupid stuff. As adults, we have internal filters that help us judge what to say and what not to say. I have a teenage son myself and I see kids often say the weirdest things, only for them to reconsider it later.

Understandably so, Gluckstern definitely dodged the question about Gail leaving. An interview with CBR isn't really the right place to address that. That's something DC would probably want to announce formally, along with whomever is replacing Gail. While I suspect there might be some truth to the rumor of Gail leaving soon, I'd expect Gail to continue to promote the book until a formal announcement is made (i.e. her recent Newsarama interview).

Yildiray Cinar's art on this book is amazing!!! I love his pencils, inks, and markers! His art is so dynamic, clean, and painterly!

The biggest thing I got out of Gluckstern's interview was a sneaking suspicion that Professor Stein might be the intelligence in control of Fury.

"I want people to really pay attention to Fury as well, when Ronnie and Jason combine into Fury, to see if there is any sort of hints there that they might find interesting regarding Professor Stein and the boys in general."
While violence wasn't the Professor's typical MO, maybe it's his Id or sub-conscious. Similar to the "blank slate" era Firestorm written by John Ostrander.

Looking forward to issue #4!

Skaddix
11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah issue four should be interesting if only for our shadowy organization moving from the framing to parent hostage taking.

Blade X
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Fury is either Prof. Stein or the manifestation of Prof Stein's essence and rage (his "fury").

Blade X
11-27-2011, 04:07 PM
The biggest thing I got out of Gluckstern's interview was a sneaking suspicion that Professor Stein might be the intelligence in control of Fury.

"I want people to really pay attention to Fury as well, when Ronnie and Jason combine into Fury, to see if there is any sort of hints there that they might find interesting regarding Professor Stein and the boys in general."
While violence wasn't the Professor's typical MO, maybe it's his Id or sub-conscious. Similar to the "blank slate" era Firestorm written by John Ostrander.

Looking forward to issue #4!

You beat me to it. I read your post right after I posted mine.

Jackson Brody
11-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I liked the version of Firestorm we saw on Batman: Brave and the Bold. Nerd teenager and jock adult.

Though I pretty much prefer the B:B&TB characterizations of everything. See also: Aquaman.

JessieMidnight
11-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Anyone else notice that when asked about Firestorm(s) appearing in other titles, the editor says they're talking to the Justice League group, and that nothing is set in stone yet. Talking? One or both of the Firestorm kids were said to be in the JL, heck, he's on that first big JL picture. What gives DC?

Also no, I don't think the editor slipped up on that answer. I think DC needs some editors to edit the editors to keep all this stuff straight. Also I wonder if its just Gail that will be replaced or Ethan too? Plus who would take over? Any good contenders? Leave Yildiray on art though.

I can't wait to see what Killer Frost looks like when she shows up to casue trouble. What other classic Firestorm villains does everyone want to see show up?