PDA

View Full Version : Villians for Hire Point One #1 *Spoilers*

Kieran_Frost
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Well... I'm sorry to say I was RIGHT!!! "Villains" for Hire was basically yet another Heroes For Hire issue, that tagged on (at the end) a brief moment with the Purple Man saying he's going to hire some villains.

It was a good issue, with some great moments (naked Daemon Hellstrom! :biggrin:). And a good fight for T'Challa (great to see him in another comic... slightly annoying that Stilt-Man(woman) fared better against him than one of the world's best assassins -- I know, I know, let it go! :wink:). And I liked Stilt "man" saying she's keeping the name, and it's the 21st century, what's wrong with that?

What annoyed me most: Speed Demon, Doctor Nightshade and Tiger Shark, the three characters I was MOST excited to see, did even appear in the issue (not even on the screens at the end). UGH! Heroes For Hire got cancelled, this is supposed to be a different direction, not another attempt to tell more similar-styled Heroes For Hire stories. :mad:

It would have been FAR more interesting if Purple Man was orchestrating the issue, calling various villains for hire; rather than Control (though it's always lovely to see Misty). Really, REALLY hoping Misty is the one to hire Tiger Shark and Speed Demon to take on the Purple Man's team, rather than "just" have her heroes fight the villains.

A good issue... just sadly disappointing in EXACTLY the way I predicted... that said, I'll still try the first issue of the mini-series.

P.S. excited but NERVOUS to see how Scourge being back is explained! Since last we saw him, he's still in pieces, in stasis at the Raft.

upmiddowntown
11-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I completely forgot this came out today.

Specimen 297
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Much Paladin in it?

Or any Shroud?

They're the main draw for me.

Although I'm interested if the Scourge has anything to do with Nuke too.

Expletive Deleted
11-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Much Paladin in it?

Or any Shroud?

Although I'm interested if the Scourge has anything to do with Nuke too.No Shroud, but a fair amount of Paladin.

FriendRoss
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
not a lot of pal-o-mine... but he came through big in the end

the only thing i didnt like about it was stick chick flogging BP with those arms a little to much.. but ill let it go

i have no idea where this is headed but im interested

Gizmoduck
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
It is a 0.1 issue and the real story does not start until issue #1. But it was an ok story.

highwayguy
11-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Was Crossfire in this issue? I'd probably buy the series if he got a good showing, just like in Spider-Man: Breakout.

Dermie
11-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Well... I'm sorry to say I was RIGHT!!! "Villains" for Hire was basically yet another Heroes For Hire issue, that tagged on (at the end) a brief moment with the Purple Man saying he's going to hire some villains.

That shouldn't be too much of a surprise though--"Villains For Hire" is the continuation of a Heroes for Hire storyline. The H4H cast will continue to be a part of it...this issue is basically a transition point, as they start bringing the villains into the cast.

It was a good issue, with some great moments (naked Daemon Hellstrom! :biggrin:).

Yeah, that was a gratuitous-but-nice bit of equal-opportunity-ogling. :wink:
I guess Daimon figured he deserved a chance to show off his goods after his sister Satana's nude scene a few issues back.

What annoyed me most: Speed Demon, Doctor Nightshade and Tiger Shark, the three characters I was MOST excited to see, did even appear in the issue (not even on the screens at the end). UGH!

Yeah, that is too bad (Speedy is the one I am most looking forward to as well, with Purple Man a close second), but I guess the cover was just hinting at the things to come--since the Point1 issues are meant as intro stories.

Heroes For Hire got cancelled, this is supposed to be a different direction, not another attempt to tell more similar-styled Heroes For Hire stories. :mad:

Not exactly--this is a continuation of a storyline already in-progress in H4H. The fact that Purple Man was pulling the strings behind the scenes and was responsible for the creation of this incarnation of H4H has been part of the ongoing storyline from the beginning..
If H4H had continued as it was, "Villains for Hire" would probably have been the next arc.

Kieran_Frost
11-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Much Paladin in it?
Or any Shroud?
No Shroud, but Paladin gets some great moments, and as always is Misty's right hand man.

Although I'm interested if the Scourge has anything to do with Nuke too.
I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't. Considering Paladin's antagonistic history with Scourge/Nuke in Thunderbolts; it would be a waste not to have it be the real one.

the only thing i didnt like about it was stick chick flogging BP with those arms a little to much.. but ill let it go
She got in only ONE hit. How is that "a little too much"?

Was Crossfire in this issue? I'd probably buy the series if he got a good showing, just like in Spider-Man: Breakout.
Nope, no Crossfire either. In fact the ONLY person on the cover (out of SEVEN) to actually appear in the issue was Misty Knight (and Stilt-Man(woman)... but on the cover it's clearly a man)

That shouldn't be too much of a surprise though--"Villains For Hire" is the continuation of a Heroes for Hire storyline. The H4H cast will continue to be a part of it...this issue is basically a transition point, as they start bringing the villains into the cast.
Not exactly--this is a continuation of a storyline already in-progress in H4H. The fact that Purple Man was pulling the strings behind the scenes and was responsible for the creation of this incarnation of H4H has been part of the ongoing storyline from the beginning..
If H4H had continued as it was, "Villains for Hire" would probably have been the next arc.
Yes it's a continuation, but it's also called VILLAINS for Hire. Not one villain was hired this issue, and not one villain on the cover showed up. I tried Heroes For Hire, it had some great points, but ultimately it didn't hold my interest (pity, the first few issues were great). I'm not giving it another go, I'm giving the "new" concept a go. And the "new" concept... didn't début in this issue. I know cover art and solicits lie... but I also think it's fair for fans to call "cheater" because of it. :wink:

Yeah, that was a gratuitous-but-nice bit of equal-opportunity-ogling. :wink:
I guess Daimon figured he deserved a chance to show off his goods after his sister Satana's nude scene a few issues back.
They are my favourite siblings! :evilsmile: The only sibling couple where I like both equally as much.

Yeah, that is too bad (Speedy is the one I am most looking forward to as well, with Purple Man a close second), but I guess the cover was just hinting at the things to come--since the Point1 issues are meant as intro stories.
I'm excited by all the Thunderbolts connections in the comic (Paladin, Scourge, Speed Demon, Purple Man, Tiger Shark); and hope that is referenced. I'm not "too" excited for Purple Man, I loved how Fabian wrote him; but I think Abnett/Lanning miss his arrogance and sophistication (at-least that is how I felt about his appearance in the Fear, Itself tie-in). But I still look forward to the next issue.

Specimen 297
11-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Got this.

It was good.

It was set-up, but what were you expecting? It's a .1 issue.

I was disappointed there was NO reference at all to Spider-Island. Last time we saw Heroes for Hire they were in pretty dire straits. It it possible that this happens maybe happens before Spider-Island? I wish we got another Spider-Island issue of Heroes for Hire. It really needed wrapping up.

I do really like how Abnett and Lanning do Paladin (although I don't particularly like how they seem to make his costume pinker and pinker every issue). I thought Zeb Wells' Heroes for Hire did a pretty bad Paladin. Abnett and Lanning get that he's more of a Han Solo than just a sex-crazed version of Deadpool.

SilverZeal
11-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Actually we prefer Zeb Wells xcterisation of Paladin...DnA seem 2 b taking d xcter down d Deadpool route which is very distasteful though just our opinion.

Specimen 297
11-04-2011, 09:49 AM
But all Wells did was have him stare at Black Cat's tits and be a jerk.

Debutante24
11-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Got this.

It was good.

It was set-up, but what were you expecting? It's a .1 issue.

I was disappointed there was NO reference at all to Spider-Island. Last time we saw Heroes for Hire they were in pretty dire straits. It it possible that this happens maybe happens before Spider-Island? I wish we got another Spider-Island issue of Heroes for Hire. It really needed wrapping up.

I think you have to check out the Spider Man book to see how Spider Island wrapped up.

Dermie
11-04-2011, 04:33 PM

I think we're intended to conclude that it got resolved along with all of the other spider-mutations in the Spider-Island conclusion. We see Misty in the epilogue issue, back in human form...so I think we're just meant to conclude that Misty and Paladin reverted back to normal, and went back to work.

It was definately a surprise to see Headhunter again in that final page...is this the first time she's turned up since John Byrne's NAMOR run?

The_Dork_Nut
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Yawn. All I could think was Black Panther is pretty cool, this comic sucks and where are all the freaking villains. How am I supposed to get excited about something that has nothing really that interesting in it.

Bookem Danno
11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Interesting clues at marvel.com with the real #1 issue that presumably follows POINT ONE. Will Kilgrave be hiring his upcoming recruits or commanding them to join? He probably will be fitting them with earpieces since it was his idea! Story idea: either side might be able to track the other by comm frequencies - maybe tech-savy T'Challa will help there. I wonder how tech-smart Headhunter is - maybe I should dig up that Byrne issue.

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/9/f0/4e777f41e7aa7/detail.jpg
https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/a/60/4e777ef829f1b.jpg
http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/f/80/4e777f1cc4bae/detail.jpg

XPac
11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I think we're intended to conclude that it got resolved along with all of the other spider-mutations in the Spider-Island conclusion. We see Misty in the epilogue issue, back in human form...so I think we're just meant to conclude that Misty and Paladin reverted back to normal, and went back to work.

It was definately a surprise to see Headhunter again in that final page...is this the first time she's turned up since John Byrne's NAMOR run?

I had to actually Google Headhunter. I wonder if Namor will show up for more.

This book seems to be attracting a lot of mind controllers. Guess that makes sense though... they're the type of characters that sort of call the shots in the background while others do the heavy lifting on the front lines.

classicgmer
11-05-2011, 03:12 PM
I can see why people are a bit angry about the lack of actual characters depicted on the cover not showing up within the actual pages of the book. It's one thing to have maybe 1 or 2 characters on the cover not show up but 5 out of 7:confused:

The title of the book (& mini series) is "Villians for Hire" & with only 5 issues total I get the sense people want to see as much of the solicited villians they can....If Abnett & Lanning just wanted to continue the arc started in "Heroes for Hire" I don't see why they didn't just stretch the series out for another 4-5 issues....I mean I really doubt the change in title & focus will bring in that much more sales (unfortunately:frown:)

All that having been said I thought this was an enjoyable issue where BP kicked some serious ass & am looking forward to the mini.

Dr Dribs
11-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Just finished it. Like most people I gave it 4 out of 5. Andy Lanning is probably my favourite artist going in a book I like at the moment. Really hope they make more than just 5 issues.

So, I'm guessing this will be Shockers first reappearance in the next issue since running away before Thunderbolt's tower was teleported?

Dermie
11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
So, I'm guessing this will be Shockers first reappearance in the next issue since running away before Thunderbolt's tower was teleported?

No, he was in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN a few issues ago.

classicgmer
11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty interested to see how Avalanche gets dragged onto Purple Man's "Villians for hire" squad Last I saw of the guy he was just trying to run his bar in peace. Hell I think Wolverine tried to recruit him to move back out east & he said no so Purple Man has prob got something to hold over him.

Joe Acro
11-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I enjoyed the issue, but it bothers me a little. First of all, it's hard for me to take Stilt-Man--any Stilt-Man--seriously. This one especially so since it's actually woman named Stilt-Man. The heroes in the comic don't take her seriously either. Yet, she nearly kills Sable and actually does an okay job against Black Panther. A credible threat that's treated in name and reaction as not a credible threat.

On top of that, this isn't a Villains for Hire issue. It's a Heroes for Hire issue. And while it's fine as a Heroes for Hire issue, that isn't what it labels itself as. Since I was expecting a Villains for Hire issue, I come off a little disappointed.

Prodigy55
11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
i love the new stilt-man. it's the 21st century, silver age heroes can suck it. and where does black panther get off telling someone else to get their own identity? until recently he was called "the man without fear."

Dermie
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty interested to see how Avalanche gets dragged onto Purple Man's "Villians for hire" squad Last I saw of the guy he was just trying to run his bar in peace. Hell I think Wolverine tried to recruit him to move back out east & he said no so Purple Man has prob got something to hold over him.

Its Purple Man--he mind controls people into doing what he wants.

and where does black panther get off telling someone else to get their own identity? until recently he was called "the man without fear."

That's a description, not an identity though--T'Challa didn't start calling himself "Daredevil".

Prodigy55
11-05-2011, 07:05 PM
how about protector of hell's kitchen?

Mr MajestiK
11-05-2011, 07:23 PM
how about protector of hell's kitchen?

Maybe you should take that gripe up with Marvel Editorial who stupidly decided to move T'Challa to Hell's Kitchen?

Mr MajestiK
11-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Yawn. All I could think was Black Panther is pretty cool, this comic sucks and where are all the freaking villains. How am I supposed to get excited about something that has nothing really that interesting in it.

Agreed.

It would have been cool to have seen the villains featured on the cover but I guess at this point, we should be used to marvel's covers not always matching up with what obtains on the inside of the book.

Vic Vega
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Its a good book on its own merits, but its not what was advertised on the cover or solicits.

West
11-05-2011, 07:58 PM
That's a description, not an identity though--T'Challa didn't start calling himself "Daredevil".
Pretty much, it's like claiming "Amazing" or "Fantastic" is an identity

Cavemold
11-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Eh... I though it was so so.....

Vivica Kang
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Dang it!! I forgot this comes out!!! MUST...BUY THIS....ISSUE!!:eek:

classicgmer
11-05-2011, 08:14 PM

I knew that!!:tongue::redface: I guess I was just hoping there was a more complicated/interesting reason for Avalanche to be throwing in with these guys.

Mr MajestiK
11-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Dang it!! I forgot this comes out!!! MUST...BUY THIS....ISSUE!!:eek:

You haven't missed much.

There were barely any villains in the damn book.

XPac
11-05-2011, 09:52 PM

I suppose if you wanted to, you could argue T'Challa is sporting Shuri's identity though. She's technically the Black Panther now. Granted T'Challa had it first (and really EVERYONE both in the MU and the real world still think of BP as him).

Still, when T'Challa decided to go incognito in Hells Kitchen, he didn't seem to put a whole lot of thought into his "disguise." I think even his own wife ripped on him for that a little.

Hypestyle
11-07-2011, 12:32 AM
...how much does the Purple Man know about misty's operation? Is he literally wired into what she's wired into?

the original arc started out with her being manipulated by the puppet master.. how does he fit into all of this?

so is H4H canceled, and now it's going to be V4H?

Umbra
11-07-2011, 12:45 AM
...how much does the Purple Man know about misty's operation? Is he literally wired into what she's wired into?

the original arc started out with her being manipulated by the puppet master.. how does he fit into all of this?

Just a mini...but that could change if it sells well. I love the concept.

classicgmer
11-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Just a mini...but that could change if it sells well. I love the concept.

I like the concept as well & hope that somehow, someway the mini produces enough sales that the concept continues in some format. (ongoing, another mini etc)

Having said that as has been stated multiple times already I really don't think they did themselves any favors as far as getting more people interested in the mini by not showcasing the villians in this issue.

scouse mouse
11-07-2011, 12:34 PM

I believe that the Purple man was manipulating the Puppet Master. It was revealed during the Fear Itself tie ins. PM has been the brains behind everything since the start.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Pretty much, it's like claiming "Amazing" or "Fantastic" is an identity

not really. daredevil is the man without fear. t'challa is using daredevil's celebrity to get famous, just like stilt-man in this issue.

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
not really. daredevil is the man without fear. t'challa is using daredevil's celebrity to get famous, just like stilt-man in this issue.

What. No he is not please. That's stupid. he's not calling himself Daredevil. he is not calling himself ANYTHING. Stop making stuff up.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
no one is making anything up. daredevil is the man without fear. why is black panther using daredevil's celebrity?

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I like the concept as well & hope that somehow, someway the mini produces enough sales that the concept continues in some format. (ongoing, another mini etc)

Having said that as has been stated multiple times already I really don't think they did themselves any favors as far as getting more people interested in the mini by not showcasing the villians in this issue.

Agreed. This would have been great during Dark Reign [which ended way too early]

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
no one is making anything up. daredevil is the man without fear. why is black panther using daredevil's celebrity?

Whatever man. Again, he is not calling himself the man without fear, and he is not using daredevil celebrity. He is not calling himself Daredevil. In the books, no one is mistaking him for Daredevil. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Sounds like trolling and making stuff up.

The current title isn't Man without fear..so it's time to drop it. It's Most Dangerous man Alive.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Whatever man. Again, he is not calling himself the man without fear, and he is not using daredevil celebrity.

there is only one man without fear. was this false advertising by marvel?

sorry, but it happened. deal with it.

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/covers/large/9102437-black-panther-the-man-without-fear-517.jpg

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
there is only one man without fear. was this false advertising by marvel?

sorry, but it happened. deal with it.

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comics/covers/large/9102437-black-panther-the-man-without-fear-517.jpg

Dude, you don't get it. He took over the role of defender of Hells Kitchen story wise for Matt, who asked him...but he has never called himself Daredevil or the Man without fear in the actual comic. That was to help Matt out more then it was to help Black Panther. Thus, he is no longer needed to protect HK...nor is he stuck there defending it.

Sorry. You need to deal with it. I'm not sure what your point is...but the Panther actually does better as the Black Panther...rather then that premise. So your point is completely off.

Deal with it.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
black panther is not a real person.

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
black panther is not a real person.

Dude if you are going to troll, you need to do better then that. Who said that? It sounds like something you are saying.

"why is black panther using daredevil's celebrity?"

He's not a real person. Right? lol Just stop it. If the writers write Matt asking the Black Panther to take on his role in the comic...then how is he using DD celebrity? You are not making sense.

Whatever dude.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
take it up with marvel umbra. they are the ones who put you in this position.

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
take it up with marvel umbra. they are the ones who put you in this position.

But who is in what position? I just corrected you saying that he was using his celebrity, when that is false. Like I said, this whole thing was used to allow Daredevil to move on to grander things...rather then being stuck in HK.

Period.

AcesX1X
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
lol, fine. marvel was using daredevil's celebrity to make black panther more famous. happy?

Umbra
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
lol, fine. marvel was using daredevil's celebrity to make black panther more famous. happy?

Whatever man. Neither is true. Happy?

Umbra
11-07-2011, 02:05 PM
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/239/bpvfhp11.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7649/bpvfhp12.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4737/bpvfhp13.jpg

protege
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I really liked the art in this book, especially when it came to T'challa. MAybe if the artist here worked on Black Panther, I might pick up that book.

Umbra
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I really liked the art in this book, especially when it came to T'challa. MAybe if the artist here worked on Black Panther, I might pick up that book.

It's probably a matter of taste in art...but check this out before you don't.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51887

FriendRoss
11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Actually we prefer Zeb Wells xcterisation of Paladin...DnA seem 2 b taking d xcter down d Deadpool route which is very distasteful though just our opinion.

thats a great point

You haven't missed much.

There were barely any villains in the damn book.

this is hilarious

the whole panther in the kitchen thing was clearly a ham fisted transition.. but you can hardly blame black panther (who may be real, prove he is not) for marvel lazely leaving the man without fear tagline up there