PDA

View Full Version : Newsstand Release Dates

botolo
10-30-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello Folks,

I enjoy a lot buying my new comic books at Barnes & Noble, where they recently dedicated three to four shelves to monthlies.

The distribution is a little bit late, as comics are released a month after their release in comic books' stores.

I was wondering if there is anywhere a website publishing the release date of comics for newsstands. Any idea?

Earth2Invincible
10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Whenever I used to go to Borders, most of the comic books on the stands were about 3 to 4 weeks behind. I would presume that Barnes and Nobles would be the same way.

nickmarino
10-30-2011, 10:35 AM
aren't all of Marvel's newsstand books marked up by $1 compared to the direct market pricing?

PaxHouse
10-30-2011, 11:31 AM
aren't all of Marvel's newsstand books marked up by $1 compared to the direct market pricing?

Yes, they are..... :mad: :frown:

Earth2Invincible
10-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Yup, some of the only 2.99 books in Marvel are 3.99 in newsstands. Not to mention some of the direct market 3.99 books are even higher.

botolo
10-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Yup, some of the only 2.99 books in Marvel are 3.99 in newsstands. Not to mention some of the direct market 3.99 books are even higher.

I don't really understand this policy from Marvel (are they the only ones who up the price for the newsstand edition?). Comics today are selling less because publishers are contributing in making this market a niche market. Just compare this:

- in the old days, a kid in Santa Monica (where I live) could have bought comics almost everywhere...Vons, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

- today a kid must go to the only comic shop in Santa Monica, which is a good for nerds like us but weird for a young kid or he can buy comics at Barnes & Noble, where he has a small selection of them and they are priced $1.00 more.

This does not make sense. If publishers want to stop this sale crisis, they have to enlarge their audience by selling comics almost everywhere.

Brother Justin Crowe
10-31-2011, 01:18 PM
For B&N, it all depends on how quickly the store's newsstand lead actually unpackages them and puts them out. At the store I work at, I've had to be on our NS lead's ass about it until he finally decided to let me be in charge of putting out the comics so they were on stands for than two minutes before they're shipped back.

Iron Maiden
10-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't really understand this policy from Marvel (are they the only ones who up the price for the newsstand edition?). Comics today are selling less because publishers are contributing in making this market a niche market. Just compare this:

- in the old days, a kid in Santa Monica (where I live) could have bought comics almost everywhere...Vons, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

- today a kid must go to the only comic shop in Santa Monica, which is a good for nerds like us but weird for a young kid or he can buy comics at Barnes & Noble, where he has a small selection of them and they are priced $1.00 more.

This does not make sense. If publishers want to stop this sale crisis, they have to enlarge their audience by selling comics almost everywhere.

I really think bookstores that are smaller than a B&N just don't want to put up with the hassle. Just think of all the shelf space all the comics take up each week at your LCS. Then they would have to rack everything new on Wednesdays. The only grocery stores that have a big magazine dept in my area are the big box Mejier stores. Toy R US have a small selection at times, mostly of the kid friendly Marvel Adventures.

I can remember when a months worth of Marvel titles would fit on one spinner rack. Now they have a glut of titles.

YouthofToday
11-01-2011, 06:28 AM

I don't know for sure, but I thought the increased price at B&N was their own mark up, not Marvels. Don't DC's books cost $3.99 there?
While its cool that B&N carries monthlies, the section they have them at my local store is a mess. They have the top part of 1 magazine rack. Granted, its a big space and they carry a lot of titles from Marvel, DC and Dark Horse, but its tough to browse. Other than the front row, you can't see any of the covers and they are in no order what so ever. The idea is good, but the execution is off.

As far selling in other places like pharmacies, etc, its really a 2 way street. I'm sure Marvel would like to have their products in those places, but like another poster said, they probably don't want to deal with it and I'm sure the profits on them aren't that great.