PDA

View Full Version : DC comic subscriptions value question

edelin
09-09-2011, 07:07 AM
I've been researching various subscriptions for the new relaunch titles, but so far all of the information I've found only concerns the timing and packaging.

I don't really care about when the comics arrive or the packaging as long as I don't miss any issues and the comics are in good condition. What I want to know is which subscription will save me the most money.

For a comparison of action comics subscriptions:
Directly from DC: ~$2.50 per issue (29.99 for 12) or ~$2.07 (if you order 5 or more subscriptions)
Mycomicshop: As low as $2.79 per issue (if you commit to a $300+ subscription?)
Milehighcomics: As low as $2.40 per issue (maximum discount of 40%, but their website says $3.49.) The website is a mess to navigate and I'm not sure if this is correct.
My local comic book store: ~$3.60 (10% off cover price)
note: I didn't factor in any shipping costs.

I've never had a subscription before so I'm wondering, is getting my comics directly from DC the best deal or are there cheaper/better options?

Kurri
09-09-2011, 08:03 AM
I go to my LCS, but would love to hear someones opinion on ordering directly from DC. Do they come bagged and boarded? on time? It really does save money in the long run (unless they charge some crazy price for shipping?)

CyberCoyote
09-09-2011, 08:04 AM
If you don't mind waiting a month out to get the books I've never had a bad experience with Discount Comicbook Services. 2.99 books average about 1.79 plus they run specials. Monthly shipping is $6.25 I think. You place your orders a couple months ahead but if you're running behind they'll accomodate you. If you get once a month shipping they usually send the whole lot out the last Wednesday of the month. They bod them up well and I've never had a damaged book, plus you can track your order once it ships.

They also have a sister website instocktrades, great discounts and I think they still do free shipping on orders over $50 there..

Rat A Tat
09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I think, if you're planning on getting more than 5 titles, DC is the cheapest way to go. Action and JL are the only ones that are $29.99 for a year. The rest are $24.99. That's including shipping, so in other words, shipping is free. Once you hit 5 titles, you take 20% off for each title, so those $24.99 become $19.99. That's about $1.66 per issue, or $2.00 for JL/Action. I don't think you're going to beat that.

Kurri
09-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I think, if you're planning on getting more than 5 titles, DC is the cheapest way to go. Action and JL are the only ones that are $29.99 for a year. The rest are $24.99. That's including shipping, so in other words, shipping is free. Once you hit 5 titles, you take 20% off for each title, so those $24.99 become $19.99. That's about $1.66 per issue, or $2.00 for JL/Action. I don't think you're going to beat that.

Do you have a DC subscription? books come bagged and boarded? good condition? usually on time?

Thanks!

Rat A Tat
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
I do not have a subscription personally (at least not yet). I was looking into it the other day though.

I haven't read anything about packaging other than it's possible your mailman might roll it up to stick it in your mailbox, so it must be envelopes. I've read that shipping times are inconsistent, sometimes coming a couple days after release, sometimes 2-4 weeks after.

I know there's a few people on the boards who have or have had a DC subscription, so hopefully someone with experience can chime in.

sethysquare
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah but if u read the description, it says they ship every other month. So each time they ship you'll receive 2 copies, and then 2 months later you'll receive another 2 copies. Its all relative to how fast you want your comics. If you cant wait, then go to LCS, if you can wait for 2 months, go subscribe from DC.

Rat A Tat
09-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah but if u read the description, it says they ship every other month.

Do you know this, or are you just surmising that from the asterisk on the subscription page? The only thing on the subscription page that mentions shipping bi-monthly is for the Cartoon Network Action Park and Looney Tunes (because the comics themselves are bi-monthly). I don't see anything else detailing the specifics of shipping schedules for the rest of the comics or in general.

sethysquare
09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Do you know this, or are you just surmising that from the asterisk on the subscription page? The only thing on the subscription page that mentions shipping bi-monthly is for the Cartoon Network Action Park and Looney Tunes (because the comics themselves are bi-monthly). I don't see anything else detailing the specifics of shipping schedules for the rest of the comics or in general.

My bad, i went to double check it again, turns out, I misread the page.

edelin
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the replies. I think I'll go with DC.

I've read the comics are delivered in clear plastic bags with 2 pieces of heavy paper/thin cardboard. Perhaps they print your address on one of these pieces. It would be great to have an actual subscriber confirm this.

I guess all that's left is deciding which comics to subscribe to.

withanx
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I personally just subscribed to 6 comics. I am a basic kind of person. Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Justice League. Plus I am buying the first issues of Catwoman and one I had never heard of called Vodoo because it sounded interesting. Anyway, I got my #1 of Detective Comics the day after the publish date, but am still waiting on my Action Comics #1. So there is at least some inconsistency in the ship dates. I actually found your post because I was curious what anyone knew about the time it takes to get comics straight from DC.

CyberCoyote
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I personally just subscribed to 6 comics. I am a basic kind of person. Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Justice League. Plus I am buying the first issues of Catwoman and one I had never heard of called Vodoo because it sounded interesting. Anyway, I got my #1 of Detective Comics the day after the publish date, but am still waiting on my Action Comics #1. So there is at least some inconsistency in the ship dates. I actually found your post because I was curious what anyone knew about the time it takes to get comics straight from DC.

withanx, can you describe the packaging Detective came in for the OP?

sethysquare
09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow. It seemed like I have a terrible terrible misconception about subscription from DC. I previously considered subscribing but thought it really sucks to wait a month before the comics arrive so I decided to give it a pass. Turns out, I read online they actually get posted 2-3 weeks after release. According to Withanx, it seems like some of them arrive 1 day after issue date. Amazing. Can anyone else share their experiences? Also does anyone know about international subscribers? How are international shipping being delayed? I've calculated, even with International shipping charge its still much cheaper than buying from LCS.
Anyone care to share on this topic???

wizzo91
09-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Ive also subscribed to 6 titles at DC Comics. I was just wondering if you get a confirmation E-Mail of some kind after you subscribe? I have tried contacting support, but they aren't answering, and I cant call because I live in Europe. So you guys think they got my request, or should I repeat the order process?

sethysquare
09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Ive also subscribed to 6 titles at DC Comics. I was just wondering if you get a confirmation E-Mail of some kind after you subscribe? I have tried contacting support, but they aren't answering, and I cant call because I live in Europe. So you guys think they got my request, or should I repeat the order process?

I tried emailing them regarding some queries but they didnt reply me.

sky dog
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Turns out, I read online they actually get posted 2-3 weeks after release. According to Withanx, it seems like some of them arrive 1 day after issue date. Amazing. Can anyone else share their experiences?
Granted, the last time I had a subscription was in 1995, but they did come a few weeks after they appeared on the shelves of my LCS. I didn't care so much back then because I was 9 and couldn't drive there every Wednesday, but nowadays when there are already 10 pages of reviews and spoilers by the time I can read them I'd be annoyed at having to wait. If you're concerned with getting a discount or have difficulty getting to a store regularly then a subscription might be a good option, but from what I've heard you will have to wait a while to get them delivered. I have a few doubles of certain issues resulting from impatience at having to wait and also from calling the DC phone number and saying I never got my issue then getting it a day or two later followed by a replacement issue sometime after that.

Matthew E
09-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I don't know what it's like now.

Years ago I had a subscription to a DC title, and it didn't work out for me. Most of the time the comic arrived on time, or even a day early (!). It was in plastic, the kind of plastic you have to tear off, and between two pieces of thick paper (I wouldn't call it cardboard). Usually folded once the long way, parallel to the spine, although this was probably the post office's fault.

Problem is, a couple of times a year, I just wouldn't get my comic book at all. And there was nothing to be done about it. I tried e-mailing the company who handled DC's subscription stuff; the e-mail bounced. I tried calling them; their phone number was attached to a machine with a full inbox. I think I eventually did get through to someone who said they'd send me a new issue in 6 to 8 weeks, but this never happened. So I had to buy my own at the comic shop, which more than canceled out the money I was saving by subscribing. I eventually wrote a letter to Paul Levitz, who was head of DC at the time, complaining, and canceled my subscription that way, and generally sorted things out with me.

But then this was years ago. Maybe they've improved their system since then. Anybody who tries it, let me know about your experience; I'd be interested to hear.

sethysquare
09-12-2011, 02:33 AM
I believe Diane Nelson is taking DC very seriously now and I am willing to give them a chance should they get back to me somehow. But I'd just like to hear more experiences from recent subscribers especially those who had subscribed from the new 52

Nova2814.1
09-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Thank you for the replies. I think I'll go with DC.

I've read the comics are delivered in clear plastic bags with 2 pieces of heavy paper/thin cardboard. Perhaps they print your address on one of these pieces. It would be great to have an actual subscriber confirm this.

I guess all that's left is deciding which comics to subscribe to.

The comics are posted in clear plastic bags, with a thin cardboard sheet. Your name and address is printed on a small mailing label which is stuck onto the plastic bag then.

Shipping time for me take a maximum of 2 weeks, usually less. (e.g. I got my copy of Flashpoint #5 a week after the in-store date) So far, i've had no issues with the condition of the comics.

wizzo91
09-12-2011, 04:29 AM
So did anyone receive any kind of confirmation after they subscribed, this is starting to worry me because how the hell should I know if the order went through?! And I don't want to subscribe again until I'm sure I didn't..

Diabog
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
You are supposed to receive an e-mail confirmation after you subscribed online.
I subscribe to 17 titles of the new 52. I order 7 online and then to another 10 by directly calling DC. As of today (Wednesday October 12) I only received 2 of them (Detective Comics #2 and Action Comics #2)
So yeah I'm still waiting for every titles released in September..
It supposed to take about 6-8 weeks for the #1 and then 2-3 weeks for the others.

MiscChoc
10-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I tried to subscribe from DC before I looked into doing it elsewhere but I never got a confirmation email and the subscription form just kept resetting after I submitted it. So I looked elsewhere.

I'm currently doing my subscriptions at tfaw.com out of Portland. They have no minimum amount of subscriptions, and for .25 cents an issue they bag n board em. If you get 1 or 2 in a week they usually arrive 3-4 days after release, but any more than that is 7-14 days. Great condition too! Their discounts on pre-orders are good, but it only justifies paying for the shipping if you subscribe to 10+ titles.