PDA

View Full Version : Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato Interview

mosdef
06-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Newsarama has an interview with Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato on them writing The Flash.

Interview (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Manapul-Buccellato-DCNu-Flash-110603.html)

Buried Alien
06-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Yay, info! :smile:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Shurato2099
06-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Sounds like they're going pretty fresh with the Flash, and that can be a good thing. If we're getting a Barry Allen who is still learning what he can do and what his limitations are, though ... that sounds like a very early Barry. Not a bad thing, but I wonder how much development is being pushed back to be re-worked as the new title goes along.

Buried Alien
06-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Sounds like they're going pretty fresh with the Flash, and that can be a good thing. If we're getting a Barry Allen who is still learning what he can do and what his limitations are, though ... that sounds like a very early Barry. Not a bad thing, but I wonder how much development is being pushed back to be re-worked as the new title goes along.

Maybe DC should give Barry the "YEAR ONE/MAN OF STEEL" treatment: provide his updated origin in a miniseries that then gives way to regular stories set in the present.

DisneysFolly
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
They got quite defensive about the question of lateness, suggesting they were never late in the recent series.

Yeah okay. Maybe we're all just Reverse-Flashes. Or something.

Justice~!
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Or that the delay might have been a writer thing. Always possible.

Uxas
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess he was implying that the reboot had something to do with the art problems? I'll give this a chance, but I'm not exactly thrilled.

Buried Alien
06-03-2011, 03:32 PM
They got quite defensive about the question of lateness, suggesting they were never late in the recent series.

Yeah okay. Maybe we're all just Reverse-Flashes. Or something.

They seemed to be hinting that the lateness of the book was due to reasons that did not include their delivering the artwork late, but are not at liberty to say more than that.

JonQCitizen
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Yay, info! :smile:

I'm really excited to see how these two do with The Flash! I'm actually really looking forward to all the artists given a shot to write by DC. I think it's a natural transition from artist to writer in comics, and I'll enjoy watching them grow (like Tony Daniel has writing Batman).

(reply to your signature:) So true, and it's beginning to make me "snarky" at them. They pomp and ruffle their feathers about how they are great fans of a said character, but then jump ship if it's not EXACTLY how they want it to be.....sad, and it makes me question their love and loyalty to said character in the first place.

Jody Garland
06-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Sounds to me like Barry looses his memory or something after Flashpoint. Assuming they are being truthful and not speaking double speak about this not being a reboot.

Imitorar
06-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Maybe DC should give Barry the "YEAR ONE/MAN OF STEEL" treatment: provide his updated origin in a miniseries that then gives way to regular stories set in the present.

Five pages was enough for him back in Showcase #4. And everyone loved Morrison's condensation of Superman's origin. A superhero origin doesn't need more than one to five pages. Just enough to explain who they are and how they got their powers and why they decided to fight crime. I'd rather get right to the new stories than see even three issues of Flash: Year One.

Godlike13
06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
I think my editors knew I'd been interested in doing it. But it was certainly a surprise when our editor, Eddie Berganza, asked me if I wanted to take a shot at writing the book. My first response, honestly, was, "Seriously?"

Yaaa, not exactly what i wanted to hear there.

BTW, im seriously worried about Wally...

Buried Alien
06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Five pages was enough for him back in Showcase #4. And everyone loved Morrison's condensation of Superman's origin. A superhero origin doesn't need more than one to five pages. Just enough to explain who they are and how they got their powers and why they decided to fight crime. I'd rather get right to the new stories than see even three issues of Flash: Year One.

It depends on how deep the reboot for the character is. If Post-FLASHPOINT Barry is pretty much the same Barry we've known since the Fifties, then the Fifties origin can stand. If this indeed a new Barry for a new age, though, then a YEAR ONE deal will need to be the foundation for the new interpretation of the classic character.

EMeadow
06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
They seemed to be hinting that the lateness of the book was due to reasons that did not include their delivering the artwork late, but are not at liberty to say more than that.

Manapul was too busy with his Beast Hunters show on the Syfy channel.

I hope when they gave him this book they told him he's not allowed to take part in Season 2 so he could make sure the book comes out on time.

Its not like he's a notoriously late artist or anything. He never had any problems when working with Top Cow.

mosdef
06-03-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm interested in seeing their take on Barry and who his supporting cast will be

JonQCitizen
06-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Possibly, at the end of the first issue of all the individual character books, they could do a 4-5 page "updated" origin. That way everyone picking up the #1 now knows the "basics" of the character. Delving into several Year Ones, or Secret Origin mini-series (though cool) may not be the way to go.

Lancerman
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Would just like to bring a small portion of this to everyones attention.

"Buccellato: As DC has said, this not a reboot. But obviously, we're presenting Flash to an audience that may not have ever known who Barry Allen is. So we get to have a fresh take on it, and we get to basically tell the story of who the Flash is, and part of that is told by showing the character learning who he is, and learning what his limitations are, so you'll see much of this through his eyes. Our Flash is learning. Barry is learning, personally and as a superhero."

Take that for what you will.

Sabrewulf
06-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I don't get it. These guys haven't written anything before?

How the hell did they get one of DCs top selling titles then? This is just worrying. Flash has always been my favourite DC character.

mwiggins
06-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Yaaa, not exactly what i wanted to hear there.

BTW, im seriously worried about Wally...

Well Manapul grew up on Wally. Wally was "his" Flash, unlike Johns, from what he said when he was moving from Adventure to the Flash.

El Sombrero
06-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Great interview. I have really high confidence in this creative team. Manapul's art is so great for the Flash, and if it's his all-time favorite character, I think he'll know what he's doing in terms of tone and characterization, etc. He & Buccellato are really creative so I expect some cool stuff here. I'm kinda surprised they announced this, since it would seem to fall under the "non-disclosured info area," but I'm also really happy they confirmed that it's Barry in the book.

Imitorar
06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
It depends on how deep the reboot for the character is. If Post-FLASHPOINT Barry is pretty much the same Barry we've known since the Fifties, then the Fifties origin can stand. If this indeed a new Barry for a new age, though, then a YEAR ONE deal will need to be the foundation for the new interpretation of the classic character.

But would he need a full Year One? Couldn't he just have a few pages to get him his powers and work from there? Then again, I liked Born to Run very much, so if the origin was part of a larger Year One story I wouldn't mind too much. But honestly, I'd rather just get to the part where he fights supervillains and aliens. If there's going to be a Year One, I wouldn't want it in the main series. And I wouldn't want it longer than three issues, regardless. Origin stories are all very nice, but they're only an excuse to explain who a character is and how he came to be. The important part is the adventures of the character after the origin. That's what I'm paying to read every month.

Manapul was too busy with his Beast Hunters show on the Syfy channel.
Manapul said that that only threw him off by a few days, and that he recovered from it quickly thanks to lead-in time on the book. Whatever the issue was, it apparently wasn't with him. People just assumed that it was Manapul's fault because it usually is the artist, and Johns isn't a writer known for turning in late scripts.

Well Manapul grew up on Wally. Wally was "his" Flash, unlike Johns, from what he said when he was moving from Adventure to the Flash.
Wally and Barry were both Johns' Flash, since he started reading comics around the Crisis, and so was reading both Wally's series as it came out, and Barry's series in back issues. Johns has said that his favorite character was the Flash. Not Barry or Wally, but the Flash. And his writing bears this out. He wrote a very well received Wally run in the past, so I'm not sure why people have suddenly decided that he always loved Barry more and never really liked Wally. Besides, if Manapul is writing Barry, and he says he is, then I should hope he's familiar with Barry's series. Barry's a different character from Wally and needs to be written as such. I would hope he's at least read The Life Story of the Flash, if not the full Broome-Infantino run and some highlights from the Bates run. And Brian Buccellato is co-writing, and we don't know who his preferred Flash is.

Buried Alien
06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
But would he need a full Year One? Couldn't he just have a few pages to get him his powers and work from there? Then again, I liked Born to Run very much, so if the origin was part of a larger Year One story I wouldn't mind too much. But honestly, I'd rather just get to the part where he fights supervillains and aliens. If there's going to be a Year One, I wouldn't want it in the main series. And I wouldn't want it longer than three issues, regardless. Origin stories are all very nice, but they're only an excuse to explain who a character is and how he came to be. The important part is the adventures of the character after the origin. That's what I'm paying to read every month.

Again, it depends *entirely* on how different a character Post-FLASHPOINT Barry will be from Pre-FLASHPOINT Barry. If Post-FLASHPOINT, the only thing different about Barry is a new costume, then fine...we'll just go with what we've always known. If this Barry is altogether different in specific details from the character we've known all these years, and nothing from SHOWCASE # 4/LIFE STORY OF THE FLASH/REBIRTH applies anymore, then a YEAR ONE-style origin will probably be a good idea.

Karl O'Neill
06-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Wish a more established writer got the gig, but I don't know, maybe the writing might change my mind when I sample issue 1 of The Flash.

ReservoirDawgs
06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I am kind of curious as to who's fault it was that the Flash had shipping problems. I had always assumed Manapul because Johns really isn't known for turning in late scripts and because issues 1-6 (books Manapul was on) were always delayed but 6-7 (drawn by Kollins) came out two weeks after each other. Then once Road to Flashpoint (drawn by Manapul) happened the delays started again. If he's being truthful (which I'm sure he is) then that would really only point to Johns for changing the scripts or being late...which seem weird to me because Kollins was able to come in on short notice and do his issues fine. Very curious.

ReservoirDawgs
06-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Wally and Barry were both Johns' Flash, since he started reading comics around the Crisis, and so was reading both Wally's series as it came out, and Barry's series in back issues. Johns has said that his favorite character was the Flash. Not Barry or Wally, but the Flash. And his writing bears this out. He wrote a very well received Wally run in the past, so I'm not sure why people have suddenly decided that he always loved Barry more and never really liked Wally. Besides, if Manapul is writing Barry, and he says he is, then I should hope he's familiar with Barry's series. Barry's a different character from Wally and needs to be written as such. I would hope he's at least read The Life Story of the Flash, if not the full Broome-Infantino run and some highlights from the Bates run. And Brian Buccellato is co-writing, and we don't know who his preferred Flash is.

Much more eloquent than I could have put it :) .