PDA

View Full Version : Apparently she won't be just getting a new costume post-Flashpoint...

DarkKnghtJared
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
...But a new, super-boyfriend too! (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-hooking-up-of-superman-and-wonder-woman/) :eek:

Outside of it being another possible hint of taking away the Lois/Clark thing (which I'm not really a fan of), if I push that aside and just think of the story potential....it could be an interesting way to bring in new readers, up to a certain point.

In this hypothetical version, where Wonder Woman and Superman were completely single, having the two books related to a certain degree and having them on dates would be interesting...but ultimately, I would hope that they eventually find their own love interests unique to their own books--Diana with Steve or someone new, Clark with who he damn well belongs to, and that is Lois Lane.

West Mantooth
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
yeah, that's what WW needs. To be the giant roadblock between the inevitable destiny of Superman and Lois.

ANGGSSST!!!!

Satch
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM

SOMEBODY FROM HER OWN BOOK!

What is so HARD about this????

*smashes head into wall*

mathew101281
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
...But a new, super-boyfriend too! (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/31/flashpost-the-hooking-up-of-superman-and-wonder-woman/) :eek:

Outside of it being another possible hint of taking away the Lois/Clark thing (which I'm not really a fan of), if I push that aside and just think of the story potential....it could be an interesting way to bring in new readers, up to a certain point.

In this hypothetical version, where Wonder Woman and Superman were completely single, having the two books related to a certain degree and having them on dates would be interesting...but ultimately, I would hope that they eventually find their own love interests unique to their own books--Diana with Steve or someone new, Clark with who he damn well belongs to, and that is Lois Lane.

Wonderwoman is the only franchise in the Major comic universes built around a female character trying to match her up with Batman or Superman robs her on one of the things that seperate her from every other Superheroine. Wonderwoman isn't Supergirl, Hawkwoman or any of those other knock off characters, don't treat her like one. Wonderwoman's potential love interest should come from her own corner of the DCU.

Electric Version
05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Lois should get to hook up with Steve, then.

TripleX
05-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Lois should get to hook up with Steve, then.

Yeah, and good riddance to both of them.

Man, I'm so excited by this new turn of events and can't wait to see how it all plays out!
We're cooking with gas now!

NotSuper
05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I like the idea that anything can happen with characters now. No more of the flaccid "things have to be a certain way no matter what" mentality.

Sacred Knight
05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
yeah, that's what WW needs. To be the giant roadblock between the inevitable destiny of Superman and Lois.

ANGGSSST!!!!
Well, they've been married for 15 years. A couple for a whole lot longer. IF the plan is to undo that now, I don't think its inevitable destiny again for those two. In the past the appeal of the Lois and Clark dynamic was the payoff to seeing them get together. We've seen that now. If they reboot, they're really under no pressure to go back there again anytime soon, if at all. I mean, I doubt it'll be taken completely off the table, just saying that they can at least say they've gone there once before and not feel in any particular hurry to play that card again for a long while. Just depends, all bets are kinda off the table now though.

NotSuper
05-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Personally, I don't think Superman and Lois are "destined" to be together. The only reason they're together is due to Lois being the first love interest Superman had. There's no rule that says they must be together.

vaffrey
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Wow. This whole thing smells of desperation.

Maybe the new Superman title isn't Superman #1 but some sort of new Mr. & Mrs. Superman title.

Sacred Knight
05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd be getting desperate too. Superman's had no direction since they bailed on and reset the New Krypton storyline, and WW changes direction with each new creative team. If putting them together on a title helped, I'd be all for it at this stage.

West Mantooth
05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, they've been married for 15 years. A couple for a whole lot longer. IF the plan is to undo that now, I don't think its inevitable destiny again for those two. In the past the appeal of the Lois and Clark dynamic was the payoff to seeing them get together. We've seen that now. If they reboot, they're really under no pressure to go back there again anytime soon, if at all. I mean, I doubt it'll be taken completely off the table, just saying that they can at least say they've gone there once before and not feel in any particular hurry to play that card again for a long while. Just depends, all bets are kinda off the table now though.

I'm not saying they're going jump the broom the second he lays eyes on her.

The days of Luci and Desi are over. The entire modern writing style is will they/won't they based on misunderstandings and romantic roadblocks. Booth and Bones or Castle and Beckett. Ship Wars.Lois isn't just going to disappear from the Daily Planet. She'll still be the one with the office banter and being rescued.

They had to have Jean Grey freaking dead before Emma got her shot. And they still tease us with her return and the insecurities that she's still his true love.

Eliseu Gouveia
05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Personally, I don't think Superman and Lois are "destined" to be together. The only reason they're together is due to Lois being the first love interest Superman had. There's no rule that says they must be together.

Agreed.
I liked Superman much more when everything was up in the air.
He could end with Lois, Lana, Lori, Maxima..... it wasnt written in stone.

But back on the subject of WW/Supes, and I quote Satch....

SOMEBODY FROM HER OWN BOOK!

Terrifan2
05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I for one will think it will be interesting if they go will this pair of Wonder Woman and Superman. Who says in a few years they will not go back to the respective others Steve Trevor for WW and Lois Lane for Superman. We have seen them play around with this pair in Alternate Universes. I will be interested to see where this goes.

vaffrey
05-31-2011, 08:03 PM
The entire modern writing style is will they/won't they based on misunderstandings and romantic roadblocks.

Yes, I believe the will-they-or-won't-they story was created in modern times. Thanks to that genius Willie Shakes in the 1960s sitcom "Taming," featuring iconic romcom couple Peter and Katie. (Totes jumped the shark when they got married.)

Badou
05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I can't see how this is good for her. I just think that in a relationship with someone like Superman her development is going to always come second to his, but oh well. Maybe they are trying to pair her off with a big named character to help her character appeal to more people, but I don't know.

BYC
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM
You know what? Why not. It's something new, maybe people will like it, or maybe it'll suck.

I think DC's overall plan is to do this new continuity. And it sucks ass, they'll use another event to close it and restore the traditional continuity.

Superman and Wonder Woman can help put on each other's chokers :smile:

Nyssane
05-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Nothing about this sounds good. :eek:

americanwonder
05-31-2011, 11:25 PM
I like Superman. A lot. But... I don't think I like this idea.

Sounds desperately lacking in creativity. And I don't want to see WW tied-up in the Super-family. She deserves her own story and her own corner of the DCU.

Hope for the best?

Big<3
05-31-2011, 11:47 PM
...So back to the whole Wonder Woman is waiting for Lois Lane to die off? Say what you will, but that is so much more depressing then pinning after Batman.

....This has to be false! Come on breaking up Superman and Lois Lane? It wont last, and then we will be forced to watch Superman fall for Lois, and Diana will be the one looking pathetic. Why bother? Wait, what happened to the whole Aquaman thing? Are they just shopping the ol' girl around? She looks like a homie hopper ! Not cool DC. Not cool at all!

brettc1
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM

Oh for frak's sake....

DarkKnghtJared
06-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I for one will think it will be interesting if they go will this pair of Wonder Woman and Superman. Who says in a few years they will not go back to the respective others Steve Trevor for WW and Lois Lane for Superman. We have seen them play around with this pair in Alternate Universes. I will be interested to see where this goes.

Yeah--ultimately, I would much rather have Superman stick with Lois and Wonder Woman have her own love interest.

However, if we HAVE to lose the marriage, then having a legit, in-continuity relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman for a year or so would at least be an interesting direction to take things before doing what they need to do with the characters.

Sacred Knight
06-01-2011, 01:09 AM
I have an acknowledged bias for Clark and Wonder Woman over Bruce and Wonder Woman but one area where I'm not going to be hypocritical is that I don't want her overshadowed. Only reason I'm not as concerned with that idea when it comes to Superman these days as opposed to Batman is because well, this is an odd time in comics in the sense that Superman is not the most popular guy in DC anymore. Batman is. Superman's recognizably hasn't changed a lick, but people tend to forget that he's not faring a whole ton better than Diana right now in terms of direction and popularity. If they want to try and use an idea such as this to kinda get both characters back out there for an easy shot in the arm, I don't have much issue with it. Unless the stories really blew. And if Steve comes back in her own title like we all think, there's that for people to look forward to developing down the line after this.

But I've put too much thought into this, so watch it turn out this particular rumor is false. :eek:

DarkKnghtJared
06-01-2011, 01:30 AM
I have an acknowledged bias for Clark and Wonder Woman over Bruce and Wonder Woman but one area where I'm not going to be hypocritical is that I don't want her overshadowed. Only reason I'm not as concerned with that idea when it comes to Superman these days as opposed to Batman is because well, this is an odd time in comics in the sense that Superman is not the most popular guy in DC anymore. Batman is.

I think it will depend on who gets put on Wonder Woman--because Morrison's going to be put on Superman, and if that doesn't give that line a shot in the arm, then absolutely nothing will. If we don't want Diana to be over-shadowed, we have to have someone who can not only stack up to Morrison, but hopefully work together so that, if this does turn out to be true, they can work out how the relationship would work.

dshipp17
06-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Going for a romance angle to the Wonder Woman stories is probably a logical idea, but, trying to start making Wonder Woman and Superman into a couple is too generic and expected for me. I was hoping for romantic tensions between Wonder Woman and characters in her book like Dr. Psycho and maybe characters from the Green Lantern book, for creative and unexpected purposes sake to spark at least peculiar interests in some, but welcomed interest in me. This sounds like speculation by a fan who is pressing for this romantic development, but I pressed for the above romantic course a lot, as it would be less expected by some fans for the character, but more interest inspiring. :wink:

zryson
06-01-2011, 04:25 AM
if true its a stupid move by dc. but i wont be buying their products anymore off the racks so it saves me money!

lariatofhestia
06-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Hot damn. No, don't play with me. And if Morrison is writing them? Now that is going to be very very interesting.

But ya know rebooted young characters? Come on, what does that have to do with Lois and Clark or Diana and Steve? I hate hate the idea that these heroes via Lois and Steve are just made into bloodless passionless asexual people who can't explore their sexuality and the dating scene with people they actually WOULD realistically be attracted to. Why wouldn't a young Clark and Diana not fancy each other and try to date? Every new tv series, movie, cartoon is essentially a reboot. Why should Clark be pining and chasing after Lois or she after Steve so young? That is not going this time around. Bah, let them date and date properly and who says they going to be exclusive? It might on and off sexual tension etc etc but if they get some in the bargain...good for them!:biggrin:

hellacre
06-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Well this is not a new idea. A young Clark and Diana were into each other post crisis. Though DC never really explored it much. Action 600 was them trying to go on a date and Darkseid shows up and Clark does an about face and that was it. Done and dusted in one issue. Even up to Smallville creators if they had gotten the rights to WW are on record to say they would have explored the romantic angle with Clark and Diana as comics teased and Lois had her fun with Arthur and Ollie. JL/JLU decided to go with the Bat teases. So I agree that young people dating etc...what does that have to do with Steve and Lois or marriage etc?

I think if this is going to be interesting we need to have them explore what they never did before. The reporter and ambassador or secret agent angle or whatever they make Diana this time and not only their heroic personas. That could be very interesting seeing how they do have contrasts in background but similarities in missions. Clark is not only a hero or as Morrison a envisions him...a King in the making...he is an everyman too. Diana is already groomed for leadership but sort of metaphorically comes down to earth and here to teach and learn. Again it could just be all rumors but as an avowed Kal and Diana shipper, I would be pleased to see this relationship explored.

bulldog_milt
06-01-2011, 05:40 AM
I think if this is going to be interesting we need to have them explore what they never did before. The reporter and ambassador or secret agent angle or whatever they make Diana this time and not only their heroic personas. That could be very interesting seeing how they do have contrasts in background but similarities in missions. Clark is not only a hero or as Morrison a envisions him...a King in the making...he is an everyman too. Diana is already groomed for leadership but sort of metaphorically comes down to earth and here to teach and learn. Again it could just be all rumors but as an avowed Kal and Diana shipper, I would be pleased to see this relationship explored.

And that goes along with the quotes from Johns that they will be exploring the humanity behind the costumes more. So it might be that we get more 'drama' from their Secret IDs... I imagine, however, that the JL will be the superhero side... Here is hoping that this is a good 'reboot' for WW because she really deserves to have some good things happen to her...

Fused
06-01-2011, 05:56 AM
BleedingCool sounds like the supermarket tabloid rag of comic books anymore. What's disconcerting is how they were right about the renumberings...

CarolStrick
06-01-2011, 07:12 AM
...SOMEBODY FROM HER OWN BOOK!

*smashes head into wall*

I have some extra-strength aspirin in my workbag. There's enough for everyone.

spark627
06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
I have a hard time believing WW will date Superman. If continuity is mostly sticking they wont break up the most iconic comic book couple.

brettc1
06-01-2011, 07:30 AM
One thing I find funny in the listed article is this...

Because this may be as a result of DC Universe/Flashpoint merged continuity, with a non-married Superman and a non-married Lois Lane. Without a messy divorce, without a deal with the devil and without some kind of memory bomb. That aspect is on more firmer footing.

LOL - yeah, its real simple. You just reinvent the history of the entire universe through a reality changing cosmic event. That is much more realistic than the ideas listed above. :tongue:

swatkat
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Somehow, I fail to believe that Superman/Lois Lane will not be a thing for very long. They can't be that stupid, right?

NotSuper
06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Somehow, I fail to believe that Superman/Lois Lane will not be a thing for very long. They can't be that stupid, right?
>implying that Superman and Lois have to be together

No, they don't.

arrghyle
06-01-2011, 09:29 AM
The quote from Bleeding Cool:

Okay, out of all the post-Flashpoint stories Im running, this is the one on the least firm foundations. But, if true, will have the biggest multi-media implications.

Im told that Superman and Wonder Woman will be getting together.

In a very media friendly fashion, indeed.

1) It acknowledges that this rumor is not firm. I breathe a sigh of relief here.
2) It hints that the relationship is media-friendly. I wonder if they might have a public relationship, real or media-arranged. This could be a complete fabrication of the media and they think it's funny.

Of course, I'm speculating based on speculation of specualtion -- creating a world I want instead of what they may give us.

DarkKnghtJared
06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
2) It hints that the relationship is media-friendly. I wonder if they might have a public relationship, real or media-arranged. This could be a complete fabrication of the media and they think it's funny.

Hmm...so in this, Lois and Clark could still have a relationship; but, to make it so that people don't make assumptions as to Superman's secret identity in relation to his...close friendship with Lois Lane, in public they make it so that Superman and Wonder Woman are in a deep relationship.

...That could be interesting too. Clever way of having your cake and eating it, too.

swatkat
06-01-2011, 09:36 AM

No, they don't.

Honestly, I'm not much of a Superman fan, and I don't know Lois Lane very well beyond the little I've read of her in assorted titles. I'm not speaking as a shipper when I say they have to be together - I simply think the pop-cultural significance of Superman/Lois Lane - and Lois herself as a character - is such that DC won't stay away from it very long.

Tiberious
06-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Or maybe Diana and Kal will date and break up and that will cause tension in the JLA and make it hard for Lois to compare herself to the perfect ex girl friend :-)

swatkat
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Or maybe Diana and Kal will date and break up and that will cause tension in the JLA and make it hard for Lois to compare herself to the perfect ex girl friend :-)

The jealousy storyline is really overplayed in the media, IMHO. I'd rather Diana and Lois be friends than putting them up against each other.

rude.cherub
06-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I'm not much of a Superman fan, and I don't know Lois Lane very well beyond the little I've read of her in assorted titles. I'm not speaking as a shipper when I say they have to be together - I simply think the pop-cultural significance of Superman/Lois Lane - and Lois herself as a character - is such that DC won't stay away from it very long.

It's a known trope, people expect this - they don't get together, they know the love triangle aspect more than they do the marriage.

From TV shows we know it's hard to get past the finale of marrying the two will they won't they couples.

For me, as Superman fan and a Wonder Woman fan, I see a relationship as interesting.

Lois Lane is a pop icon, but as long as she is Superman's girlfriend, that is all she is in the public eye.

Freeing her up from that could allow her character to grow as title in her own right.

She has all the basics of a superhero in any case, dead parent, bad dad, weapons training, access to military tech.

Put WW and S together and they are still individually recognisable.

Put them together and it's brangelina in comics.

Put them with Lois or Steve, = same old same old.

nightforce
06-01-2011, 11:16 AM
if true its a stupid move by dc. but i wont be buying their products anymore off the racks so it saves me money!

I have to say I have been saving money. And it is good for my wallet. I am sure you'll be ok with that buddy if you saved yourself the money and tis horrid DC Mess.

Halo Jones
06-01-2011, 11:46 AM

No, they don't.

I disagree. I really don't see how Lois Lane isn't the one that Supes is suppose to be with. Hell, if the K-Metal story had happened, in the Golden Age they would have been a crime fighting Supercouple.

nightforce
06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I personally do NOT want to see Wonder Woman and Superman together anymore than I want to see Batman and Wonder Woman together.

I always felt that Batman and Catwoman were the "Pair"

Superman and Lois are the married couple, to split them up would be like watching your mom and dad split up

And Wonder Woman, her longest beau has been Steve Trevor. Bring him back for good

DarkKnghtJared
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
I disagree. I really don't see how Lois Lane isn't the one that Supes is suppose to be with. Hell, if the K-Metal story had happened, in the Golden Age they would have been a crime fighting Supercouple.

K-Metal story?

Halo Jones
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
K-Metal story?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_K-Metal_from_Krypton

It was a story in which some mysterious metal (kind of a precursor to kryptonite) would lead to Lois finding out that Clark is Superman. I can't find it right off the bat, but there's also some art of Lois as Superwoman floating around that was drawn (which I believe was homaged in ASS issue where Lois gets Supes power for a day).

thepenguin
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Lois and Clark is only a phenomena that came via TV of the 90ties and it's foundation is that she is human and she and she alone tethers him to humanity and gives him the reason to want to be a hero. Utter BS really since I think he is a better and more complex man than that and it is not one person to gives him focus. Making her into Superwoman undermines and contradicts all the reason Clois shippers say she is important. It means him and Wonder Woman make even more sense that he can work with someone meta. For decades WW and SM in were about the UST and there was no marriage. So 1996 marriage does not define 70 years of a mythos. And if Lois is going to live with him, work with him in the Planet AND fight baddies...kill the title one time.

You might as well give Steve Trevor some powers too. Nothing stopping old Zeus to make him WonderMan, is there? Once again as with SuperLois,it will kill the title right away.

NotSuper
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh please. A non-published story is your "evidence" that they're supposed to be together? That's not a good argument at all.

NotSuper
06-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Lois and Clark is only a phenomena that came via TV of the 90ties and it's foundation is that she is human and she and she alone tethers him to humanity and gives him the reason to want to be a hero. Utter BS really since I think he is a better and more complex man than that and it is not one person to gives him focus.
Well said. The idea that Lois tethers Superman to humanity is kind of insulting, actually. It's a way of giving other people the glory that belongs to Superman. This is probably because Superman's goodness makes some people feel insecure, thus the need to drag him down or "explain away" his goodness by making excuses for it.

TripleX
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I thought Ma and Pa Kent tethered him to humanity? *shrugs*

Halo Jones
06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Oh please. A non-published story is your "evidence" that they're supposed to be together? That's not a good argument at all.

Not my evidence as a whole, just part of it. She's basically been his love interest since the character's inception, and as that story illustrates, were to be together by the original creators. I mean, honestly, what's your "evidence" they weren't meant to be?

Lois and Clark is only a phenomena that came via TV of the 90ties and it's foundation is that she is human and she and she alone tethers him to humanity and gives him the reason to want to be a hero. Utter BS really since I think he is a better and more complex man than that and it is not one person to gives him focus. Making her into Superwoman undermines and contradicts all the reason Clois shippers say she is important. It means him and Wonder Woman make even more sense that he can work with someone meta. For decades WW and SM in were about the UST and there was no marriage. So 1996 marriage does not define 70 years of a mythos. And if Lois is going to live with him, work with him in the Planet AND fight baddies...kill the title one time.

You might as well give Steve Trevor some powers too. Nothing stopping old Zeus to make him WonderMan, is there? Once again as with SuperLois,it will kill the title right away.

It only came about in the '90s? What about that long running series, Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane that preceded that by a few decades?

DarkKnghtJared
06-01-2011, 01:03 PM
It only came about in the '90s? What about that long running series, Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane that preceded that by a few decades?

Ultimately I agree with you, but to be fair, a lot of that Lois Lane book was about her having to deal with other prospective interests, like Lana Lang.

Halo Jones
06-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Ultimately I agree with you, but to be fair, a lot of that Lois Lane book was about her having to deal with other prospective interests, like Lana Lang.

True, but my point is that the title alone specifies that connection of them being together. To claim the pairing of these two was something that came from the '90s is just...not accurate at all.

stillanerd
06-01-2011, 01:24 PM
The latest update about this from Rich Johnson: (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/01/flashpost-the-morning-after-the-night-before/)

But as to that story about the Lois Lane/Clark Kent marriage disappearing, I received more confirmation overnight that this the way things are going, including Superman getting down and jiggy with Wonder Woman. This is your new DC Universe folks!

Also, apparently Wonder Woman will not be the only female superhero who will be wearing pants/leggings.

"Flashpost: DC Women to Wear Trousers" (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/01/flashpost-dc-women-to-wear-trousers/)

Satch
06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
The latest update about this from Rich Johnson: (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/01/flashpost-the-morning-after-the-night-before/)

Also, apparently Wonder Woman will not be the only female superhero who will be wearing pants/leggings.

"Flashpost: DC Women to Wear Trousers" (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/01/flashpost-dc-women-to-wear-trousers/)

Changing Power Girl's costume would absolutely crush me (and I'm a woman!)

vaffrey
06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
If it means no more Wonderthongs, that's a good thing. It's just ridiculous, even after making the imaginative leap to imagine a world with brightly colored superheroes, to imagine a superheroine fighting evildoers in a thong.

Magic halters that never fall down are another matter altogether. But seriously -- thongs. Thongs. "No, Power Girl, you may not sit in the Batmobile. And don't count on getting a chair at the JSA table, either."

mathew101281
06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Well said. The idea that Lois tethers Superman to humanity is kind of insulting, actually. It's a way of giving other people the glory that belongs to Superman. This is probably because Superman's goodness makes some people feel insecure, thus the need to drag him down or "explain away" his goodness by making excuses for it.

Sure DC finally married them in the 90's but only after toying with the idea for decades. Sure Superman had other potential love interests, But Lois was by far the main one, all those what if stories from the Silver age have to account for something.

Sacred Knight
06-01-2011, 03:35 PM
If they do go in this direction, and put the two together, and further finally not shy away from a sexual relationship in regards to Wonder Woman, that particular cat will finally be out of the bag. It'll no longer be taboo. And its not like they'll be together forever, and thus in the future when developing possible romance stories for Diana, they might not feel the need to be so incredibly prude with her anymore. That could be one fringe benefit of the idea; writers not being forbidden from having Diana even touch another guy the wrong way.

Changing Power Girl's costume would absolutely crush me (and I'm a woman!)

Something tells me cleavage will still be perfectly acceptable. They'll probably give her some new pants but I bet anything she'll still have the boob window.

Tiberious
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
If they do go in this direction, and put the two together, and further finally not shy away from a sexual relationship in regards to Wonder Woman, that particular cat will finally be out of the bag. It'll no longer be taboo. And its not like they'll be together forever, and thus in the future when developing possible romance stories for Diana, they might not feel the need to be so incredibly prude with her anymore. That could be one fringe benefit of the idea; writers not being forbidden from having Diana even touch another guy the wrong way.

Something tells me cleavage will still be perfectly acceptable. They'll probably give her some new pants but I bet anything she'll still have the boob window.

Wonder Woman have sex??? Are you crazy!!!

Mmmmm I love the Bacon Age already.

robenson
06-01-2011, 04:06 PM
I, for one, would be THRILLED if such rumor were true. This is a new era, and DC is trying to apply a change. Of course, change is never embraced by everyone at first, but only time will tell as long as creativity in the works is applied.

While, I like Lois Lane, I must say that after a while, the idea of her and Superman was becoming too predictable. She is in danger, he saves her. He is fighting some menace, she watches in awe, etc. etc.

Time for something new, now by pairing him with Wonder-Woman you have more to work with. The sky is the limit literally; especially since she can fight alongside Superman, save Superman as often as he saves her, among other things. Can you guys just imagine the various angles here? No more predictability.

Now, how exactly can one overshadow the other? Wonder-Woman is possibly the most famous heroine in comics, and Superman is also very popular. Both characters are well known and would retain their own comic issues. Superman does not have to be in every single Wonder-Woman issue, nor does Wonder-Woman in all of his.

Superman has to be with Lois Lane?
Things change. Superman is Superman with or without Lois Lane. And, as far as I am concerned, that is what matters.

Lois Lane is his link to humanity?
Since when? If that were true then his adoptive parents who instilled the moral values that make him Superman were part of a dream he had.

I am looking forward to this change (if true).

"Real Eyes Realize Real Lies"

RealWonderman
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I, for one, would be THRILLED if such rumor were true. This is a new era, and DC is trying to apply a change. Of course, change is never embraced by everyone at first, but only time will tell as long as creativity in the works is applied.

While, I like Lois Lane, I must say that after a while, the idea of her and Superman was becoming too predictable. She is in danger, he saves her. He is fighting some menace, she watches in awe, etc. etc.

Time for something new, now by pairing him with Wonder-Woman you have more to work with. The sky is the limit literally; especially since she can fight alongside Superman, save Superman as often as he saves her, among other things. Can you guys just imagine the various angles here? No more predictability.

Now, how exactly can one overshadow the other? Wonder-Woman is possibly the most famous heroine in comics, and Superman is also very popular. Both characters are well known and would retain their own comic issues. Superman does not have to be in every single Wonder-Woman issue, nor does Wonder-Woman in all of his.

Things change. Superman is Superman with or without Lois Lane. And, as far as I am concerned, that is what matters.

Since when? If that were true then his adoptive parents who instilled the moral values that make him Superman were part of a dream he had.

Agreed 100%!

Zagreus
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I may actually buy Justice League for this very possiblity. Of course, if Wonder Woman were real and Superman were real and they were single they would be interested in each other and curious. If you look at it from that creative standpoint then why not go there. They're both in the same field. They are both outsiders with powers and abilities that few can understand or even comprehend. They can be with each other physically in ways that they can't with other mere mortals. They both have high moral values. OF COURSE there would be chemistry. Not to say that they're traditional partners hold no value (Steve, Lois) but there would be probably be some initial attraction and curiosity.

Basically, what I'm hearing is that many posters don't trust that the writers will do justice to such a pairing or treat WW well or respectfully here when it (inevitably) ends, or that she will come out looking worse for the wear. I for one, am curious about it. Sounds like fun!

ImFanci
06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

I agree, too! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Radone
06-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I remember being very unnerved by the changes that came to BSG when it was relaunched. Starbuck as a woman? Colonel Tigh as a drunk? Of course, BSG lost traction when the writers ran out of steam, but for 4 seasons, wow...awesome writing.
I am thrilled that a corporation is taking such a risk. And here I thought they played things safe. And they could still. They could still go with the write-by-numbers routine and keep the whole, "this is how it was done in the past, so this is how it shall be done henceforth" routine. I'm happy that they may not.
No one knows what can happen to the characters, which to me, is refreshing.
As for Diana and SM, I would be overjoyed if DC had the guts to put them in a relationship. So many ways to make their exterior battles a reflection on whatever conflicts they may be having as a couple.
Lois and Clark: I've always wondered, what does he do emotionally for her. She's a complex woman, but I don't see that he ever brings her anything that would bring her joy. Their relationship is always about 'telling' how important she is to him but never 'showing'. It's poor writing to do one and not the other, but sadly, that seems to be how their relationship is typically explained. Even on Smallville, which should have an easier time of showing and not telling given that it's a visual medium, they still never really succeeded at such a basic task of storytelling.

Jabare
06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Wonder Woman can now be paired up with Superman. They don't have to get married, but the two of them dating works perfectly.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/8190/250737-58966-wonder-woman_super.jpg

kapow
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I can see Wonder Woman and Superman having a relationship and I can see why it could work. The same with Lois and Clark. It basically comes down to the writers and how well they portray it. I think the Lois and Clark relationship is popular due to the history of the two characters and the fact that it has appeared in popular mediums where a lot of people have been able to enjoy it but I see no reason why Diana and Kal wouldn't work either. There would have to be ground rules to how it would be approached. Each has their own book and they own that book. Only small appearances for the most part in each others books unless they had a story that would be told in both. The Justice League would be where you would see the most interaction.

Anyway, whatever the truth is about where this is going, I think a part of the reason for Flashpoint (not the main reason) might involve Superman and the lawsuit over certain aspects of the character. I think this is the last year that DC can use the character before ownership shifts. DC owns most of his powers including flying, most of his villains, Perry White and Jimmy Olsen along with the extended origin story with his parents and Smallville. DC loses other aspects of his origin, Lois Lane, his Clark Kent persona, etc. I think DC is just thinking ahead and the further they get the character away from those aspects that will be out of their hands the better. As a matter of fact. I'm curious as to where his Flashpoint story ends up, how much stays since it really changes the circumstances of his arrival.

swatkat
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
On a more rational note - as opposed to my kneejerk 'no don't do it' reaction - theoretically speaking, Clark/Diana could be a great pairing. They go very well together in a number of ways, they like each other, they've both definitely thought about it. I'm not talking about marriage or an ~eternal love. I'm talking about two adults acting on mutual attraction, based on their mutual respect and camaredrie. It could be fun.

However, it's the 'fun' part that also brings me to my problems with the pairing:

a. It's comics. The mature, adult relationship that I'm talking about is very unlikely to happen. Comics folks like the melodrama. They would rather go for a bit of jealousy involving Lois, some will they/won't they, and then the inevitable Clark/Lois - where does that leave Diana? By the wayside.

b. The usual argument for Clark/Diana, very often, is that she's the only one who can keep up with. She 'deserves' him. Which is just, ugh. Because Clark is not some reward Diana gets for being a good little meta-human, and who Diana is paired up with should not depend on her powerset - she is more than her powerset, she's a person.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but otherwise, I don't know. I'd rather read fan fiction.

Sacred Knight
06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
In regards to a, there's always melodrama, but I'm not so certain it will all revolve around Lois. As I've pointed out before, unlike the old days of the Clark/Lois tension...its now been done. For 15 years. So if they're undoing it now, it seems to me likely that they're not going to have plans to go there again any time soon. So I would doubt that, if Kal and Diana dated, Lois would be the cause of their eventual end.

But I wholeheartedly agree with b., she's not a prize. That's why I came to hate the Batman pairing. Whether I'm right or wrong there I always got the impression it was just done because Batman was the new coolest guy on the block so she was the prize. And people may get that same feeling with the Superman pairing though I never felt that way. Quite possible I'm looking it at it through rose-colored glasses of my younger years, but I never thought any of the Superman teasing back in the day made her look bad. But if it is like that with this supposed Superman idea, I won't be too crazy about it either.

Eyeswithoutaface
06-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Alan Moore dealt with this a long time ago, and it pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

Superman: Mmm. Why dont we do that more often?

Wonder Woman: "Too predictable."

Superman: Youre probably right.

Castel
06-02-2011, 01:46 AM
i can't wait for amazing stuff like :

-where were you ?

-what ? hmm, ahhh, saving the world ?

-lies !! lies !! you were with Lois again !!

Oh boy, is that going to be interesting or what ? :biggrin:

rude.cherub
06-02-2011, 02:02 AM

I agree in as much I have no doubt Siegel meant Lois to gain Super powers.

He tried this out on a number of occasions using a number of devices, but it didn't take. The super woman character was introduced as Supergirl.

I believe Siegel was aware of the issues of logical consistency around pairing a mere human with his millions of years more evolved Superman.

The problem was addressed by Alan Moore in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, and the Donner Movies.

After 70 years DC could give Lois Super Powers I suppose, although that doesn't change the fact they never did, and kept the two apart - distrusting for most of that time.

As Lois says at the end of K Metal. She's mad a Clark for laughing at her, and lying. Even if K Metal had happened it wasn't going to plain sailing.

That it didn't is a fact, so the question comes which makes more narrative sense, creating a super Lois or using an already existing property who is wonderful to begin with?

Most crucially which will gain the most interest, and headlines, and y'know be a different and new take on the same old same old dynamic?

rude.cherub
06-02-2011, 02:17 AM
True, but my point is that the title alone specifies that connection of them being together. To claim the pairing of these two was something that came from the '90s is just...not accurate at all.

It's accurate in the sense that before the 90's the status quo was that Clark was attracted to Lois who was attracted to Superman and that the relationship would never work out.

Hence in "Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow" to marry Lois Superman gives up being Super to be human to be with Lois.

During this time Superman proposed to Lori Lemaris, Sally Selwyn and others, but never Lois, by the 80's he was back dating Lana. Byrne memorably put him with Diana in action #600, the call me Clark issue.

The 90's - the mullet era - were a time Clark went from not trusting Lois after decades to volte face to engagement and marriage, to pretend that wasn't a new dynamic is ridiculous.

rude.cherub
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Alan Moore dealt with this a long time ago, and it pretty much sums up my feelings on this.

I concur.

"Twilight of the Superheroes is the title of a proposed comic book crossover that writer Alan Moore submitted to DC Comics in 1987 before his split with the company. "

...including the House of Steel (presided over by Superman and his wife Wonder Woman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_of_the_Superheroes

Good story tellers know a good story.

gravling
06-02-2011, 02:44 AM
you know, the more new things you hear, the more this all just sounds like awful FAN-FICTION.

i really wish all the original creators of these characters would come back as black lanterns and tear geoff johns bloodless, soulless heart out.

now that's a book i'd read.

unoaranya30
06-02-2011, 02:45 AM
I find myself cautiously optimistic about this rumor. my wife and I are huge fans of the Wonder Woman Superman pairing and I would love to see this happen.

There are so many great possibilities with these two and so much potential for good storytelling.

I'll buy comics again if this happens and if DC writes them well and in a strong trusting, caring relationship.

the moment they break them up and bring Lois or Steve back in as the love interests I'll be done again.

If DC is smart. they'll do this right. treat both characters with great respect and I'll bet they'll sales will go up. they'll kicking themselves for not having done this sooner :-)

BnL
06-02-2011, 03:10 AM
I've been seeing a lot of people in this thread making a good case for why a Superman/Wonder Woman relationship would be a good thing for Superman, but not for why it would be a good thing for Wonder Woman. And that pretty much underlines why I think it's a bad idea. How this in any way benefits Wonder Woman is specious, and really kind of an afterthought. It seems as though strengthening Superman's status, and viewing the romance from his perspective is the primary goal. Someone mentioned the House of El as an example of past attempts at a Superman/Wonder Woman romance. Such things explicitly makes Diana an adjunct of the Superman mythos. Making Wonder Woman a trophy or subordinate for Superman may be cool for him, but it's a demotion for her. I'm afraid a relationship between the two could easily devolve into such a scenario.

zryson
06-02-2011, 03:57 AM
I've been seeing a lot of people in this thread making a good case for why a Superman/Wonder Woman relationship would be a good thing for Superman, but not for why it would be a good thing for Wonder Woman. And that pretty much underlines why I think it's a bad idea. How this in any way benefits Wonder Woman is specious, and really kind of an afterthought. It seems as though strengthening Superman's status, and viewing the romance from his perspective is the primary goal. Someone mentioned the House of El as an example of past attempts at a Superman/Wonder Woman romance. Such things explicitly makes Diana an adjunct of the Superman mythos. Making Wonder Woman a trophy or subordinate for Superman may be cool for him, but it's a demotion for her. I'm afraid a relationship between the two could easily devolve into such a scenario.

a superman/wonder woman hook-up is a terrible idea i agree. for a supposedly new dcu and how its going to revitalize the company and sales dc seem to be annoying alot of people they are depending on for sales. wonder woman shouldn't be anyone's trophy or toy. she's wonder woman! she's almost as strong as superman. well was, until they stripped her of everything that made her so great.

rude.cherub
06-02-2011, 04:08 AM

House of El is a concept from 87, it reflects the times, just as Lois became Lane-Kent, in the 90's not Mrs Kent, the C21st solution will reflect that.

I can't disagree with your conclusion - it could.

Women in refrigerators.

But there are a couple of reasons why it won't

Wonder Woman has almost as much history as Superman, but unlike Lois she isn't defined by her relationship with him, but was deliberately created to be a yin to his yang.

Second IIRC to keep the rights to the character DC has to keep publishing her book.

Lets consider Diana for a moment, without Steve since Perez, creating a love interest, or co-opting a johnny come lately like nemesis seems forced.

Bringing back Steve has some merit, but their relationship is predictable and not very logically consistent in many of the same way as Lois and Clark.

Eg, What does she see in the man who represents the most Patriarchal organ of the Patriarchy - the military.

Clark Kent is an immigrant, and an American all his life, he gives it to the man the Military Industrial hegemony, he is hated by it in return. ( Lane and Luthor )

He grew up fearing discovery by that machine - and is undercover as a reporter in his quest for Truth and Justice.

Superman/Kent embodies the good in America, why Diana is drawn to America for reasons of peace and love as a mission.

It would mean Gail Simone's Babies Babies Babies line might actually happen.

In practise I think it would be a shot in the arm for both characters.

Given the recent rocky history of the Wonder Woman title she needs something new and different and News worthy!

Also as human being I want to see a man and a woman as equals working together for good.

Rather than the damsel/dude in distress trope again.

Sacred Knight
06-02-2011, 04:29 AM
I did, for what its worth. Not saying everyone has to agree with it of course, but a few pages back I outlined how I thought this could be good for Wonder Woman in terms of future romance side-plots and character development for her. Let's face it, right now she's the patron saint of chastity in the DCU. And I'm certainly not saying that you're not an interesting character unless you sleep around a lot, totally not getting at that. But its the other extreme with Diana. She's barely ever allowed to even kiss a guy. So if Superman is the only character that DC seems comfortable using in a scenario that could possibly break this mold, then okay. For those who like the pairing, it'll be a fun ride for a while. For those who don't, it won't last forever. And the end could just see a Wonder Woman who no longer has such strict edicts of chastity put on her and future writers may actually have the freedom to spice up arcs with some undaunted romance without it being taboo anymore, be it Steve Trevor or other new male additions to her supporting cast.

All that of course considering there's substance to the rumor. The idea has been such a pressure cooker of discussion and strong opinion that I need to remind myself that this is not a confirmed addition to the new DCU yet.

Radone
06-02-2011, 04:39 AM

I understand what you're saying, and if the writers aren't up to snuff, the relationship won't work. It has to be a meeting of equals. As Cherub said, WW has as much of a backstory and mythology as SM. Two people meeting and marrying usually means that you end up with one another's family, with all that entails. Ideally, that would mean that for the first time, a man would have to live up to the Amazonian ideals and be willing to subsume himself as part of Diana's own history.
Again, this all depends on the skill of the writer.
As for what does Diana get out of this...she gets to explore love, lust, joy, sex, and all the other wonderful things two people who fall in love experience. She will be forced to grow and accommodate someone who she doesn't overawe (Nemesis). She also gets to be completely physical with someone who won't break. And by that, I don't mean just sexually. There are so many ways that a couple touch and hold one another that has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with love and affection. Those are important things and recently, DC hasn't written her as able to receive those them.

brettc1
06-02-2011, 06:46 AM
For me, this scenario just says if you are a celebrity then ordinary is not good enough for you. Anything less famous, less talented, less gifted than you is mundane and should be avoided, unless you feel like slumming.

Forget that stupid myth that its what's inside a person that is most important, if you are not a living god you don't rate.

unoaranya30
06-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Well, I certainly don't want to see that. I hope that they will write them both well. if not then I'm not interested either.

It does concern me with the writing of the last few years but I'm hopeful that they will be able to do them justice. if not then I'll go back to saving my money :-)

RealWonderman
06-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Their first scene should be an early morning discussion of the coming day with the League as they get out of bed together and dress.

Done. No biggie.

Eyeswithoutaface
06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
I concur.

"Twilight of the Superheroes is the title of a proposed comic book crossover that writer Alan Moore submitted to DC Comics in 1987 before his split with the company. "

...including the House of Steel (presided over by Superman and his wife Wonder Woman)

Well, I don`t really count that.

psyshot
06-03-2011, 02:10 AM
I concur.

I think the point of Twilight of the super-heroes was to show that if WW, Superman and the Marvel family remove themselves from humans, they could become akin to the gods of myth and thus lose their own humanity. I might be wrong but that's what I remember from the pitch.

brettc1
06-03-2011, 02:32 AM
Their first scene should be an early morning discussion of the coming day with the League as they get out of bed together and dress.

Done. No biggie.

Been sayin' this for years now :smile:

But not with Superman :frown:

Silvermoth
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
As long as it isn't as drippy a relationship as the one in the last Pirates of the Carribean movie I could dig it especially if it has more than a few Bronte inspirations.

thepenguin
06-03-2011, 03:46 AM
For me, this scenario just says if you are a celebrity then ordinary is not good enough for you. Anything less famous, less talented, less gifted than you is mundane and should be avoided, unless you feel like slumming.

Forget that stupid myth that its what's inside a person that is most important, if you are not a living god you don't rate.

And since when Clark Kent lived like a god? The guy works for his living. Or Diana for a fact? Diana for a lot of her incarnations lived like a normal woman and even if she is an Ambassador, what are you saying? Titles mean more than people's intentions? They are not a hollywood couple. They do not go partying in Tinseltown to be seen. This is very judgmental as well. So many great people who change the face of the world...who are not about themselves...cannot be drawn to each other and have a relationship? History is littered with high profile names...leaders,writers, scientists, poets, musicians,...it basically means you are two different people who are drawn to each other because you have similar interests. Ask ask psychologist and they will tell you the type of relationships that work. Nemesis would never have worked. If he did then he would be here still and folks may not be so indifferent. If Superman was Booster Gold or Tony Stark or even Bruce Wayne I would say you are right. He is an alpha male that chooses to be beta for the sake of his loved ones. And he lives a normal life. And Diana is not some beauty queen or starlet. She is a hard working woman. I think she would appreciate that and he would know that she does not need explanations all the time and feel guilty that she can't handle herself. Hey that's something Superman can actually learn with Wonder Woman that he never learned with Lois. He does not need to live to save her. She can do it herself. And she'd be quite adamant that she can.Valuable lesson for a dude who carries that burden.

Keep this not corny like Clois and let them learn lessons from each other and grow since they are younger here. And I am thinking there are many to be learned here.

rude.cherub
06-03-2011, 05:11 AM
I think the point of Twilight of the super-heroes was to show that if WW, Superman and the Marvel family remove themselves from humans, they could become akin to the gods of myth and thus lose their own humanity. I might be wrong but that's what I remember from the pitch.

I'm sure that theme would have been explored.

But bread and circuses, and the crowning of kings is human history, we're not so far removed from that.

Of course when it was as sub plot to Kingdom Come, it was Diana with the gift of glasses that restored Clark Kent, who had died with Lois.

That in itself was a commentary on the notion Lane grounds him, one I find narratively dubious, since he is a son of the soil, of Jonathan and Martha Kent.

However Diana's journey is about bridging earth and olympus, as Kal bridges today and the future by being the man of tomorrow