PDA

View Full Version : CBR: Williams Purifies "Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Force"

CBR News
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
This July, "Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Force" features an anti-superhuman terrorist group out for super heroic blood and only the titular team can stop them. We spoke with writer Rob Williams about the miniseries.

Full article here (http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32557).

Brian M.
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm sure they'll be people here taking the side of the Purifiers. Apparently you aren't a good person if you do whatever it takes to stop people from mass murdering individuals.

Prodigy55
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
the purifiers ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. x-force has stepped up from those lame villains.

Swashbuckler
05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm sure they'll be people here taking the side of the Purifiers. Apparently you aren't a good person if you do whatever it takes to stop people from mass murdering individuals.

Some people may just so they don't have to be on Psylocke's side.

Loose Nucleus
05-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Was gonna skip this book, but this interview has left me interested. Good job on that, Rob Williams!

IN-A-SYNCH
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
i'm sure they'll be people here taking the side of the purifiers. Apparently you aren't a good person if you do whatever it takes to stop people from mass murdering individuals.

naw i would murder those sons of bitches too.

DoctorDP
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Between this and Deadpool's Fear Itself spinoff, this'll be the first time I've bought into two even spinoff books at the same time. It'll be interesting to see if he handles Deadpool as well or maybe better than Remender does.

Whim
05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
the purifiers ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. x-force has stepped up from those lame villains.

yeah.... kind of bored with the anti-mutant terrorist groups. not exactly a fresh idea.

fod_xp
05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
I love that Simone Bianchi is the artist! YIPPEEE!!!!

*Fod_xp died of Simone Bianchi fanboy induced seizure*

jstar!!
05-31-2011, 03:42 PM
The cover is great. X-Force would be so much better if the cast wasn't such an embarrassing Liefeldian joke, all guns and tits and "kewl".

DoctorDP
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM
The cover is great. X-Force would be so much better if the cast wasn't such an embarrassing Liefeldian joke, all guns and tits and "kewl".

What's embarassing about being awesome?

Your comment doesn't really make sense. Deadpool (who has the strongest connection of the group to early X-Force) is the only Liefeld creation, and even then he only deserves credit for designing the costume- which has been redesigned for Uncanny X-Force anyway. Only Fantomex and Deadpool use guns- and Deadpool relies more on swords. Psylocke is the only woman in the group- if anything it could use more female presence.

jstar!!
05-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Your comment doesn't really make sense. Deadpool (who has the strongest connection of the group to early X-Force) is the only Liefeld creation, and even then he only deserves credit for designing the costume- which has been redesigned for Uncanny X-Force anyway. Only Fantomex and Deadpool use guns- and Deadpool relies more on swords. Psylocke is the only woman in the group- if anything it could use more female presence.
They're Liefeld-esque in spirit. I think early nineties flash and stale anti-hero badassery was a requirement when the higher ups passed down this cast to the writer. But yes "only" two of the five use guns. The other three use variations on big ass knives.

There's still 90% more thong and bullets in this title than any of the other X-titles, which is fitting given the titles origin, but the extent of it seems cheap and pandering to me. I think it's the worst cast that could be assembled, actually, unless they manage to wedge Sabretooth, Cable, X-23, Daken and an alternate universe Wolverine into the book. Which they might.

DoctorDP
05-31-2011, 04:53 PM
There's still 90% more thong and bullets in this title than any of the other X-titles, which is fitting given the titles origin, but the extent of it seems cheap and pandering to me. I think it's the worst cast that could be assembled, actually, unless they manage to wedge Sabretooth, Cable, X-23, Daken and an alternate universe Wolverine into the book. Which they might.

So basically you just want another X-Men clone title? Or do you just have a thing against guns? As for the thong comment, it's not like Psylocke is the only X-Man with a revealing outfit. Storm, for instance.

I personally think this is one of the most well-balanced teams out today, and you have yet to say anything that dislodges that opinion. In fact, the only character out of place in my mind is Wolverine. The book would be a lot better with Archangel as the sole leader.

slacker
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
jstar

http://i46.tinypic.com/28tz290.gif

infernohara
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/28tz290.gif

LOL Slacker!!

Can't wait for this book to hurry up already!!

jstar!!
05-31-2011, 05:05 PM
So basically you just want another X-Men clone title? Or do you just have a thing against guns? As for the thong comment, it's not like Psylocke is the only X-Man with a revealing outfit. Storm, for instance.

I personally think this is one of the most well-balanced teams out today, and you have yet to say anything that dislodges that opinion. In fact, the only character out of place in my mind is Wolverine. The book would be a lot better with Archangel as the sole leader.
lol. I'm not trying to "dislodge" anything. If you like it you like it. For me the cast is lowest common denominator bad and could only be made worse by adding in even more mysterious killers with even bigger weapons, which seems inevitable.

Filthy Mutie
05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
They're Liefeld-esque in spirit. I think early nineties flash and stale anti-hero badassery was a requirement when the higher ups passed down this cast to the writer. But yes "only" two of the five use guns. The other three use variations on big ass knives.

Maybe. But, it's a damn good book.

Jackraow21
05-31-2011, 08:31 PM
Sounds great, and I love Simone Bianchi too. Uncanny X-Force is the best team book Marvel puts out right now, hands down. Haters will just have to deal with that fact.

Oh, and if they added Cable, Sabretooth and X-23...well, it would only be more badass in my view and not less. Sorry. Ha.

Regino
05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Holy crap. Rob Williams is really smart, and has good answers for everything. I might check out this book even though I'm skipping Fear. Still not going to get Daken, though.

fod_xp
05-31-2011, 11:08 PM
Maybe. But, it's a damn good book.

I don't see anything even slightly "Liefeldian" about any of these characters. If you want a Liefeld Deadpool, then pick up the Deadpool Family Book. I know that's not the exact title, but it has a Deadpool head, Deadpool dog, Deadpool babe, and etc.

This doesn't even remotely smack of Liefeld. Deadpool is the moral center, Logan is true grit, Betsy is a mess, Fantomex is constantly "misdirecting" the enemies and quite possibly his team mates. Though I will bet ten bucks that he's been using his misdirection powers on Betsy since the beginning. He has something planned for her. Lastly, Warren is pulling a "Black Swan" and he might just share the same fate as Natalie Portman's character.

Natalie Portman dies at the end, but that shouldn't be a spoiler at all if you paid attention to the in film "Swan Lake" synopsis, or read any other "Swan Lake-parallels-reality" tale before.

Sounds great, and I love Simone Bianchi too. Uncanny X-Force is the best team book Marvel puts out right now, hands down. Haters will just have to deal with that fact.

YES! It's good to know there are other Simone Bianchi fans out there!

DoctorDP
06-01-2011, 12:26 AM
This doesn't even remotely smack of Liefeld. Deadpool is the moral center, Logan is true grit, Betsy is a mess, Fantomex is constantly "misdirecting" the enemies and quite possibly his team mates. Though I will bet ten bucks that he's been using his misdirection powers on Betsy since the beginning. He has something planned for her. Lastly, Warren is pulling a "Black Swan" and he might just share the same fate as Natalie Portman's character.

The only thing stranger than Deadpool being the moral center is the fact that Deadpool being the moral center actually works.

I don't know what jstar!! has against weapons. It's like saying Cyclops shouldn't blast things because it would be too awesome. 3/5 (4/5 if you count Wolverine's claws) uses weaponry, true. How is that a problem?

All five members of the team ARE weapons. They've all been altered from their original state in some way and are more dangerous because of it. It's the thread that binds them together.

Filthy Mutie
06-01-2011, 05:38 AM
I don't see anything even slightly "Liefeldian" about any of these characters. If you want a Liefeld Deadpool, then pick up the Deadpool Family Book. I know that's not the exact title, but it has a Deadpool head, Deadpool dog, Deadpool babe, and etc.

Natalie Portman dies at the end, but that shouldn't be a spoiler at all if you paid attention to the in film "Swan Lake" synopsis, or read any other "Swan Lake-parallels-reality" tale before.

Why are you posting this at me?

yanapryde
06-01-2011, 06:13 AM
All five members of the team ARE weapons. They've all been altered from their original state in some way and are more dangerous because of it. It's the thread that binds them together.

Wow. Y'know, I actually didn't make this connection till now (?) And I'm feeling even more strongly about the cast thanks to this.:smile:

Brian M.
06-01-2011, 06:16 AM

Why is he posting at all?

DoctorDP
06-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Wow. Y'know, I actually didn't make this connection till now (?) And I'm feeling even more strongly about the cast thanks to this.:smile:

I know, right? I can see how some people might think they're pretty mismatched group (particularly since both Wolverine and Deadpool are a part of it), untill you look a little deeper.

DoctorDP
06-01-2011, 06:44 AM

I think he was talking about the guy you quoted, not you. It just comes out like that when you post.