PDA

View Full Version : How do your friends/family feel about you being a Wonder Woman fan?

Ben D
05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
hello people

This may seem like a weird question, but how do your friends and family feel about you being a Wonder Woman fan? I ask this because it seems I always get mixed results. Or at least more mixed results compared to when they learn I'm a batman fan, superman fan, green lantern fan, etc.

This isn't the exact phrasing but much of the time I get something that implies I'm perverted when guys learn about it. It's okay though, as one of my friends said, they think she's hot as well.

Much of the time when females learn about it, they seem to assume that I have low-self esteem or something and just say cool.

I ask this because today, on mother's day of all days, I had a rather unpleasant experience. My mother's side of the family were going up to have a pick-nick in the San Jose hills. I live about an hour and a half away so I thought I'd bring a book, maybe add on to some of my fan stories I've been working on. I chose to take Wonder Woman Encyclopedia. For reasons I can't really understand now, I decided to bring it to the pick-nick. We were all having fun and all, but then my uncle saw the Encyclopedia and hot-diggity-dog, it's Wonder Woman! The type of comic he likes! So basically, he made a huge deal about this, talking about how next I'll be into Wild Woman. It was a little ironic, given that it was the encyclopedia, it's probably one of the wonder woman comics with the least amount of images, let alone attractive images, in a wonder woman centric book.

There has been good experiences though. One time at my school when I brought both Wonder Woman: Amazon. Hero. Icon along with the encyclopedia, and my friend Joseph asked if he could borrow them for the period (which was free). I was at the table he was sitting and, he may be one of the few people I've met who understood the character....without me having to explain it to them. He understands so much about her. The diplomat part. The warrior part. The sexiness part. He seemed to be the only person I know who actually balanced all the elements...and still got the character.

Your experiences?

Ace Grayson
05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I used to bring my friends with me to comic stores when I'd buy them, and a few times, they joked about me getting Wonder Woman, but nothing more.

Captain Rabbit
05-08-2011, 08:35 PM
My wife and I are both Wonder Woman fans. But my sister-in-law finds it "stupid" of me when I read comics that feature Super-heroines/villains. *rolls eyes*

Ben D
05-08-2011, 08:38 PM
My wife and I are both Wonder Woman fans. But my sister-in-law finds it "stupid" of me when I read comics that feature Super-heroines/villains. *rolls eyes*

She finds it stupid that you read comics with girls in them?

welcome to the boards, Captain Rabbit! :smile:

Captain Rabbit
05-08-2011, 08:52 PM
She finds it stupid that you read comics with girls in them?

welcome to the boards, Captain Rabbit! :smile:

Thanks!

She doesn't like female comic book characters because of how they dress and breast size I believe...I'm sure she's fine with male shirtless heroes though...haha.

Ben D
05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks!

She doesn't like female comic book characters because of how they dress and breast size I believe...I'm sure she's fine with male shirtless heroes though...haha.

I actually agree partially with her, but that's not all superheroines are about.

Scud
05-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I catch more flak for liking Power Girl.

Groovie Mann
05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
They don't care.

Giskard
05-08-2011, 10:23 PM
No one I know in meat space reads WW, so I'll categorize them by level of interest in the WW concept. I have a couple of friends who like the WW concept, but don't read the comic. I have a few other friends who understand why I like WW (because of her heroic traits, powers, stories, etc.), but still they only see her as a silly fantasy girl for nerds (tiny kernel of truth there).

And the majority of my friends and family don't even care for comic books, seeing them mostly as a waste of time. Even when I point out all the cool movies based on characters from comic books and graphic novels, they still remain unswayed. That's as far as I go with that debate anymore, because I see those mostly as a waste of time. Some of these same people religiously read whatever Oprah tells them to, so I take their opinions on comics with a grain of salt.

Now if this month Oprah recommended Archie, the world supply of yellow ink would run out from printing Betty Cooper's hair 800 million times.

Giskard
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I catch more flak for liking Power Girl.

As you should. :wink:

jamie23m
05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
On the internet i am a loud and proud WW fan, in real life not so much. I keep it secret that i read comics, let alone like a female superhero. My mates would so take the p!ss outta me if they knew.

Ace Grayson
05-09-2011, 12:40 AM
On the internet i am a loud and proud WW fan, in real life not so much. I keep it secret that i read comics, let alone like a female superhero. My mates would so take the p!ss outta me if they knew.

So Wonder Woman, and comic books as an artform, are kind of like guilty pleasures for you?

jamie23m
05-09-2011, 01:02 AM
So Wonder Woman, and comic books as an artform, are kind of like guilty pleasures for you?

Not at all. But my mates at university are not into that. In my circle of friends its all going to the gym, picking up chicks, playing rugby, partying etc. Sorry, but ive got street cred to maintain and its not gonna do my image any favours.

Ace Grayson
05-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Not at all. But my mates at university are not into that. In my circle of friends its all going to the gym, picking up chicks, playing rugby, partying etc. Sorry, but ive got street cred to maintain and its not gonna do my image any favours.

I said "guilty pleasures" because I didn't know how else to describe what you're doing.

To each his own, though I can't help but think that people who'd shun you for having a harmless hobby aren't worth hanging around.

jamie23m
05-09-2011, 01:59 AM
To each his own, though I can't help but think that people who'd shun you for having a harmless hobby aren't worth hanging around.

They not that bad. Friendly chaps but they still would not let me live it down.
The comics part would not be so bad, but the WW part...well yeah.

EDIT: If i showed them "cheesecake" pictures of WW then i think it would all be cool lolz

Nyssane
05-09-2011, 09:16 AM

They don't sound like good friends to me.

My family doesn't think anything of my Wonder Woman love. My dad, technically, is the one who got me into it, as we used to watch Superfriends together and I'd talk about how cool Wonder Woman and Cheetah were.

My friends don't care, either. They even try to buy me Wonder Woman stuff when my birthday or Christmas rolls around. I got my boyfriend (a rabid Batman fan) into Wonder Woman, also. But he likes the more badass version seen in the animated movies.

jason_w
05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Everyone in my family and my circle of friends and co-workers know that I'm a huge WW fan.

I have never, ever, run into any grief over being a WW fan from anyone. When I meet someone new and they find out I'm into her, I get nothing but recounts of great memories of her from the tv show, or how they used to read her comic when they were kids.

My experience as a fan has been nothing but positive

nightforce
05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I am a Wonder Woman and Buffy fan everyone in my circle knows this. So what can they say?

MajorHoy
05-09-2011, 10:05 AM
No one I know in meat space reads WW, so I'll categorize them by level of interest in the WW concept. I have a couple of friends who like the WW concept, but don't read the comic. I have a few other friends who understand why I like WW (because of her heroic traits, powers, stories, etc.), but still they only see her as a silly fantasy girl for nerds (tiny kernel of truth there).

"Meat space"?

This whole discussion needs a bit of clarifying on some points:

1.) - Are you a straight-male Wonder Woman fan; a closeted gay/bi-male Wonder Woman fan; an open gay/bi-male Wonder Woman fan; a female Wonder Woman fan; or some other type of Wonder Woman fan that I probably should have separated out but didn't?

2.) - Are your friends/family reacting to your being specifically a Wonder Woman fan, and not a comicbook fan in general? Is there a significant difference between the two things?

3.) - Are you a closeted Wonder Woman fan who either hides or tries not to discuss your fannishness, or are you an "openly" Wonder Woman fan who doesn't try to hide it?

Ace Grayson
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
1.) - Are you a straight-male Wonder Woman fan Yes.

2.) - Are your friends/family reacting to your being specifically a Wonder Woman fan, and not a comicbook fan in general? Is there a significant difference between the two things? My friends had no problem with me being a comic book fan; when I told them about the Batman R.I.P. storyline, they were mildly interested; I guess they just find it funny that I'd read Wonder Woman. I never asked why.

3.) are you an "openly" Wonder Woman fan who doesn't try to hide it?Yes.

MorphyVSFischer
05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
1.) - Are you a straight-male Wonder Woman fan; a closeted gay/bi-male Wonder Woman fan; an open gay/bi-male Wonder Woman fan; a female Wonder Woman fan; or some other type of Wonder Woman fan that I probably should have separated out but didn't?

Straight male. Last time I checked anyways

2.) - Are your friends/family reacting to your being specifically a Wonder Woman fan, and not a comicbook fan in general? Is there a significant difference between the two things?

They know Im into comics in general and they would't care about it either way. Hell I enjoy Powergirl with no shame because I actaully like her character and don't mind if people crack jokes about her breasts.

3.) - Are you a closeted Wonder Woman fan who either hides or tries not to discuss your fannishness, or are you an "openly" Wonder Woman fan who doesn't try to hide it?

I never hide it. Screw that noise.

Giskard
05-09-2011, 04:47 PM
"Meat space"?

Meat space = IRL. Am I showing my age? Is some food stuck between my front teeth? :biggrin:

1. Straight male

2. No one cares that I'm a WW fan.

3. I am openly a WW fan. I don't go around talking about her all the time, but most everyone who knows me knows I'm a fan. In fact for 2011 I made a work calendar for my coworkers and decorated the upper right and left corners of the page with small WW images (all 12 months were displayed on one 8.5" x 11" sheet, with the title in the middle and the images on each side).

Giskard
05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
They not that bad. Friendly chaps but they still would not let me live it down.
The comics part would not be so bad, but the WW part...well yeah.

It's your life, so choose the friends you want. But if you can't share with your friends the things that make you happy - whether it be certain comics, or music, or certain books and movies, or dancing, etc - then that would feel lonely to me.

Now if you were a serial killer, then that might be a hobby you should hide.

americanwonder
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
My friends and family held an intervention, then sent me away to reform school. :frown:

Of course, this had nothing to do with my love of WW, they just wanted to send me away. :tongue:

ChairthrowerLad
05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I took some ribbing for writing a term paper on Wonder Woman, but mostly from older relatives that didn't understand the potential breadth of historical analysis.

Honestly, the only thing my friends give me a hard time about is how bad the Wonder Woman television pilot looks. It has nothing to do with the character and everything to do with David E. Kelley's script.

Edit: All my friends and family are geeks like me, so I am probably just lucky.

Ben D
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
"Meat space"?

Yes, but I honestly don't think that has anything to truly do with how they react to me being a Wonder Woman fan.

Specifically about Wonder Woman fans. Just because I've had more embarrassing experiences when people discover me being a WW fan, say compared to Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Green Lantern etc.

3.) - Are you a closeted Wonder Woman fan
who either hides or tries not to discuss your fannishness, or are you an "openly" Wonder Woman fan who doesn't try to hide it?

I don't see what this really has to do with wonder woman.

MajorHoy
05-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Meat space = IRL. Am I showing my age? Is some food stuck between my front teeth? :biggrin:

I don't know; maybe I'm showing my age by asking?
(Put it this way: I'm old enough to remember seeing man first walk on the moon when it happened . . . I think we still had a b&w TV back then, and I know my parents still had a rotary dial telephone!)

And in case anybody's wondering about the other things I asked in general, I don't know if this concept of whether or not one would be embarrassed or looked at funny because they're a fan of Wonder Woman would also depend on things like sex (what type you are, not how often you have it!), perceived masculinity, dorkiness, how miserable Wonder Woman became under JMS, or other factors. To me, the original question asked by this post seemed a tad peculiar, but that's just my way of thinking.

And the "closeted" vs. "open" WW fan is because some people read/enjoy it and try to downplay it, while others go around in (not necessarily suggestive) WW t-shirts.

MajorHoy
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I took some ribbing for writing a term paper on Wonder Woman, but mostly from older relatives that didn't understand the potential breadth of historical analysis.

Hey, I once got an "A" on a short college paper comparing the role of the car in "The Dukes of Hazard" and "Knight Rider" back when both shows were on network TV, with the original casts.

Giskard
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't know; maybe I'm showing my age by asking?
(Put it this way: I'm old enough to remember seeing man first walk on the moon when it happened . . . I think we still had a b&w TV back then, and I know my parents still had a rotary dial telephone!)

I was two when the moon landing took place, and we had a rotary dial phone as well. We owned a B&W television until 1974 (when you turned it on it took a couple of minutes to warm up the tubes), because we were kinda poor. Not SUPER poor. White trash, maybe? We did live only a block away from some railroad tracks. Guess which side we lived on? :smile:

zryson
05-09-2011, 06:21 PM
lately they have sympathized. which is much appreciated. the old lady i used to talk to (she since passed away) reassured me last year that the wonder woman i love so much will be back and that she will never die and i so needed to hear that at that time. but its a trying time for me because i feel wonder woman deserves so much more than she is receiving.

dupersuper
05-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm more a comic fan in general, and a Superman fan if I have to five a favourite character, but about that my friends feel fine (occasional free comics to read at my place) and my fam (currently live with dad and sis) scold me for the $ spent and lack of space (for novels to), but know as vices go there are far worse.

Donna M.
05-11-2011, 12:52 PM
My family has always viewed my fannish interests as immature and asinine, depsite the fact that most members of my family can't even spell those words. Anybody I'm friends with knows and doesn't seem to mind since pretty much all my pals are also fannishly inclined. When my husband and I gave his little sister a Wonder Woman storybook his older sister's BFF gave me an incredulous look and said "Wonder Woman? Really?". I mustered up the most serious and domineering Amazon stare I could and said "YES.". She never questioned me about it again.

Giskard
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I mustered up the most serious and domineering Amazon stare I could and said "YES.". She never questioned me about it again.

That's how you do it.

So many people think superhero comics are just for kids, believing that there's nothing of value in them for adults. But I think if more people (children and adults) tried to emulate the moral codes of superheroes, the world would be a better place.

Stories are one of the most powerful tools in the history of homo sapiens. Some people find their stories of importance from religious texts, others from philosophers, others from novelists, and so on. We find action and adventure in comics, but also bits of wisdom, and dare I say some moral guidance? Yes, I dare. A good comic book story is just as meaningful as any other literary form, IMO.

Viva Wonder Woman!