PDA

View Full Version : Uncanny X-Force #4 review and spoilers

Pages : 1 [2]

JeanGreyForever
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Best X-Series these days. So glad that we can expect 20 issues.

gsnake007
01-28-2011, 07:50 PM
man that was a good issue. i dont know about yall but i sorta kinda jumped out of my seat when i saw that BLAM then turned the paged and saw fantomex doing the deed i was like wow didnt see that one coming

Mikey Brown
01-28-2011, 09:47 PM
WOW, that was intense. What a great start for Remender and Opena. They pretty much put the smack down on all future Apocalypse stories and thanks for that. He's a terrible villain. But I can see a rise of Apocalypse worshipers (the awesome new 4 horsemen) searching for relatives (Chamber). Great job, can't wait for Deathlok and a return to the World.

fortyseven
01-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Did anyone mention that this was awesome yet?

prescribeddrone
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Let's all be sure to rebuy this in hardcover, yes?

:biggrin:

Silent Sigh
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I was criticizing Remender about the origin of this "Ship" that Ozymandias was using, I'm glad he gave us an explanation about it.

TonyStark1012
01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah, It's a pretty awesome series, but the art and yeah I said it the coloring! (I've seen people complain about the color scheme in the series) are just all kinds of amazing.

I think Remender does a good job of giving everyone enough room to be a bad ass. The first issue where Wolverine wins the bet against Fantomex is a good example of someone "being better" at something than him. I like the slow brewing (probably going nowhere, gonna make Fanotmex sad) love triangle between Warren, Betsy & Fantomex.

I thought it was cool seeing everyone rethink their kill him at all costs mentality with Apocalypse well, everyone except, Fantomex, but you're right it's Apocalypse he's not gonna be "dead" for long. He's now a kid maybe just maybe they could have turned him around (I know that's crazy talk, but whatever).

The chemistry is really good in the series too, I'm believing that all of these characters can work together in the field and maybe become good friends. At the very least they've got mutual respect for each other since this initial mission/arc.

I'm looking forward to the next arc with Deathlok!

Couldn't agree more! Especially about the writing, art, and coloring.

LemonJynx
01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Great read, ending was the most suprising. I didn't expect that but when you reading a book about a bunch of assassins every villian is going get killed. I hope the next arc is just as good

Jackraow21
01-29-2011, 07:17 AM
Let's all be sure to rebuy this in hardcover, yes?

:biggrin:

No doubt. Since his arcs seem to be four issue arcs instead of six issues arcs, I'm hoping that means that the first three storylines will be collected in the eventual oversized HC (and that Marvel doesn't just put out an oversized HC with eight issues / the first two arcs like they sometimes do).

1derer
01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Man, I never thought I'd be sad to see Apocalypse die, but the creative team did a great job building him up as a positive character. By the end of it, his death left the appropriate feeling of conflicted ambivalence that I'm sure the author was aiming for.

Regino
01-29-2011, 07:47 PM
This book is fantastic. Everything about it is amazing . . . well, sometimes the dialog is a little corny, but it's still funny in an off way.

Mundungus
01-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I loved the ending.

Well, I mean I would have fallen in the "nurture" camp, but in terms of a gripping drama, the ending was shocking and satisfying. Fantomex was the only one who could have pulled that trigger.

Fantomex is not an X-Man. Wolverine, Psylocke, and Angel all come from the X-Men fold. Deadpool is just, well, Deadpool. But Fantomex is X-Force. He wasn't raise on any dream, any sense of hope for the future. He was bred and engineered to be a super-soldier.

I am sad we won't see Jerome Opena for a few issues, but at least it is Esad Ribic covering the Deathlok arc.

Skaddix
01-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Love wolverine's lines about someday grunts maybe taking them down.

James B
01-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Love wolverine's lines about someday grunts maybe taking them down.

Yeah, the humour and dialogue in his book really shines. Luckily the art is up to par with it.

Pro
01-30-2011, 06:42 AM
I was criticizing Remender about the origin of this "Ship" that Ozymandias was using, I'm glad he gave us an explanation about it.

What was the explanation?

Phoen1xSon
01-30-2011, 06:45 AM
What was the explanation?

it's a clone

Jim Lahey
01-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I wasnt really into the series but this issue changed that I think.

JmH Reborn
01-31-2011, 07:49 AM
I am sad we won't see Jerome Opena for a few issues, but at least it is Esad Ribic covering the Deathlok arc.

Actually, I love that Esad is taking over, for at least an arc.

Opena is very talented and detail orientated, but sometimes the figures were kind of ugly. The heads and faces looked distorted. Perhaps it was crunch time. Plus I'm a big fan of Esad, so this is all types of win

Superbeast
01-31-2011, 08:14 AM
It's also been the cause of more good done than any other reason.

The Old Testament endorses a lot of conditional murders... if a woman is raped and will not marry her rapist, if she commits adultery, if a man indulges in sodomy, if you fall in love with someone that does not share your religious faith... women aren't having acid thrown in their faces in parts of Africa for the Hell of it, young girls aren't murdered and buried in the mountains of the Middle East because people just decided to do it, it's dictated by their religion. Then you can look at the Crusades and the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, whether over the Gaza Strip or Taliban sects wanting to control areas they believe God has given them... Hitler didn't orde the genocide of Jews because he didn't like their invention of the word "bupkis", he killed them because they were Jewish and despised what he felt they represented as a culture and he honestly believed God was on his side. I think your argument has a lot of holes in it if you honestly think religion has caused more good than it has harm.

Maestro
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Was I the only one that thought Deadpool killed Apocalypse for a second? I didn't know he had anything resembling a conscience or morals.

Combustible Pumpkins
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
This book actually gave me goosebumps... I don't know if that's ever happen to me before reading a comic, listening to a good song, but a comic? Wow. This just might be my favorite read right now.

Bringing that kid back with them was an interesting idea, then... bam! that freakin' ruled. How the heck is this team going to function now? I wonder if Psylocke will leave the group?

malephoenix
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I think your argument has a lot of holes in it if you honestly think religion has caused more good than it has harm.

I didn't read through this whole thread, so I missed the post you're referring to. However, the basic hole in this argument is that it wasn't religion of any kind that was responsible for most of your list. Just because someone kills in the name of God doesn't mean that it was actually done in the name of God. People also kill in the name of their nation all the time, but often it's not something the entire nation would endorse, even the politicians. People kill in the name of love. Doesn't mean it was actually love. To say that every time an atrocity happened and had a religion's name slapped across it therefore means that the religion is responsible is only equaled by the hubris of the men who commited such atrocities.

malephoenix
01-31-2011, 10:42 PM
I have not read the entire thread, so I may have missed this. But I'm really hoping that the scene we witnessed was just a misdirection by Phantom Man X or whatever goofy name he's got. (I honestly don't get this guys name or powers or...e.v.a.) But wouldn't it be great to turn the page in issue 22 or something and see that Boy-pocalypse is still alive and has been up to something? Maybe even something on the side of the angels.

Maestro
02-01-2011, 07:40 AM
^ It's been brought up. I don't buy it though. There's no hint of that whatsoever and you can see the scene where Fantomex stays behind to close the kid's eyes.

Ryan W
02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Fantomex's motivation was just the mission. The difference is that he's not a pussy.

One of the many reasons I've enjoyed him from the start. That and the accent that GM gave him to troll French people.

Was I the only one that thought Deadpool killed Apocalypse for a second? I didn't know he had anything resembling a conscience or morals.

You need to go read several years' worth of Deadpool, then! Wade's not all bad. In truth, he's a big ol' softy when it comes to kids, fluffy animals, and chicks.

Optic Rage
02-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I have not been reading these threads...but have people been commenting on how overused Fantomex's misdirection powers are? It's one of the two faults i have with this book.

Swashbuckler
02-01-2011, 08:03 AM
I have not been reading these threads...but have people been commenting on how overused Fantomex's misdirection powers are? It's one of the two faults i have with this book.

This was my biggest pet peeve with this story. You'd think these Horsemen would have some kind of mind protection against it. Pretty lame to use it multiple times in one arc too. Whats the other fault?

Optic Rage
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
This was my biggest pet peeve with this story. You'd think these Horsemen would have some kind of mind protection against it. Pretty lame to use it multiple times in one arc too. Whats the other fault?

The general lack of explanation on Apocolypse. What happened to the original? Is he still around? The overall plot was pretty thin. Ozy was barely in it and then got taken down like a punk. They build up the Horsemen as a big threat and they also get taken down like punks in a single page in one of the biggest cop out ways ever.

Everything else was pretty good though.

Pixie_Solanas
02-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Not good at all.

I at least wanted an in-bed, "She Hulk and Juggernaut"-style panel of Minotaur and Betsy.

Dog
02-01-2011, 08:55 AM
This was my biggest pet peeve with this story. You'd think these Horsemen would have some kind of mind protection against it. Pretty lame to use it multiple times in one arc too.
Maybe it was deliberately overused to keep it fresh in our minds and make us wonder if he really killed the kid or not.

Lord Bravery
02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't have a problem with the mis-direction powers. If you have that power... why wouldn't you use it? Especially in a dangerous nigh on suicide mission like this one?

It's like complaining that Wolverine SNIKTS too much. Or Captain America uses his shield as a weapon all the time.

Swashbuckler
02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe it was deliberately overused to keep it fresh in our minds and make us wonder if he really killed the kid or not.

I never even thought of this. Good catch Dog. Now get off the couch, you know dog's aren't allowed up here.

wafflez
02-01-2011, 09:27 AM

For a moment I thought the same thing, until I saw the smoke coming from Fantomex's gun. I was kind of surprised that Deadpool seemed opposed to killing Apocalypse.

Swashbuckler
02-01-2011, 09:47 AM
For a moment I thought the same thing, until I saw the smoke coming from Fantomex's gun. I was kind of surprised that Deadpool seemed opposed to killing Apocalypse.

Fantomex can't create the illusion of smoke?

Optic Rage
02-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't have a problem with the mis-direction powers. If you have that power... why wouldn't you use it? Especially in a dangerous nigh on suicide mission like this one?

It's like complaining that Wolverine SNIKTS too much. Or Captain America uses his shield as a weapon all the time.

It's hardly the same thing. Wolverine's claws aren't an overused plot device that cheapens the story.

Regino
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I think Fantomex is Mastermind. How is the power to misdirect any different from Mastermind's?

Dog
02-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I think Fantomex is Mastermind. How is the power to misdirect any different from Mastermind's?
Whoever or whatever he is, after re-reading the whole story... I think it's pretty obvious he can't be trusted. Why the constant blocking of Betsy's psi-link? What's he hiding? And that's before BLAM. I think the Deathloks have the right idea.

Also, I like how X-Force was all ramped up to kill Apocalypse, but when the kid had the chance to turn it around and off the team, he couldn't deliver the order. Maybe he really could have been saved.

cgar
02-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I like Fantomex as a character now so I hope he doesnt betray the team. But he is being rather shady.

slacker
02-01-2011, 09:42 PM
For the record, I don't think Fantomex is deceiving the team by creating an illusion that he killed Apocalypse. That would just ruin the integrity of the whole story. The hypothesis itself is a little extravagant, and if we go that far in assuming what he may or may not have done, then it just defeats the purpose of the great writing and emotion that this book has. If we really let anything have the potential of being an illusion then it's really just sucking the fun out of it all. The events and writing have been quite literal so far, I see no reason to get all Inception on the readers. But hey, if 2 books or 2 arcs from now we see Apocabrat drawing hop-scotch boxes over at Cavern-X then send me a nice I-told-you-so PM about it.

Also, I liked the faux-fastball special with Fantomex and Logan. :tongue: And yeah, Betsy's still a badass for defending the kid and ultimately her beliefs. Despite the fact that it may have displayed hesitation to "get the job done". But even that is subjective.

Skaddix
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
So let me try to understand this, Betsy is suppose to be an omega level telepath and yet she cannot see through Fantomex illusions. Standards have clearly be slipping if this is so.

infernohara
02-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Whoever or whatever he is, after re-reading the whole story... I think it's pretty obvious he can't be trusted. Why the constant blocking of Betsy's psi-link? What's he hiding? And that's before BLAM. I think the Deathloks have the right idea.

Also, I like how X-Force was all ramped up to kill Apocalypse, but when the kid had the chance to turn it around and off the team, he couldn't deliver the order. Maybe he really could have been saved.

Hes hiding nothing. Fantomex doesn't like telepaths in his brain. Part of the reason hes cool is because hes a wildcard......you never know what hes gonna do. I'm on the fence on whether he killed the kid or not. It certainly would seem that he did, but even him closing the kids eyes was basically for us and there could be more to that story since he stayed behind for a bit. I noticed betsy's demeanor near the end......She was pretty adamant about saving the kid and had nothing to say when he was "dead". Just makes you wonder if she knew something.....

I didn't think the horsemen went out like wimps at all. They were thourougly convinced they had the team and each time they took them out in vicious ways. Had it not been for Psylocke and Fantomex, the team would've been done from the start. It does seem like a form of Mastermind's ability, though....Just a lot more taxing on Fantomex and must be done through E.V.A. Since War was knocked out the horsemen were subject to manipulation just as the X-men were vs. Sisterhood.

infernohara
02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
So let me try to understand this, Betsy is suppose to be an omega level telepath and yet she cannot see through Fantomex illusions. Standards have clearly be slipping if this is so.

Its misdirection. Illusionists usually trump telepaths anyway. Mastermind and friends have thourougly messed up even the most adept telepaths: Sage, Jean, Xavier, Emma. There was a reason Mastermind was great and that guy from Weapon X who can also bend you to his will (his name escapes me at the moment)

Standards aren't slipping if the character thinks what they see is real.

Skaddix
02-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Its misdirection. Illusionists usually trump telepaths anyway. Mastermind and friends have thourougly messed up even the most adept telepaths: Sage, Jean, Xavier, Emma. There was a reason Mastermind was great and that guy from Weapon X who can also bend you to his will (his name escapes me at the moment)

Standards aren't slipping if the character thinks what they see is real.

Hmm, I suppose but how does an illusionist mask their presence from a tp, if a tp keeps scanning then it should fail of course u are right if they don't scan no prob.

Personal
02-01-2011, 10:51 PM

When Fantomex was first introduced he tricked BOTH Jean (during her Morrison Phoenix manifestation era) AND Xavier, simultaneously.

and has repeatedly done so. Nothing new about this. Whatever the source of his anti-psi abilities, they are definitely among the strongest even seen in the X-World.

Skaddix
02-01-2011, 10:54 PM
When Fantomex was first introduced he tricked BOTH Jean (during her Morrison Phoenix manifestation era) AND Xavier, simultaneously.

and has repeatedly done so. Nothing new about this. Whatever the source of his anti-psi abilities, they are definitely among the strongest even seen in the X-World.

How would it work on people with non normal sense like say someone who sees Energy?

infernohara
02-01-2011, 11:40 PM

Indeed.

I believe his anti-psi abilities actually stem from the mask he wears. I think he has some kind of plates or something lining the mask that he can turn on or off. As for how he deals with energy? I'm not sure. He usually hasn't used the ability hardcore like hes doing now. The drawback usually being he has to be immobile while doing it.....I'm kinda happy Remender decided to explore his powers more. Makes Emma's situation in Uncanny X-men not so dire, huh?

Which is why Pslocke told him to turn off his psi dampeners so she can decrease his abilities.

Speaking of which, Betsy is pretty wild. I've seen her recently pull stunts like this more often, but don't really remember her doing this kinda stuff with blue/gold team around. Its like she has Sage's abilities without the negative side effects.

I'm still surprised that noone talked about Deadpool feeding Angel himself.....that was pretty sick yet funny at the same time.

Boozier
02-02-2011, 06:57 AM
I was cracking up so hard at that scene! And the pop rocks and soda were pretty good too. Hilarious. I much prefer Deadpool in this book than his own.

slacker
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
I really like Deadpool so far in this book. :smile:. And he was hilarious enough in this issue. Loved how Wolverine shut him up, lol. I think he'll have some really cool moments to shine, the way Remender is writing their roles.

CyberHubbs
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
This issue was like a medium-rare burger with all the fixings that hit the right spot and left me wanting to curl up in a cozy slumber afterward.

Phoen1xSon
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
great start for the first arc now hopefully this will be maintained

Daniel Mengsk
02-03-2011, 09:18 AM
The general lack of explanation on Apocolypse. What happened to the original? Is he still around? The overall plot was pretty thin. Ozy was barely in it and then got taken down like a punk. They build up the Horsemen as a big threat and they also get taken down like punks in a single page in one of the biggest cop out ways ever.

I think that that will be explained at some later point - if I remember it correctly, the first story arc's are all part of a bigger 'storyline' (I could be totally wrong about this though).

Dreighton
02-03-2011, 12:20 PM
and I have to say this was one of the best comic reads for me in a LONG time. There was more interesting things in this issue than in the last YEAR of Uncanny Xmen

damn

yeah, I know..not really adding to the conversation, but I had to share or at least let out me reaction.

petar_g
02-05-2011, 03:29 AM
What an ending to the first UXF storyline!

I expected, as with many comic storylines, to be let down by the final issue, but this just ramped up my excitement for the next issue.

And from all the reviews I collected at my CAVERN-X blog, it seems that tha feeling is pretty much unanimous across the net! Almost every review gave the issue 5/5 or 10/10!

One particular curiosity from the issue, though......... what if, via powers of misdirection, Fantomex didn't actually kill Apocalypse? I couldn't say why he'd use his powers to hide that, but there could be a storyline reason down the track.

Petar

dancingphlower
02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure if that has been established already, but Fantomex definitely killed the kid, for anyone with conspiracy theories and lingering doubts. Remender confirms it, saying "Fantomex's motivations with killing the kid - and he did kill the kid - that wasn't a misdirection, that was a kid with a bullet in his head. For sure. Absolutely. That will not be changed." in this interview: http://www.newsarama.com/games/rick-remender-bulletstorm-110222.html