PDA

View Full Version : Right Wing, Tea Party, Anti-Big Gov Hypocrites Support Big Gov Against Wikileaks

Jack Flag
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I found this comment on a forum and thought the observation was right on.

http://the-peoples-forum.com/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=21797&Disp=0#C0

Stupid Right Wing, Tea Party, Anti-Government Hypocrites Support Big Government Against Libertarian Freedom Fighting Anti-Government Wikileaks.

I laugh at how the fat Tea Party types who show up at rallies with rifles and "Don't Tread On Me" flags and call for "2nd Amendment solutions" against the Federal Govt are without a hint of awareness of their hypocrisy, are calling for the death of an actual freedom fighter who is non-violently attacking big secret govt.

These Tea Bagging wussies talk a good game but in the end are impotent useful idiots of big GOP govt.

This is the far right's take on Julian Assange's recent leak, courtesy of FreeRepublic: they have called Assange a traitor, called for his imprisonment, and called for his death and in one case on FreeRepublic a commenter going by the name dljordan called for the murder of Assange's mother as retaliation (his comment was deleted) “kill his mother” were the words used.

Tea-baggers who threaten to kill Americans in the Federal govt are patriots yet they hate Wikileaks for non violent releasing of secret information, we as citizens are entitled to know, and they label it a terrorist group and they call on the Federal Govt to kill Wikileaks people????

Tea Baggers should be spit on.

Shellhead
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
I voted for Obama, and I think that the majority of the Tea Baggers seem to be deranged, ignorant or both. But I don't like Julian Assange. He's a pretentious asshole and an amoral hacker. He doesn't comprehend diplomacy. He apparently treats women poorly, and if he in fact had unprotected sex with a woman while she was sleeping, I hope he is found guilty and does time.

Spike-X
12-09-2010, 01:13 PM
they have called Assange a traitor...

That's the funniest part - he's not even an American, you fucking dipshits! He's one of ours!

I can't see the Aus gov't doing a lot to help him out if he ends up getting bought to trial over this, though; some of the cables he published include details about Mark Arbib, the man behind the recent replacement of then-current PM Kevin Rudd, working with the CIA, an organisation whose sole purpose seems to be getting rid of foreign governments who don't kiss the US's arse enough for their liking.

AWK-ward!

Jack Flag
12-09-2010, 01:13 PM
My posting has more to do with the derangement of the Tea Party types than Assange (if he is in the right or not).

We spent almost a year of these Tea Baggers telling us that we should not trust the govt and be armed to go to war against the govt if need be and here comes a website which did not hack secrets - they are just posting them as they are leaked to them by others - and do so because Wikileaks believes ideologically that open govt is the best govt, etc - stuff a tea bagger should also agree with yet the ones calling for killing off Wikileaks tend to be the same right wingers who think the govt is out to get them.

That is hella funny! Cognitive Dissonance by these right wingers at its best!

Jack Flag
12-09-2010, 01:19 PM
That's the funniest part - he's not even an American, you fucking dipshits! He's one of ours!

I can't see the Aus gov't doing a lot to help him out if he ends up getting bought to trial over this, though; some of the cables he published include details about Mark Arbib, the man behind the recent replacement of then-current PM Kevin Rudd, working with the CIA, an organisation whose sole purpose seems to be getting rid of foreign governments who don't kiss the US's arse enough for their liking.

AWK-ward!

Those asshats calling Assange a "traitor" to America probably view America is a world dominating empire and thus they rule Australia as a province.......

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM
That is hella funny! Cognitive Dissonance by these right wingers at its best!

The illogic and inconsistency of the teabaggers goes way past cognitive dissonance. Cognitive impairment is more like it.

Spike-X
12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Those asshats calling Assange a "traitor" to America probably view America is a world dominating empire and thus they rule Australia as a province.......
Pretty much. They see the entire world as existing solely to serve US interests, therefore anyone working against that is automatically a traitor.

cactusmaac
12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Well, it's not really surprising if right-wingers react badly to a crypto-anarchist releasing state secrets to the world at large.

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, it's not really surprising if right-wingers react badly to a crypto-anarchist releasing state secrets to the world at large.

Yeah, except a lot of the teabaggers say they're libertarians, when in fact they mostly lack comprehension of basic libertarian concepts. They're mostly just atavistic, extremist goons of a slightly different stripe from anti-abortion/god-hates-fags religious nuts, but just as easily - and willngly - manipulated by the GOP.

StoneGold
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM

AWK-ward!

"Inside every gook there is an American trying to get out." Same goes for albino Australians.

Winslow
12-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, except a lot of the teabaggers say they're libertarians, when in fact they mostly lack comprehension of basic libertarian concepts. They're mostly just atavistic, extremist goons of a slightly different stripe from anti-abortion/god-hates-fags religious nuts, but just as easily - and willngly - manipulated by the GOP.

They are authroitrains with fascist leanings. Their anger makes perfect sense when viewed through that lens.

Repulsive, but makes sense.

cactusmaac
12-09-2010, 01:43 PM
What kind of fascist leanings are we talking about?

Winslow
12-09-2010, 01:55 PM
What kind of fascist leanings are we talking about?

The movement is appealing to tha nation's identity "take America back!" ...

I would add support of a strong military and unwavering support of corporate interests, but I don't hear that as much in their slogans.

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM
The movement is appealing to tha nation's identity "take America back!" ...

I would add support of a strong military and unwavering support of corporate interests, but I don't hear that as much in their slogans.

Yep, this skewed nationalism/"real Americans" nonsense.

Then there's their insinuation that simply not getting their way is justification for them abandoning the political process in favor of armed revolution.

Not to mention the various forms of bigotry, including outright racist and anti-semetic sentiments, that are quite common among the teabaggers.

I'd have to agree that "authoritarian fascists" is pretty apt.

rick
12-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm a bit surprised how few people are talking about Pvt. Bradley Manning , the man who copied all these files and then passed them on to Wikilinks.

Assange is creepy, but releasing the files are a legitimate function of the press.

Pvt. Manning on the other hand is very likely guilty of both espionage and treason and is the one that Americans who are upset about these leaks should be focusing on.

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm a bit surprised how few people are talking about Pvt. Bradley Manning , the man who copied all these files and then passed them on to Wikilinks.

Assange is creepy, but releasing the files are a legitimate function of the press.

Pvt. Manning on the other hand is very likely guilty of both espionage and treason and is the one that Americans who are upset about these leaks should be focusing on.

It's easier for those sorts to focus on the odd foreign guy as the problem, rather than mention that an American in the military is the real problem - and, as you said, very likely guilty of extremely serious crimes.

So far the only of the right-wing goon squad I've seen focus on him is one of the religious nuts who points to Manning as proof that gays are evil people who shouldn't be in the military.

The Cool Thatguy
12-09-2010, 02:13 PM

True, but one is running free (or was), releasing even more and more documents, while the other is behind bars waiting trial. So it's only natural he gets more attention (though yes, most of that attention is pretty stupid) and hatred.

Royal
12-09-2010, 02:19 PM
It's easier for those sorts to focus on the odd foreign guy as the problem, rather than mention that an American in the military is the real problem - and, as you said, very likely guilty of extremely serious crimes.

So far the only of the right-wing goon squad I've seen focus on him is one of the religious nuts who points to Manning as proof that gays are evil people who shouldn't be in the military.

Seconded.

I think Assange is getting more attention is more due to the recent problems with net issues in the US ie Net Neutrality, DMCA, etc

dupont2005
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't call this guy a freedom fighter...

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 02:28 PM

I agree that might be overstating things, but I'm very sympathetic to what he's doing by releasing this information. As Rick notes, that is a legitimate function of a free press. Beyond that, I believe our government is not nearly as transparent as it should be, and I personally despise the way Obama has maintained Bush's policy of trying to keep everything the government does out of public view.

Royal
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM

The only ones calling him that have been from the right wing.

Spike-X
12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Seconded.

I think Assange is getting more attention is more due to the recent problems with net issues in the US ie Net Neutrality, DMCA, etc
Yeah! that's...

...wait, what?

Charles RB
12-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Assange also gets more attention because until recently he was out and about, and now there's ongoing drama with being charged and his extradition and whatnot. Manning was nabbed weeks ago and nothing 'dramatic' is happening with him right now.

The Cool Thatguy
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree that might be overstating things, but I'm very sympathetic to what he's doing by releasing this information. As Rick notes, that is a legitimate function of a free press. Beyond that, I believe our government is not nearly as transparent as it should be, and I personally despise the way Obama has maintained Bush's policy of trying to keep everything the government does out of public view.

Some of what he's doing is part of what he's doing is performing the function of free press, yes. But not all of it. Releasing information like say locations that the United States thinks would cause major damage to the world infrastructure is not the act of responsible press. Ideally, that will be the only line he crosses, but we still have some releases to go before it's over.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
But I don't like Julian Assange. He's a pretentious asshole and an amoral hacker.

You don't have to like him.

He hasn't been a hacker since he was a teen.

He doesn't comprehend diplomacy.

Not his job to.
The only difference between him and newspapers, is they would have kept all the leaks to publish in their own paper.
I don't know how it is in the US, but in Australia and England the press is going to town revealing the leaks.

Getting upset at him, for this, is like getting upset at Woodward and Bernstein for revealing what Deepthroat said.

He apparently treats women poorly, and if he in fact had unprotected sex with a woman while she was sleeping, I hope he is found guilty and does time.

He won't be, because even if he did the crime, she and the other victim swapped stories before deciding to go to the police.
Very hard to claim they are telling the full truth that way - they tainted each others stories.
That said, it would utterly, and rightfully, destroy his reputation.
Wouldn't stop the leaks though.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I personally despise the way Obama has maintained Bush's policy of trying to keep everything the government does out of public view.

Especially after running on a platform of transparent government.

He's basically a massive hypocrite, and bald-faced liar, on that front.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Ideally, that will be the only line he crosses, but we still have some releases to go before it's over.

According to the site, they've released 1,269 of 251,287... so there's still a lot to go!

StoneGold
12-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Especially after running on a platform of transparent government.

He's basically a massive hypocrite, and bald-faced liar, on that front.

For a bunch of the stuff that was released... not really.

I mean, sure, it was secret. But what the ambassador to Feezleland thinks about the Feezlelandian crown prince doesn't really have much bearing on the American people at large.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-09-2010, 07:33 PM
For a bunch of the stuff that was released... not really.

I mean, sure, it was secret. But what the ambassador to Feezleland thinks about the Feezlelandian crown prince doesn't really have much bearing on the American people at large.

I meant more with Obama's entire term, than in relation to wikileaks - he promised much more transparency than in the Bush administration, but has made absolutely no move to do it.

JeffreyWKramer
12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I meant more with Obama's entire term, than in relation to wikileaks - he promised much more transparency than in the Bush administration, but has made absolutely no move to do it.

His moves have been exactly the opposite. He's maintained the super-secret wiretapping programs, he's maintained the Bush policy of being secretive about who the Administration consults in designing domestic policies, even those with no security implications and no need whatsoever for secrecy (unless one considers keeping the public from knowing which special interests groups play a hand in crafting policy to be necessary, which Bush did and which Obama apparently does), and now he's forcing government agencies to engage in censorship and siccing the Justice Department on websites that dare to publish things the Administration doesn't want people to know and pressuring private companies to go along with such efforts.

Sorry, but embarrassing diplomatic stuff doesn't warrant this sort of treatment. Security plans for Air Force 1, sure, but what the US Ambassador to Yemen thinks of the Yemeni politicos, no.

moonknight11
12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
So it turns out tha Glenn Beck supports Wikileaks in a way.

Now he's just trying to stir shit up imo.

Gary_B
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
So it turns out tha Glenn Beck supports Wikileaks in a way.

Now he's just trying to stir shit up imo.

Glenn Beck stirring up shit?

No fucking way!

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
His moves have been exactly the opposite. He's maintained the super-secret wiretapping programs, he's maintained the Bush policy of being secretive about who the Administration consults in designing domestic policies, even those with no security implications and no need whatsoever for secrecy (unless one considers keeping the public from knowing which special interests groups play a hand in crafting policy to be necessary, which Bush did and which Obama apparently does), and now he's forcing government agencies to engage in censorship and siccing the Justice Department on websites that dare to publish things the Administration doesn't want people to know and pressuring private companies to go along with such efforts.

Is it the same dept. heads, or do they all change?

Because I could see that certain departments - particularly security ones - probably quite liked their new found freedoms and extra secrecy, and did their best to convince/scare him that it all was absolutely necessary.

Sorry, but embarrassing diplomatic stuff doesn't warrant this sort of treatment. Security plans for Air Force 1, sure, but what the US Ambassador to Yemen thinks of the Yemeni politicos, no.

It's also not the first time this sort of stuff has become public - happens all the time - often by accident.
It's just that there's so many coming out at once.

stelok
12-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Anyone who thinks Assange deserves a nobel peace prize is an asshole.

There already have been some people who said Assange should receive the nobel peace prize

IamtheRock3
12-12-2010, 08:38 AM
a good amount of stuff was secrets that might of needed to be reveal

But other stuff is...so and so country think the other country a ahole..which doesnt help diplomacy...or locations of places(which could endanger people) or stuff we already assume was true. Hell some of that stuff probally wouldnt be considered classfieid worthy before all the patriot act bs

I am all for transparcncy..but there might be SOME stuff that should be hidden by the government.

mikekerrIII
12-12-2010, 10:23 AM

People are not talking about Manning because his situation is simple, he is going to stay in prison until he dies.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-12-2010, 09:53 PM
People are not talking about Manning because his situation is simple, he is going to stay in prison until he dies.

Yes, but he's the traitor who committed the crime.

Assange just put documents he received up on the net for the press.

Yet he's the one the world governments are after.

Doesn't make sense*.

*Actual sense. Makes plenty cynical sense, but not actual sense.

The Cool Thatguy
12-13-2010, 03:58 AM

Doesn't make sense*.

Well, he's running free releasing classified documents. Even if he's not doing something illegal, it makes sense that the government would wanna stop him.

Pro
12-13-2010, 04:24 AM
I am all for transparcncy..but there might be SOME stuff that should be hidden by the government.

Who watches the watchers?

mikekerrIII
12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Doesn't make sense*.

Nobody is after Manning because his ass is already in jail and will remain so until it come time to bury him, so there is little to be interested in.

With Assange at least the is some drama

Gordon Smith
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM

That's extremely unlikely. He has not actually been charged with any offense carrying a life sentence, much less life without parole. The offenses he has been charged with-violating general regulations and conduct prejudicial to discipline- carry a maximum penalty of five years per specification. While it's theoretically possible that the jury will choose to award a single gross sentence of 52 years, this is very unlikely, especially if his attorneys can arrange a PTA capping the maximum punishment. And since even servicemen who have (http://all.net/books/iw/www.dss.mil/www.dss.mil/training/espionage/Marines.htm) been convicted of actual espionage are routinely given clemency by the military, Manning is virtually certain to be a free man in a decade even under the worst case scenario. I'd guessing, absent a pretrial agreement, he's probably gonna pull about ten to fifteen years max and be paroled in five to six. Might be a different story if he was under the federal civilian system, but if the case remains in the military, a relatively light sentence and an early parole is the most likely outcome. The military justice system just isn't as harsh as many people seem to think it is.

Michael P
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
The military justice system just isn't as harsh as many people seem to think it is.

But that takes all the fun out of it!

FunkyGreenJerusalem
12-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Even if he's not doing something illegal, it makes sense that the government would wanna stop him.

Want to?
I can dig that.

But saying that he has been illegal, and calling for his arrest and wishing him harm, when he hasn't done something illegal - that's really messed up.

That's what I mean - I know why there's the fuss about him, I just don't understand what's wrong with the world that there is.