PDA

View Full Version : [Preview] OUTSIDERS #34 (featuring Warkiller)

4PointOh
11-22-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't like to refer to him as the Olympian, so I'm not going to. :biggrin:

Anyway, here's a preview of his appearance in OUTSIDERS. The artist has a serious Jack Kirby fetish:

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=40094

http://i.newsarama.com/images/Outsiders-34-05.jpg

bulldog_milt
11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
By the way the dialogue in the preview is hideous...

jason_w
11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I like the faux Kirby, but it makes him look like a generic Thor riff.

Just wondering if he's just been brought as cannon fodder for Doomsday when he shows up in February.

Jacquaman
11-22-2010, 09:42 AM
It's Achilles, the Last Olympian Warkiller on Earth!

Seriously, how often has Achilles said "I am Achilles"?! It's like his "Great Hera!"

4PointOh
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I like the faux Kirby, but it makes him look like a generic Thor riff.

Just wondering if he's just been brought as cannon fodder for Doomsday when he shows up in February.

I think I'm the only comic book reader on Earth who isn't a fan of Jack Kirby's artwork. :frown:

CarolStrick
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, looked like Kamandi to me, inflicted with with StanLee Disease of the word balloon. Put on some pants. Pass.

Q: "It is my task to bring death to all dictators." Uh, it is? Since when? Does that include Kings of Themyscira?

Vic Vega
11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, looked like Kamandi to me, inflicted with with StanLee Disease of the word balloon. Put on some pants. Pass.

Q: "It is my task to bring death to all dictators." Uh, it is? Since when? Does that include Kings of Themyscira?

He was appointed King by his god. Other folks' gods don't count. :biggrin:

Karl O'Neill
11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice art by Keith Giffen. Cool.

Kevenn
11-22-2010, 11:14 AM
It's a really jarring change in the art style from what's been in the title beforehand. :confused:

Franklin
11-22-2010, 12:31 PM
The dialogue is awful. I kind of like the Kirby riff in the art.

vaffrey
11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
By the way the dialogue in the preview is hideous...

Not any more hideous than the art. Yee-owch, that's some fugly.

Gaelforce
11-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Didio still writing it? That's when we dropped it - the dialogue has been horrible since he took over.

nj06
11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I think I'm the only comic book reader on Earth who isn't a fan of Jack Kirby's artwork. :frown:

I don't like the artwork either and I find the dialogue very plain and boring. Also, how did Achilles knock Eradicator away and yet Geo-Force is able to get a hit on him and knock him over? lol

americanwonder
11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
:eek:

Am I the only one who hopes Achilles dies off soon? I may have a spare postcard around here somewhere.

Also, I don't think he should be boasting about being the former ruler of Themysecria - he did nothing to get the job, wasn't there long, wasn't liked, and did a terrible job - what's he bragging about again?

theblock
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Bigger question, hwy isn't Gail using her own created character with say, something SHE'S Writing :confused::mad:! Sometimes I wonder the what goes on at the offices of DC...does Dan just pop by Gails cubicle/office whatever and say, "Hey I'm using a character you created in the book I'm writing, hope that's cool, promise not ot kill him off this time..LOL" :evilangry:

CarolStrick
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM
AND he married a crazy murderer. Guess he's just proud of having ruled a bunch of girlies. You notice he never mentions his Argonaut zombie friends. At least Mysia's not showing up in these pages.

ARRGGGH!!

Free-Man
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Bigger question, hwy isn't Gail using her own created character with say, something SHE'S Writing :confused::mad:! Sometimes I wonder the what goes on at the offices of DC...does Dan just pop by Gails cubicle/office whatever and say, "Hey I'm using a character you created in the book I'm writing, hope that's cool, promise not ot kill him off this time..LOL" :evilangry:

Well, unless someone calls "dibs", Achilles is pretty much up for grabs. Gail doesn't own him after all. And he doesn't seem like he fits with Birds of Prey at all. And I don't see him working in any of the recent Secret Six stories that she's written either.

theblock
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know, I think he could have fit in the whole Skartaris invasion arc...maybe.

jelebino
11-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Born of Dr Seuss ??

Oh man, my mental picture of Thalarion just transblangified.

Seant
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice art. Giffen still has it.

AaronJ
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM
:eek:

Am I the only one who hopes Achilles dies off soon? I may have a spare postcard around here somewhere.

Also, I don't think he should be boasting about being the former ruler of Themysecria - he did nothing to get the job, wasn't there long, wasn't liked, and did a terrible job - what's he bragging about again?

You just basically described Sarah Palin. :)

Anyhow, as to the preview -- meh. Nice art, definitely. Otherwise? Achilles was never a character I cared about in the first place, so this does nothing to convince me to start picking up the title (which I dropped when Winick left).

And no, AmericanWonder, you aren't the only one.

rhea
11-23-2010, 02:31 PM

No, you aren't. I've always though Kirby-esque art looks as if it is made on an Etchasketch--it's so "blocky". As for the story, I'll probably pass on this.

Kevenn
11-29-2010, 07:39 AM
I also didn't even think Achilles was written in character in this issue. Simply horrid. I think this was my last issue of this increasingly awful title - awful due, especially, to the writing by Didio.

Seant
11-29-2010, 08:23 AM
You just basically described Sarah Palin. :)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

dupersuper
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
I also didn't even think Achilles was written in character in this issue. Simply horrid. I think this was my last issue of this increasingly awful title - awful due, especially, to the writing by Didio.

So did you give it up or get 35?

LightningRider
12-24-2010, 03:10 AM
This is the first time I've seen this, and let me just say, that is some nice Keith Giffen art.

Other than that I can't stomach anything else.

Kevenn
12-27-2010, 07:58 AM
So did you give it up or get 35?

I gave it up. I hated the writing, and wasn't crazy about the art. did anything of note happen in #35? I also really hated that new obnoxious character in the title. I can't remember his na,e, but he was a big jerk. I hate characters like that. LOL

bulldog_milt
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I gave it up. I hated the writing, and wasn't crazy about the art. did anything of note happen in #35? I also really hated that new obnoxious character in the title. I can't remember his na,e, but he was a big jerk. I hate characters like that. LOL

I think you are talking about Freight Train

MelDyer
12-27-2010, 09:25 PM
http://i.newsarama.com/images/Outsiders-34-05.jpg

I think the Warkiller character is improved all the way around with this single appearance.

I love Jack Kirby homages, loved the dialogue and think the new uniform is a step in the right direction. Glad to see that stupid, Lion King, Vegas showgirl nightmare (with the headdress) is gone. Hope it STAYS gone.

Hope Achilles gets a wa-aaay hot girlfriend next issue. A stripper. :cool:

This is the Achilles we were promised back during that 'Rise Of The Olympian' business, ..but, who never showed up. This is the wild-eyed, guts-n-glory hero, who should be standing in for Wonder Woman right now, ..but isn't. Gonna run out and buy TWO issues.

Might even frame one.

Get Achilles back to the basics, as seen in Wolfgang Petersen's TROY - half-immortal killing machine - and you can add the rest on later. The 'Olympian' storyline and the one that followed it never delivered that. Done right, Achilles could be the next Wolverine.

dupersuper
12-27-2010, 09:56 PM
I gave it up. I hated the writing, and wasn't crazy about the art. did anything of note happen in #35? I also really hated that new obnoxious character in the title. I can't remember his name, but he was a big jerk. I hate characters like that. LOL

You probably gave it up at the right time then; 35 was the "origin" of Freight Train. :cool:

This is the wild-eyed, guts-n-glory hero, who should be standing in for Wonder Woman right now, ..but isn't. Gonna run out and buy TWO issues.

"Hero"? It's pretty clearly stated he's been slaughtering soldiers...

MelDyer
12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, at least, the attitude is right. Kick butt and ask questions, later. ACK-shun! Fighting like a demon, instead of playing soap opera on some stupid island.

This is starting to look like the Achilles in your Bullfinch.

Burning Manazon
12-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Achilles has lots of potential, and I like where this story is going. But the dialogue is absolutely TERRIBLE. Unreadably bad. "Your war killing days are over" Really? Ugh!

Kevenn
12-28-2010, 06:58 AM
You probably gave it up at the right time then; 35 was the "origin" of Freight Train. :cool:

Oh PRAISE HESTIA!!! I freaking HATE that character - and not a love-to-hate, but HATE. LOL

dupersuper
12-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Oh PRAISE HESTIA!!! I freaking HATE that character - and not a love-to-hate, but HATE. LOL

Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed he's Canadian...

MelDyer
12-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Canadian now, eh?

For those of us unfamiliar with Achilles's DCU origin, Zeus reanimated him on the mysterious White Island of Greek legend, supposedly where Greek heroes spend eternity ..and kinda' like the Norse Valhalla. Gail married her interpretation of the White Isle to H.P. Lovecraft's Thalarion from his White Ship poem.

As Zeus, in classical myth, promised Achilles an eternity on the White Island, after his death, it would seem that Achilles spirit was already on Thalarion, when Zeus and his reanimated Greek heroes landed there. Not exactly clear on what happened to the other or why their eyes are so creepy.

Wildcathuntress
12-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed he's Canadian...

Actually i think the correct is Greek-Canadian.:confused:

dupersuper
12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Actually i think the correct is Greek-Canadian.:confused:

FT's Greek? Ok, how about GrecoCanadian?